Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 13:47   #5416

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Your Running is borderline in my opinion.
==============
VW is working to get the service support right and i sincerely hope that they do. But in the meantime if you don't want to take a gamble simply close your eyes and go with the Honda
Ok, so dad has completely ruled petrol out! Diesel is the choice for him now meaning the Honda City is no more a choice.

The only thing keeping me from walking into the VW showroom right now and booking the car is after-sales! If I can actually get a clear picture regarding the same with no complaints or reasons to worry in the long-run, I will tell my father to book the Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
It costs 11.1L OTR here in Chennai w/o the Navigation kit.With the kit it comes upto 11.3L.Even accounting for the higher road tax in KA,there shouldn't be a difference of 70-90k depending on whether the quote you got included the kit or not!!
Well, the prices were including the kit for both cars. For that matter, the SA actually is giving us the kit for free! He reduced Rs.28550/- from the price so I guess it can be said that this is the discount that he's giving us.

Quote:
VW spares generally are on the higher side.But I don't know about the service costs and spares of the petrol variants.Check out Noopster's or Josclix's ownership reports for the info.
Went to the showroom today to find out about servicing costs and everything. The chap told me that the diesel's service will come up to Rs.10800/- while the petrol will be around Rs.8500/-. This is excluding wheel alignment and balancing.
Spares, yes, they are a bit higher. However, dad didn't complain much about it actually. We have an Opel Corsa so we are used to it.

Quote:
Them MPI unit is already being phased out worldwide and should start in India soon!!Spare parts availability COULD be a problem in the longer run.You might have to wait longer for critical parts.
I'm really grateful to you for having mentioned this. Dad immediately chucked the petrol Vento. He's decided to go for a diesel, hands down.

The blokes from Hyundai came by a little while ago with their final offer for the Verna. Petrol apparently has many offers but the diesel, NONE. Rs.12.04L was the final offer for the diesel Verna SX. Dad asked him to somehow reduce the price and contact him tomorrow. No clue if anything will fall through.

Also, I spoke to the other Vento owner in the area. He has a diesel and didn't exactly have many complaints. He criticized the transmission tunnel but surprisingly, said the ground clearance was not enough. He's brushed the under belly quite a few times!
And when asked about servicing, he mentioned that he had given it in Bangalore at Volkswagen Downtown. I already knew what he was going to say after he said that. He started and went on and on about the dealership and was highly unsatisfied! Sadly, he couldn't comment on the Mysore dealership because he is yet to give the car there.

It's basically Vento vs Verna now. If only VW had Hyundai's good name regarding A-S-S. The decision would've been so much more easier!
Old 28th November 2012, 14:11   #5417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Them MPI unit is already being phased out worldwide and should start in India soon!!Spare parts availability COULD be a problem in the longer run.You might have to wait longer for critical parts.
This is mere speculation, VW has announced development of models for 'price sensitive' emerging markets which will not be the same as sold globally. In this context MPI will continue to stay for longer than you anticipate!

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th November 2012 at 14:19.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 14:54   #5418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashv View Post
Yes, UC 16 oz will cost you around Rs 1495 + Shipping from BBIMPEX but you will get UP 16oz for Rs 750 + Shipping from vicky.in.

I believe 3M will also use Compound, Polish and sealant and it might be complete package for whole car which will cost you around 3k - 5k
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Are you sure of the prices? The only place I've seen UC is on Vicky.in and its much more expensive thah that (@3900)

I have Meguiars Ultimate Polish and Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax at home. Does it make sense to try them if they can lessen the scars or get rid of them? I have not yet tried anything for fear of exacerbating them.
Meguiars Ultimate Compound costs Rs. 950 with shipping last I checked with Ultimate Detailerz Banglore, price for team-bhp members in Sept'12.

Joslicx get UC from Ultimate Detailerz and also an applicator pad to get rid of those scratches. If you let more of these to pile over, Vento wouldn't look good at all.

As rashv suggested, 3M would be expensive and easily cost upwards of Rs. 3000 for basic jobs. Since you are having ultimate polish & quick wax, which you could use after using UC on the scratch and the ding would most probably disappear to much extent.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 14:57   #5419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Are you sure of the prices? The only place I've seen UC is on Vicky.in and its much more expensive thah that (@3900)

http://www.vicky.in/shopping/meguiar...=ASC&limit=100

I have Meguiars Ultimate Polish and Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax at home. Does it make sense to try them if they can lessen the scars or get rid of them? I have not yet tried anything for fear of exacerbating them.
The price showing in vicky.in is for Diamond Cut Compound and they used UC picture. You can check with Sanjay BBimpex for the latest price.

http://bringingbest.in/index.php?rou...&product_id=84

Meguiars Ultimate Polish is a finishing Polish it will gloss the paint and good for removing only light swirls. I have seen the picture you uploaded and the scratch went up to Primer Coat. So you need a Compound to hide that scratch.

Normally abrasive compound will leave marring to the Paint but UC will not leave that much. Since you already have UP you can use UC, UP, then Wax. If you are planning to work by hand I suggest Orange CSS Foam Applicator for UC

http://www.bringingbest.com/Applicators_and_Pad_II.html

Regards,

rashv
rashv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 15:01   #5420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_t View Post
Ok, so dad has completely ruled petrol out! Diesel is the choice for him now meaning the Honda City is no more a choice.

It's basically Vento vs Verna now. If only VW had Hyundai's good name regarding A-S-S. The decision would've been so much more easier!
What you need to understand is that every brand can and will have bad dealers. You need to do your analysis and figure out if there is one good/decent dealer with respect to the brand of car you are deciding. VW will have that problem, so will Hyundai; and other brands.

Spend some time today, search on this forum in the dealer section. On the outright I can tell VW Downtown doesn't have a good name in Bangalore. But there seems to be the other dealer who still has a good name - Bangalore junta would be the better people to confirm that.

As for Verna vs Vento, there are very different cars. I would ask you and your father to give both the cars a good td before you make the final decision. Both are fantastic cars, and have their own pros/cons.

Quote:
The "longer run" could very well turn out to be 10 years from now.

There is a difference between giving one's opinion and giving advice to another. Lets stick to the former unless we have any concrete proof of the same.

- There is no concrete data available in the public domain of the MPI engine being phased out in India in the next few years.

- Even if it does get phased out in 3-4 years, there is no way we can confirm that spare parts will not be available. Anyway majority of the parts would be same for the Vento tdi which assuming you have just booked, should be available in the "longer run".

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th November 2012 at 15:08.
Old 28th November 2012, 16:36   #5421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_t View Post
The only thing keeping me from walking into the VW showroom right now and booking the car is after-sales! If I can actually get a clear picture regarding the same with no complaints or reasons to worry in the long-run, I will tell my father to book the Vento.

Well, the prices were including the kit for both cars. For that matter, the SA actually is giving us the kit for free! He reduced Rs.28550/- from the price so I guess it can be said that this is the discount that he's giving us.
After reading your post & queries, diesel suits better. I was in the same boat in Dec'10 when we booked Vento TDi HL over City V model. After driving various car, the feel which a Germans give can never be matched by Korean or Japs easily(in direct comparison to Vento).

My car has done about 8500 Kms in 1.5 yrs and its still starts with just one crank even if its been idle for 2 weeks. Your dad will also start liking the car after few kms and the 250NM torque will get addictive.

Of course after sales too are important but I have got my car serviced once and its been satisfactory. My other car is Ford and I would rate its after sales a bit below VW. Every dealer & workshop is different, you may have bad experience with one but it doesn't mean others are bad too.

Mysore-Banglore aren't that far, you could try different workshops as well plus you have many Vento bhpains in Banglore who are always there for help.

The offer by SA is good, considering no dealers for other manufacturers are giving discount as diesels sell like hot cakes, but try extracting as much discount. Get insurance quote from outside and you did be surprised how much dealers are overcharging. My Vento's current insurance zero dep from BhartiAxa is for 20500 only, not bad at all with 20% NCB included.

Other thing, Vento will be a rare car, since there are too many Verna's & City's in the market. A bit niche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
- Even if it does get phased out in 3-4 years, there is no way we can confirm that spare parts will not be available. Anyway majority of the parts would be same for the Vento tdi which assuming you have just booked, should be available in the "longer run".
1.6 MPi will be discontinued from 2014-15 when new Polo Mk6 comes out. Since VW India imports engine from Germany(TDi atleast) and due to Euro norms to reduce pollution they will ofcourse drop it in favur of 1.2 or 1.4 TSi. Smaller engine capacity means light weight, more economy & less duty.

I don't think 1.6 MPi and TDi share engine parts, both of them are very different. Not even a oil/air filter are same which is the most basic.
Old 28th November 2012, 16:54   #5422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

I don't think 1.6 MPi and TDi share engine parts, both of them are very different. Not even a oil/air filter are same which is the most basic.
There is more to a car than an engine. When it comes to spare parts, engine is the least of that part that would want replacing on a global percentage basis. I didn't think I would have had to explain my original point

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th November 2012 at 16:55.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 17:15   #5423

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
What you need to understand is that every brand can and will have bad dealers. You need to do your analysis and figure out if there is one good/decent dealer with respect to the brand of car you are deciding. VW will have that problem, so will Hyundai; and other brands.
Yes, I do agree with you on that and am hoping that the VW dealer here is actually a good one with no troubles, complaints or anything.

Quote:
As for Verna vs Vento, there are very different cars. I would ask you and your father to give both the cars a good td before you make the final decision. Both are fantastic cars, and have their own pros/cons.
I have tested both the cars already. I took note of both the cars when I was considering all the important aspects that we needed. In the end, the Vento edges out over the Verna because it just feels so much more special! The Verna does not make me happy even when I just look at it but the Vento does. Same thing applies for dad! The Vento is just the absolute choice for us.

Quote:
After reading your post & queries, diesel suits better. I was in the same boat in Dec'10 when we booked Vento TDi HL over City V model. After driving various car, the feel which a Germans give can never be matched by Korean or Japs easily(in direct comparison to Vento).
EXACTLY! That special feeling that you get is incomparable! It makes you want to buy the car then and there itself.

Quote:
Of course after sales too are important but I have got my car serviced once and its been satisfactory. My other car is Ford and I would rate its after sales a bit below VW. Every dealer & workshop is different, you may have bad experience with one but it doesn't mean others are bad too.

Mysore-Banglore aren't that far, you could try different workshops as well plus you have many Vento bhpains in Banglore who are always there for help.
Honestly, it doesn't seem like the workshop here has a bad name because I haven't heard of any complaints from other people. And as you mentioned, I, too, thought about Bangalore as the second choice for service. Need to mention that to dad.

Quote:
The offer by SA is good, considering no dealers for other manufacturers are giving discount as diesels sell like hot cakes, but try extracting as much discount. Get insurance quote from outside and you did be surprised how much dealers are overcharging. My Vento's current insurance zero dep from BhartiAxa is for 20500 only, not bad at all with 20% NCB included.
Yup, I'm planning to try and get the basic accessories for free. I'm sure that they can at least work that out. And my father has already asked insurance companies and got their quotes. Some are fantastic and maybe even a little bit better than what VW themselves offered. Would've mentioned it but I stay away from this kind of work.

Quote:
Other thing, Vento will be a rare car, since there are too many Verna's & City's in the market. A bit niche.
Will definitely agree with you on this one! Also, my father liked the colour Terra Biege and I HAVEN'T seen one car in Mysore sporting that colour!
Old 28th November 2012, 21:26   #5424
BHPian

Just saw the new black headlamp vento! The things changed in the interiors

1. A sexy new gearshift lever! Borrowed from jetta! - I WANT IT
2. Red ring lit lighter
3. Ash tray

I want the new gear shift lever! It's awesome
Old 28th November 2012, 22:52   #5425
Senior - BHPian

Some positive news about Volkswagen, for a change

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...ibution/14917/
Old 29th November 2012, 12:43   #5426
BHPian

Quote:

My car has done about 8500 Kms in 1.5 yrs and its still starts with just one crank even if its been idle for 2 weeks. Your dad will also start liking the car after few kms and the 250NM torque will get addictive.

So what youre trying to say is that Volkswagen cars are more reliable than Japs and Koreans? How many Japanase cars you know that wont start in just one crank? In fact Volkswagen and other European cars are less reliable than the Japs.

I own a Polo 1.2 Tdi myself but i strongly disagree with this point.
Old 29th November 2012, 16:28   #5427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvBhadwar View Post
So what youre trying to say is that Volkswagen cars are more reliable than Japs and Koreans? How many Japanase cars you know that wont start in just one crank? In fact Volkswagen and other European cars are less reliable than the Japs.
I read el lobo's post a few times and couldnt pin point as to where was he referring that Japanese cars are more reliable than German cars. All he said was that the feel of german cars can never be matched by japanese cars in build quality and driving pleasure which is true.

All he said was that his Vento even after 2 months starts with a single crank, not that Honda city or Toyota Corollas fail to start and this is something special which only a Vento can do.

Every one has his point of view, if he finds it reliable that his car starts fine after 2 months and its a good thing, that doesnt mean he thinks all others cant.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 20:16   #5428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvBhadwar View Post

I own a Polo 1.2 Tdi myself but i strongly disagree with this point.
I never said that Japs or Korean are unreliable. You can read through all my post and I haven't said anything like it.

I once was a Honda City fan boy, no jokes. Sheer reliability and snob value and as I said earlier I was either looking at Honda City V or VW Vento TDi HL at the time of purchase.

Earlier people has a notion that diesel need to be driven daily whereas petrol driven sparingly have no problem. My car is used very less and still it works like a charm without any hiccups. German cars are also reliable, at least mine, touch wood.

What happened with your 1.2 TDi which doesn't make you believe in your car?

Lastly, one of society resident bought a latest City and he appreciates my Vento more and says door really feel heavy and quality inside & out is better and even went to say, his car wiper arms feel light weight compared to the one on my Vento. He has got a change of heart to Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I read el lobo's post a few times and couldnt pin point as to where was he referring that Japanese cars are more reliable than German cars. All he said was that the feel of german cars can never be matched by japanese cars in build quality and driving pleasure which is true.
Thanks for keeping by back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
All he said was that his Vento even after 2 months starts with a single crank, not that Honda city or Toyota Corollas fail to start and this is something special which only a Vento can do.
I once kept my car idle for 1 month while we were out of town, 2 months is a long shot, 2 weeks is what I mentioned. But still my Vento never disappoints and best part no need to top of battery water, since its gel based(thats what workshop mechanic said IIRC).
Old 30th November 2012, 15:31   #5429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Got the Vento Price List & Brochure From a Vento Stall in a local Market.
Attachment 1015869
A few weird things that i found
- The HL models cannot be bought without the Reverse Camera
- While the brochure clearly states that the Metallic Colors are available only on the HL , the pricelist states that these colors are indeed available albeit, at a premium of Rs 10k over the non Metallic Colors
I am slightly confused with the above price list. Does MY 13 mean that the prices shown here are for 2013 manufacturing car . The prices seem to be much hogher than current prices ( for eg: TDI H/L is under 10L ex showroom today in Hyderabad)
Old 30th November 2012, 18:14   #5430
Senior - BHPian

Fellow VW owners around NCR, how about a trip to Buddh Circuit to watch Polo R Cup car?

Came across the following post by VW on their Facebook page, so though of sharing.

Quote:
Weekend plans? Undecided?

Then we’ve got just the thing for you. The Volkswagen Polo R cup - this weekend at the Buddh International Circuit.

Contact your nearest Volkswagen dealership to collect your free entry pass.

Dates:
1st Dec'2012 - Saturday - 10am to 3.30pm!
2nd Dec'2012 - Sunday - 9.30am to 4pm!

Source:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks