Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 14:14   #5041
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Guys, Yesterday I noticed some weird MID display in the car.

The digital fuel gauge suddenly stopped showing my half tank mark, I was waiting 5 mins to show it. But it didn't happen till I switch off and on.

Also the engine clatter which was off for few thousand kms are back. Did any of you guys face similar issue?

Just to add I have done 35,500 kms.
Sudden increase in clatter - Could very well be Injector problems. Is there appreciable loss in power? Does the clatter occur only at certain RPMs?
Old 30th August 2012, 19:03   #5042
BHPian

fellow ventopians!

need help. I am deciding on putting door guard/strip on my blue wind. Has any co-shadow blue owner done the same? if yes, could you please post some pics. Other color pics are also welcome.
thanks for your help
Old 30th August 2012, 19:53   #5043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I to faced this issue once. The very next day of first service. Switched of the car, started again and the problem was gone. Not faced the engine clatter thing..
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
It happened with me once, but after a switch off and switch on it didnt happen again, guess its a core dump by the software
Didnt notice the engine clatter thing after that
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Mostly a software error. Restart the car everything back to normal, just like Microsoft Windows. Previously in my car, AC stopped cooling i.e. no cooling effect. Restarted the car and everything back to normal. Till now touchwood.
Yes, I agree with you guys. It's POR(Power On Reset) on the car helped to solve the snag

I wish it stays there in cosmetic level like MID displays and not going to engine level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Sudden increase in clatter - Could very well be Injector problems. Is there appreciable loss in power? Does the clatter occur only at certain RPMs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Check for fuel quality! Too much water in diesel? U can visit vw and see if there is water in the fuel filter
Just to make myself clear, the clattering I was talking is the morning one on cold start. After 10 mins of run it goes off. This started only early this week, before that it was not there for few months.

I spoke to my SA in VW PalaceCross, Blr. He agreed to check my car next week. Will update on this.
Old 30th August 2012, 20:40   #5044
BHPian

Quote:
door guard/strip
I have the typical sedan strips on mine:
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-ji.jpg

VW offers black ones, that might gel with the blue, you could try. Aftermarket ones in this color could be tough to source.
Old 30th August 2012, 20:52   #5045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH

I have the typical sedan strips on mine:

VW offers black ones, that might gel with the blue, you could try. Aftermarket ones in this color could be tough to source.
Where did you source these from? Cost?
Old 30th August 2012, 21:22   #5046
BHPian

Quote:
Where did you source these from? Cost?
These are abundantly available here in Del; the most common sedan strips, every acc shop has them.
Come on two types: plain and chromed center. I went for the latter.
I think if you go ask any shop to show you side strips, this is what they'd show you.
Costed 'bout 1000 IIRC 'bout 7-8 months back.
Old 31st August 2012, 09:02   #5047
BHPian

Fellow Vento owners:

I have a Vento TDI 2012 model (bought in Jun 2012). Car has done about 4K kms and i have been regularly checking the engine oil level. The oil level has certainly gone down and currently it is about 2-3 mms below the top dot on the dipstick. I am planning to top up oil in a weeks time. Is it advisable to get this top-up done at VW workshop or can i do it myself too? Haven't spoken to the SA yet but it is better to be prepared before i give him a call.

Secondly, a few weeks ago i had called the SA to ask about engine bay cleaning. He advised me not to splash any water in the engine bay since there are lot of electronics and something might get damaged. He further said that most of the German cars have this restriction. Somehow i have not been able to digest this . I have seen authorized service stations (Honda/Maruti) washing engine bay during regular services. In Gurgaon roads turn into mini-rivers during monsoons and without much protection under engine compartment water would anyway get splashed on the engine. Is it really true that VW does not recommend washing engine bay with water (using a normal water hose)?
Old 31st August 2012, 09:41   #5048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikas Arora
Fellow Vento owners:

I have a Vento TDI 2012 model (bought in Jun 2012). Car has done about 4K kms and i have been regularly checking the engine oil level. The oil level has certainly gone down and currently it is about 2-3 mms below the top dot on the dipstick. I am planning to top up oil in a weeks time. Is it advisable to get this top-up done at VW workshop or can i do it myself too? Haven't spoken to the SA yet but it is better to be prepared before i give him a call.
you can yourself do a top up of the engine oil. Don't worry the drop in engine oil levels will totally stop after 8k. I have done 40k on my Vento.

Why take the pains of washing the engine? Keep the hood closed, open it only when you get an alarm for low engine oil or low coolant. This tank is maintenance free! I never bothered about cleaning the engine bay, leave that to the service center, after all you are paying them for this peace of mind!!
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 10:33   #5049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikas Arora View Post
Secondly, a few weeks ago i had called the SA to ask about engine bay cleaning. He advised me not to splash any water in the engine bay since there are lot of electronics and something might get damaged. He further said that most of the German cars have this restriction. Somehow i have not been able to digest this . I have seen authorized service stations (Honda/Maruti) washing engine bay during regular services. In Gurgaon roads turn into mini-rivers during monsoons and without much protection under engine compartment water would anyway get splashed on the engine. Is it really true that VW does not recommend washing engine bay with water (using a normal water hose)?
Oil top-up can be done by you.

I haven't been advised by the workshop, still I always inform local/outside garages not to hose water in the engine bay; I prefer a air wash instead. Most of the garages have this and I always mention in advance to them to use it.

And as @shantanu correctly mentioned, the bay remains clear of the outside world quite effortlessly. I used to keep checking the bay for any water stagnation during the peak monsoon phases, the bay would always be bone dry!

On an aside note, let me play the role of @souravc and do the honors - how's the car treating you? That's a brand new car, I don't remember any posts from you on the same earlier. It's always nice to get inputs/feedback from new owners from time to time. And do try to put up a ownership thread if you get the time.

Quote:
Any update on Shadowfax? Every post of yours on this thread, I open expecting a pic of the renewed steed!
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 10:35   #5050
BHPian

Okey so there is a slight reduction in oil level (May be the 100ml every month is exaggerated figure).
Fellas when somebody is owning both Honda city and Vento(D) he is bound to compare between his two cars. He had bought Vento considering as a good car in Diesel. Anyways I will try to get the service break up and will let you guys know.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:14   #5051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Any update on Shadowfax? Every post of yours on this thread, I open expecting a pic of the renewed steed!
Thanks Ninja!
Even I am waiting for it eagerly to be back now. I visited the service center yesterday and the final painting works for the Bumpers were on, I am very happy with the tinkering and the welding jobs they did. The quality is top notch.

Shadowfax will be back by Tuesday or max by Thursday, will do a detailed Photoshoot and open a new thread for the resurrection of Shadowfax and my feedback on a big insurance claim
Old 31st August 2012, 11:18   #5052
BHPian

Quote:
Oil top-up can be done by you.
Quote:
you can yourself do a top up of the engine oil. Don't worry the drop in engine oil levels will totally stop after 8k. I have done 40k on my Vento.
Thanks Guys. Will do the top-up myself. I am sure VW workshop would have charged 2-3 times the normal cost for this top-up.

Quote:
On an aside note, let me play the role of @souravc and do the honors - how's the car treating you? That's a brand new car, I don't remember any posts from you on the same earlier. It's always nice to get inputs/feedback from new owners from time to time. And do try to put up a ownership thread if you get the time.
I am just loving it! Its a pleasure to drive this beast. Haven't got any opportunity to go on a long trip till now but i am trying my best to create one
My membership was approved about 3 weeks ago and still haven't found time to put up intro & ownership threads. Will try to put up soon and share the link on this thread.

Quote:

Why take the pains of washing the engine? Keep the hood closed, open it only when you get an alarm for low engine oil or low coolant. This tank is maintenance free! I never bothered about cleaning the engine bay, leave that to the service center, after all you are paying them for this peace of mind!!
Well my wife(she too is a bhp-ian)/friends have also asked me this question several times and i have failed to provide a technically convincing answer Its just that i like to see the engine bay shining too! Vento has a long service interval so i thought of cleaning it myself. I don't have to worry about my Honda since there i am forced to go for a service every 5K or 6months otherwise they will void the warranty.
Vikas Arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 11:22   #5053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Okey so there is a slight reduction in oil level (May be the 100ml every month is exaggerated figure).
Fellas when somebody is owning both Honda city and Vento(D) he is bound to compare between his two cars. He had bought Vento considering as a good car in Diesel. Anyways I will try to get the service break up and will let you guys know.
Of course he has every right to compare. We all keep doing it. But just that the parameters he was comparing are so incomplete, the end result would be of no use, hence my comment on that.

Anyway, do post if he needs any inputs - we would chip in if possible.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:24   #5054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Well I still believe that Vento is a good diesel car. As far as the Service cost is concerned, I know a Honda City owner who has to shell out approximately 7K every service of Honda, plus the services are prescribed at 5K intervals, as compared to Vento the service is at 15K intervals, the difference in the cost of petrol and Diesel in india is approximately 30 Rs, Well I dont think that taking all these factors in mind your Vento is costing you more than the Honda City, now if your daily mileage / Yearly mileage on the vento is low and you are not able to cover the cost difference between the Petrol and Diesel then I guess my friend, you should have bought a Petrol car in that case....
Old 31st August 2012, 12:00   #5055
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Let me put on my Vento fanboy hat for just a minute here...important to point out here that there are a handful of Vento petrol owners on the forums (self incuded) and at the time of buying, most of us ended up paying less than the comparable spec of Honda City. The price reduction from Honda happened only later.

So even us Vento petrol owners have spent less than City guys . My car is at 28,800 km and all I have spent is one paid service @8,000/- odd.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks