Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 22:22   #4201
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Just bought a new Vento HL Diesel 2 weeks back.
I have been noticing squeaking sounds from my driver side window while on slightly rough roads. These sounds seem to disappear when the front window is a fraction rolled down.
Could these be due to faulty door beadings.
Would these be covered in standard warranty?
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:24   #4202
BHPian

So I am back with the complete story of the second service.
The experience was good, first things first, the second service costed me INR 12,000/-

This amount is on the other side of 10K because I went for a brake pads replacement, considering that 80% of the run is inside the city, the brake pads change costed me INR 2000/- with the labor, so you can deduct that amount, so all in all the second service (30,000 KM) costed me INR 10,000/-

In the last one year I have already recovered the cost difference between the petrol and diesel Vento, thanks to my high mileage!

VW Palace cross in Bangalore have some amazing customer service. There was some issue with the wheel alignment of the car, after it came back from the service. The Manager service, Mr Hamid was in touch with me, after I gave them this feedback, they got the vehicle picked up and tried to rectify again, still there were some issues according to my liking, so he wanted to pick up the vehicle again for a day. When I pointed out that I am paralyzed without my car as my workplace is 30 KM from my home, he readily got me a test drive Polo TDI given for a day, so that I am mobile!

I would like to quote Steve Jobbs here " World is not perfect, Mobile phones are not perfect, we just want to see our customers happy"

This small gesture of his has won me as a customer for life! Now Shadowfax is not going anywhere else for service other than VW Palace Cross!

Will scan and upload my bill copy as well by tomorrow!

Last edited by noopster : 22nd March 2012 at 15:17.
evilshantanu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 15:31   #4203
BHPian

Wanted to share with all you a mechanical issue that i encountered in my Vento TDI in Feb-12. Was driving down from Mumbai to Goa. Started off at 1:30 am midnight to avoid the Mumbai traffic. Weather was cold and hence to begin the engine initially was sluggish for 15-20 mins and later it was revving freely. On the Mumbai Pune exp highway stretched the car and being true to its potential the car was doing 140- 160 Kmph easily. No abnormal noise observed even when slowing down or halting for paying toll. Reached Pune had to pick up a friend there and was back on the highway.

Then the problem started . Time was around 4:00 am . Outside Temperature reading was showing 8- 12 Degrees. First on the Dashboard display the coil sign cam on (The sign that comes while you put the ignition in on mode and then goes off indicating that you can start). Had stopped to pay toll and then proceeded and after crossing the speed of 70-80 kmph. felt a sudden loss of power. Throttle response was not the usual one and the coil sign was on. So stopped the car opened the bonnet and checked if there is any issue with coolant, level was OK. Checked the oil level. Oil quality had got degraded a bit (assumed it could be because of the high speeds done). So went in and again started the engine and after the start the coil sign went off. So thought it could have been a temporary problem. Crossed the 80 kmph and again car was driving well no problem.

Again after 10 mins after slowing down (due to two trucks going on a morning stroll together) when i tried to pick up the speed the coil sign came on again and so the did the loss of power. Tried calling up the VW Helpline but was not able to get through. Was now beginning to think it would be a problem with the turbo not kicking in (was right as a i later found out). Another thought that crossed my mind was did this have anything to do with low temperatures. At some stretches in Satara area the outside temperature was as low as 5 -6 degrees.

On straight road stretches was able to reach speeds of 100 -110 kmph however the pickup was very slow.. Later the other indicator also came on (In the shape of a motor). Decided that will drive up till Goa and then give the car for servicing. Some how managed to reach Baga in Goa at 9:30. Called up the VW Service center at Panjim - Cauculo Automobiles.
Must say the customer service standard experience here was outstanding. They quickly arranged for a driver who would come and pick up the car. In 1 hr the driver was there . Handed over the car and after 3 hours got callback stating that the Reinforced Rubber Pipe that supplies AIR from the Turbo to the engine had got punctured and that the same had to be replaced. That was the reason why the turbo was not kicking in. Was told that since the car was in warranty period (speedo read 28,500 Kms) the replacement will be done free of cost. However they stated that they did not have the part in stock and it would take at least 7 days for the part to arrive.

I was in Goa only for the weekend (plan was to drive back on Monday morning) and asked if they had a work around. Next day they called up and offered me a solution - (Cant state the same in this forum). Was able to pick up the car on Monday Morning. I also got the 2nd Service done. Service quality was much better than that what i encountered at Thane VW center . Total bill with 2 nd Service done came upto 8,750 approx. Asked them if they had come across such issue earlier. They stated only one of the Polo'S had come in with such a problem.

While i was very happy with the service at Goa. I am disappointed that the Pipe (Its located on the right side ,slightly behind the engine plastic top gaurd) developed a puncture. I owned a Maruti Swift previously . Covered 1,05,000 kms in it. Did a lot of long drives - Mumbai -Jammu , Kerala , AP , Tamil Nadu etc and never in spite of pushing it hard faced any mechanical break down.

One key thing to note is that i had noticed a lot of black soot on the top of this pipe and while getting the front brake pads changed at VW Center Thane had asked them to check it. They simply said it is the effect of the condensation. The Service Rep at Goa - Mr Lenin stated that it could have been because of a minor puncture in the pipe that later got wide open at the high speed......

Last edited by manson : 22nd March 2012 at 15:38.
Swift Express is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:08   #4204
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
Then the problem started . Time was around 4:00 am . Outside Temperature reading was showing 8- 12 Degrees. First on the Dashboard display the coil sign cam on (The sign that comes while you put the ignition in on mode and then goes off indicating that you can start). Had stopped to pay toll and then proceeded and after crossing the speed of 70-80 kmph. felt a sudden loss of power. Throttle response was not the usual one and the coil sign was on. So stopped the car opened the bonnet and checked if there is any issue with coolant, level was OK. Checked the oil level. Oil quality had got degraded a bit (assumed it could be because of the high speeds done). So went in and again started the engine and after the start the coil sign went off. So thought it could have been a temporary problem. Crossed the 80 kmph and again car was driving well no problem.
I also encountered the same issue, when my ODO Reading was 17,000 KM however in my case the pipe that supplies fresh air to the turbo has a leak. Moral of the story, the glow plug comes in case of all general ECU alarms and malfunctions

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2012 at 14:06. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
evilshantanu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:55   #4205
Senior - BHPian

@evilshantanu - Thanks for the service update. You had said the brake pads cost around 2k? Is it for both front and rear, cost is definitely very reasonable. Please do post the scan of the bill when you can.

Rightly said about the glow plug, it indicates an engine malfunction, which when connected to the VAS will tell you the exact nature of the error code registered in ECU.
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:35   #4206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
This amount is on the other side of 10K because I went for a brake pads replacement, considering that 80% of the run is inside the city, the brake pads change costed me INR 2000/- with the labor
Thanks for the update. Is the cost of brake pads for both front and rear? Were the brake pads really that exhausted which made the change necessary, because I had seen a Polo TDi which got its 4th service at 60,000 Kms, workshop replaced both brake pads and disc in front for the first time.

Quote:
I was in Goa only for the weekend (plan was to drive back on Monday morning) and asked if they had a work around. Next day they called up and offered me a solution - (Cant state the same in this forum).
Thanks for sharing the experience. So did you get the pipe replaced or the juggad done from VW Goa still works? Pardon me if I missed that part.
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:57   #4207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Thanks for sharing the experience. So did you get the pipe replaced or the juggad done from VW Goa still works? Pardon me if I missed that part.
The Pipe fitted was brand new. Hint on the jugaad. There is inventory of TDI Vehicles !!!!! albeit not that high at most VW dealers
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:24   #4208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
So I am back with the complete story of the second service. The experience was good
Immediately after Shantanu got back his car, I had given my car to VW Palace Cross for it's first service. I too had a good experience overall. The service set me back by Rs. 10,500. Here are the key points and some surprises too:
  • AC filter, fuel filter, dust/pollen filter all got replaced.
  • Engine oil (5l) and windscreen liquid got topped up.
  • There was a tiny puncture in my left front tyre. They fixed that.
  • They cleaned up the brake pads and the brake drums.
  • The SA said my car was not in the list for the hydraulic engine mount replacement.
  • I had complained about the clutch vibration and noise. They did fiddle around with it. It is a lighter and quieter now. After a ten minute run, it becomes super quiet. Not sure if they actually replaced the clutch hose. I saw something about pressure hose adjustment in their internal job sheet.
  • They also probably fiddled with the power steering. It is a lot heavier now at low speeds and more confidence inspiring than earlier.
  • An ECU update was done. Again, they did not mention this in the invoice.
  • That ECU update (or probably the fuel filter replacement) resulted in an improved power delivery. The rubber band effect is less pronounced now and the accelerator is quicker to respond at lower RPMs (especially in the 2nd gear).
  • No change in NVH levels.
  • They tightened the hand brake. Earlier, it had to be pulled up all the way up and then a little more if the car was parked on a gradient. Now it is nice and tight even at a short angle. Good for me as it now does not touch the armrest at all.
  • AC is way better at cooling the cabin now. Set at 22°C, it chills me down to the bone! Also, the rotten smell at AC start is now gone.
  • Only one small crack in the whole service experience -- they enabled autolock (at 15kmph) feature but did not enable the auto-unlock feature!

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2012 at 20:56. Reason: If you can upload the price break-up for the 10.5k, that would be awesome. Thanks.
nileshch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 00:00   #4209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Thanks for the update. Is the cost of brake pads for both front and rear? Were the brake pads really that exhausted which made the change necessary, because I had seen a Polo TDi which got its 4th service at 60,000 Kms, workshop replaced both brake pads and disc in front for the first time.
Front Disc Brake pads change set me back by Rs 2417 . Cost of the set is Rs 1565 plus vat @12.5% = 195. Plus was charged labour of Rs 656.

In my case Left wheel brake pads were completly worn out and there was a screeching sound coming. Hence went for an immediate change. The service rep told me that the car was brought in on time otherwise the disc would also have got damaged.

Brake Pad wear depends on the style of driving, high speed runs with combination of bumper to bumper traffic will wear it down further. In my case construction site dust may also have played a role.
Old 23rd March 2012, 20:49   #4210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case construction site dust may also have played a role.
Dust also plays a role in abnormally low power delivery in case the air filters get clogged , do you take any precaution such as more frequent service ? Any chance that the pipe puncture that you experienced during your Goa trip could have been due to the dusty environment at construction sites ? Dust particles being sucked at high speeds can cause great damage. Just speculating / thinking aloud .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 10:49   #4211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
*Only one small crack in the whole service experience -- they enabled autolock (at 15kmph) feature but did not enable the auto-unlock feature!
Is there an auto-unlock feature? (I'm assuming you mean the doors should automatically unlock once again below a certain speed).

Sounds unlikely to me -- why would you need that? Since the doors can be opened from the inside at any time, this auto-lock feature is only to prevent someone opening the car door from the outside whilst the car is at a stand-still. Eg. Somewhere along your journey, say at a signal. Auto un-lock would defeat that purpose entirely...

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th March 2012 at 10:50.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:50   #4212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Is there an auto-unlock feature? (I'm assuming you mean the doors should automatically unlock once again below a certain speed).
Rehaan , I think Nilesh is speaking about the auto unlock once the keys are removed from the ignition slot - the same is enabled in my Vento
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 11:51   #4213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan

Sounds unlikely to me -- why would you need that? Since the doors can be opened from the inside at any time, this auto-lock feature is only to prevent someone opening the car door from the outside whilst the car is at a stand-still. Eg. Somewhere along your journey, say at a signal. Auto un-lock would defeat that purpose entirely...

cya
R
He's referring to the doors unlocking itself after the engine is turned off, it can be activated.
Old 24th March 2012, 12:06   #4214
BHPian

Quote:

No, there is an auto-unlock feature really. When you remove the key from the ignition, all doors get unlocked. It's useful when you are planning to get out of the car anyway and would like to open the door for someone!

From what I remember, Sourav got this enabled for his car last year. So I told the same thing to the SA but he did not do it.

Also, I have uploaded the bill for the service here -- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2724502

Last edited by nileshch : 24th March 2012 at 12:08. Reason: Added link to bill
nileshch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 15:46   #4215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there an auto-unlock feature? (I'm assuming you mean the doors should automatically unlock once again below a certain speed)
There exist auto-unlock feature when you remove the key from the ignition after turning off the engine. The best use of it say I'm the only one in the car and I have kept some files/stuff at the back seat. I come out the car and try to open the rear door but it wont open, as I just opened my door to come out and all the other doors remain locked from outside.
So when you remove the key from ignition all the four doors unlock and you can easily open any door from outside. It also one of the best feature of Vento as compared to auto lock at 15Kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
From what I remember, Sourav got this enabled for his car last year. So I told the same thing to the SA but he did not do it.
Well it was me who first got the auto-unlock on key removal from ignition, auto-lock at 15Kmph and auto-lock of fuel lid at 5 Kmph on my Vento before anyone. Link.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed