Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 16:07   #3946
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I considered a run-in period of 2500 KM and so did Noop, Nilesh and Topspeeder. Quoting again, the entire idea of the run-in is to get the engine used to wide range of RPMs, I did occasionally go to 120 km/hr, but not for long. For a majority of the run-in period I kept the maximum speed to 100 km/hr. Though with the amazing torque its quite tough to do that
Thanks Shantanu..this is really useful...
But did the VW dealership advise on a certain distance/rpm/speed..or was this more from the experience of other drivers...
I'm actually planning a trip on the NH1...and need to know the distance I need to put up with before I can really feel the power
Old 31st January 2012, 16:14   #3947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatiagagan View Post
Thanks Shantanu..this is really useful...
But did the VW dealership advise on a certain distance/rpm/speed..or was this more from the experience of other drivers...
I'm actually planning a trip on the NH1...and need to know the distance I need to put up with before I can really feel the power
The dealer didn't mention anything about the run-in period.
I bought the car on 10th March 2011, did 2500 Km in one month and went on a road trip to Goa on 4th April 2011. So for one month I was taking the Vento everywhere, wherever I was going....

I clocked 2600 Km before starting the trip. then took it on a 1200 Km round trip
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 16:41   #3948
BHPian

A shocking story of Vento bursting into flames. Hope this is one off incident. The car got locked up but the driver was lucky as passer-by's helped him. He escaped with 60% burn!

Car bursts into flames in Pune; owner rescued

Last edited by SR-71 : 31st January 2012 at 16:43.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 20:03   #3949
BHPian

Yup this one is a shocling news indeed. This will become another TATA NANO scene.

VW is in for some trouble. Just goes to say we can't trust even a german build quality here in india, because there is so much of pressure on cost resulting in cost cutting measures.
Old 31st January 2012, 20:34   #3950
Team-BHP Support

^^ I guess (or rather hope) this can be looked at as a one-off incident. It happens even with cars which have zero cost-cutting measures.

Even though slightly OT, check this link. This happened here in 2010.
Old 31st January 2012, 20:56   #3951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Yup this one is a shocling news indeed. This will become another TATA NANO scene.

VW is in for some trouble. Just goes to say we can't trust even a german build quality here in india, because there is so much of pressure on cost resulting in cost cutting measures.
I would rather wait and watch before jumping to that conclusion. We do not know the ground reality - its quiet possible that some stupid custom modification on the car caused the issue. Nevertheless VW should get to the bottom of this and fix issues (if any) for existing owners. In today's competition if we see a couple of more such issues then the Vento might head the Nano way.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 12:12   #3952
BHPian

During the visit to the service center today to get the A/C problem checked, I was told by the SA that the A/C filter has become an issue given that it has collected a lot of dust and has got choked thereby reducing the effectiveness of the A/C. Not sure I have come across this kind of a problem here among TBHP Vento owners. The filter costs INR 700 which I think is pretty high and needs to be replaced as per the SA. I asked the SA if this happens usually or other cars have reported this issue. Got no clear answer. Also he had no answer to my question on how can this be prevented from recurring often. I am not driving through too dusty roads generally but my last road trip did take me through an Afghanistan like war zone. Not sure if that caused the problem.

Also there are two known issues on the A/C listed in the VW support site one being caused by the "O" ring from where leakage of the refrigerant can take place and the other being the evaporator unit from where the leakage of the refrigerant can take place. In both cases the units are to be replaced under warranty. The SA promised to check if there is any leakage and make necessary replacements if needed.

Also asked to check on the clutch vibration issue though its not as pronounced in mine like that of other members. Also there is no noise coming on pressing or releasing the clutch.

Thanks a lot to TBHP member dingolphie for guidance on this
samarjitdhar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 12:57   #3953
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Good info @samarjitdhar. Now question is whether it is a product issue or something we as owners should be responsible for. I am pretty sure, that problem is there in my car too - the AC effect has gone down a bit for sure over the past few weeks.

Apart from that, if you are getting the filter changed, do provide your feedback on the improvement.
Old 1st February 2012, 13:24   #3954
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if I have missed this information earlier, but did you get your car back after repairs? Please post the details when you have some time. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Old 1st February 2012, 16:03   #3955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
During the visit to the service center today to get the A/C problem checked, I was told by the SA that the A/C filter has become an issue given that it has collected a lot of dust and has got choked thereby reducing the effectiveness of the A/C. Not sure I have come across this kind of a problem here among TBHP Vento owners. The filter costs INR 700 which I think is pretty high and needs to be replaced as per the SA. I asked the SA if this happens usually or other cars have reported this issue. Got no clear answer. Also he had no answer to my question on how can this be prevented from recurring often. I am not driving through too dusty roads generally but my last road trip did take me through an Afghanistan like war zone. Not sure if that caused the problem.

Also there are two known issues on the A/C listed in the VW support site one being caused by the "O" ring from where leakage of the refrigerant can take place and the other being the evaporator unit from where the leakage of the refrigerant can take place. In both cases the units are to be replaced under warranty. The SA promised to check if there is any leakage and make necessary replacements if needed.

Also asked to check on the clutch vibration issue though its not as pronounced in mine like that of other members. Also there is no noise coming on pressing or releasing the clutch.

Thanks a lot to TBHP member dingolphie for guidance on this
My A/C also gave problems twice - it was kind of weird , spouting out warm air even at LO setting . Switched off the car and restarted which sorted it out . I am off to your thread to figure out what was the issue.
I think for the amount of dustiness that India has , one service every 15K km is not going to work out for the air filters . Midway through the service interval ( 7-8K) its better to open the air filter and have it cleaned with an air blast .
Old 1st February 2012, 16:07   #3956
Senior - BHPian

I asked the SA on the location of the filter so that I could do it myself. He said its located under the glove compartment. I will check is we can do something ourselves. The AC filter needs to be checked regularly as the air filter I guess.
Old 1st February 2012, 17:07   #3957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar
During the visit to the service center today to get the A/C problem checked, I was told by the SA that the A/C filter has become an issue
It's true. The AC in my Vento started behaving weirdly, suddenly it wouldn't cool at all. Got it checked and rectified the issue at the service centre. Guys, if your AC is not functioning like it was when it was delivered, it's time to call the service centre.
Old 1st February 2012, 19:26   #3958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Sorry if I have missed this information earlier, but did you get your car back after repairs? Please post the details when you have some time. Thanks.
Hi Bala... I haven't got the car yet. But I did visit Abra on Tuesday. Visually they have done a nice job out of the fitting - The car is yet to be polished and make it look as before. So here is the list of parts that has been changed.

- Bonnet
- Driver side fender
- Bumper
- Driver side HL Assembly
- Radiator + AC Condenser
- The connecting hose from the radiator (**)

No impact to chassis and nothing else has been touched (except for the small plastics surrounding these fittings)

(**) They are waiting for this part which is delaying the delivery. Add this to the fact that the SA has gone on vacation until tomorrow. They might miss the promised delivery date by a day or 2 tops.

I am happy that the impact was quiet superficial. I will update you guys once the car is delivered with the full details and post pictures.
Old 1st February 2012, 22:44   #3959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Hope this is one off incident.
Last Saturday my car almost caught fire too, I had waited in the car with the Ac turned on for 30 minutes, after driving for a kilometer after that a thermometer sign lights up. I was in stop and go traffic on a narrow road so I stop at a petrol pump within 2 minutes. When I popped open the bonnet I saw a LOT of smoke coming out of it. After waiting a few minutes I opened the bonnet and the coolant was boiling and leaking from the airtight plastic container. Apparently a fuse in the battery had blown which caused the fan to stop working. Hence the coolant wasn't getting cooled in the radiator and returning to the container boiling hot. I had a feeling it would have caught fire if I had driven on for just a couple of more minutes. I got the fuse changed at the petrol pump and they cooled down the engine by spraying pressurized water on the radiator....and the fuse went of again. They changed it again, topped up the coolant with almost 5 liters of water. Drove the car straight to the service station to get it checked and serviced. The SA wasn't knowledgeable at all and gave me some crap about there being some error in the battery software which they deleted and re-installed which I don't believe at all. As mentioned in my previous posts I have had continuous problems with my car battery with the car not starting sometime, fuses going off, power windows not working et al. Right now the car is fine but If it happens again I am contacting VW directly. This is a serious matter.
Abhinav.Daos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 22:49   #3960
BHPian

Put up my short service update on Bagheera's thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2666663.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Apart from that, if you are getting the filter changed, do provide your feedback on the improvement.
Yes has to be observed over the next few days specially during higher daytime temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
My A/C also gave problems twice - it was kind of weird , spouting out warm air even at LO setting . Switched off the car and restarted which sorted it out . I am off to your thread to figure out what was the issue.
Since its spouting warm air, there definitely is an issue that needs to be checked. I added some details based on my discussion on this issue with my SA. Its on my thread now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I think for the amount of dustiness that India has , one service every 15K km is not going to work out for the air filters . Midway through the service interval ( 7-8K) its better to open the air filter and have it cleaned with an air blast .
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I asked the SA on the location of the filter so that I could do it myself. He said its located under the glove compartment. I will check is we can do something ourselves. The AC filter needs to be checked regularly as the air filter I guess.
The suggestion is to take it out periodically and give it an air blast when you check your tire pressure. That should clear the dust sufficiently as per the SA. They generally clean it as part of their routine checkup. Otherwise it is replaced during the first service depending on its condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
It's true. The AC in my Vento started behaving weirdly, suddenly it wouldn't cool at all. Got it checked and rectified the issue at the service centre. Guys, if your AC is not functioning like it was when it was delivered, it's time to call the service centre.
In your case, what was fixed? Can you post some details please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks