Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2012, 23:58   #4546
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Okay guys - been 15 days since I got my TDi - a little doubt/fear - I'm new to MT (driven AT since forever) but, I do know how to drive it without any stalls or hiccups - cuz I used to practice MT once a month or so. Since I'm not used to it - my transmissions read upshifts and downshifts are probably not as smooth as yours (regulars on MT) I mostly rely on MDI or the RPM meter - shifting around 2000, sometimes especially gear 1 and 2 it does go upto 2600 cuz of a turn or traffic or attention is on a stupid biker rather than upshifting.
The TDi has clocked 800 kms 95% in city and out of that 95% 75% in traffic (not jammed but not free flowing) average speed on MDI is 30km/h.

Now the concern - THE FUEL CONSUMPTION - on all other ownership threads (I have gone though all on TBHP!!! ) I have read magical numbers like 15-17-even 21+ and the minimums I read in city traffic was 14-15 km/l

Now my TDi averages around 10.5 in traffic (say 25-35kmph morning traffic for a 15km run) and 11.5 in moderate traffic and it has topped at 13km/l on Delhi-Gurgaon run with average speed 50kmph for a 30km each way run with only traffic enough to call for lane changing and overtaking - was in 4th and 5th gear for 70% of the route.

Should I be worried that I'm not seeing those magical numbers?

Earlier I was facing a hard clutch, but that has softened, and I have also learnt to rest my foot on the floor... resting it in the air over the clutch was a real pain!

Please help!!!!

BTW ownership review coming soon
Old 18th June 2012, 00:11   #4547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu

Don't use super diesel on German cars!!! A strict no. Only normal diesel. Stick to your favorite petrol pump, I always fill it from the pump where I feel the measuring is honest and the guts courteous. But only normal diesel.
Just a query, why super diesel is not recommended for german cars? Xtrapremium shell etc?
Old 18th June 2012, 01:06   #4548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F458 View Post
Hey ventopian

I have a very peculiar situation with my vento, since the time I have bought it in oct 2010. After driving the car for about an hour my hip starts aching. If I am on the passenger side I don't face the same problem. I asked the service advisor and he didnt have any answer. I have Stanley seats on my car.
Any advice on what to do as long drives are a problem. I don't face the same problems in my accord or my old Honda city.
Left hip or the right hip ? I am 6'1 and my left hip did ache after a 20 minutes test drive of Vento. I will put it down to seating position and clutch usage if it is left hip. I don't think it has anything to do with seat covers. As a thumb rule,
  1. there should be one fist height between your head and the car roof in most sedans. (Height Adjustment)
  2. when you sit with your back/shoulders rested firmly against the seat and if you gently put both your arms forward, the wrists should be on the top of the steering. Make sure your shoulders are still supported by the seat when you reach for the steering. (Distance from Steering)
  3. the seat recline should be comfortable. If it is too upright you will have lower back pain. Try increasing the recline but keep the first two points in mind otherwise you may start developing neck or shoulder pain.

I think driving position is a compromise for tall people in many sedans. When you are on the passenger side there is no work for the left or right foot and your hips are not stressed, so all is fine there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashv View Post
Hi Everyone,
Also eager to know what Mileage other Vento Owners are getting.
There are plenty of examples in the forum. Search for fuel efficiency and mileage in Vento ownership threads. My friends get about 15.5 in Bangalore with sane driving and 17.5 with high revving in highways. A lot depends on your road and traffic conditions at the time of your travel. All city drives are not equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
I thought vento TDI had a waiting period and this surprised me.
Vento TDI is available off the shelf in Bangalore. All the dealers I called could give me a vehicle straight away. If it is white or silver there is absolutely no wait at all.
idofsuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 07:47   #4549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
Left hip or the right hip ? I am 6'1 and my left hip did ache after a 20 minutes test drive of Vento. I will put it down to seating position and clutch usage if it is left hip. I don't think it has anything to do with seat covers. As a thumb rule,

Yes I am also the same height and as far as the driving positioning goes I do follow the thumb rules. The fact remains that I have an issue with only my vento. I have not driven any other vento to compare, but with th rest of my garage, which includes the accord,city, wagon r and a fabia I have not faced any problem. I drove a Malibu monte Carlo continuous for 700 miles with no problem in oct last year

Last edited by noopster : 18th June 2012 at 08:20. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 18th June 2012, 08:22   #4550
Distinguished - BHPian

@madnish- That does appear a little low for a TDI. You may get better mileage after the engine opens up. if it persists, report it to the service station.

@F458- Please take enough time to set your seating position correctly. The seat hiegt adjust must be off. Vento is a most comfortable car to drive in, and I have done really long drives without any discomfort.
Old 18th June 2012, 13:24   #4551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

@F458- Please take enough time to set your seating position correctly. The seat hiegt adjust must be off. Vento is a most comfortable car to drive in, and I have done really long drives without any discomfort.
I have tried every conceivable position but to no avail. I also believe the initial lot of seats had some problem, the Stanley guys had mentioned the same cut seat covers had fitting issues.

Last edited by noopster : 18th June 2012 at 14:55. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 18th June 2012, 15:20   #4552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F458 View Post
Hey ventopian

I have a very peculiar situation with my vento, since the time I have bought it in oct 2010. After driving the car for about an hour my hip starts aching. If I am on the passenger side I don't face the same problem. I asked the service advisor and he didnt have any answer. I have Stanley seats on my car.
Any advice on what to do as long drives are a problem. I don't face the same problems in my accord or my old Honda city.
Its got to do with your driving position . Please adjust your seat height so that your legs are no less than 50-60 degrees with the floor , adjust the steering ( tilt and telescope) so that when you straighten your arms your wrist touches the farthest portion of the steering wheel rim , seating position should be such that the back rest makes an angle no less than 70-75 degrees with the seat . I have driven 8 hours non stop quite a few times , 2-3 hours non stop innumerable times - didn't find any issue with the seat .
take good care of yourself !
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 15:54   #4553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post

why super diesel is not recommended for german cars? Xtrapremium shell etc?
The additives in them are not good for the engines (according to the manufacturers)

Last edited by noopster : 18th June 2012 at 16:59. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 18th June 2012, 17:05   #4554
Distinguished - BHPian

We had a discussion on this at the recent Mumbai-Pune mega meet. One of the members claimed he was getting excellent mileage on his Pete'd Octy using premium diesel. EVERYONE else told him not to do it. First of all the premium (4 Rs/ litre) is not worth it. Secondly and more importantly, the additives in the diesel are alleged to be bad for the engine. Even auto manufacturers recommend pure ordinary diesel as the best choice. Fill up at a COCO outlet or one you trust. That is good enough.

Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any such school of thought with regard to petrol. A lot of high-end petrol car owners prefer premium fuels like Speed or Shell Super. My Vento AT manual actually says that VW recommends petrol with certain additives that keep teh engine clean etc. However last time I tanked up with Shell Super at 80/- a litre, I noticed an immediate decrease in refinement and an overall sluggishness that I didn't like. So back I am to regular pure COCO petrol.

This topic has been discussed on the various fuel threads, so sorry to drag it off-topic but since the questions were raised specifically for the Vento, thought I'd post this here.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 18:22   #4555
BHPian

Quote:
Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any such school of thought with regard to petrol.
Could the issue with Diesel engines be the risk that the additives cause damage to the complex injection systems instead of helping them?
Old 19th June 2012, 07:08   #4556
Senior - BHPian

Because the diesels are turbo charged where as most of the petrol's aren't.

You'd see this recommendation on most of the turbo charged diesel cars on sale today, vento or not.

Quote:

Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any such school of thought with regard to petrol. A lot of high-end petrol car owners prefer premium fuels like Speed or Shell Super.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Could the issue with Diesel engines be the risk that the additives cause damage to the complex injection systems instead of helping them?
Old 19th June 2012, 07:26   #4557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80
Because the diesels are turbo charged where as most of the petrol's aren't.

You'd see this recommendation on most of the turbo charged diesel cars on sale today, vento or not.
I remember seeing on the dash of Chevy optra magnum tcdi- " use premium fuel"
What does this indicate?
Old 19th June 2012, 08:44   #4558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any such school of thought with regard to petrol. A lot of high-end petrol car owners prefer premium fuels like Speed or Shell Super. My Vento AT manual actually says that VW recommends petrol with certain additives that keep teh engine clean etc. However last time I tanked up with Shell Super at 80/- a litre, I noticed an immediate decrease in refinement and an overall sluggishness that I didn't like. So back I am to regular pure COCO petrol.
Most of the high end petrol cars have high compression engines, and these benefit with higher octane petrol. In fact many performance oriented cars will start giving a lot of problems if 97 octane petrol is not used. You can use lower rating, but in emergencies and for a short time only.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 13:04   #4559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most of the high end petrol cars have high compression engines, and these benefit with higher octane petrol. In fact many performance oriented cars will start giving a lot of problems if 97 octane petrol is not used. You can use lower rating, but in emergencies and for a short time only.
Agree . Some of the problems are knocking , low acceleration , etc . By high end , we are referring to high rev sports cars and just not limited to the price . High octane petrol would give any additional benefit for cars like Vento ( or even Superb , Passat for that matter )

I do not use any special fuel for my petrol / diesel cars for the fear of additives leaving unwanted deposits
Old 19th June 2012, 16:45   #4560
Senior - BHPian

Previously, I had done exterior detailing on my Vento. Recently did the interior cleaning/detailing, to keep the interiors cleaned & polished. I have written about in on my Vento ownership thread. Link.

Do have a go through and let me know your thoughts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks