Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 16:47   #4126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Basic query : How would you rate Vento TDI against Cedia in driving dymanics, handling and capabilities of doing high speeds? How would it handle corners/lane changes at high speeds? In the near future, I would definitely do some Autocross Events, TSD's and a definite Leh Ladakh trip.
I'm have a 2011 model but would put forward my point. If the current C segment is looked up there is no better drivers car than Vento TDi. The car will attain its top speed without a problem. Give it a open stretch 186 Kmph will be attained, without any fuss. The stability is tremendous, I even drive a Ford Fiesta Classic TDCi, but the handling is any day better in Vento.

The best part I like about Vento is the braking capability, it decelerates faster than it gains speed. Few times had some very hard braking, but it never disappointed. The car feels solid inside, out. The GC is no issue, the VW mud flaps may hit the road, but they too are solid built.

Make any hasty lane changes, the car is in all control. Brake while changing lane, its sure footed. Another thing which I like about Vento is, in 5 cog doing 50 Kmph, you wont feel engine is sluggish, press the accelerator and you would be doing 100+ in no time. I haven't TD Cedia, but I would still pick Vento any day.

Quote:
Additional 75Nm torque (cedia-175nm, Vento-250nm), Premium Cabin feel, Better Resale Value (I get this strong urges to change vehicle after 2 yrs) , Lower running cost (due to diesel) - Are the points pulling me towards Vento.
That additional torque will get you addicted to itself. 1500 till 3000 rpm is the fun range. The push back effect, nothing beats it. You yourself are aware of the plus points of Vento over Cedia. They are more than enough for you to plonk the money on the VeeDub and you wont be disappointed.
Old 7th March 2012, 16:52   #4127
Senior - BHPian

There it is! Have put my money on the Vento!!! Made the booking finally today. Am going with VW Whitefield. Am promised delivery in 20 days (Shadow Blue color, Petrol AT 2012 model).

Had a talk with all the dealers here in BLR. Both Downtown and Palace were non-commital with the delivery date!!! They wanted me to go for 2011 car (they have few, manufactured in Jun 2011) but I was in no mood to buy such old car. Moreover color of my choice wasnt available. In the end decided to pass on the fabulous 1.2L offer on the 2011 model and go for the latest. I am maybe a bit stupid

The agonising wait starts
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 17:27   #4128
Senior - BHPian

What you had asked for doesnt have anything to do with the 2012 cars. Your question basically revolves around ride, handling, acceleration etc. You have already TD'd the cedia, why not TD the vento and take a decison? You are the best judge in this case.

This thread may not provide you the right answer, since many people here own the vento, but very few have driven the cedia to comment (Including me)!

Good luck to you.

Quote:
Guys, Need some help from existing Vento TDI owners, especially from the recent 2012 production cars.

I am mighty confused between Vento TDI and Mitsubishi Cedia Sports.
Firstly, congratulations on your new car and we look forward to your initial ownership reviews. Hoping you get your car ASAP and till then we'll try to keep you interested and engaged

On a seperate note - I'm still surprised at the number of 2011 vento's VW is trying to clear from their inventory. There has been reports that some of these cars are as old as Jun/Jul 2011 and I wonder what these were doing all this while? Even for petrol models which were not chartbusters, these ought to have been sold by now, isnt it? I cannot think of any reason for diesel models, which had a fairly good demand and waiting period all through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

They wanted me to go for 2011 car (they have few, manufactured in Jun 2011) but I was in no mood to buy such old car. Moreover color of my choice wasnt available. In the end decided to pass on the fabulous 1.2L offer on the 2011 model and go for the latest. I am maybe a bit stupid

The agonising wait starts

Last edited by bala80 : 7th March 2012 at 17:34.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 17:54   #4129
BHPian

Just returned from the Vento TD. The diesel rush is amazing but I felt post 120kmph the car took its own sweet time to reach 140. There is a big circle near my residence. I try to go round around that circle multiple times to check the body roll and see how stable the car is. In the same track I had TDed Rapid, Laura and Yeti. Unfortunately, found the Vento to be the least stable. (No offence to any Vento owners. It is just my personal opinion). Just at 45-50kmph I could hear the tyres screeeech. Same was my wife's reaction as well. She has been with me during all TD's. She said, even Rapid was better than Vento in that circle and was scared the most this time. And yes, TD car was a brand new 2012 model with only 140kms on the ODO.
Since I have TDed Cedia at Mumbai Pune Expressway, will try to get the Cedia at my place and check it at this same stretch. But yes, in Cedia I was flying at 160+ in no time. Did not even realize when I touched that speed.

Just an OFF Topic query.. may be a basic question, but I want to undertand what is the benefit of having higher displacement. My 1200CC Vista does 65ps/96Nm whereas 999CC Wagon R does the same - 65ps/90Nm. Similarly,
- Vento Petrol is 1.6L engine and produces 105ps/153Nm
- Linea T-Jet is 1.4L but still does 114ps/207Nm
while the
- Cedia being a 2.0L engine produces 115ps/175N.
So, whats the benefit of having 2.0L litre engine when power outputs are almost same and differ only by a little margin? For the same/similar power, the car with higher CC should be preferred or the lower CC?

Last edited by aniket.tiwari27 : 7th March 2012 at 18:23. Reason: Adding a query
Old 7th March 2012, 18:14   #4130
BHPian

It is difficult to resist Cedia after TD. I doubt any of these cars will come anywhere close to Cedia in terms of performance and handling.

I think bigger displacement translates to less stressed engine but lower FE and higher weight. It is more to do with technology. What manufacturer wanted to achieve with technology in hand. Experts can comment.
Old 7th March 2012, 19:44   #4131
Senior - BHPian

Your observation is right, but your inference is wrong. The tyres screeching is due to the stock apollo aceleres (or JK's) and happens even on a half descent ghat section if you try to accelerate through the curves. Its simply the tyres losing traction due to the amount of torque available on the front wheels.

Did you observe body roll during this stint? If not then just a change of footwear to better quality one's will solve this problem.

Higher displacement = Better breathing = less stress on engine & components=better engine life. Hence the saying "No replacement for displacement". Threads are available on the forum explaining this. But with the advancement of technology (like turbocharging, supercharging etc), the trend is to extract maximum output from lower displacement engines without compromising on the life of engine and its components.

Quote:
Unfortunately, found the Vento to be the least stable. (No offence to any Vento owners. It is just my personal opinion). Just at 45-50kmph I could hear the tyres screeeech.

Just an OFF Topic query.. may be a basic question, but I want to undertand what is the benefit of having higher displacement.

Last edited by bala80 : 7th March 2012 at 19:46.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 20:48   #4132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Did you observe body roll during this stint? If not then just a change of footwear to better quality one's will solve this problem.
Yes. Immense body roll. Also, the vento's suspension has been tuned more for comfort. Rapid, in turn has slightly stiffer suspension. Hence, Rapid was more composed on the same track than the Vento. Both were running on Apollo Acelere.
Old 7th March 2012, 21:24   #4133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I'm have a 2011 model but would put forward my point. If the current C segment is looked up there is no better drivers car than Vento TDi. The car will attain its top speed without a problem. Give it a open stretch 186 Kmph will be attained, without any fuss. The stability is tremendous, I even drive a Ford Fiesta Classic TDCi, but the handling is any day better in Vento.
I actually found it to be opposite. The vento suspension felt soft and with an uneven road I could feel the car bobbing. The steering had no feel. I drive a fiesta too and with a wider rubber (currently has 175) it will be even better. But the engine is not as good as the vento. The best drivers car, in my opinion, in the c segment is the new fiesta/T-jet.
Old 7th March 2012, 21:25   #4134
Distinguished - BHPian

It's interesting: even the official Rapid review said the same thing: the Rapid has a better suspension setup than the Vento. I feel a little cheated now- the knockoff is better than the original

The Vento is the best-handling car I've driven (not driven the Cedia). The tyre screech may be due to the car being new (140km is nothing) or as bala80 pointed out, the less-than-impressive rubbers they're shod with. Do another TD with an open mind, but if your heart yearns for the Cedia, that's the one you should get!
Old 7th March 2012, 21:56   #4135
Senior - BHPian

Very true. Vento is a neutral handler and the steering though pretty direct doesn't provide you with any feel or feedback. The car won't throw any surprises but isn't as forgiving as a fiesta or a linea.

Rapid may have a stiffer setup which will aid a tad more in handling at the cost of ride quality, where the vento might fare better.

I still feel vento has a good balance between ride and handling for day to day use though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma

The best drivers car, in my opinion, in the c segment is the new fiesta/T-jet.
Old 8th March 2012, 01:23   #4136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just returned from the Vento TD. The diesel rush is amazing but I felt post 120kmph the car took its own sweet time to reach 140. TD car was a brand new 2012 model with only 140kms on the ODO.
A TD car with just 140 Kms on the odo is not mean't to do 140 Kmph, at max 120 Kmph because of the initial break in period. My Vento TDi which is at 3500 kms, you just need to press the accelerator and in no time you would be past 160 and hitting the magic number 186.
Aniket it seems you are more inclined towards the Cedia, if your heart is with it just go for it. It would be nice to have a fellow Mitsubishi owner among us with a detailed review of it. Cedia is just like what Optra Magnum is to Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
But the engine is not as good as the vento. The best drivers car, in my opinion, in the c segment is the new fiesta/T-jet.
Its Vento engine which is far superior than in New Fiesta and even the quality of interiors in Vento is of far greater than Fiesta. T-Jet maybe good, but being a petrol plus Fiat After Sales are a drop down.
So Vento TDi emerges as the best all rounder in the C segment.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:15   #4137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post

Firstly, congratulations on your new car and we look forward to your initial ownership reviews. Hoping you get your car ASAP and till then we'll try to keep you interested and engaged

On a seperate note - I'm still surprised at the number of 2011 vento's VW is trying to clear from their inventory. There has been reports that some of these cars are as old as Jun/Jul 2011 and I wonder what these were doing all this while? Even for petrol models which were not chartbusters, these ought to have been sold by now, isnt it? I cannot think of any reason for diesel models, which had a fairly good demand and waiting period all through...
Thanks Bala. I plan to put up my ownership review (as and when I become an owner). Sure am feeling excited about becoming a VW owner.

I talked to all the dealers here in Bangalore. They all have 2011 models in stock, esp Petrol. For AT that i was asking for, they offered something like 1.2L in discounts (the new 2012 model has no discounts except Corporate Discount). The problem was everyone had old car (Jun 2011 manufactured). I would have been interested if it were Oct or newer. 3 years back I had considered buying the NHC AT (ANHC had just launched at that time) and was getting a fabulous offer from the dealer for that (OTR same as Ex-showroom price of 7.8L) but I visited the dealer yard and found out that the car was quite old (some 10 months) and there was rust here and there!!! I passed on that one. Now also I passed on the 2011 model for the same reason. I think it will be very difficult for the dealers to sell these old cars. Maybe they will go to any new dealerships as demo cars in future.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:51   #4138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Its Vento engine which is far superior than in New Fiesta and even the quality of interiors in Vento is of far greater than Fiesta. T-Jet maybe good, but being a petrol plus Fiat After Sales are a drop down.
So Vento TDi emerges as the best all rounder in the C segment.
The Vento engine is the most powerful (apart from the new verna). But I did find some issues with it. First, the noise. I thought it sounded like the first gen indica. In that sense Fiesta is well insulated and more petrol like in NVH. I felt the fiesta to be better in traffic with its linear response, whereas the vento felt somewhat peaky, but I guess I am used to the old fiesta and hence that observation. Vento does score on space and fit and finish. But, the major issue I have is with VW dealers. They have too much of an attitude problem. They make you feel like they are doing you a favor by selling you a VW. How was your interaction with them?
Old 8th March 2012, 10:15   #4139
Senior - BHPian

Isnt the Rapid manufactured in the same factory with the same parts?

I would like to know if they use the same components for suspension or do they have different spring rates and dampers on Rapid?
Old 8th March 2012, 10:47   #4140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It's interesting: even the official Rapid review said the same thing: the Rapid has a better suspension setup than the Vento. I feel a little cheated now- the knockoff is better than the original

The Vento is the best-handling car I've driven (not driven the Cedia). The tyre screech may be due to the car being new (140km is nothing) or as bala80 pointed out, the less-than-impressive rubbers they're shod with. Do another TD with an open mind, but if your heart yearns for the Cedia, that's the one you should get!
Down the line then we can upgrade our vento's suspensions with the ones on rapid i am sure they will be a direct fit.

Which cars are you comparing the Vento's handling with? I mean which cars did you miss to drive. I havent yet faced any screeching sound even while making turns on high speed in the ghats. Agreed the rubbers should be upgraded on this fast machine though.

Ventos handling- read it more as steering rather than suspension set up is just neutral. Nor good nor bad. There is no feedback whatsoever and the steering feels manipulated. Doing high speed on curvy highways is not as inspiring as other good handling cars.

I loved the Jettas steering , it was better than the ventos.

Most Viewed