Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2012, 19:26   #4471
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

A small trailer on pressure washing my Vento. Link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
A look at what I would be bringing home next week :-)
Congrats Joslicx. Looking forward to your ownership thread. As most Vento owners have some or the other mods planned, do you have any in mind?
Old 2nd June 2012, 20:37   #4472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
<OT Point Start>

I know this is quite lame, but had to post this.

It's very rare that you get to see such a scenario.

Attachment 933708

And that makes the second Rapid in my office campus, the other one being a Black Rapid.

</OT Point End>

Ok, I'm done. Now please continue with your discussions
Vento is more elegant any day. *hopes no Rapid owners are subscribed to this thread*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Okay, so finally took the delivery of my MT Silver Vento Diesel HL - loving it so far. Please keep in mind this is my first MT car - I did know how to drive MT (friends' cars and generally learnt it!) so have a questions...

Is it only me or is it a problem/fact for all - the pedals are placed too close to each other? I have big feet (size 11) and wear wide shoes (can not drive in anything but shoes!) - and often the left foot on the clutch is hitting the right foot on the brake - I think the pedals could have been a little further apart - I also feel the clutch is a little high out (protruding) and a little hard - will it get better with more miles? It's an April 2012 manufactured car so don't thin kit needs clutch hose pipe replacement like many other Ventos on TBHP needed (most were 2011 models!)... do advice!
BUMP TO THIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
One lights up to show the fog lights are ON.
For the other one, they put the indication in the instrument panel Inconsistent design :(
Thanks, that explains it - Yeah, quite a stupid thing by VW - one can expect that from Maruti, not VW.

So clocked 350kms in 4 days - still getting used to MT - will start a thread very soon, any suggestions to avoid bouncy shifts (especially 1st and 2nd gear).
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:08   #4473
BHPian

I have upgraded HU in my Vento, also I have posted the details in my thread. Here is the link

Quote:
Congrats on your buy.
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:23   #4474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock22 View Post
I finally had to cancel my booking of the Vento Petrol HL MT (2012)... had been waiting for it since September 2011. Ever since I had driven a friend's vento, was in love with it, but wanted to buy only the refreshed version - really feel sad about it :( And then instead of going for any other car of the segment which I would have earlier rejected, I decided to switch segment and buy a car which would make me feel happy.
Sad to know about the delay! Did you think about getting the AT? Would that have been faster?

Quote:
PDI done today. Satisfactory experience. Car looked ok as far as the novice in me could look. Forgot to look at the Odo though. Car was washed already when I reached their yard.

Yay! Congratulations! What, after 3 months? Looking forward to your ownership review.
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:14   #4475
BHPian

Minor chrome-ification for my Blue wind! I am looking for chromes for my window like in Linea. will the chrome strips be available over the counter at linea spares?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-chrome1.jpg

any one knows where i can source the number plate frames? (the one on honda's and chevy cruze front?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
O.T. : Yes, air valve caps are off the listing. I was contemplating to purchase one set of it but left the idea thinking prying eyes may steal them. Even if one goes off, the whole look is spoilt.
UC now offers VW tyre valves which are theft proof. (has a small torix nut on each one of them) I got them on my blue.

Quote:
PDI done today. Satisfactory experience. Car looked ok as far as the novice in me could look. Forgot to look at the Odo though. Car was washed already when I reached their yard.

Attachment 935497

Ah, congrats, join the gang. check out my chromification in the previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Most of the Vento/Polo owners may be aware of how long VW Radio antenna is and those who all cover their cars with DuPont Tyvek cover, find it quite hard since it is too long.

Just placed an order for "VW Polo Vento Short stubby Antenna Original VW product" for Rs. 625 at eBay. Any of you interested can get it here. The listing for it came after very long time & have been waiting to purchase since bhpian & friend nileshch got one for his car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Why not just un-screw it? I find it a lot easier than anything else, even if it has to be done on a daily basis

Btw do give feedback on the "reception" with the new antenna.

I have the stubby too. The reception is as good as stock. This is a genuine VW china accessory so should be fine. Here is my pic (the same one United customs uses for the site )

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-577349_316115915129732_1945471499_n.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th June 2012 at 11:24. Reason: Please read rule 5b
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:46   #4476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
I am looking for chromes for my window like in Linea. will the chrome strips be available over the counter at linea spares?
I would advise not to put those chrome strips around the window sill. Reason, they come off easily. Recently one of my friend on his Fluiddic Verna, put those chrome strip around window sill. Week later RHS driver chrome goes missing, which has resulted in spoiling the whole look of the car. Getting car washed from bldg car cleaner also result into chrome strip coming, since they don't pay attention how much pressure to apply where.

Quote:
any one knows where i can source the number plate frames? (the one on honda's and chevy cruze front?)
You could easily get it from any car shop who makes number plates. Ask the shopkeeper that you want IND number plate with frame, that should ring bell for him. It cost roughly Rs. 1400 for IND number plate with frame, front & rear in Mumbai.

Quote:
UC now offers VW tyre valves which are theft proof. (has a small torix nut on each one of them) I got them on my blue.
Can you give the link as it is not showing on their eBay shop.

Quote:
I have the stubby too. The reception is as good as stock. This is a genuine VW china accessory so should be fine. Here is my pic (the same one United customs uses for the site
Today I too installed short stubby and the reception is good as stock, no difference. Copyright infrigment by United Customz.
Old 3rd June 2012, 14:52   #4477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
I would advise not to put those chrome strips around the window sill. Reason, they come off easily. Recently one of my friend on his Fluiddic Verna, put those chrome strip around window sill. Week later RHS driver chrome goes missing, which has resulted in spoiling the whole look of the car. Getting car washed from bldg car cleaner also result into chrome strip coming, since they don't pay attention how much pressure to apply where.

You could easily get it from any car shop who makes number plates. Ask the shopkeeper that you want IND number plate with frame, that should ring bell for him. It cost roughly Rs. 1400 for IND number plate with frame, front & rear in Mumbai.

Can you give the link as it is not showing on their eBay shop.

Today I too installed short stubby and the reception is good as stock, no difference. Copyright infrigment by United Customz.
You can mail UC Guy directly here ucustomz@gmail.com

give him my reference (shardeep@gmail.com)
Old 3rd June 2012, 22:31   #4478
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. Yes it was a bit of long wait as I was traveling till May end although car was already with the dealer around beginning of May. Now I cant wait to lay my hands on her. I checked with him and they got 3 ATs this time, one white, one silver and one blue. I think the silver one is still available.

No mods planned immediately Rohan. I want to enjoy her lock, stock and barrel for a few days at least. Though I have read a lot about the weak headlamps and am thinking of going for NBPs in same wattage. Lets see.

Among the accessories, taking the dealer provided mats and mud flaps for now. Will go for Kagu 3D mats soon. Also getting door sills. Need some advice on them. There are two types of sills available as OEM - one costing 950 and another (with premium in the name) for 1150. My SA is pushing me to go for 950 ones! Maybe they don't have the premium ones. Am a bit confused here. I saw the sills and it was steel ones on black rubber. can any people who bought the premium ones guide me here please (how do they look etc.)

Also thinking of going for leather seats (since petrol highline still comes in cloth fabric! Only highline Diesel comes in leatherette seats.) Will be talking to Karlsson and Stanley. Any other suggestions? I want to go for genuine leather this time.

I might also go for 3M paint protection. I have already bought few things - one Jopasu duster and a microfiber cloth, a VW keyring from UC and a car mobile charger (Motorola Ferrari ed micro-USB charger). Need to buy a cradle for the mobile as well. Will be buying Turtle Wax as well for waxing once a month. Depending on scratches will buy ScratchX or similar later.

Thats all that is planned for now. Need budget for these accessories sanctioned from the higher authority at home first. Its going to be tough

Last edited by joslicx : 3rd June 2012 at 22:34.
Old 4th June 2012, 10:07   #4479
BHPian

Hi all,

I have a funny problem with my TDI HL (post refresh 2011 model). I somehow feel that the turbo acceleration isnt as much as it was earlier. I am not feeling the 'kick' as much as before. All of this started 2 weeks ago. The changes that happened - I did wheel balancing, alignment and rotation and filled the fuel tank with diesel (from my regular fuel depot).

What I am feeling are the following:
1. The turbo kicks in only by 1800 or 1900 rpm whereas earlier I used to feel it by 1500 rpm itself
2. The turbo kick is less pronounced than earlier
3. When the turbo does kick in, the sound is very ragged almost with vibrations. I can very definitely hear a funny hissing noise when the turbo does kick in, and this goes away after the rpm reaches around 2200 to 2300. This almost sounds like air is leaking somewhere.
4. I feel the mileage has dropped. I used to get around 16 kmpl during my daily commute, its now around 14.5 kmpl (as per the mid). Of course, this could be because I reduced the tyre pressure from 35 all round to around 34 psi.
5. No warning lights whatsoever on the dashboard.

I do know that some members had issues with the air hoses either being punctured or loose. How can I check whether this is the issue? Also, can I just drive the car to the service station and ask them to check this up? It isn't really due for its service (around 9300 kms only) and even if I do take it for a service appointment, they are giving me a slot almost two weeks away. Is there a facility like say the 'emergency department' in the hospital, where I can drive the car in and state the problem?
Old 4th June 2012, 10:40   #4480
BHPian

Hi Guys, i think the beading problem has finally bit me too. :( Just to be sure, is it a strange plastic-cracking sound which is now coming from all 4 doors when i take my car over undulated roads? if it is, what is the solution? I saw somewhere in Rachit's post that a wet cloth wipe on all door beadings will help?
Old 4th June 2012, 14:17   #4481
BHPian

Either the fuel pump owner tweaked his system or my Vento TDI MID was showing wrong data.

This happened yesterday at a highway HP petrol pump (Pooja Petroleum- As per the name appearing in the sms I received after the card swipe) near Satara while I was returning from Kolhapur. The pump had 4 rows with about 8 filling stations and looked well maintained. That is why I filled from there, else I generally fill diesel from a city pump and never on highways.

MID shows 183 Kms to empty. Average fuel consumption on the MID - 17.1. Even if I assume, 15 kmpl, there should be atleast 10-12 ltrs of diesel in the tank. So a full tank must come in about 45 ltrs assuming 55 ltrs is the capacity.

Asked him to do a full tank. Sensor stopped at about 45 ltrs. I asked him to fill more. (I do this everytime I fill diesel). The petrol pump meter reached 51 ltrs and still there was space for more. I stopped him there.

How is this possible when Vento's tank is 55 ltrs and there is about 100% possibility that the tank already had about 10-12 ltrs? Also, I generally fill diesel after running 740+ kms with MID showing about 50-70kms as available range and in about 47-48ltrs the tank gets full. This time, I had done only 690 kms and it guzzled 51ltrs, that too, this 690 includes about 350kms of highway driving.

Since, I was with my family did not argue with him and left.

What is the probability that the Vento's MID malfunctioned, though it showed correct data for other parameters like engine running time, distance covered etc.? So, I dont think there is any issue with the MID (it is just 2.5months old car with only ~6700kms on the odo). It is the petrol pump who had possibly tampered with his meter. I generally fill diesel in the city, yesterday, god know what happened, I just steered to this pump as if I was destined to be cheated

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari

PS : I did not know my 100th post would be sad one :(

Last edited by aniket.tiwari27 : 4th June 2012 at 14:31. Reason: Added petrol pump name.
Old 4th June 2012, 14:56   #4482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Either the fuel pump owner tweaked his system or my Vento TDI MID was showing wrong data.

From what I can infer, there is nothing wrong with your car tank or the MID. Basically the MID figures (distance to empty/FE values) should be taken with a pinch of salt. The only figure I completely rely upon is the Fuel Reqd indicator which I feel is based on a mechanical check than a software based calculation. The average value (as per manual & what I have experienced) for remaining fuel is 65-75 kms/5-6 litres.

If you still have doubts, use up the fuel and wait till the indicator lights up. Then fill it up. On an average I am always able to fill close to 52-56 litres at this point.

Of course, there is no guarantee that the petrol pump was not cheating you. That you can assume either way!

Edit: The manual says the tank capacity is 55 litres. Here on the forum it has been validated several times that the tank can take in close to 60 litres.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th June 2012 at 15:00.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 15:28   #4483
Distinguished - BHPian

Member subodh had a similar problem with his Vento petrol AT almost at empty. 58 litres went in before the auto-stop tripped. He was furious and threatened to call the cops, but later on got busy, lost interest and it fizzled out. This was at a pump in Koregaon Park, Pune.

It leads me to be believe the capacity of the Vento tank may be higher, probably in the range of 60 litres. But this isn't to say that I am giving the pump guys a clean chit. Given the shenanigans they are wont to indulge in, it is highly likely that both your cases are a combination of both. I once had 53 litres go in (tank to tank method: 9 kmpl while MID showed 11+). This was at the BP outlet on SB Road. Obviously a case of cheating but there was little I could do. MID data is indicative at best. The DTE is the least reliable of the lot. I have driven 25-30 km with the DTE showing 0. In fact on a highway stretch the display suddenly jumped from DTE zero to 10! So take it with a big pinch of salt!

Tank up at pumps you trust and allow for a few litres over the designated capacity of the tank, is my advice!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 15:37   #4484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
Hi all,

I have a funny problem with my TDI HL (post refresh 2011 model). I somehow feel that the turbo acceleration isnt as much as it was earlier. I am not feeling the 'kick' as much as before. All of this started 2 weeks ago. The changes that happened - I did wheel balancing, alignment and rotation and filled the fuel tank with diesel (from my regular fuel depot).

?
Hi Merril, Please get tis checked immediately. I had encountered the same temporary hissing type sound . but i ignored it. Later when i went for a long drive from Mumbai to Thane and post clocking speeds in the range of 140-150 kmph on the Pune exp way the the reinforced rubber pipe supplying AIR from the Turbo gave way. Did not realize what was the issue. Felt loss of power and Tourbo would just not kick in.The Glow bulb - coil shape symbol had come on on the dashboard display. Drove like that to Goa and handed over the car at VW Service station at Panaji. The part was not avb . Through some intervention was able to get the part in time. The replacement was free of cost as car was under warranty.

Note - Prior to to the Mumbai - Goa Drive i had noticed lot of condensation on and around the Turbo pipe. The service rep at Thane center told me its normal. I dont trust him now. But they say condenstaion does happen.
Swift Express is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 16:15   #4485
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, i think the beading problem has finally bit me too. :( Just to be sure, is it a strange plastic-cracking sound which is now coming from all 4 doors when i take my car over undulated roads? if it is, what is the solution? I saw somewhere in Rachit's post that a wet cloth wipe on all door beadings will help?
Hi, Yup!! What the service center guy told me was to clean the rubber beading with wet cloth first and them immediately with a dry cloth. Thats reduces this squeaking noise. I dont generally do this now. As the noise is very inconsistent. Sometimes it is there sometimes it is not. But whenever I get a chance to clean the car I do clean these door edges. This seems to work sometimes.

All the noises in my car are inconsistent. Sometimes they are there and sometimes the car is so squeak free. I have no idea why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post

This happened yesterday at a highway HP petrol pump (Pooja Petroleum- As per the name appearing in the sms I received after the card swipe) near Satara while I was returning from Kolhapur. The pump had 4 rows with about 8 filling stations and looked well maintained. That is why I filled from there, else I generally fill diesel from a city pump and never on highways.

MID shows 183 Kms to empty. Average fuel consumption on the MID - 17.1. Even if I assume, 15 kmpl, there should be atleast 10-12 ltrs of diesel in the tank. So a full tank must come in about 45 ltrs assuming 55 ltrs is the capacity.

Asked him to do a full tank. Sensor stopped at about 45 ltrs. I asked him to fill more. (I do this everytime I fill diesel). The petrol pump meter reached 51 ltrs and still there was space for more. I stopped him there.

How is this possible when Vento's tank is 55 ltrs and there is about 100% possibility that the tank already had about 10-12 ltrs? Also, I generally fill diesel after running 740+ kms with MID showing about 50-70kms as available range and in about 47-48ltrs the tank gets full. This time, I had done only 690 kms and it guzzled 51ltrs, that too, this 690 includes about 350kms of highway driving.

Since, I was with my family did not argue with him and left.

What is the probability that the Vento's MID malfunctioned, though it showed correct data for other parameters like engine running time, distance covered etc.? So, I dont think there is any issue with the MID (it is just 2.5months old car with only ~6700kms on the odo). It is the petrol pump who had possibly tampered with his meter. I generally fill diesel in the city, yesterday, god know what happened, I just steered to this pump as if I was destined to be cheated

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari

I myself have filled exactly 60 litres in my car that too when I took the delivery of the car. I am assuming it must have had atleast a litre of fuel. But 60 litres is like filling to the brim. The Auto Cutoff generally cuts at around 45 - 50 litres for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Member subodh had a similar problem with his Vento petrol AT almost at empty. 58 litres went in before the auto-stop tripped. He was furious and threatened to call the cops, but later on got busy, lost interest and it fizzled out. This was at a pump in Koregaon Park, Pune.

It leads me to be believe the capacity of the Vento tank may be higher, probably in the range of 60 litres. But this isn't to say that I am giving the pump guys a clean chit. Given the shenanigans they are wont to indulge in, it is highly likely that both your cases are a combination of both. I once had 53 litres go in (tank to tank method: 9 kmpl while MID showed 11+). This was at the BP outlet on SB Road. Obviously a case of cheating but there was little I could do. MID data is indicative at best. The DTE is the least reliable of the lot. I have driven 25-30 km with the DTE showing 0. In fact on a highway stretch the display suddenly jumped from DTE zero to 10! So take it with a big pinch of salt!

Tank up at pumps you trust and allow for a few litres over the designated capacity of the tank, is my advice!

I am assuming that the actual capacity of the Tank is somewhere around 60-62 litres. I have a habit of getting the car filled till brim. The cutoff generally cuts when the car has around 50 litres of fuel. On an average I have observed that around 8 litres fuel goes inside after that. Assuming that there must be some fuel in the tank when I went to get it filled it is safe to assume 60 Litre capacity..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks