Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 06:40   #4606
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

It certainly has a lot to do with our stupid short sighted governmental policy on foreign technology especially cars. We havent outgrown the Quasi communistic views of the Nehruvian Junta- scratch the surface and it is still there!

Our government should positively encourage the manufacturers to give safety kit etc as standard. They can do this by shaving percentages off the taxes depending on what safety kit is there in the cars. This will also send out a long overdue signal that they genuinely care about life and limb of the common man!

But will this happen?
Perhaps yes, but over the next generation or so, once all these ancient mariner politicos, policy makers and bureaucrats have all shuffled off their mortal coils. Contrary to popular belief, here in Indian politics, age is not synonymous with wisdom. Age seems synonymous more with greed and self aggrandizement!
Old 25th June 2012, 10:05   #4607
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by F458 View Post
Hey top speeder

So they have given you an extended warranty after one year of sale of your car? Please reply urgently as this would make my case stronger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
That's good to hear. When did you buy your Vento? I'm still awaiting a response from volkswagen palace cross for my Oct 2010 Vento.
Yes, My car completed 1 Year and 3 months. Mine went easy buy, It may be something to do with Elite, Blr

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 25th June 2012 at 10:12.
Old 25th June 2012, 10:36   #4608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys heard a rumor that the vento diesel automatic is going to be launched soon apparently a friend of mine spoke to a dealership owner and they have been given a brief about it
Can we have more details? It seems to defy all logic that VW would not mate that sweet TDI engine to the 6-speed torque convertor box that does duty in the petrol AT. Not sure if there is any technical difficulty doing this (torque handling capacity for instance since there is nearly a 100 Nm difference between petrol and diesel).

However I seriously doubt this will come anytime soon. The same rumours reared their head around the time of the Rapid launch as well.
Old 25th June 2012, 11:03   #4609
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys heard a rumor that the vento diesel automatic is going to be launched soon apparently a friend of mine spoke to a dealership owner and they have been given a brief about it
Doesn't seem to be happening, but would be wise to discontinue all petrol variants but HL MT and offer a Diesel AT. Would avoid an unsold inventory for petrol like happened with 2011 cars.
Old 25th June 2012, 11:56   #4610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Can we have more details? It seems to defy all logic that VW would not mate that sweet TDI engine to the 6-speed torque convertor box that does duty in the petrol AT. Not sure if there is any technical difficulty doing this (torque handling capacity for instance since there is nearly a 100 Nm difference between petrol and diesel).

However I seriously doubt this will come anytime soon. The same rumours reared their head around the time of the Rapid launch as well.
I agree, this seems to be a rumour.
Asked my little birdie in the VW R&D India, and he is not aware of any such launch.

Been a long time I did photo session with the Shadowfax. So took the stud for a nice stroll to Nandi Hills, here are the photographs, feast your eyes!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_3658.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_3704.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_3705.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_3714.jpg  

evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 12:12   #4611
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
To add on, I checked around in Skoda UK website. Almost all the engine/gearbox combinations from VAG are on sale there. The combination of 1.6 TDI + AT is missing in the options there. Unless they have plans for a completely new AT box, I reckon this will remain as a rumour.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 12:16   #4612
BHPian

It may sound silly but for the first time yesterday I heard my Black Knight growl. It so happened that over the weekend the car was blessed by my friend's kid. Now all those with small kids (age 1-4) know what I mean. Anyway it wasn't much of a mess but to let the smell go out I sprayed it with perfume but to completely get rid of the stench I drove a couple of kms with the windows down. I don't usually do that since the dusty Hyd roads would paint my light colored interiors brown / black. So anyway the point I am making is that I heard the diesel in action after many many days and I was simply thrilled to hear its muted growl when pushed beyond 1800 revs and the turbo has spooled. Its deep purr (growl is wrong) was really music to the ears. I guess most of fellow TDI owners must have enjoyed it. If not I recommed you try. Of course after the brilliant Turbo has spooled the wind noise will overpower the engine music. But even so do try it if not done already.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 16:15   #4613
BHPian

Just back from a 5000 plus kms road trip from Mumbai - Hanumangarh-Jammu-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Pangong So Lake- Sarchu-Manali - Delhi-Ajmer and back. The Vento TDI did extremely well on the treacherous Srinagar - Leh - Manali circuit. At High altitudes the TDI managed a decent 15.5 KMPL. Ground clearance was an issue. However this will be the case for all Sedans and Hatchbacks in this section. Driving carefully and slow is the Key. There was loss of power at high altitudes due to reduced oxygen levels but there was enough pulling power in 1 st gear. But still it was a dream drive. The Scorpios, XUV's and the Innovas only managed to get 10 kmpl in this terrain. Will post some pics of the Vento in Ladakh soon.

Note from Team-BHP Support: There were a number of html tags in your post. Please do not copy-paste text from any external text editor. Thanks for your support.

Last edited by noopster : 25th June 2012 at 17:43. Reason: Refer mod note in post
Swift Express is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 16:28   #4614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
Just back from a 5000 plus kms road trip from Mumbai - Hanumangarh-Jammu-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Pangong So Lake- Sarchu-Manali - Delhi-Ajmer and back. The Vento TDI did extremely well on the treacherous Srinagar - Leh - Manali circuit. At High altitudes the TDI managed a decent 15.5 KMPL. Ground clearance was an issue. However this will be the case for all Sedans and Hatchbacks in this section. Driving carefully and slow is the Key. There was loss of power at high altitudes due to reduced oxygen levels but there was enough pulling power in 1 st gear. But still it was a dream drive. The Scorpios, XUV's and the Innovas only managed to get 10 kmpl in this terrain. Will post some pics of the Vento in Ladakh soon.
I'm already very exited & looking forward to the pics and travelogue too. Do share your experience & pics of Vento on this thread. By the way did you get the under belly checked after the drive.

Now I may too think of someday doing the same trip in my Vento TDi, knowing that these terrains are always done in an 4WD SUV.
Old 25th June 2012, 17:31   #4615
BHPian

Quote:
Will post some pics of the Vento in Ladakh soon.
Good news!!!
I can't wait to see the photographs and read about this trip. How many people traveled in the Vento along with you?

Last edited by noopster : 26th June 2012 at 09:01. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 25th June 2012, 17:43   #4616
BHPian

Quote:
Just back from a 5000 plus kms road trip from Mumbai - Hanumangarh-Jammu-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Pangong So Lake- Sarchu-Manali - Delhi-Ajmer and back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Good news!!!
I can't wait to see the photographs and read about this trip. How many people traveled in the Vento along with you?
Congrats on being the first one to take Vento to Leh. I dont think any bhpian has achieved this. Though I have been planning this for long but could not make it due to some family and work committments. Got my leaves approved and then had to cancel it. Anyways..

We need a detailed travelogue. Your post has given me another push and confidence that Vento can do it. I still have time and lets see if I can do this, this year.

Regards,
Aniket

Last edited by noopster : 26th June 2012 at 09:02. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 25th June 2012, 23:24   #4617
BHPian

Red Wind (Vento) at Pangong So Lake near the China Border.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento-pangong.jpg

At Pangong So Lake, Spangmik Village , Before Bara Lacha pass enroute to Manali, At Jispa Valley

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento-pangong-2.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento-spangmik-village.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-red-wind-before-bara-lacha.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-red-wind-midst-jam.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-red-wind-jispa-valley.jpg
You can definitely do it. Careful and slow driving is the key. Underbelly will get hit at some places. But if you are going slow then wont do much damage. Across huge craters you will have to keep one side of the wheels on higher ground. In slush do not speed otherwise wheels will spin and you will get stuck.The Oil Sump is bang in middle of the engine and you have to be very careful that it does not get hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Good news!!!
It was two of us Me n my wife.. she had to get down at 4 places - stream crossings in particular when you near high passes. At moore plains watch out for detours that you will have to take at sections where small over stream bridges are under construction. The detour is through loose sand and hence ensure that wheels do not spin.

Red Wind leading the Pack of vehicles going up to Zozila Pass. We were stopped here for two hours as the rock blasting was being done for road widening.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-leading-pack.jpg

Note From Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks.

Last edited by noopster : 26th June 2012 at 08:58. Reason: Refer mod note in post
Swift Express is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 23:45   #4618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Red Wind (Vento) at Pangong So Lake near the China Border.
Excellent pictures, hoping that this is just a short glimpse/trailer for more to come up in a proper travelogue.

Are you having stock tyres JK/Apollo or did you upgrade? Any punctures or sidewall damage encountered during the whole journey, knowing its a treacherous one? Lastly did you use any navigation aid GPS throughout the journey, if so which brand?

Congrats on being the 1st person to take a Vento TDi to Leh on Team-BHP. Inspiration for many of us.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 00:47   #4619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Red Wind leading the Pack of vehicles going up to Zozila Pass. We were stopped here for two hours as the rock blasting was being done for road widening.
Nice pics @swift express. But a word of advice - you might wanna stop multi-posting and instead put all your pics/thoughts in a single post, than posting multiple times.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 06:56   #4620
Senior - BHPian

Looks like yours is the trendline/comfortline with the 14" wheels. 15" wheels with 195/60 profile should take care of the GC issue I beleive...

And do take care of back to back posting, its against the forum rules.

Quote:
Ground clearance was an issue. However this will be the case for all Sedans and Hatchbacks in this section. Driving carefully and slow is the Key.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks