Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2012, 10:04   #4921
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If the animal is not big/heavy enough then the better thing to do is to just run over. I think thats an unwritten rule (or it might be a written rule also I dont know) in US where this problem is quite pronounced. Of course it is quite cruel thing to do but if you are doing speeds then theres always chance of a serious accident if you try to swerve your way around. and animals are unpredictable, esp dogs and there might still be an "accident" even if you try to avoid. But on the other hand running over leaves a bad taste in the mouth if your love animals.
Running over something as big as a peacock can cause severe damage I assume? If it was a dog - I wouldn't have panicked so much... just gone with instincts! The Yamuna Expressway has signs warning of Neegais... I would really not want to encounter those while driving, they are too big to run over...
madnish30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 10:11   #4922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Running over something as big as a peacock can cause severe damage I assume? If it was a dog - I wouldn't have panicked so much... just gone with instincts! The Yamuna Expressway has signs warning of Neegais... I would really not want to encounter those while driving, they are too big to run over...
I agree with you, running over a beautiful bird like a peacock would have caused you quite a lot of underbody damage. Even with dogs I ended up with underbody damage in my swift 6 years back
Old 20th August 2012, 11:24   #4923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
OT Point:

Earlier today, I had gone to the vw workshop to give off my car for warranty claims when I saw this!

Attachment 968865
Please note there were two more line(s) of cars like these

Do note all of these were petrol Ventos, and most if not all were highline.
Ok, let me explain a bit more on what is the scenario out here. A lil birdie tweeted in my ears to explain about these cars - most of these cars have been used for internal company usage and so-so. The number of kms range from a few Ks to 20+Ks; and from time to time, these cars are offered to VW employees at a hefty discount, get this - close to 3 lakhs discount per car.

Whatever remains of this garage sale then goes for public (bulk) sale - to dealers/corporations/etc. And of course, the discounts would probably go up too.

P.s. The lil birdie also informed me of this - sometime back he had received an offer (as part of such a similar deal) for a year old Yeti that has done 20k kms for 11 lakhs!!!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th August 2012 at 11:28.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 12:04   #4924
BHPian

Quote:
I see no damage to upper grill, monogram or lower grill - lower grill is miss aligned due to the impact.... and what is "absorbers" he said they are inside and may or may not need replacement...

I'm in two minds wheather to get this done or not... the car has done 7,000 kms in around 80 days and I drive it a lot and these minor things will keep happening, he says the car is fine and no compulsion to get this done... but the issue is I have to get high-security number plate installed - and if I fix it on damaged bumper - I can't get a new one for new bumper without banging head with FIR at police and the RTO!
I'm confused - please help!
From the outrageous quote, I guess you went to VW Delhi South?
Abhinav.Daos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 13:59   #4925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
From the outrageous quote, I guess you went to VW Delhi South?
VW Delhi West. It wa a very quick examination and a very rough estimate - I wish they would have given a better and more accurate estimate.
Old 20th August 2012, 15:18   #4926
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,
Do share your 2nd year insurance details - I'm assuming most if not all of you would have taken zero depreciation cover. Just less than a month to go for my renewal, I just took an online renewal quote from TATA-AIG; I am being quoted a premium amount 28.5k.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-tata-aig-quote.jpg

I will be trying other channels (agents) / insurance companies, however would like to know what range should I be expecting. Any suggestions/inputs are welcome.
Old 20th August 2012, 17:06   #4927
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
Do share your 2nd year insurance details - I'm assuming most if not all of you would have taken zero depreciation cover. Just less than a month to go for my renewal, I just took an online renewal quote from TATA-AIG; I am being quoted a premium amount 28.5k.

Attachment 972494

I will be trying other channels (agents) / insurance companies, however would like to know what range should I be expecting. Any suggestions/inputs are welcome.
Ninja he is quoting more, I got a Bajaj Allianz Drive Assure economy, and I ended up paying 25 something, get a quote from Bajaj guys as well..... call them up, the website would tell the rack rate
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 17:12   #4928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Ninja he is quoting more, I got a Bajaj Allianz Drive Assure economy, and I ended up paying 25 something, get a quote from Bajaj guys as well..... call them up, the website would tell the rack rate
Thanks. Interesting that you would mention BA - I had given my contact details on their website - they called me an hour ago - the quote with Drive Assure package was given at 34k. I duly mentioned the first year's premium (30k) and the online quote of TA, they have informed me that they'll get back later with a better quote.

Btw BA guys assumed a IDV value of 8.3 lakhs, considering 10% depreciation on last year's IDV value (9.2 lakhs) - what was the IDV value considered in your second year's premium?
Old 20th August 2012, 17:19   #4929
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Interesting that you would mention BA - I had given my contact details on their website - they called me an hour ago - the quote with Drive Assure package was given at 34k. I duly mentioned the first year's premium (30k) and the online quote of TA, they have informed me that they'll get back later with a better quote.

Btw BA guys assumed a IDV value of 8.3 lakhs, considering 10% depreciation on last year's IDV value (9.2 lakhs) - what was the IDV value considered in your second year's premium?
Lemme reach home, I will take a photograph of my policy and mail it to you, you can negotiate accordingly

PMing you my mail address
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 17:52   #4930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

IDV calculation has to be as per IRDA norms , please refer to the IDV link So if they are showing you higher IDV for charging a higher premium , please beware !

I renewed my policy with Lombard , its a zero dep policy - the premium is Rs 22434.Policy attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vento Insurance.pdf (709.7 KB, 671 views)
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 18:43   #4931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
IDV calculation has to be as per IRDA norms , please refer to the IDV link So if they are showing you higher IDV for charging a higher premium , please beware !
I think some insurers do give you an option to choose a higher IDV than the standard depreciated value and of course then the premium has an added premium to it!

Also there was some effect of the budget this year on insurance premiums. Rates have increased.
Old 20th August 2012, 22:03   #4932
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, took my car for a little spin on the Yamuna Expressway - the speeds I touched I won't be discussing here as it's against the rules and law - but the car was solid on ground at speeds beyond 150KMPH - which was surprising. Had a peacock cross because of which I had to jam the brakes at around 130KMPH and steer left cuz of which ABS kicked in but the car stopped dead, I just panicked cuz of the co-pax panicking and steered away instead of speeding and crossing the peacock safely (which was possible, but don't know how the peacock would have reacted).
I guess that is the reason they have put the speed limit as 100 on the Yamuna Expressway. I am just back from a road trip where I drove around 2200 kms in a span of 5 days. I never tried to push the car beyond the limits of the road. Animals and livestock are part of Indian highways and if you are not careful the only person who will suffer is you yourself. What I noted is if the car is around 100-120 it can be easily brought under control provided there is good visibility when an animal is sighted. This is assuming that the highway is mostly empty only then you could do such speeds. Hitting a Neelgai would probably cause massive damage to the car. I don't think doing crazy speeds on highways make much sense as the average speed over a distance doesn't improve drastically. Its better to do lower speeds which allows you to maintain better average speeds over longer distances which in turn also improves your FE. My mid consistently showed a range of a 1000 km plus all the time during this trip. Frankly I continue to be amazed with this car's dynamics. I drove through pouring rain at good speeds because the highway was empty and never felt unsafe even once. I will share a video later of that part of the drive.

Quote:

I think BA will whittle down their quote to around 30K ish. After I analyzed all the quotes I realized that the only difference between the quotes was the drive assure/zero dep premium being quoted. BA adds something called the engine protector coverage where they claim at least in case of any water ingestion damage the engine parts are covered. I specifically asked Tata AIG and ICICI Lombard and they said they don't cover this aspect. Since I stay in "water logging anytime" city I went with it. Actually for ICICI Lombard there are different tiers like copper, silver and platinum I think. The Rs 22K quote from ICICI is for their copper plan. They too have something like the engine protector plan which is the silver plan and their quote came to more than what BA was quoting.
Old 20th August 2012, 22:42   #4933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think some insurers do give you an option to choose a higher IDV than the standard depreciated value and of course then the premium has an added premium to it!

Also there was some effect of the budget this year on insurance premiums. Rates have increased.
joslicx , I think IDV value calculation has been set by IRDA norms and there is no option given as such . You can add-on insurance for accessories which is permitted but bumping up IDV of the car on the ex showroom price leaves you at the mercy of the insurance company at the time of the claim IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I think BA will whittle down their quote to around 30K ish. After I analyzed all the quotes I realized that the only difference between the quotes was the drive assure/zero dep premium being quoted. BA adds something called the engine protector coverage where they claim at least in case of any water ingestion damage the engine parts are covered. I specifically asked Tata AIG and ICICI Lombard and they said they don't cover this aspect. Since I stay in "water logging anytime" city I went with it. Actually for ICICI Lombard there are different tiers like copper, silver and platinum I think. The Rs 22K quote from ICICI is for their copper plan. They too have something like the engine protector plan which is the silver plan and their quote came to more than what BA was quoting.
BA's engine protector gives additional protection against damage to the engine due to leakage of engine oil and damage to the gear box (Isn't the same covered under warranty ? ) . Flooding is already covered under all the comprehensive car insurance policies, it comes under the purview of natural calamities so the Lombard guy who mentioned that flooding is not covered must be unaware of it, please refer to the attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-lombard.jpg  

Old 20th August 2012, 23:29   #4934
BHPian

[quote=souravc;2877266
BA's engine protector gives additional protection against damage to the engine due to leakage of engine oil and damage to the gear box (Isn't the same covered under warranty ? ) . Flooding is already covered under all the comprehensive car insurance policies, it comes under the purview of natural calamities so the Lombard guy who mentioned that flooding is not covered must be unaware of it, please refer to the attachment[/QUOTE]

Not very sure about this. When I talked to both the BA and the ICICI guys they were talking about accidental water damage but not due to floods. Floods are generally a natural calamity but what happens when you had to drive through some water logged area and the engine ingested water accidentally. I don't think that would be covered under floods. This is exactly what I had asked about the coverage. I am attaching the BA description of the engine protector here for comments.

DriveAssure Details.pdf

Might be a better idea to move this discussion to the insurance thread.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 07:45   #4935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Lemme reach home, I will take a photograph of my policy and mail it to you, you can negotiate accordingly

PMing you my mail address
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post

I renewed my policy with Lombard , its a zero dep policy - the premium is Rs 22434.Policy attached.
@Souravc / @evilShantanu - thanks for sharing the documents. Guys, by your documents I trust you have got 20% NCB discount for the 2nd year premium - I wouldn't be getting that for my quote. And keeping that in consideration, a 28k quote seems to be in line with what you got. And as @joslicx has correctly mentioned, there was a lot of news about the premiums to be increasing this year.

Not that I'm going to stop at that - let's see how much lower can I get these guys to go. A friend of mine who had multiple claims in the first year, got a final quote of 24k from Bharti AXA this year.

Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure when the claim calculations comes up (during total loss scenarios) they'll go by the IRDA rule book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Thanks for the details. I'm a little skittish over ICICI and their credibility, even though Sourav and a few others have had good experiences with them. Eventually I might just choose one out of Tata or BA in the end.

Quote:
Might be a better idea to move this discussion to the insurance thread.
Agree on that. Any more doubts/discussions on this aspect, and I'll head towards the insurance thread.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st August 2012 at 07:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks