Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 11:36   #4306
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
For how many kms do you change the engine oil and which oil do you use?
I own a petrol i20 & as per the schedule I get the engine oil changed every 10000km. The service center guys refill the Hyundai approved engine oil, not sure about the brand, but I am pretty certain its not synthetic because they never charged me 4 grand for oil change.
Old 25th April 2012, 13:49   #4307
BHPian

Innova Diesel (102ps/200Nm) has inferior power figures as compared to Vento TDI (105ps/250Nm) but why does it appear to be faster and quicker? Is it the displacement?
Though I was in my Vento TDI, at various toll booths, I found Innova picking up speed quite faster.

Last edited by aniket.tiwari27 : 25th April 2012 at 13:49. Reason: Typo correction.
Old 25th April 2012, 14:01   #4308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Innova Diesel (102ps/200Nm) has inferior power figures as compared to Vento TDI (105ps/250Nm) but why does it appear to be faster and quicker? Is it the displacement?
Though I was in my Vento TDI, at various toll booths, I found Innova picking up speed quite faster.
I think there are a lot of factors for that.
1) Depends on the load in the Innova / Vento.
2) Depends on the road condition.
and last but not the least
it depends on the driver to the largest extent.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 17:38   #4309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would also add - depends on the power curve as the aforesaid power is but just one point on the curve, one that is rarely achieved. How much power is produced across the RPM range is what is important.
Old 25th April 2012, 18:00   #4310
Senior - BHPian

Highlighted the key word below. Any which way you see it, Vento is much faster in both outright as well as in-gear acceleration compared to the innova. In your case, it purely was a case of innova driver pushing the car aggressively and nothing else. Also, european cars mask the speed much better compared to their Japanese counterparts.

Even the power/weight ratio of innova is much higher compared to the vento and this statement cannot be true at all. Innova for all its bulk and weight carrying ability is actually underpowered IMO. It could do well with additional 25 odd horses.

P.S - This discussion is OT for this thread so lets not continue this any further.

Quote:
but why does it appear to be faster and quicker?
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 14:19   #4311
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely not. I have an innova , so I know. Innova is in no way faster than vento or rapid, even with only 1 person. Maybe you were light footed.
Old 26th April 2012, 14:55   #4312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Absolutely not. I have an innova , so I know. Innova is in no way faster than vento or rapid, even with only 1 person. Maybe you were light footed.
Thanks MXX. You made my day

May be you are right when you say that I was light footed because during that trip my Vento TDI had just completed its run-in period after a long 2300Kms trip and odo was just at about 3000Kms. I was still cautious enough not to rev the engine beyond 2500rpm.

Now that my Vento has crossed 3500Kms, in my upcoming trips I have the flexibility to unleash the beast within, rev a little hard, have fun and will try to outrun an innova. Just kidding.. No offense to any Innova owners.
Old 26th April 2012, 15:41   #4313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that my Vento has crossed 3500Kms, in my upcoming trips I have the flexibility to unleash the beast within, rev a little hard, have fun and will try to outrun an innova. Just kidding.. No offense to any Innova owners.
Forget Innova, you'll be able to outrun several hatchbacks, sedans, MUVs & SUVs. And give the rest a good run for their money.
And this is not just on matters of acceleration/speed, but also handling and driveability on all kind of highway roads.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th April 2012 at 15:46.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 17:33   #4314
BHPian

For those who might have missed reading this article about VW, here is a must-read article that appeared in Economic Times.

Check the graph in particular - Vento sales never outmatched that of Verna's! But looking at a projection, it might happen in coming months.
blackdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 23:04   #4315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel
For those who might have missed reading this article about VW, here is a must-read article that appeared in Economic Times.

Check the graph in particular - Vento sales never outmatched that of Verna's! But looking at a projection, it might happen in coming months.
First up most of these TOI group newspapers either carry these articles as paid ones or filler ones so one must take it with a bucketful of salt . Vento will never outmatch Verna unless there is a product problem with Verna or a production breakdown at Hyundai. Verna is a typical Hyundai car which is built to please , gives quite a few extra fancy features at the same price point, better looking car so extremely suited to the Indian psyche . VW will extract its pound of flesh for the badge ( rapid vs vento ) which adds another dimension , while Hyundai will always be aggressively priced which will find more favour with buyers . The talking point of a vento vis-a-vis Verna are for more involved drivers , most Indian buyers care more about the folding ORVMs , rear view camera and of course the fluidic curves . Even though I am a very satisfied and proud owner of a Vento , the other day I advised a colleague to buy tHe Verna because he asked me 3 questions and compare vento vs Verna - (1) which has more features / free stuff thrown in ? (2) which has better and more service centres? (3) which has better mileage ?
There will be more buyers who will decide like this than otherwise
souravc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 09:38   #4316
BHPian

I have a question to Vento owners: I just had my car's first service, where the workshop charged Rs 1257/- towards Fuel Filter. El_Lobo was mentioning my in my thread that fuel filter for his car was replaced free of cost under warranty. When I checked with the service guys, they said they cannot do it under warranty for me. Can you guys enlighten me on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
First up most of these TOI group newspapers either carry these articles as paid ones or filler ones so one must take it with a bucketful of salt . Vento will never outmatch Verna unless there is a product problem with Verna or a production breakdown at Hyundai. Verna is a typical Hyundai car which is built to please , gives quite a few extra fancy features at the same price point, better looking car so extremely suited to the Indian psyche . VW will extract its pound of flesh for the badge ( rapid vs vento ) which adds another dimension , while Hyundai will always be aggressively priced which will find more favour with buyers . The talking point of a vento vis-a-vis Verna are for more involved drivers , most Indian buyers care more about the folding ORVMs , rear view camera and of course the fluidic curves . Even though I am a very satisfied and proud owner of a Vento , the other day I advised a colleague to buy tHe Verna because he asked me 3 questions and compare vento vs Verna - (1) which has more features / free stuff thrown in ? (2) which has better and more service centres? (3) which has better mileage ?
I agree that the percentage of buyers looking at "additional" features & price points are more as compared to those looking at core features. And if that is the reason, what could be the reason that in March 2012, Vento sales was 3908, while Verna's was 4132; which are almost matching?
Old 27th April 2012, 10:10   #4317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Even though I am a very satisfied and proud owner of a Vento , the other day I advised a colleague to buy tHe Verna because he asked me 3 questions and compare vento vs Verna - (1) which has more features / free stuff thrown in ? (2) which has better and more service centres? (3) which has better mileage ?
Ditto here. In fact when it comes to the general public, when they query me, I eventually end advising them not to look at VW/Skoda options, considering the initial criteria they put forward to me. And then inevitably the Q comes up - why did you then buy the Vento!

I can only smile in reply!
Old 27th April 2012, 19:33   #4318
Senior - BHPian

Seems like VW has quietly increased price of the 2012 Petrol Vento.

Came to know that the new price of the Petrol Highline AT is 9.82L (ex-showroom) which means an increase of about 45k over the previous price (9.37L ex). This translates to about 11.98 on road for us Bangaloreans (thats an increase of about 50k).

Changes compared to 2011 model: Addition of steering mounted controls, RCD310 music player, reverse parking sensors and omission of internal surveillance unit. Leatherette seats are NOT there on the Petrol Highline (nor in AT).

With this price increase, finally VW Vento is more expansive than ANHC V. I dont know about the entry model though.

For reference, the 2012 Tdi Highline is still much more expensive at 12.75L OTR here in Bangalore.

Last edited by joslicx : 27th April 2012 at 19:35.
Old 27th April 2012, 20:14   #4319
Senior - BHPian

Received this e-mail from VW. Seems they are trying to cash in on their IPL association.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento-ipl-edition-auction.jpg
Old 28th April 2012, 07:25   #4320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
I have a question to Vento owners: I just had my car's first service, where the workshop charged Rs 1257/- towards Fuel Filter. El_Lobo was mentioning my in my thread that fuel filter for his car was replaced free of cost under warranty. When I checked with the service guys, they said they cannot do it under warranty for me. Can you guys enlighten me on this?
Even I have changed fuel filter in warranty in Palace Cross, My car manufacturing date is Mar 11 and also it depends on VIN number range.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed