Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 12:18   #541
ajai_dev

@Aseem, Amm i have not heard of Suzuki Splash aka Ritz being re-bagged as a VW all i have heard of is the Opel or Vauxhall Agila. The recent tie up of VW and Suzuki was more of stock based than product based.

VW said that their products will not compete with Suzuki's but will be assets to each other.

EDIT: Found link to tie up with details

"“In terms of product portfolio, global distribution and manufacturing capacities, Volkswagen and Suzuki ideally complement each other.”"

Volkswagen - Volkswagen and Suzuki team up | GoAuto

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th September 2010 at 12:24. Reason: Removing unformatted quoted text.

Old 8th September 2010, 13:32   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was specifically talking about door panels quality being down market. Just an observation. The thing is anhc borrows quite a few bits from its elder siblings like its ac vents, steering and seats, In shape and form. Apart from the cheap central console the overall dash, cabin and exteriors capture the aspirational value of a poor mans big car.

The vento on the other hand borrows bits from polo its younger sibling. The steering of jetta family is different, the door panels are hard plastics and relatively cheap looking. It has a smaller footpeint compared to anhc, the rear seat comfort and leg room is not ergonomic thanks for extending the ehaust tunnel of polo that acts as an eye sore.
Well, you bought me to my fav topic. ANHC interiors.

I think that some interior bits of ANHC are downright 'cheap'.Look, feel..everything! Pre facelifted (before they turned to beige) had plastic quality and colour which made it look like a Tata (well not quite; but quite close). Even after the improvements, plastic quality is only average (with some bits like central console being 'POOR'). I have always said, that the best interiors in a sub 10 lakh HONDA is Jazz. it has better than City interiors in each and every aspect. the surfaces of materials used give Civicish feel in the Jazz but not in City.

I am not saying that the City interiors are bad, but they are over rated. the fit and finish and consistency is top class.

The only grouse I have with Vento's inreriors is that it is bland in design and does not have a soft touch feel to it (no Jetta/Laura like surfaces here). At no point though. it looks cheap to either touch or feel (I have sat in the car).

Quote:
ACI chose City over Vento (petrol) even with the hefty price difference
In all their comparos, City wins (HONDA to be precise). Well. I myself may be tempted to go ANHC way if for petrol (primarily due o the engine), but let's call a spade:a spade! Hell. if I want a petrol sedan, I'll buy a used CIVIC.

Despite being fuelled by different fuels, the real competetion will be between HONDA City iVTEC V/S VW VENTI TDI Highline. Reason? : They fall in the same price bracket. Usually, buyers go to the market with a fixed price band, and they pick the car that best fits to their budget.

Last edited by n_aditya : 8th September 2010 at 13:48. Reason: merged posts
Old 8th September 2010, 13:37   #543
Senior - BHPian

Real competition: Unlike

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by n_aditya : 8th September 2010 at 13:49.
Old 8th September 2010, 13:51   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Despite being fuelled by different fuels, the real competetion will be between HONDA City iVTEC V/S VW VENTI TDI Highline. Reason? : They fall in the same price bracket. Usually, buyers go to the market with a fixed price band, and they pick the car that best fits to their budget.
+1 to that.

When I was on the hunt for a 10L sedan (preferably Diesel), I had a choice of Linea Emotion pk, Hyundai Verna, ANHC and later on Vento TDI highline.

Considering various pros and cons, I chose Vento TDI highline.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:51   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Well, you bought me to my fav topic. ANHC interiors.

I think that some interior bits of ANHC are downright 'cheap'.Look, feel..everything! Pre facelifted (before they turned to beige) had plastic quality and colour which made it look like a Tata (well not quite; but quite close). Even after the improvements, plastic quality is only average (with some bits like central console being 'POOR'). I have
always said, that the best interiors in a sub 10 lakh HONDA is Jazz. it has better than City interiors in each and every aspect. the surfaces of materials used give Civicish feel in the Jazz but not in City.

I am not saying that the City interiors are bad, but they are over rated. the fit and finish and consistency is top class.

The only grouse I have with Vento's inreriors is that it is bland in design and does not have a soft touch feel to it (no Jetta/Laura like surfaces here). At no point though. it looks cheap to either touch or feel (I have sat in the car).

In all their comparos, City wins (HONDA to be precise). Well. I myself may be tempted to go ANHC way if for petrol (primarily due o the engine), but let's call a spade:a spade! Hell. if I want a petrol sedan, I'll buy a used CIVIC.

Whilst I agree with most of what u said, but anhc makes a compelling case for itself over used Civic...

1. Used cars one can never be sure how reliable they wud turn out to be

2. New is new and will last longer

3. Anhc has a smaller footprint than Civic crucial for our small roads/tight parking

4. Anhc gives more mileage than Civic

5. For norma. Driving conditions apart from interiors nearly equals its elder brother in all depats

p.s. Mods am on tbhp mobile sorry for typos
Old 8th September 2010, 15:32   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Used cars one can never be sure how reliable they wud turn out to be

2. New is new and will last longer

3. Anhc has a smaller footprint than Civic crucial for our small roads/tight parking

4. Anhc gives more mileage than Civic

5. For norma. Driving conditions apart from interiors nearly equals its elder brother in all depats
I will have to say that it's my turn now to agree with most of what you have said. I may prefer a used CIVIC (@6.5-7L or so) over a new ANHC, but that only my personal choice. To most of the buyers, what you say make complete sense.

I though strongly believe that the Vento interiors are better that of ANHC in almost every way (everything that relates to quality), the ANHC interiors score in design over the Vento. In fact, the fact that both Jazz and NHC has better interiors (in quality- say plastics used or robustness etc), is point enough to qualify the ANHC interiors are quite average.

I also believe, we in India tend to give honda cars a lil bit extra leverage compared to other brands coz we love HONDAS

As a package, Vento TDI Highline makes very very very strong case for itself! ANHC has real competition for the first time since its launch This will be an epic battle for sure

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 8th September 2010 at 15:33.
Old 8th September 2010, 17:24   #547
BANNED

Coming back to just Vento discussions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrack View Post
The interior quality is truly marvellous, which as of now is imported. Will have to wait & watch if it retains the same premium feel when they localise it.
I too loved the interiors!
How do you know whats not "made in India"?

Quote:
The headlights are just pathetic, dunno why nobody has pointed this out.
What exactly is the problem with the headlights?
Old 8th September 2010, 17:50   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptimanraje View Post
I had opted for the candy white. the dealer did inform me while booking that the beige & blue will be available from Jan 11 onwards. all the other colours are available.
Hey Diptiman, eagerly waiting for your report. pls share your dealer and initial ownership experience.
Old 9th September 2010, 09:34   #549
BANNED

Checked out the car at Hyd last night. Some observations:

- Dash is a bit high even after I adjusted the seat height to maximum. Shouldn't really be a concern since it's just a matter of getting used to.

- Plastics, fit and finish is very good. The door panels are a tad lower grade compared to the rest of the plastics used.

- Separate reading lights at the rear and boot lamp are very useful

- Didn't feel the solid build when I closed the doors (it's a thunk, no thud) and also when I closed the boot lid. Boot lid seemed very light and you have to push it down with some force to lock it in. Do the others in the segment feel heavy or they are similar?

- Ample leg room

- Music system: don't know why I felt the overall sound quality was a bit better than polo. Has it got to do with the placement of speakers (doors vs. behind)? For the first time I felt I can live with this. But need to check this again to be sure.

For a change, I saw sales people at Hyd doing a tough job trying to sell the vehicle to another customer. Hopefully, the change is for good and the indifference is on the way out.
Old 9th September 2010, 10:44   #550
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai_dev View Post
The rear leg space is to my surprise as much as either Laura, Linea or Cruze "I am surprised because vento is 4384mm in length"
You can say that again. Effective interior space management has never been a stronghold of the Germans, but the Vento is surprisingly well packaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrack View Post
The interior quality is truly marvellous, which as of now is imported.
The Vento is already at the 60% localisation level, the Polo more so. I do not think interior plastics are imported.

Quote:
Class leading diesel performance & is very good, the turbo lag is expected.
Actually, the Vento has minimal turbolag. It's there, but lesser than all competitors.
Old 9th September 2010, 13:13   #551
BHPian

Vento is gradually growing on me. I am looking for an upgrade of my car it had to be a diesel sedan. I was looking at linea and verna and now Vento has blown them over.

Only cruze is left but that is not in this segment at all and the turbo lag is a big dampner there.
Old 9th September 2010, 13:21   #552
BANNED

Regarding localization of parts I have few doubts:

1. Do any T-Bhpians here know about what all parts are imported? I want to know this as there are chances of that part being downgraded when made in India.

2. Who is the right person who can give details of localization?
Old 9th September 2010, 14:00   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget.fr View Post
Checked out the car at Hyd last night.
Do they have TD car available? Any idea about delivery time for Diesel Highline.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:16   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget.fr View Post
Checked out the car at Hyd last night. Some observations:

- Music system: don't know why I felt the overall sound quality was a bit better than polo. Has it got to do with the placement of speakers (doors vs. behind)? For the first time I felt I can live with this. But need to check this again to be sure.
Where are the speakers fitted? Doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Regarding localization of parts I have few doubts:

1. Do any T-Bhpians here know about what all parts are imported? I want to know this as there are chances of that part being downgraded when made in India.

2. Who is the right person who can give details of localization?
Made in India and hence downgraded? I doubt so; Toyota for eg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Do they have TD car available? Any idea about delivery time for Diesel Highline.
Saw couple (3-4) for delivery here at Trivandrum today.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:29   #555
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Where are the speakers fitted? Doors?
No speakers behind the rear seat.

Quote:
Made in India and hence downgraded? I doubt so; Toyota for eg.
Toyota cars are not priced like the Linea and Vento which are supposedly sold at 'cheap' rates in India, which leads to cost cutting.

Most Viewed