Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 15:53   #4246
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
Can anyone confirm that the sound of the turbo kicking in at higher rpms does indeed sound this way ? I did not find any appreciable reduction in accelaration etc. Even with this gasping/wheezing the car did pull cleanly upto 140 kmh. The sound was however more dependent on the rpm and not the speed of the vehicle.
The sweet sound you hear is of turbo and going full throttle. The turbo maxes as 2500 rpm, so you get to hear what is termed as turbo whistle. Nothing to worry about it's all normal. And yes sound is not dependent on the speed but on the rpm. The sound comes on between 2000-3000 rpm.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 19:51   #4247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Getting a 2011 model at a good discount, nothing better when everything is in place. Below are my views and they should help your sister with the purchase.

First of all ask the SA for the Vin number of the car and use it to decode to find the manufacturing date of the car. By this you know when was the car manufactured and since when it has been in stockyard.
Vin Decoding

Once you are aware of the manufacturing date, ask the SA that you want to do a PDi of the car before you put down the money, so that you would have seen the car in person and are aware of all the aspects.
T-Bhp PDi List

Deliveries/Manufacturing of 2012 model would only start once the stock of 2011 is exhausted. July is still 3 months away and that a long wait that too for a petrol car.

The only difference that 2012 TDi Highline model has over 2011 model is that the 2012 model comes with leatherette seat covers. Don't know about changes to petrol 2012 model.

If you decide to go with 2011, try to extract as much discount as possible and do purchase 2+2 yrs Extended Warranty at the time of purchase. With German cars better safe than sorry.
Thanks a ton for the reply. I have already given the vin no location and decoding thread to sis. I will update on this thread once i get the VIN no from her. If its only the seat covers then i will ask them to get the 2011 model itself. Will inform regarding extended warranty also
Old 10th April 2012, 20:52   #4248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post

Upon inquiring about 2012 model the SA told that its not available yet, not ready to given quotation also(hinted 50k increase in price which makes it ~10L), earliest delivery will be in July for 2012 model. is this info correct ? any VW owner or any one who has booked vento recently pls help.

Can anyone tell what is the difference between 2011 and 2012 models ? Or send me a link, i tried looking in this thread but could not find.
Any thing else i should be looking ?
Regarding the 2012 model, here is a mail from VW that one of my friend got for his booking (done in November):

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: VWVI R: Pune, Customercaresales <Customercaresales@volkswagen.co.in>
Date: 30 March 2012 09:58
Subject: RE: Vento Petrol AT Inquiry
To: X Y

Dear Mr. Y,

Greetings from Volkswagen Passenger Cars India!!!

We wish to inform you that the latest update we have regarding production of Vento Petrol 2012 models is that there has been an indefinite delay with regards to the same.

This is a production led decision beyond our control.

We will also have your dealer contact you and provide you with detailed information regarding the same.

We aplogise for the inconvenience caused and appreciate you understanding.

Warm Regards ,
Customer care
Sales

So you can guage yourself that 2012 models are still not in production and it is not known when they will be, although there are some unconfirmed indications that production will start later this month. However there is lot of confusion and talking to different dealers I got different vibes, one of them was non-commital, one said 2 months and another one said 5 months!!!

You can consider the 2011 model provided it was not a demo car (but is there a way to know that?) I was offered sops around 1.2L for a 2012 car. With recent price change it further comes to almost 1.5L. That is not a bad deal.

As for the changes w.r.t. 2011 model, the 2012 model gets leatherette seats, upgraded music system (310), steering mounted controls and parking sensors. I think in 2011 these were available only on Diesel Ventos.

Last edited by joslicx : 10th April 2012 at 20:55.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 19:02   #4249
BHPian

Dear Ventoheads

For the past 3 months I have been facing a unique problem with the A/C. The cooling seems to come down considerably as time passes, so much so that I had to replace the A/C pollen filter once more today to restore the cooling. I generally keep the A/C in "Auto" mode at 22/23 degrees which means it switches between outside air and re-circulation. The first time the problem had happened, I thought it was due to that harrowing drive I took through some really dusty roads which caused the problem. However after replacing the filter with a new one I have not really driven in dusty conditions much and also taken care to switch to re-circulation mode at the slightest hint of dust. Still I find the filter conked out with dust and I have had to replace it again today. Once it is replaced cooling returns to its normal behavior. I am posting some pics of the dusty a/c pollen filter below.

Dusty a/c pollen filter
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-04112012701.jpg

According to the SA this is the kind of dust which makes it difficult to clean and warrants a replacement
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-04112012702.jpg

Dusty a/c pollen filter - another view
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-04112012703.jpg

I had an extended and animated discussion with the SAs at the workshop and according to them I should be using re-circulation mode mostly instead of staying on auto to keep out dust as much as possible. I asked them if they have seen the same problem with other Ventos in the city to which they said no. Also if I am not really driving through dusty roads why should the a/c pollen filter clog up so much? According to them these can be cleaned by them but in my case it had reached a condition where it cannot be cleaned and must be replaced. Now for all of this I would appreciate opinions from fellow Vento owners here. I might be taken for a ride here by the workshop guys. Specially around this a/c pollen filter since it had to be bought and not covered under warranty I wouldn't like to spend INR 800 frequently so hoping there is a better solution to this issue.

PS: The SA also told me another interesting thing about running the a/c in re-circulation mode. He said that the a/c after every 20 minutes lets in fresh air from outside even when I am running in the re-circulation mode. This sounded a bit strange to me. Can someone confirm about this feature/bug if it happens in the Vento? Seriously one of these days I will have to start going through all the service manuals of the car to get proper knowledge before getting things fixed from the service center .
Old 11th April 2012, 19:19   #4250
Senior - BHPian

I was about to suggest you this. I never ever run my car in fresh air mode irrespective of whether it is in the city or out in the highway. Irrespective of whether you are driving through dusty conditions or not, there are still enough suspended particles outthere that can clog the filters. Also, the cooling effect is more pronounced with the re-circulation on compared to fresh-air mode, The compressor has to work overtime to cool the fresh air from outside, which reduces the cooling effect inside the cabin (and marginally reduces the FE too). I dont see a merit in using the fresh air mode, more so due to the second point you had raised.

Yes, it is indeed true that the modern ACC systems (not only in vento, but with many other modern cars), switch to fresh air mode once in every designated interval. This is done to release the CO2 which we exhale inside the cabin. Its a different story that the car cabin isnt completely air-tight even with re-circulation mode on, but thats a different discussion altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I had an extended and animated discussion with the SAs at the workshop and according to them I should be using re-circulation mode mostly instead of staying on auto to keep out dust as much as possible.

PS: The SA also told me another interesting thing about running the a/c in re-circulation mode. He said that the a/c after every 20 minutes lets in fresh air from outside even when I am running in the re-circulation mode. This sounded a bit strange to me. Can someone confirm about this feature/bug if it happens in the Vento? Seriously one of these days I will have to start going through all the service manuals of the car to get proper knowledge before getting things fixed from the service center .
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 19:34   #4251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I was about to suggest you this. I never ever run my car in fresh air mode irrespective of whether it is in the city or out in the highway. Irrespective of whether you are driving through dusty conditions or not, there are still enough suspended particles outthere that can clog the filters. Also, the cooling effect is more pronounced with the re-circulation on compared to fresh-air mode, The compressor has to work overtime to cool the fresh air from outside, which reduces the cooling effect inside the cabin (and marginally reduces the FE too). I dont see a merit in using the fresh air mode, more so due to the second point you had raised.

Yes, it is indeed true that the modern ACC systems (not only in vento, but with many other modern cars), switch to fresh air mode once in every designated interval. This is done to release the CO2 which we exhale inside the cabin. Its a different story that the car cabin isnt completely air-tight even with re-circulation mode on, but thats a different discussion altogether.
Firstly I just noticed that you turned Senior BHPian, many congrats .

Thanks for your input on this. Yes I did feel that in re-circulation mode the cooling was more intense. So does the "auto" mode only ensures that the a/c switches between fresh air and re-circulation or are there any other functions it performs which one might be missing out? I probably should read the manual more carefully to understand this one
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 19:56   #4252
Senior - BHPian

Dear Samarjitdhar - Thank you very much for your wishes, thanks to the experience with VW and vento, its been a pleasure interacting with the fellow vento owners.

Turning on re-circulation also makes the ACC of vento act like a semi-automatic, in the sense that the unit controls the blower speed. Still good enough, I'd say!

P.S - All good things need to come to an end, my vento experience too is about to come to an end. My work requires me to travel frequently and this time around, the travel duration is going to be pretty long, say 3 to 5 years. So, you know whats going to happen..:( (I'm saddended beyond words)

Quote:
Firstly I just noticed that you turned Senior BHPian, many congrats .

Thanks for your input on this. Yes I did feel that in re-circulation mode the cooling was more intense. So does the "auto" mode only ensures that the a/c switches between fresh air and re-circulation or are there any other functions it performs which one might be missing out? I probably should read the manual more carefully to understand this one
Old 11th April 2012, 20:53   #4253
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Samarjitdhar - Thank you very much for your wishes, thanks to the experience with VW and vento, its been a pleasure interacting with the fellow vento owners.
Likewise

Quote:
P.S - All good things need to come to an end, my vento experience too is about to come to an end. My work requires me to travel frequently and this time around, the travel duration is going to be pretty long, say 3 to 5 years. So, you know whats going to happen..:( (I'm saddended beyond words)
What a pity. I can fully understand missing that turbo pull wherever you go. 3-5 years is a really long time but hope you have a very nice and comfortable stay wherever you go. You know in the US there was this Beemer 335d which I hear they have now phased out. It used to have 265 BHP with 550 Nm torque at 1750 RPM. The highway mileage was 36 MPG. If you are in the US, try to get hands on a beast like that to replace that Vento feeling
Old 11th April 2012, 21:15   #4254
Senior - BHPian

I'm actually supposed to be deputed in US and hence started my car research there. However, since I'm moving along with my family and kids, got to play it safe for a while. Vento was a fantastic car, dont think I can afford to replace it with another german in US, but planning to initially settle for a japanese (used car) and then may be look to upgrade down the line...

Quote:

You know in the US there was this Beemer 335d which I hear they have now phased out. It used to have 265 BHP with 550 Nm torque at 1750 RPM. The highway mileage was 36 MPG. If you are in the US, try to get hands on a beast like that to replace that Vento feeling
Old 11th April 2012, 21:21   #4255
Senior - BHPian

Need some help fellow Vento owners!

Just came back from a short drive and don't know why low beam is not coming on. I did turn the switch completely to the right most direction and no low beam, only parking lights. High beam, fog lamps & parking lights all working fine. But no low beam. I recently changed the bulbs and as I don't do much night driving, so bulbs shouldn't conk off so and even high beam is working fine.

Even before many a times it did happen, that low beam wouldn't come on and after restarting car and turning the headlight switch few times, low beam used to come on. So didn't pay attention to get it checked. But now low beam is completely gone. Will check once again in morning, might come back on. During the first paid service done on 4 Apr'12 all was working fine.

I'm thinking the headlight switch is not working fine. What do you all think. Car is a VW Vento TDi HL Apr'11.
Old 12th April 2012, 00:58   #4256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah this happens on my Polo as well every 20 mins or so you get a strong smell of outside air.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Bala! Got a lot of info from your posts till now
Old 12th April 2012, 07:30   #4257
BHPian

I am very sure you will soon find a befitting car in US. Nevertheless, we will miss your updates on Vento. Your posts helped me a lot to know the dos and don'ts of Vento.

P.S - All good things need to come to an end, my vento experience too is about to come to an end. My work requires me to travel frequently and this time around, the travel duration is going to be pretty long, say 3 to 5 years. So, you know whats going to happen..:( (I'm saddended beyond words)[/quote]
Old 12th April 2012, 15:06   #4258
BHPian

Quote:
Need some help fellow Vento owners!

Just came back from a short drive and don't know why low beam is not coming on. I did turn the switch completely to the right most direction and no low beam, only parking lights. High beam, fog lamps & parking lights all working fine. But no low beam. I recently changed the bulbs and as I don't do much night driving, so bulbs shouldn't conk off so and even high beam is working fine.
Based on your earlier posts, I do remember you have an relay, you may want verify that is working fine. Because switch looks very solid.
Old 12th April 2012, 16:31   #4259
Senior - BHPian

Problem:
Just came back from a short drive and don't know why low beam is not coming on. I did turn the switch completely to the right most direction and no low beam, only parking lights. High beam, fog lamps & parking lights all working fine.

Solution:
Even in the morning checked the headlight, still no low beam. So while returning back today in the afternoon called up SA with whom I had interacted during the 1st service. At first he didn't want me to bring the car as they were having other to service, but on request he said he will have it checked with the mechanic.

Went in the afternoon at 3 pm today. SA took the car into the workshop and first thing he did is opened the bonnet & said "Sir the wiring is tampered, I cannot do any thing".

Of course I had PMP relays installed with Philips white light 100/90W bulbs. I asked the SA to at least get it checked as there may be a problem with the switch. A mechanic checked the relay on the LHS and found one of the fuse to be slightly melted. He rubbed it and installed it again.
Fired up the engine and turned the switch to right side and low beam got working. So the problem was with the fuse in the LHS relay.

Asked SA if they did have such fuse, but he refused. Got to have it replaced from a FNAG(Friendly Neighborhood Accessory Guy). Time taken 10 mins, charge nil.

But what bothers me is, VW has problem with even small modification with their cars and relay actually prevents the wiring harness from any problem due to 100/90W bulbs heat.

I'm actually planning to have the stock speakers changed to components both front and rear. After listening to Morel in my dads Fiesta, Vento stock speakers sound dud. Seems if I did change the speakers, HU with a amplifier, SA wouldn't even take the car in workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Based on your earlier posts, I do remember you have an relay, you may want verify that is working fine. Because switch looks very solid.
Yes I do have relays and you are spot on, the problem was with the LHS relays fuse. The switch is very solid indeed. Any idea why is it so, if one relay fuse goes out, either of the RHS & LHS low beam do not work?

Quote:
Bala what might if you did get a better car than a Vento and with no petrol or diesel divide in developed countries, you would be able to enjoy a V8 or V6 symphony. The roads too would be far better and road sense too.
One thing I always say to myself when something happens which I didn't desire in the first place "Whatever happens is only for the good". That keeps me going.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 16:49   #4260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Problem:
Just came back from a short drive and don't know why low beam is not coming on. I did turn the switch completely to the right most direction and no low beam, only parking lights. High beam, fog lamps & parking lights all working fine.
Ditto problem I had faced in my Indica two years back, high beam working & low beam not (I have the same set-up of 100/90 Watts with a relay). Went to Lucas TVS. The mechanic there first checked the bulb dipper filaments, both were good. He then replaced the relay with a new one & bingo it worked. So the old PMP relay was replaced with a new Hella one for Rs 200/- (labor free).

Quote:
I'm actually planning to have the stock speakers changed to components both front and rear. After listening to Morel in my dads Fiesta, Vento stock speakers sound dud. Seems if I did change the speakers, HU with a amplifier, SA wouldn't even take the car in workshop.
Yes at times these Service Centre guys act too finicky. But just changing the speakers should not void the warranty.

Quote:
One thing I always say to myself when something happens which I didn't desire in the first place "Whatever happens is only for the good". That keeps me going.
Well said . Even I follow the same principle. This makes you more relaxed & keeps away unpleasant thoughts from disturbing your mind.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks