Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 22:21   #466
Senior - BHPian

@.anshuman, I said modern .

But thanks for the info and I stand corrected. I guess they are able to do it because of the solid axle. EBD is a must for a vehicle like that.
Old 31st August 2010, 23:16   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya79 View Post
+1. Thanks Guna. That clarifies the confusion in my head. Maybe a typo on the post or in ACI.
But as Chethan says, petrol figures are quite high. How do these numbers compare with similar in- gear details for comparable cars - in this instance ANHC?
Hope this is not OT.
20-80 kph in gear accelerations:
Vento Petrol: 13.4 secs
ANHC: 12.86 secs
Fiesta 1.6: 11.7 secs

40-100 in gear accelerations:
Vento Petrol: 22.6
ANHC: 16.7
Fiesta: 17.21
Old 31st August 2010, 23:49   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
ACI figures for vento published in september 2010 issue (figures in bold are for diesel):...
VW Vento petrol/diesel..... ANHC Petrol
  • 0-60 kmph: 5.09/ 4.80.......4.58
  • 0-100 kmph: 12.18/ 11.30.....10.28
Acceleration in gear: Vento P/Diesel.....ANHC P
  • 20-80 3rd gear: 13.40 secs/ 9.24 secs....../12.86
  • 40-100 in 4th gear: 22.61 seconds/ 10.50 seconds....../16.71
Fuel economy:

Vento petrol/ANHC Petrol:
  • city: 9.2 kmpl..../10.1
  • highway: 15.3 kmpl...../16.5
  • combined average: 12.25 kmpl...../13.3
Diesel:
  • city: 13.1 kmpl
  • highway: 17.3 kmpl
  • combined average: 15.2 kmpl
Old 1st September 2010, 00:50   #469
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your response. I have only seen the mention of ABS in all the places including the brouchre and there was no specific mention of EBD system. If im not mistaken, scorpio comes with 3 channel ABS system with the rear sensor placed in the differential and hence my query on the number of channels.

I should have re-phrased the questions better - Is the music system a 2 DIN one? I recollect reading somewhere that aftermarket 2 DIN units are not a direct fit in polo and need some additional modifications. Thats the clarification i was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
1. All modern ABS units are 4 channel.
2. DIN is a standard. The n in german means 'standard'
Old 1st September 2010, 03:05   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
@.anshuman, I said modern .

But thanks for the info and I stand corrected. I guess they are able to do it because of the solid axle. EBD is a must for a vehicle like that.
And surprisingly the Brakes in Scorpio with ABS are very well calibrated and work very well(If they work, this SUV has ABS error light on most of the times anyways, including ours ).

Last edited by .anshuman : 1st September 2010 at 03:06.
Old 1st September 2010, 17:41   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Sir, Mahindra Scorpio comes with a 3 channel ABS system without EBD and Brake assist.
Which model ? I have a VLX it has a 2 channel ABS, no EBD & Brake Assist.
Old 1st September 2010, 20:25   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Which model ? I have a VLX it has a 2 channel ABS, no EBD & Brake Assist.
Its a 3 Channel system, Independent channels for front wheels and third channel shared by wheels on rear axle. I own a pre-Refresh VLX too.
Old 1st September 2010, 21:12   #473
Senior - BHPian

Nothing wrong with 3-channel system from an ABS working POV, except that it forces you to use a F-R split whereas a 4-channel system uses a (much safer) diagonal split system.

IIRC, you have to have diagonal split system in the US to pass FMVSS testing.
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:34   #474
BHPian

Brilliant review, GTO. It covered pretty much everything I needed to know about the car. Thank you VERY much.

I'm swapping out my Swift-D in a 8 months or so and the Vento looks like a winner, because for me, performance comes first. I'm thinking some 16-inchers, and a Pete's box.

But.... this may sound petty, but I'm not touching it till there's some upgrades to the interiors in terms of:

1. Aux & USB Support
2. Steering mounted controls (at least for the stereo)
3. Some Bluetooth integration.

I haven't burned a CD for the car in five years and I refuse to regress. VW's missing a trick by leaving this out, in my opinion.
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:10   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Well said my friend ! Interesting comparison. Its a lifestyle decision i guess, you pay more for Honda because of the Brand Image and Clean Styling. But for the 1st time, heres's a car with an equal amount of Brand respect and probably equally attractive styling.
Being the ex-owner of an Accord, and the current owner of an NHC, I can report that India is probably one of the only countries in the world where people use the words "Honda" and "Brand Image" in the same sentence.

Every time I drive the NHC, all that comes to mind is that this is an immensely average car that's reliable and dependable, but has absolutely no soul and will never, ever, put a smile on my face. In fact, I can honestly state i have more fun driving my Swift-D than I do when I'm behind the wheel of my NHC.
I've driven the ANHC too, and it's better, but it still leaves me unimpressed.

Having said that, I realize this is a personal opinion. I'm sure my priorities differ from those people that LIKE Honda products, whatever their reasons may be.

My Swift will be replaced in another 12 months or so, and if the choice was between a Vento and a Honda City, my money's going to VW. I'm sure the Honda will be more reliable in the long run, but i know the Vento will make me smile more often and to me that's worth a lot.
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:52   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I can report that India is probably one of the only countries in the world where people use the words "Honda" and "Brand Image" in the same sentence.
And this goes for Skoda, VW and Toyota too. Different Countries, Different perception of how the 'brand image' role works.
Old 2nd September 2010, 17:24   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
And this goes for Skoda, VW and Toyota too. Different Countries, Different perception of how the 'brand image' role works.
Sure, but consider this.

VW makes plenty of cars that will thrill you to bits... the Golf GTi, the Golf R, the Scirocco. Skoda has their vRS variants. All these cars are designed for driving pleasure.... that's their sole aim.

Does Honda make such a vehicle any more? No. In fact, in the last 12 months, they've discontinued the ONLY two cars they made that were a hoot to drive - the NSX and the Civic Type-R (the two door variant).
They seem to want to focus on stodgy cars that are meant for A-to-B without any fun along the way.

I realize that a Vento isn't going to win any quarter-mile races, but at least they've given us an engine that will make the motorhead in most of us smile. Honda doesn't seem like they're trying.

That's the point I'm trying to make.
Old 2nd September 2010, 17:48   #478
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
VW makes plenty of cars that will thrill you to bits... the Golf GTi, the Golf R, the Scirocco.
+1
Dont know about the americas and europe, but in middle east VW is considered premium-in the sense that it is way more reputed brand than honda or toyota(except the LCs), so somewhere between japs/americans and the real premium ones like mercs, beemers.
This is because it is associated with Golf/GTi, sirocco and new beetle. Never seen polo(s) there.
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:02   #479
Senior - BHPian

Premium? Yes VW is more premium than Honda.

Brand Image, I think it does not mean premium and I think Honda has a better Brand Image owing to its reliability, built to requirement and efficiency. Coming to great driver's cars, I think Honda has made great ones like S2000, NSX and Civic Type R which will beat anything similar made(or not made) from VW. Both cater to different requirements now.

Last edited by srishiva : 2nd September 2010 at 18:04.
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:13   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure, but consider this.

VW makes plenty of cars that will thrill you to bits... the Golf GTi, the Golf R, the Scirocco. Skoda has their vRS variants. All these cars are designed for driving pleasure.... that's their sole aim.

Does Honda make such a vehicle any more? No.

I realize that a Vento isn't going to win any quarter-mile races, but at least they've given us an engine that will make the motorhead in most of us smile. Honda doesn't seem like they're trying.

That's the point I'm trying to make.
Well, it seems we are on different path by what 'Brand Image' means. By brand image, i meant, reliability, efficiency, faith, after sales, does-the-job kind of thing. While being premium is a part of Brand Image, it has different meaning in my book atleast. Though Honda and VW both are playing their 'premium brand image' role very well in India.

As for fun to drive quotient is considered, i still rate civic better to drive than jetta and corolla and same goes for accord over camry and passat. This is may be due to their high-revving petrols that i have driven the most and not the diesels.

I too am not too happy with the way Honda is managing their portfolio. I mean they have stopped s2000, type-r for civic, nsx, crx. And i can't see their replacements on the horizon too. The newly launched CR-Z is a bore too. They still have civic type-r in production but its a no match for supercharged impreza and mazda3 speed.

And while i haven't driven the Vento to comment on its engine, the honda city has a very good engine. It has good enough punch to make you smile while taking off a traffic light or doing 100+ speeds.

Edit: Looks like Srishiva already made a similar point

Last edited by chevelle : 2nd September 2010 at 18:24.

Most Viewed