Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 22:00   #4816
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Even I faced this problem very recently. I got the first service of my car done. The very next day while driving I suddenly noticed that the Fuel bars was not displaying. I had topped the car the previous day. I got scared. Distance to Empty was also not showing anything. I tried to calm down. parked the car on the side. Switched off the car and pulled the key out. Then after 5 secs started the car again and thankfully this time the bars were there. Gave me a real shock for 5 secs.
Last week it happened a lot of times. I turn off engine in traffic lights and find the bars disappear. Small things like these irritate a lot and makes driving not so pleasurable.
Also the auto climate is really dumb or is confused by Bengaluru's weather (its so much cooler outside). I would have really hoped if cleaning the filter was DIY.

Last edited by srishiva : 31st July 2012 at 22:02.
Old 31st July 2012, 23:08   #4817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
The VW sales man had come to my house to get the 5 photos and signature on FORM 20. I have not even seen the car yet. He was a little shocked that I refused to sign the form 20 , and I was a little shocked that he expected me to sign the form 20 with out seeing the car!!!
Well done ! If you are spending INR 11 lakhs of your hard earned money , please stomp around enforcing your due rights. Look forward to welcoming you to the Vento owners group . There's a quirks and features thread that has been put up through the combined effort by the early owners , you may find it useful to browse through
Cheers
Old 1st August 2012, 00:37   #4818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
Where can i get this TBHP PDI list folks ?
There you go. Link.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 04:32   #4819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Well done ! If you are spending INR 11 lakhs of your hard earned money , please stomp around enforcing your due rights. Look forward to welcoming you to the Vento owners group . There's a quirks and features thread that has been put up through the combined effort by the early owners , you may find it useful to browse through
Cheers
It costs 12 L INR in Chennai. TN Registration and road taxes are sky high. Is it true that in VW vento we can set up a speed limit which if we cross the vehicle will give out an alarm?
Old 1st August 2012, 06:30   #4820
BHPian

Quote:
Is it true that in VW vento we can set up a speed limit which if we cross the vehicle will give out an alarm?
Yes, you can. Check this post of mine from the Vento features and quirks thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2491479
Old 1st August 2012, 20:35   #4821
BHPian

Got delivery of my car today evening. It was a very smooth process all together. The VW salesman was a good professional and he did a good job.

We decided on the VW last saturday and today is wednesday and my car is standing in my carport. I like the look of my two white cars parked side by side . The whole process was smooth and the only delay I experienced was a 30 minute slip in schedule. Went to the dealership to do a PDI before signing the form 20 this morning.

I did not want to go to the dealership to get delivery instead asked that the car be delivered to my home. It came home at 5.30 PM.

I did not get time to buy a gift for the sales person. Instead I gave him a gift card for rs.1000 . He was very very happy and so was I.

I am EXTREMELY confused about using the Multi Function Display, and reading the manual did not help either. I hope some one will make a you tube video on it. My 13 yr old nephew and I tried figuring it out, but finally gave up.

I like the car very much. It is so simple and elegant( except the MFD ). So clean and composed. I was surprised by the good quality audio system.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img2473zp.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img2479cr.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img2480x.jpg

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Please click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd August 2012 at 12:34. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
rrnsss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 21:20   #4822
BHPian

First of all, welcome to the Vento club.

The MID is pretty simple really:

Your basic controls for interacting with the MID are:
1) Rocker switch on the end of the wiper (right) stalk - used to select data set.
2) OK/RESET switch on bottom edge of wiper (right) stalk - used to set values and to select between alternate data sets where available.
3) Two buttons on the speedometer/display module (right - SET/OK; left unlabelled) - used to select/set clock (left) and ODO/TRIP (right).

The First line (above the static line) is the clock, which you can set by clicking the left button on the display module - simply press once for hours, twice for minutes. to change the value for each, use the rocker switch at the end of your wiper (right stalk). Third press will bring up your distance to service indicator (with a wrench next to it - value changes every 100 km). Just leave it for 5 seconds for the MID to return to default display settings.

The Second line (between the static lines) displays values such as distance travelled (1 and 2), mileage (average [1 and 2] and instant), distance to empty, current speed, trip time (1 and 2), average speed (1 and 2) and distance travelled (1 and 2) etc. Scroll through the available data using the rocker switch at the end of your wiper (right) stalk.
..... In the picture for example, it is displaying current average trip mileage (and yes, others have got better values than this)

. Here, all values with the sign like the greek phi (Ø)next to them are averages. The rest are instant values.

. Wherever you see a 1 (default) or 2 (selected) next to your value (average mileage, trip distance, trip time, average speed), pressing the OK button on the bottom edge of your wiper stalk (feel around for it) will bring up the alternate value labelled 2.

. You will notice that for the above data, value 1 and value 2 will differ:

. This is because value 1 refers to data calculated and maintained for the current trip (max 19 hours, 2000 km or trip with stop/s less than 2 hours). If any of these constraints is exceeded, these values will reset to 0 and a new trip will start when you next start the car.

. Value 2 refers to data calculated and maintained over a period of 99 hours or 19000 km, whichever is earlier. There is no stop duration constraint for these values.

. The value with a petrol pump sign next to it is the Distance To Empty indicator. It will display values calculated based on current average mileage for the trip.

. Your car comes with a speed warning. On the MID, this value will have a "Θ" next to it. You can set it to any speed above 30 kmph by cycling to that value and pressing the OK button on your right (wiper) stalk so that it starts blinking. Then set the speed by pressing the rocker on the end of your wiper (right) stalk up or down to change value in increments of 5 kmph. Press OK again when you reach your desired value to register it.
.. When your car reaches/exceeds this speed, you will hear a beep and the MID will flash.

The Third line (below the static line) is the ODO/TRIP. To change between ODO and TRIP, press the right button (SET/OK) on the display module. To reset the TRIP to 0, press and hold the SET button for 2 seconds.

Your fuel display is at the bottom. It will register in 1/8th tankful up till a quarter tank. Below that, it will display in 1/16 of a tankful. A tank full of diesel is approximately 60 litres.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20120301020_tbhp.jpg  

Last edited by pillainp : 1st August 2012 at 21:50. Reason: To add pic and info
pillainp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:52   #4823
Senior - BHPian

Is there any passenger airbag ON/OFF switch in the refreshed Ventos? Mine is a June 2012 HL diesel and i tried my best searching for any switch but couldnt find one.

By my logic, there should be one. My Linea too has this option, nothing of any sorts in glovebox or door areas , confused.
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:04   #4824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007
Is there any passenger airbag ON/OFF switch in the refreshed Ventos?
I don't think so. Vento doesn't have this feature. Personally I would not want such a feature in the car. What if that one time I forget to switch on the passenger airbag, when it was switched off earlier. I would not want a disaster because of me forgetting one silly switch.
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:54   #4825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I don't think so. Vento doesn't have this feature. Personally I would not want such a feature in the car. What if that one time I forget to switch on the passenger airbag, when it was switched off earlier.
Thanks, so there is no such thing like that in Vento.
I kind of agree to what you say and thats a good thinking but 90% of times am travelling alone on highways or city so i had developed a habit to switch the passenger airbag off when am travelling alone on highways.

Forgetting to switch on the airbag is not that easy, the airbag warning light on instrument console keeps glowing for the time the airbag is off.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:12   #4826
BHPian

Quote:
What if that one time I forget to switch on the passenger airbag, when it was switched off earlier. I would not want a disaster because of me forgetting one silly switch.
There are atleast 2 kinds of airbag switches I have seen (mostly outside India - I have never driven higher end cars in India for longhauls to notice).
One kind enforces you to switch OFF every time you restart the car. By default they are ON: the advanced ones with weight sensing gizmos,etc
Another kind requires you to use the car key to switch between OFF and ON.

On the second, I agree, it is a disaster if you do not bother to switch it back to ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
i had developed a habit to switch the passenger airbag off when am travelling alone on highways.

Forgetting to switch on the airbag is not that easy, the airbag warning light on instrument console keeps glowing for the time the airbag is off.
I agree about the warning light - You just cannot ignore the flashes.
However check if you have a weight sensing kind. You probably need not switch 'OFF' when the passenger is not around.

Cheers, D
DieselDon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:24   #4827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Like in my Vento TDi HL Apr'11, 2 weeks back the ACC all of a sudden stopped cooling. Just air coming out of ac vents, no cooling whatsoever. I was about 1 Km away from my home, so anyway managed to get home. Next thing comes to mind is calling up VW.
Hey , I had this problem few months back. One fine day, there was just air coming and my car pooling colleagues were cribbing on the way to office. While coming back from work (after about 9 hours or so) the AC was OK !.
Next the Gear indicator disappeared and was appearing intermittently.
Mileage was not shown correctly and was giving dismally low values.

Took the car to Abra Motors and they did the remap and things seemed to be OK. (2 iterations actually). The mileage bit is still not OK, as the instant mileage seems to be calculated every 5-10 meters and that leads to wrong calculation in city drives. That was not the case earlier. They could not fix it and am living with it.

Last week, a hooligan has a cracked my windscreen and now I will have to take it the service center to get it replaced. I trust, that's covered by insurance . if not, what would be the alternatives, please let me know.
My brakes have also faded, clocked 27K yesterday, so would need to replace that as well.

For all the above a brief sojourn at the Ambattur workshop of Abra Motors would be required, I guess
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:41   #4828
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Personally I would not want such a feature in the car. What if that one time I forget to switch on the passenger airbag, when it was switched off earlier. I would not want a disaster because of me forgetting one silly switch.
Well the reason the switch is there is for when you have a rear-facing child seat placed in the passenger seat. It would be MORE disastrous to not turn off the airbag in this case, than it would to not have an airbag function when a belted-up adult is in that seat.

More info on when airbags should be turned off : Air Bag Deactivation: The Air Bag On-Off Decision - Transport Canada

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:04   #4829
BHPian

Quote:
2) Where can I get Kagu 3d mats in Chennai
You can get Kagu 3D mats at Jeewajee, Anna Nagar. They are very good.
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:12   #4830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Hey , I had this problem few months back. One fine day, there was just air coming and my car pooling colleagues were cribbing on the way to office. While coming back from work (after about 9 hours or so) the AC was OK !.
I had switched the car back again after a span of 15 mins and ACC was cooling without a problem. Somehow the computer wizardry goes haywire and a small restart of car after 15 mins boots back the computer to working fine. Just like our Microsoft based Windows operating system.

Quote:
The mileage bit is still not OK, as the instant mileage seems to be calculated every 5-10 meters and that leads to wrong calculation in city drives. That was not the case earlier. They could not fix it and am living with it.
Do not use instant mileage, there is one which gives proper FE reading after every 5 min or so. But I did take it with a pinch of salt and only believe in FE calculated via tank to tank method.

Earlier I used to keep the FE on MiD to keep looking at it how the mileage goes by throughout the 30 km journey which was a huge distraction. Now I have put Outside Temperature on MiD which gives outside temperature display and doesn't distract me from driving. At the end of journey I just toggle to see the FE which shows 19+ Kmpl in morning and 17+ in evening. I drive very sedately throughout since speeding makes me reach my destination by just 2-3 minutes early.

Quote:
Last week, a hooligan has a cracked my windscreen and now I will have to take it the service center to get it replaced. I trust, that's covered by insurance . if not, what would be the alternatives, please let me know.
Sorry to hear about. Insurance will cover the damages be it comprehensive or zero dep. Whenever an accident occurs always take pics of car which may help in claim processing.

Vento front windshield costs Rs. 4512 and part number 6RG845011A NVB.

Quote:
My brakes have also faded, clocked 27K yesterday, so would need to replace that as well.
27K is a good figure considering Vento TDi's 250NM torque makes us go way faster then we do normally.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed