Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2012, 12:27   #4411
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
5. Not really sure on that. Anyway, the extended warranty can be bought anytime during the initial two years, not necessary to get it right at the start. So why the hurry, get it done later.

Edit: Just checked my extended warranty - it nowhere mentions the car registration number, just the VIN & engine details. Anyway, it shouldn't really matter.
Th extended warranty needs to be purchased within one year of the purchase and not after that. I will be purchasing mine next week.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 13:22   #4412
Senior - BHPian

Everyone has answered most of it, let me even put up my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashv View Post
1. MID sometimes shows 85kmpl and 35kmpl during 1500-1800 rpm on highway is it really accurate?
Well what you are seeing is instantaneous FE which is of no use. Toggle down to overall FE which gives total trip mileage figure. I would suggest you to even skip that and keep MiD on displaying outside temp as constantly looking at FE seeing it drop & rise reduces the concentration on road & one seeks to maximize the mileage. Rather use tank to tank method to find the FE.

Quote:
2. What rpm I have to maintain during the initial period? (Right now I am maintaining 1500-2000 rpm)
TDi engine are pre-run and don't require any run-in. I from very first day have been redlining it. It doesn't makes sense to run engine in one constant rpm for longer period, you need to keep varying the rpm.
As of there has been no effect on engine and it delivers me 16+ Kmpl within city easily.

Quote:
3. What is the Full Tank capacity and how much liters equal to one unit on MID is it 5 liters?
Fuel tank capacity is 55 L of which 7 L is reserve. When 1/8th(7L) tank of fuel is left in the tank, fuel light glows on MiD. I would suggest you to refuel tank after every quarter tank of fuel is left. Makes no sense in dragging the car till last bit of fuel. With ongoing fuel crisis, there have been cases of no diesel stock in south side. Better safe than sorry.

Quote:
4. Any alternative for the 100/90 headlamps without voiding the warranty?
I'm having Philips EssentialVision 100/90W H4 white light bulbs with PMP relays, no problems. Fog lamps with Philips BlueVision 55W 9006. Gives a very good look to the car in night with all round white light effect. Even parking light have been replaced with BlueVision 4000K W5W bulbs.

Have a go through this post for some ideas. Link.

Quote:
5. I have done only temp registration and my SA told me the extended warranty will be issued based on permanent registration number. Will they not provide with VIN number?
Extended warranty booklet mentions the vehicle registration number. As your purchase is a new one, you have 1 yr time to get it.

Hope it helps.
Old 27th May 2012, 14:00   #4413
BHPian

Hi need some help here, VW dealer has alloted me a January 2012 Vento - not yet registered in my name - only alloted - should I go ahead or tell him to give fresh stock? Also, will this car be sold at pre-budget price?
Old 27th May 2012, 15:05   #4414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
TDi engine are pre-run and don't require any run-in. I from very first day have been redlining it. It doesn't makes sense to run engine in one constant rpm for longer period, you need to keep varying the rpm.
The engine might be pre-run, but the rest of your car isn't. When one pushes the car, it's not only the engine that feels the strain. The suspension, the breaks, tires, everything feels the strain. Even the basic greasing & lubrication to all the nuts and bolts of the cars is still fresh. I have no proper documentation to back this, but I feel I am not wrong out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Hi need some help here, VW dealer has alloted me a January 2012 Vento - not yet registered in my name - only alloted - should I go ahead or tell him to give fresh stock? Also, will this car be sold at pre-budget price?
Doubt that, unless the dealer pulls some kind of trick. Only possibility is he'll give you an equal discount to offset the additional amount (as it was done with my case). But why exactly are you opting for a 4 month old car? Are you getting some extra discount?
Old 27th May 2012, 16:14   #4415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Doubt that, unless the dealer pulls some kind of trick. Only possibility is he'll give you an equal discount to offset the additional amount (as it was done with my case). But why exactly are you opting for a 4 month old car? Are you getting some extra discount?
I din't opt for it - I wanted Black he had only one in stock which was 5 months old - I insisted on VIN before registeration in my name, after which I found out it's 5 months old - he insists it was billed to him in April, but is not willing to show any proof - hence I switched to a Silver one, the blue one he had was Fenurary manufactured and the blue din't appeal to me as much.

I do kind of feel better, black looks hot - but it's a pain to maintain, silver is more or less maintainance free.

Should I go for bodygear package VW offers? 8,500 for various coatings - especially they talk about Teflon? I'm getting it at 5,000 - it supposedly protects from small scratches!
Old 27th May 2012, 17:14   #4416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I din't opt for it - I wanted Black he had only one in stock which was 5 months old - I insisted on VIN before registeration in my name, after which I found out it's 5 months old - he insists it was billed to him in April, but is not willing to show any proof - hence I switched to a Silver one, the blue one he had was Fenurary manufactured and the blue din't appeal to me as much.
Madnish you can go with a 5 month old car as long as there are no problems with the car itself. Ask the SA to accompany you to the stockyard and inspect both the black, blue & silver and make your decision. I have seen people buying 10 mths old Fiat T-Jet.

Quote:
I do kind of feel better, black looks hot - but it's a pain to maintain, silver is more or less maintainance free.
Yes black looks the best on Vento better than blue but maintaining it is tough. If you have right stuff with you, it is not that difficult. Even I own a black Vento.

Quote:
Should I go for bodygear package VW offers? 8,500 for various coatings - especially they talk about Teflon? I'm getting it at 5,000 - it supposedly protects from small scratches!
I think you are referring to the 3M services that are available at VW dealers. They are absolutely useless. Vento comes with very good paint and under body coating, no need for the useless Teflon coating, which they promise but I doubt it, if there is any reality to it.
Old 27th May 2012, 17:16   #4417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Vento TDi which is unsold for 5 months ?! Sounds fishy , extremely fishy. I don't think there is a case for a Vento TDi remaining unsold for 5 months , impossible ! That too a black or a blue one .. not a chance. I think you should stay away from it .
Old 27th May 2012, 17:30   #4418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Madnish you can go with a 5 month old car as long as there are no problems with the car itself. Ask the SA to accompany you to the stockyard and inspect both the black, blue & silver and make your decision. I have seen people buying 10 mths old Fiat T-Jet.

Yes black looks the best on Vento better than blue but maintaining it is tough. If you have right stuff with you, it is not that difficult. Even I own a black Vento.

I think you are referring to the 3M services that are available at VW dealers. They are absolutely useless. Vento comes with very good paint and under body coating, no need for the useless Teflon coating, which they promise but I doubt it, if there is any reality to it.
Well, TJet is a classic failure because of which people buy 10 month old cars at a hefty discount upto 2.5L. The price I'm paying is no different from a May manufactured car, so why risk a 5 month old vehicle?

I do have a black C class and a black 5 series, indeed very difficult - since those two have dedicated chauffeurs it's okay - the Vento won't which is why silver over black. Of course if black would be there in latest stock I'd pick that - next lot coming in 10 days and prices increasing in June as well as current discounts on Diesel will go thanks to the hike ... So paying 50-70k more for a heavy maintainance color dint make sense to me

Yes, saved 5k dint take the bodycare package after extensive reading here - will get the car waxes every 3 months like I do with my black cars.

Any accessories you recommend from the dealer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Vento TDi which is unsold for 5 months ?! Sounds fishy , extremely fishy. I don't think there is a case for a Vento TDi remaining unsold for 5 months , impossible ! That too a black or a blue one .. not a chance. I think you should stay away from it .
Exactly my thoughts, he claims it reached him in April was in plant before that - but has no proof and can not take me to the stock yard. Also claimed he arranged it from a co-dealer for me... I see a tax scam where they bought from VW at pre budget prices and selling at post budget prices pocketing the difference of 40k or so.

I did not risk and chose a silver April manufactured one as I and family dint like February manufactured blue one - a bit too rich for our taste.

Any accessories you recommend from the dealer, sourav?
Old 27th May 2012, 17:54   #4419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any accessories you recommend from the dealer, sourav?
1. The VW original mud flaps are pretty good ( give yourself a few weeks to adjust to the screech they emit when they brush against any hump but they are good and last )
2. Personally I hate the door protectors / bumper protectors given that those stuff are glued to the body and leaves ugly marks should they come off - yet if you are planning to install one get that from the dealer to avoid any mismatch in colour which spoils the look of the car.

That's about it . Rest of it you should get outside which include :-
1. Inner plastic carpet set which includes a boot carpet saves the beige carpet from mud during the monsoons. Goes below the mats
2. Mats - I bought real heavy ones which do not move around
3. Seat Cover - You can get better fits (leather or leatherette) from non dealer outlets and at a better price
4. Upgrade the stock bulbs to 100/90, most of us found the stock inadequate - VW dealer would refuse to do it so don't even mention it . Use proper cutouts and ensure no wires are cut, its no big deal really
5. In your Merc post i saw that you referred to your Vento as the other german beast Given the intent if you are going to change the shoes for improving the handling work out a deal before hand with a tyre dealer to get the best price for the discards.

Let me know if you need any help . BTW, good that you stayed away from the old VIN car .
Old 27th May 2012, 18:04   #4420
BHPian

Quote:
1. The VW original mud flaps are pretty good ( give yourself a few weeks to adjust to the screech they emit when they brush against any hump but they are good and last )
2. Personally I hate the door protectors / bumper protectors given that those stuff are glued to the body and leaves ugly marks should they come off - yet if you are planning to install one get that from the dealer to avoid any mismatch in colour which spoils the look of the car.

That's about it . Rest of it you should get outside which include :-
1. Inner plastic carpet set which includes a boot carpet saves the beige carpet from mud during the monsoons. Goes below the mats
2. Mats - I bought real heavy ones which do not move around
3. Seat Cover - You can get better fits (leather or leatherette) from non dealer outlets and at a better price
4. Upgrade the stock bulbs to 100/90, most of us found the stock inadequate - VW dealer would refuse to do it so don't even mention it . Use proper cutouts and ensure no wires are cut, its no big deal really
5. In your Merc post i saw that you referred to your Vento as the other german beast Given the intent if you are going to change the shoes for improving the handling work out a deal before hand with a tyre dealer to get the best price for the discards.

Let me know if you need any help . BTW, good that you stayed away from the old VIN car .
As part of the goodwill "discounts" from the dealer he has promised the following:
  • Mud flaps
  • Floor mats (don't know which ones - but I guess he will put the cheapest ones!)
  • Car perfume
  • "Divinity" - what's this?
  • Door sill plates
I'm planning not planning on bumper guards or door guards unless they are available in body color (painted?) - are they?

Do they really help prevent scratches? Cuz they do look quite ugly!

I do plan to get 90/100 bulbs immediately - and also better fogs - something similar to what was done here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2703540

Can someone please explain what is relay and cutouts - what all will I need besides the 90/100 bulbs for the same? And in layman terms what changes are made to the system! I did post this in the auto lighting thread but din't get an answer - and not many Ventoers have posted details of increasing headlight power.

As for the tyres - I wouldn't consider changing them before they actually wear themselves!

On the other hand I was thinking of a spoiler - it's decently priced at 6,000 and does differentiate the car from the others! (too many similar Ventos on the road! )!

Thanks Saurav for all the help!

EDIT:

Also you mentioned you have plastic carpet set and mats both - i'm confused ! You have two layers of protection for the beige carpet? First the plastic and then the mats?

Last edited by madnish30 : 27th May 2012 at 18:05.
Old 27th May 2012, 18:13   #4421
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If it's january 2012 you should be able to push for pre budget price. By rule, the cars that left the plant after budget announcement only apply for increased price. If the car left before the budget then the car should be pre-budget. Audi still has cars made in feb-jan that they are selling today at pre budget prices so should be similar to VW as well.

Also please ensure if you are getting diesel highline that the new additions like parking sensors and steering mounted controls are present.
Old 27th May 2012, 18:34   #4422
Senior - BHPian

Comments alongside

Quote:
As part of the goodwill "discounts" from the dealer he has promised the following:
  • Mud flaps - - Good ones, take it
  • Floor mats (don't know which ones - but I guess he will put the cheapest ones!) Take it for now
  • Car perfume - Beware if its the Ambipur variety
  • "Divinity" - what's this? - No Idea on this one !
  • Door sill plates
I'm planning not planning on bumper guards or door guards unless they are available in body color (painted?) - are they?

Do they really help prevent scratches? Cuz they do look quite ugly!
- Statistically the chances are fairly limited that they will Just look at the area they cover. The most ugly ones are the ones with a spot of chrome finish in the mid portion

Can someone please explain what is relay and cutouts - what all will I need besides the 90/100 bulbs for the same?
- Just to keep it simple, please go to a proper workshop and ask them to install the bulbs with cutouts. Relays and cutouts help to protect the existing circuit from getting impacted in anyway due to the higher loads being applied as result of the more powerful lamps. It establishes a detour through which the current can flow and this detour is through proper rated wires. Through this process one avoids cutting wires too

Also you mentioned you have plastic carpet set and mats both - i'm confused ! You have two layers of protection for the beige carpet? First the plastic and then the mats?
The plastic carpet is attached to the original beige coloured carpet through Velcros and completely covers the same, including the humps in the back ( additionally there is one for the boot as well which is extremely useful to prevent damage caused by dragging of heavy suitcases, etc) . This plastic carpet can be cleaned once in 6 months or so . The rubber mats are the areas where the feet rest and can be cleaned as often as one wishes

Last edited by souravc : 27th May 2012 at 18:41.
Old 27th May 2012, 18:41   #4423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If it's january 2012 you should be able to push for pre budget price. By rule, the cars that left the plant after budget announcement only apply for increased price. If the car left before the budget then the car should be pre-budget. Audi still has cars made in feb-jan that they are selling today at pre budget prices so should be similar to VW as well.

Also please ensure if you are getting diesel highline that the new additions like parking sensors and steering mounted controls are present.
There was something fishy - din't take it - as discussed in comments above, hard to believe a black TDI sitting in the lot for that long! It's a popular car and a in-demand color! Besides, they were not willing to give pre-budget price as it was supposedly billed to them in April and neither did they allow a visit to the stockyard. Silver it is!

Quote:
Comments alongside in bold
Thanks, a lot! Won't be getting the protections on bumper and doors - they look ugly and chances of them saving the car from scratches are minimal - driving carefully is a better option!

Could you please list the parts I need for the bulb set up - I'm more or less going to go for the ones el lobo got - besides that what all will I need?

Anyone knows a place in Delhi to get this done?

Also, any warranty hassles faced by anyone? Technically wires are not being cut - but the electric system is being modified - right? Don't want to get extended warranty only to see it get void?

Just for the sake of convenience will better 50/60 bulbs (better brand/better color temperature) be a good choice - along with better fogs?

Last edited by madnish30 : 27th May 2012 at 18:42.
Old 27th May 2012, 20:01   #4424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jan 2012 piece means, this is the pre-update version? I mean, the leatherette seats and a few add-ons came in Feb 2012 right?
That could be the reason for the car to sit there for so long.

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th May 2012 at 20:03.
Old 27th May 2012, 21:18   #4425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Jan 2012 piece means, this is the pre-update version? I mean, the leatherette seats and a few add-ons came in Feb 2012 right?
That could be the reason for the car to sit there for so long.
Yes, vb-san that could be another possibility that it was a unsold pre-refreshed model which he wanted to dispose to me. These dealers one has to be so careful, otherwise they can trick you anyday! Anyways, glad I did not chose it!

On the otherhand the experience was the dealer was great the SA and the Sales Manager both were very patient and courteous - even when I cought them on the wrong foot - they agreed to the date as well as the unclear information of the particular car - they did not get nervous or angry and gave me all possible remedies! So kudos to VW who I think is actually spending a lot of money on training etc.

I even visited the service station floor (wanted to see a Blue vento in flesh) and it was an impressive station - with work going on smoothly - all bays full and could not spot any unhappy customers - did spot some pretty badly damaged VW cars though, including a Beatle !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks