Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 10:56   #4651
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
When I first start my Vento TDI in the morning, I get a burning smell. This is always in the morning and happens 7/10 times. It goes off in a minute or so. When I park my car at office at about 10am and then again start it in the evening at about 6pm, ie., after a gap of say 8 hours, I do not get this smell. 8 hours is enough to cool the engine but still in the evening start I do not experience this.
Aniket , you should immediately get it checked - this is not normal . The most plausible reason is a sparking / leaking connection somewhere in the electricals which gets triggered when you switch on the ignition - should not be neglected .
You maybe missing the smell in the evening because by that time the air is generally full of dust and exhaust gases of the day gone by unlike the morning air - just my guess .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 14:38   #4652
BHPian

Quote:
When I first start my Vento TDI in the morning, I get a burning smell. This is always in the morning and happens 7/10 times. It goes off in a minute or so. When I park my car at office at about 10am and then again start it in the evening at about 6pm, ie., after a gap of say 8 hours, I do not get this smell. 8 hours is enough to cool the engine but still in the evening start I do not experience this.

My car has done only about 7400kms. So it's no where near to its service schedule.

Any clues, what could be the issue? Has anyone else noticed a similar behaviour?

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Aniket , you should immediately get it checked - this is not normal . The most plausible reason is a sparking / leaking connection somewhere in the electricals which gets triggered when you switch on the ignition - should not be neglected .
You maybe missing the smell in the evening because by that time the air is generally full of dust and exhaust gases of the day gone by unlike the morning air - just my guess .
I recieved an email from a gentleman who also owns a Vento TDI 2012 and faces similar issue. He is not a forum member, hence emailed me.

The reason he got from the SA is very disturbing. Below is text from his email :

Hi Ankit,

I have just saw your post in team bhp. I also own a vento TDI HL 2012 Post refresh model. Bought on 22-Jan-2012. I have not received the posting rights in Team Bhp forum.

I am also getting some smoke smell only in the morning when I start the vehicle for the first time. Ac everything works fine. My ODO reads 6650 Kms

In the mean time I have given my car for enabling the auto lock function and told the SA that the engine noise seems to be more.

After 4 days, Yesterday SA called me and told that “ They have found some metal particles in the injector” I have got Shocked.

How come the metal particle can enter into the injector. There is a 5 micron fuel filter in the fuel line.

It should come from the CRS Pump, Rail or injector piping. This shows the quality which they are adhering to…

I have asked VW to replace the whole engine. Lets see.

I don’t know when I will receive the vehicle back.

Regards
PRK Saravanan
Manager
Pricing & product Cost Engineering
Ashok Leyland Ltd

What say guys? I am really worried after reading this.

Regards,
Aniket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Aniket,
This doesn't seem normal. Although I really don't think the problem faced by the other gentleman might be the case with you too, but still you should get the car checked immidiately. By his name I'm assuming he's not based out of Pune, else you could contact the same SA/workshop. Still you can get the details and get your car validated for the same.
He is from Chennai. I will try to visit B.U. Bhandari service center @Wakad either tomorrow or Saturday.

Last edited by aniket.tiwari27 : 5th July 2012 at 15:02. Reason: Added response to a reply.
Old 5th July 2012, 14:57   #4653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I recieved an email from a gentleman who also owns a Vento TDI 2012 and faces similar issue. He is not a forum member, hence emailed me.

What say guys? I am really worried after reading this.

Regards,
Aniket
Aniket,
This doesn't seem normal. Although I really don't think the problem faced by the other gentleman might be the case with you too, but still you should get the car checked immidiately. By his name I'm assuming he's not based out of Pune, else you could contact the same SA/workshop. Still you can get the details and get your car validated for the same.
Old 5th July 2012, 17:14   #4654
Senior - BHPian

Aniket after reading your post, I'm . You should get your car checked ASAP. I don't want to trigger any chain reaction but, weren't there cause of burning Vento TDi. Let us know the outcome of the interaction of your with the SA. There would be other bhpians, Vento owners in Pune like @ninjatalli on whom you can always count on to make the case stronger.

Quote:
After 4 days, Yesterday SA called me and told that “ They have found some metal particles in the injector” I have got Shocked.

How come the metal particle can enter into the injector. There is a 5 micron fuel filter in the fuel line.

It should come from the CRS Pump, Rail or injector piping. This shows the quality which they are adhering to…

I have asked VW to replace the whole engine. Lets see.
This is even more shocking. Through which Workshop has the owner interacted? If I'm not wrong there are 2 VW Showroom/Workshop in Pune. Why not get a second opinion?

Secondly I don't intend to dampen his enthusiasm, opting for complete engine replacement is like pushing your luck too much. And even after engine replacement car wont be like it was earlier. Engine replacement is a huge thing. Rather get the problem solved and have the fuel line, filter, injectors replaced. I don't have much info on engine engineering though.
Old 6th July 2012, 11:24   #4655
BHPian

Quote:
When I first start my Vento TDI in the morning, I get a burning smell. This is always in the morning and happens 7/10 times. It goes off in a minute or so.
Any clues, what could be the issue? Has anyone else noticed a similar behaviour?

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari
Aniket,
Even I had the same issue, just like you mentioned --> Only in the morning and it goes off after a minute or so and then you dont get it at all for the entire day.
I didnt do anything about it, but it went off after some time. Might be worthwhile to check out what is the actual cause!.
Old 6th July 2012, 11:40   #4656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Aniket,
Even I had the same issue, just like you mentioned --> Only in the morning and it goes off after a minute or so and then you dont get it at all for the entire day.
I didnt do anything about it, but it went off after some time. Might be worthwhile to check out what is the actual cause!.
Today I didnt get that smell. Just check superficially, I opened the bonnet today and asked my wife to start the car so that I can check anything unusual in the engine bay but did not notice anything. Anyways, will try to visit the service senter asap. In the meantime, see if you can get some information from your service center.

Regards,
Aniket
Old 8th July 2012, 20:34   #4657
BHPian

So had a few things Vento related to share.

First the ugly:

Here is a what a friend did to his Vento, rash driving and loss of control - he blames it on a biker, but I do believe that that's not what happened, since I know him very well.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20120624_095007.jpg

Second, he had ordered some custom lamps for his Vento, here is the image - since car is a wreck now - he is selling it for 25,000 any comments?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img20120703wa000.jpg

Third, my ownership thread is almost ready also includes feedback from my 1300 km Himalayan trip details

Last edited by madnish30 : 8th July 2012 at 20:36.
Old 8th July 2012, 21:35   #4658
Senior - BHPian

Firstly good to know that your friend is safe which is more important. Secondly since Vento thread was inactive for long(Yeah 2 days is long time for me) and was expecting something new but didn't expect a wrecked Vento. Pun intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
So had a few things Vento related to share.

First the ugly:

Here is a what a friend did to his Vento, rash driving and loss of control - he blames it on a biker, but I do believe that that's not what happened, since I know him very well.

Attachment 953382

Second, he had ordered some custom lamps for his Vento, here is the image - since car is a wreck now - he is selling it for 25,000 any comments?

Attachment 953383
Looking at the image your friend steered towards the left which in turn resulted in hitting the divider. The airbags have been deployed and the engine sump is completely ripped off resulting oil all over the place.

Was there any intrusion into the cabin during the incident and what speeds did this happen. I'm asking since to know the capability of the car at such speeds, hoping your friend doesn't mind sharing the minute details.

What was the IDV value of the car on papers and isn't 25K very less since only the front part is damaged. Selling the alloys would easily fetch him 40K plus as each alloy costs roughly Rs. 20K each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Third, my ownership thread is almost ready also includes feedback from my 1300 km Himalayan trip details
Looking forward to the ownership thread and more importantly the Himalayan Trip. Some day a Leh trip in my Vento.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 8th July 2012 at 21:37.
Old 8th July 2012, 23:06   #4659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
What was the IDV value of the car on papers and isn't 25K very less since only the front part is damaged. Selling the alloys would easily fetch him 40K plus as each alloy costs roughly Rs. 20K each.
I think the lamps are for sale for 25K, not the wrecked car.
Old 8th July 2012, 23:20   #4660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Firstly good to know that your friend is safe which is more important. Secondly since Vento thread was inactive for long(Yeah 2 days is long time for me) and was expecting something new but didn't expect a wrecked Vento. Pun intended.

Looking at the image your friend steered towards the left which in turn resulted in hitting the divider. The airbags have been deployed and the engine sump is completely ripped off resulting oil all over the place.

Was there any intrusion into the cabin during the incident and what speeds did this happen. I'm asking since to know the capability of the car at such speeds, hoping your friend doesn't mind sharing the minute details.

Looking forward to the ownership thread and more importantly the Himalayan Trip. Some day a Leh trip in my Vento.
Apparently he was "crusing" on an empty road at 0630 in the morning (read driving rashly at speeds beyond 120-130kmph) when suddenly a biker crossed his path from nowhere, in order to save the biker he claims he jammed the brakes and steered away and this was the result.

No, there was no intrusion in the cabin besides the knick knacs kept here and there spilling all over the place and the HU coming off, so much so the windshield to did not break, just cracked at one place, and yes he came out scratchless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
I think the lamps are for sale for 25K, not the wrecked car.
That is right - he had placed an order for the said lights - now the car is a wreck so he is selling the lights for 25k any comments on the lights - design, price etc?

The car's repair bill is 7 lacs, claim investigation is going on - he will claim the damage and sell the car off.
Old 10th July 2012, 08:30   #4661
BHPian

No point repairing and selling the car. I think he should opt for "total loss"
Old 10th July 2012, 14:07   #4662
BHPian

I came across this news item Volkswagen plans to start export of Vento from second half of 2012 to Middle East, African countries - The Economic Times today. I agree that the quality of the Vento is definitely export quality and it should do well in those markets albeit with more gizmos thrown in. I am sure it's the petrol Vento which will be exported more as these are petrol markets specially the middle east . That's why I am interested in knowing how the petrol Vento compares with that of the City. Apart from Noopster do we have any ownership reviews of the petrol Vento in the forum specially a petrol Vento with a stick shift?
Old 10th July 2012, 14:24   #4663
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I came across this news item Volkswagen plans to start export of Vento from second half of 2012 to Middle East, African countries - The Economic Times today. I agree that the quality of the Vento is definitely export quality and it should do well in those markets albeit with more gizmos thrown in. I am sure it's the petrol Vento which will be exported more as these are petrol markets specially the middle east.
Indian-made Vento is already being exported to some other markets. Malaysia now has the petrol Vento AT as Polo Sedan. Only difference I noticed - the export quality Vento is a bit more loaded on safety features
Old 10th July 2012, 16:07   #4664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
That's why I am interested in knowing how the petrol Vento compares with that of the City. Apart from Noopster do we have any ownership reviews of the petrol Vento in the forum specially a petrol Vento with a stick shift?
I have a comparo between Vento AT and City AT in my ownership thread on this forum. Though its quite subjective ( since I do not own a City, I couldnt be objective enough).

Yes there are very few Petrol Vento ownership reports here and most are ATs. There are 5 AT reports (noopster, anilkavlani, nvluv and subodh I think plus mine now) and there is 1 Petrol MT report as well (forgot whose it is, maybe chet86 or something like that).
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 20:18   #4665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
there is 1 Petrol MT report as well (forgot whose it is, maybe chet86 or something like that).
Thanks will try locating this review.

On a different note, I need some quick help from all Ventoheads out here. My Bajaj Alliance insurance is up for renewal and have quoted Rs 24,493 for the same. I remember having bumper to bumper and zero depreciation but I also read somewhere either here or in one of the ownership threads that while renewing one has to explicitly ask for the zero depreciation. Can some member please throw some light on this? It would be good if some bullets can be shared on what to watch out for while I process this renewal. Thanks a lot in advance.

EDIT: On doing a search on the Vento threads I noticed the premium quoted to me is higher than others have got. I also noticed that the IDV value as Rs 836690. I wonder how they arrived at that figure and that too seems higher than what others have. Since I am mostly a noob in this field would like to hear your opinion on the quote. I can shop around as I still have some time to go but my preference would be to continue with this one if the competitors cannot offer me a significant better deal.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 10th July 2012 at 20:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks