Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2013, 16:51   #5641
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Yes the fabric covers were removed to put this. Price and more detail from him soon. He is yet to become a T-Bhp member .
Thanks for that information. However, is there an option to get it done without removing the original fabric? I would like to keep the original fabric so that i could revert back to it at any time. And the idea of stripping the original fabric sounds quite scary to me
Old 20th January 2013, 18:04   #5642
BHPian

No. They told that this finishing may not be their over the fabric cover. Also they wont do it. I checked with imperial leather for my swift. They do it over fabric but only for art or PU leather. Real leather will be done after removing fabric covers.BTW my friend took pic of whole process. He will post them after getting membership
Old 20th January 2013, 18:08   #5643
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
No. They told that this finishing may not be their over the fabric cover.
True! From what I know, they remove the original fabric, and stitch the leather to the seats. I believe that gives the OEM fit and finish to the seats.
Old 20th January 2013, 22:42   #5644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Mini USB.
I tried this on my HTC Desire (Android 2.2). The phone just kept charging and the ICE display said, AUX-IN, but not doing anything. :-(
Old 20th January 2013, 23:05   #5645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I tried this on my HTC Desire (Android 2.2). The phone just kept charging and the ICE display said, AUX-IN, but not doing anything. :-(

Refer to this post. Should work for you too. Although the steps mentioned are for ICS OS. Similar option should exist for v2.2.
Old 21st January 2013, 11:28   #5646
BHPian

Just back from a 2K+ km trip covering Satapada, Vizag and Araku valley. The car did fabulously well and the theoretical GC increase meant potholes and the super large bumps in Vizag never became a concern. I could see cars like the City and the Civic having a tough time negotiating the bumps in Vizag. Also got a chance to test the car on the twisties and hair pin bends en route to Araku valley. A detailed report will be put up separate on the ownership thread or a travelogue.

I had a more generic question specially to those who regularly drive hilly terrain specially a lot of hairpin bends. I had read somewhere the best way to come downhill on hilly terrain is using the 2nd or 3rd gear avoiding any hard braking and obviously not riding on the clutch at all. This is what I was doing this time however after driving for some time I sensed a slight burning smell which I am not sure came from where. Since I was in a convoy and had almost reached the bottom I slowed down a little bit more instead of stopping and as soon as I was on the plains the smell went away. I might have been doing something wrong but I am not sure what. I checked the brakes later the next day and everything seemed fine. The burning smell never occurred again. It would be great if someone could shed some light. Oh yes the Vento true to what others have experienced handled hilly roads extremely well. In fact both uphill and downhill I found a Verna struggling while the Vento just gliding through.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 17:48   #5647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I had a more generic question specially to those who regularly drive hilly terrain specially a lot of hairpin bends. I had read somewhere the best way to come downhill on hilly terrain is using the 2nd or 3rd gear avoiding any hard braking and obviously not riding on the clutch at all. This is what I was doing this time however after driving for some time I sensed a slight burning smell which I am not sure came from where. Since I was in a convoy and had almost reached the bottom I slowed down a little bit more instead of stopping and as soon as I was on the plains the smell went away.
I have faced the similar smell in Vento and earlier with Santro also during my hill trips. Once I have with SA and he mentioned it's normal to get it. I guess this is to do with constant braking.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 17:51   #5648
Senior - BHPian

After my second service, when the vehicle runs for a while and I stop at the traffic signals, I can feel small kicks. I don't know why it happens even when the engine is warmed up. Does anyone feel these small kicks on your back?
Old 21st January 2013, 18:09   #5649
BHPian

Quote:
Just back from a 2K+ km trip covering Satapada, Vizag and Araku valley. The car did fabulously well and the theoretical GC increase meant potholes and the super large bumps in Vizag never became a concern. I could see cars like the City and the Civic having a tough time negotiating the bumps in Vizag. Also got a chance to test the car on the twisties and hair pin bends en route to Araku valley. A detailed report will be put up separate on the ownership thread or a travelogue.

I had a more generic question specially to those who regularly drive hilly terrain specially a lot of hairpin bends. I had read somewhere the best way to come downhill on hilly terrain is using the 2nd or 3rd gear avoiding any hard braking and obviously not riding on the clutch at all. This is what I was doing this time however after driving for some time I sensed a slight burning smell which I am not sure came from where. Since I was in a convoy and had almost reached the bottom I slowed down a little bit more instead of stopping and as soon as I was on the plains the smell went away. I might have been doing something wrong but I am not sure what. I checked the brakes later the next day and everything seemed fine. The burning smell never occurred again. It would be great if someone could shed some light. Oh yes the Vento true to what others have experienced handled hilly roads extremely well. In fact both uphill and downhill I found a Verna struggling while the Vento just gliding through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I have faced the similar smell in Vento and earlier with Santro also during my hill trips. Once I have with SA and he mentioned it's normal to get it. I guess this is to do with constant braking.

This smell generally comes from overheated brakes. I would try to describe as to how I use brakes in the Vento as I visit hills quite regularly and I have not faced any such issues. I realized this when my office colleagues were taking a test drive of my brand new car and they were trying to judge the brakes and surprisingly they didnt like them whereas I was absolutely blown away by the braking capabilities of the Vento. What they were trying to do was press the brake pedal with a lot of pressure and believe within 3 Kms in city my brakes had smoke coming out of them and I was shocked.

Here are few tips:
1) I think the brakes in Vento are kind of gradual. What I mean is that the time you keep the brake pressed the intensity increases.
2) Press the brake lightly till the point where braking starts and press keep it there for slightly longer if you need to shed more speed. I am sure emergency situations would require a firmer push. But for normal slowing down you can use this technique.
3) Ventos 4 and 5th gears are I think taller and because of the torque and anti stall feature if you are not fast enough for these cars they automatically kind of try to maintain to speed to avoid jerking hence use 3rd gear in downhill sections.
4) And ofcourse maintain slightly lower speeds in downhill sections to avoid greater use of brakes and use engine deaceleration as much as possible.

On the side note, what I have felt is that using the engine deacelaration in Vento is tricky because 4th and 5th gears kind of end up automatically accelerating the car because of this anti jerk feature and shifting down to 3rd is not always possible to slow down the car in corners. But you can try these steps. Hopefully they will result in more brake pad life although I am not sure about this last part though because I am not sure how mine have lasted. Would get to know about them in 2nd service as most have their brake pads changes in the 2nd service.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 22:34   #5650
BHPian

I spoke to the VW dealers again today. They confirmed that they will start receiving the pepper grey shade of vento soon. However the Bluetooth, SD card support and other stuff mentioned earlier are only for the polo. They said they have not recived any confirmation for vento except the color change.

As for the polo, it will receiving the features reported earlier and the new midnight blue color and the existing light blue color will be phased out. BTW the feature are not new. It has been there for a while now not as a built in unit but as a part of the parrot minikit.

How much of this is correct, we will know only when it comes out i guess.
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:53   #5651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post

Here are few tips:
1) I think the brakes in Vento are kind of gradual. What I mean is that the time you keep the brake pressed the intensity increases.
2) Press the brake lightly till the point where braking starts and press keep it there for slightly longer if you need to shed more speed. I am sure emergency situations would require a firmer push. But for normal slowing down you can use this technique.
Is this true for both the ABS ( highline) and the non ABS versions both? Somehow , did not find any mention of ABS in these posts which I think quite relevant in a braking discussion.
Is there any difference in braking experience with the ABS versions and the non ABS version by Vento owners?
Old 22nd January 2013, 13:27   #5652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
Is this true for both the ABS ( highline) and the non ABS versions both? Somehow , did not find any mention of ABS in these posts which I think quite relevant in a braking discussion.
Is there any difference in braking experience with the ABS versions and the non ABS version by Vento owners?
I am not very sure on that one. I have not driven any other Vento desides my car. Mine is a Highline.
Old 22nd January 2013, 14:09   #5653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I spoke to the VW dealers again today. They confirmed that they will start receiving the pepper grey shade of vento soon. However the Bluetooth, SD card support and other stuff mentioned earlier are only for the polo. They said they have not recived any confirmation for vento except the color change.

As for the polo, it will receiving the features reported earlier and the new midnight blue color and the existing light blue color will be phased out. BTW the feature are not new. It has been there for a while now not as a built in unit but as a part of the parrot minikit.

How much of this is correct, we will know only when it comes out i guess.
Just got a call from the VW salesperson mentioning that pepper grey on Vento is coming along with SD card support, remote and manual keys and new alloys. I am not sure why manual keys are required when we have remote keys.

He wasn't sure if the ICE is new, also wasn't sure about Bluetooth support.

Last edited by mikilbhatkar : 22nd January 2013 at 14:13. Reason: Got a call again to provide more updates.
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:02   #5654
BHPian

Quote:
I could see cars like the City and the Civic having a tough time negotiating the bumps in Vizag.

In fact both uphill and downhill I found a Verna struggling while the Vento just gliding through.
Thanks for the above comparisons . Couldnt please me more specificaly on your observation on Verna

Cheers !
Old 22nd January 2013, 17:05   #5655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
[b]Extended Warranty
Is tax extra on the EW amount?
I realized today that the time limit is 23 months and not 2 years and with a few days remaining I hurried into action.
Called up WC VW and they gave me a 18K quote for my P-Vento.
I'll be going there tomorrow to get this done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks