Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2013, 16:20   #5611
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
During yesterdays visit to the VW showroom, the sales guy mentioned that the 2013 vento will have a different set of alloys and some new features. This is an upgrade over the refresh version. Anybody has more details ?

Boss, my Dec 2012 vento is a DT model (meaning 2013 model) but it does not have bluetooth in the RCD 310 music system.

Though , I dont care for it much as I find bluetooth integration a big nuisance while driving specially if u have other people in the car .
Old 16th January 2013, 19:28   #5612
BHPian

Called up two VW showrooms, both have no clue about the bluetooth integration and Feb model.
Old 16th January 2013, 21:41   #5613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
Planning for a short honeymoon with the Vento during the Sankranti holidays next week. Will post once back.
Hello Friends , I am back from my much awaited spin with the new Silver Bullet and was dying to post the first long drive experiences with the car:

1. The looks( refer pic below) :

She is definitely a looker from the front. Those blackened headlights, the no nonsense facia , the straight grill, and finally the large Logo - OMG , i am falling in love everyday !

2. Road Noise We went to the Jungle Lodge's blackbuck resort near Bidar ( around 300km to and fro from Hyd). The roads were mostly good albeit without a divider.Even though the surface was not riddled with pot holes, it was not very smooth also. Though Engine noise was not filtering in , the road noise filtering inside the cabin was pretty loud.

3. Engine (Turbo ) Noise :Whenever the turbo kicked in , there was a audible "ghrrrr" from Engine which made my friend comment that it is sounding like a "Tractor" He said he was prepared for a truck but not a tractor
The Vento brochure talks about the new RCD 310 music sustem as "volume adjusting" Alas , the only volume it adjusts is dimming when the car backs ! Why could they not give a ambient noise adjusting system like the Cruze

4. Climatronic AC : Not much for a test for the AC in winter, but it cooled car within 3-5 minutes in Auto mode after standing in mid afternoon sun for half an hour. However, the blower was running on 4 and 5 levels to bring the temperature down to 23 degrees from a 32 degree outside temperature. The blower sound was quite audible

5. Handling : Ventos woes end thankfully at the Noise insulation levels only.The handling and ride is superb. The steering feels extremely accurate ( compared to this my i20 steering is a toy) .There is a solid feel to the new black leather wrapped steering, it has just the right amount of rigidity and flexibility at high and low speeds respectively. Overall the car gave a very confidence inspiring "planted" feel. For reaching the resort, we had to go through "kaccha" roads full of undulations in the last leg and the car simply gobbled those ups and downs for breakfast!

6. Overtaking : The 5th gear of Vento is simply a wonder. It can gandle any speeds from 40Kmph to 140 kmph( did not try more)Overtaking , at 5 gear is a breeze and there is no need to downshift as with most petrol cars. Of course, the coarse "tractor like" sound greets you everytime you push the pedal for a sudden acceleration but the torque it creates is addictive. I have even started to liking the tractor effect

7. And Finally : Kitni Deti Hai ? AN AMAZING 21.7 Kmpl while going and an equally good 18.9 Kmpl on returning as per the odo. I am waiting for my tank to empty to actually check the average milage (Somehow I would trust these numbers only after I check)

So, friends , the love story continues with the silver bullet. Would like help in selecting a good set of mats- read a lot of posts on KAGU 3D mats here. Saw a duplicate make of 3D ( 5000/- ?) Maker was not Kagu but Star from taiwan.did not like it much. 3M had choir type "imported" mats costing 4700/- at 3M dealer in Madhapur. Hows it?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-_mg_8359.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th January 2013 at 22:25. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please. Please read the rules before posting
saaicon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 21:47   #5614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
Called up two VW showrooms, both have no clue about the bluetooth integration and Feb model.
I think it may not be a big issue and may not require harware addition as the 2013 models already have a dummy phone button on the centr of the steering mounted controls.It might be a software addition to the existing system but I am not sure on this.
Old 16th January 2013, 22:13   #5615
Distinguished - BHPian

A new initiative by VW - the "Fast Start" brand campaign for the Polo/Vento, which was kickstarted from 10th January, 2013. It's being highlighted through the print media and TV commercials for both cars.

New ad for the Vento (The Vento. Added Features. Added Value.) :-

This is in addition to the Lucky 13 contest (started from January 13th) where you could win yourself a free Polo/Vento by booking a Test Drive of either car in the 13th minute of every hour. This offer is valid till February 13th, 2012.

http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/shopp...est_drive.html

Last edited by RavenAvi : 16th January 2013 at 22:16.
Old 16th January 2013, 22:29   #5616
BHPian

A big, warm hello to all BHPians and fellow Vento owners. I have been an avid reader of Team-BHP for the past two years. My membership to this wonderful forum was approved last week.

I own a VW Vento TDI (2012 re-freshed model) purchased in feb 2012. Its a dec 2011 manufactured car, has all the features of the refreshed model except for leatherette seats. The absolutely wonderful review by GTO and the crisp and unbiased ownership reviews and opinions by ninjatalli, souravc, bala, el lobo (to name a few) were instrumental in my decision making process. Thank you all! I am completely in awe of this car. Its a treat to drive!

The car was purchased from VW Downtown (Elite Motors), Bangalore.
Its due for its first service and have booked a slot with VW Downtown for the 19th of feb. Their service station is located on hosur road.
I request fellow Vento owners and gurus to help me on the following few points -

1) Has anyone got their Vento serviced from this particular dealer/service station? How was the experience?

2) I have been facing a very peculiar problem - whenever i press the clutch pedal, i can hear a peculiar sound filtering into the car cabin ( a 'gad-gad-gad-gad' sound.) The moment i release the clutch pedal the sound goes away. even during normal driving,

Whenever i press the clutch to change gears, i can clearly hear the sound (specially with the windows rolled up) and the moment i release the clutch after changing the gear the sound goes away. Has anyone experienced anything similar? what can be the problem and solution? do i need to change the clutch hose? I am very worried about this because my brother-in-law bought a Vento tdi last month and I could not hear this 'gad-gad' sound however hard i tried in his car.

3) Whenever the clutch pedal is released, i can hear a metallic 'clang' sound from the engine bay as though the clutch is engaging wit a 'bang'! Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
ASVA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 09:35   #5617
BHPian

Quote:

The Vento brochure talks about the new RCD 310 music sustem as "volume adjusting" Alas , the only volume it adjusts is dimming when the car backs ! Why could they not give a ambient noise adjusting system like the Cruze

4. Climatronic AC : Not much for a test for the AC in winter, but it cooled car within 3-5 minutes in Auto mode after standing in mid afternoon sun for half an hour. However, the blower was running on 4 and 5 levels to bring the temperature down to 23 degrees from a 32 degree outside temperature. The blower sound was quite audible

So, friends , the love story continues with the silver bullet. Would like help in selecting a good set of mats- read a lot of posts on KAGU 3D mats here. Saw a duplicate make of 3D ( 5000/- ?) Maker was not Kagu but Star from taiwan.did not like it much. 3M had choir type "imported" mats costing 4700/- at 3M dealer in Madhapur. Hows it?
1. The vento has a speed adaptive volume control, which enhances the volume as one goes faster. Same as the cruze. Their is nothing called ambient sound system in either the cruze or any other indian car. All the cars base their logic on the speed to cancel the road/wind noise as one goes faster. You can control the effect of the same by going to setup and scroll till you reach "Gala" on your RCD310. To get maximum effect which is noticeable keep the setting on max (7).

2. For very hot condition, you should use the circulation mode after you select auto on your ac. Also roll down the window for 10-15 sec to let out the hot air

3. I am using a duplicate 3D mat called 4D it's half the cost and works as well. Costed me around 2600 from torque in indranagar

Happy miles
Old 17th January 2013, 14:15   #5618
BHPian

Quote:
2. Road Noise We went to the Jungle Lodge's blackbuck resort near Bidar ( around 300km to and fro from Hyd). The roads were mostly good albeit without a divider.Even though the surface was not riddled with pot holes, it was not very smooth also. Though Engine noise was not filtering in , the road noise filtering inside the cabin was pretty loud.
In Sunny, you'll be hearing much more road noise than this. This is my experience during my test drive of both the vehicles.

Quote:
3. Engine (Turbo ) Noise :Whenever the turbo kicked in , there was a audible "ghrrrr" from Engine which made my friend comment that it is sounding like a "Tractor" He said he was prepared for a truck but not a tractor
Is that so? I do not hear that much of engine noise. Probably I started liking a bit of that harsh noise. :-)

Quote:

I have another problem. Automatically it gets almost muted.

Quote:

Yes, I too felt the same about the blower. However it takes time to cool the cabin.

Quote:
7. And Finally : Kitni Deti Hai ? AN AMAZING 21.7 Kmpl while going and an equally good 18.9 Kmpl on returning as per the odo. I am waiting for my tank to empty to actually check the average milage (Somehow I would trust these numbers only after I check)
My console reports 18-20 kmpl for my office commute, which has fair traffic though not bumper to bumper. I am also waiting for my tank to empty to verify those numbers. Anybody in this forum checked this and confirmed that the gadget is actually speaking the truth?

Quote:
I think it may not be a big issue and may not require harware addition as the 2013 models already have a dummy phone button on the centr of the steering mounted controls.It might be a software addition to the existing system but I am not sure on this.
If this is true, I would be happy.
It may be a nuisance when others are in the car, but would be a boon on your drive to office, when you may be alone. Also, by bluetooth, I would like to have the songs in my mobile phone play thru the music system. Unless and until the music system gets bluetooth, this will not be possible.

Last edited by Crank : 17th January 2013 at 14:25. Reason: Add response to other post to avoid multiple responses
Crank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 16:00   #5619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Also, by bluetooth, I would like to have the songs in my mobile phone play thru the music system. Unless and until the music system gets bluetooth, this will not be possible.

If u have a regular smartphone u can use a usb to 3.5mm jack to connect phone with the rcd310.Of course, u will not be able to control stereo thru the system or steering controls . It is available both in Amazon and Ebay US site :

http://www.ebay.in/itm/BestDealUSA-U...item565116b6ea

If u have a iphone or ipod , similar integration was available on ebay a few months back. This forum has mention of it . Check out posts by Newton meter or Ninjatalli on pages 312 in same forum. Not sure of level of integration though and whether u can control ipod through the steering controls.

Hope this helps.
saaicon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 17:40   #5620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Also, by bluetooth, I would like to have the songs in my mobile phone play thru the music system. Unless and until the music system gets bluetooth, this will not be possible.
Even without bluetooth, both Android & Apple phones work with the RCD 310. Of course, the Apple instruments (Iphones/Ipods/etc) need the additional cable - available online on ebay (different from the product link shared by @saaicon).

The Android doesn't need any additional cable, just connect your mobile's USB cable to the car's usb cable and it'll work.

In both cases, the steering controls work fine for controlling the music. Also w.r.t to the Android phone, you can use all the phone features while the music runs in the background (if needed)
Old 17th January 2013, 18:34   #5621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The Android doesn't need any additional cable, just connect your mobile's USB cable to the car's usb cable and it'll work.
Thanks Ninja. However, not sure what u mean by Android phone will work without any cable.

1.Android phone has 2 external posrts- on mini usb port for charging or data transfer and a 3.5mm port (female) for music output.

2. How can u connect mobiles USB cable with car USB cable ? Can u elucidate .
Old 18th January 2013, 10:19   #5622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Ninja. However, not sure what u mean by Android phone will work without any cable.

1.Android phone has 2 external posrts- on mini usb port for charging or data transfer and a 3.5mm port (female) for music output.

2. How can u connect mobiles USB cable with car USB cable ? Can u elucidate .
I believe the photo should be self explanatory
Attached Images

Last edited by noopster : 18th January 2013 at 11:17. Reason: Duplicate pics removed
Old 18th January 2013, 12:51   #5623
BHPian

Post deleted. "Bumping" of threads and posts is considered spam and is not permitted on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read our announcements and posting rules carefully before proceeding.

Last edited by noopster : 18th January 2013 at 16:25.
Old 18th January 2013, 14:50   #5624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I believe the photo should be self explanatory

Sorry , Ninja for pushing the issue but from pic it is clear that 1) A cable is indeed needed to connect a phone ! and 2) it is not clear which end of the phone the cable connects to? The mini USB or the 3.5mm ?

Cheers
Old 18th January 2013, 15:57   #5625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
Hello everyone.

I request fellow Vento owners and auto gurus to help me with my queries posted on post # 5616, page # 375 of this thread.

Thanks
No boss, it is not normal. Get it checked.

As for the workshop in discussion, one of the bangalore Vento owners should be reverting to you. Did you search this thread on the same? I believe there were a few posts discussing the workshops in Bangalore recently. From that I only remember that VW Downtown is not a good workshop to opt for. There is actually a thread by one of the mods on it with his (-ve) experience described - look it up.

Quote:
2) it is not clear which end of the phone the cable connects to? The mini USB or the 3.5mm ?
Mini USB.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed