Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2013, 07:35   #5731
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Friends, I need your advise on tire upgrades. When you guys change from the 185/60/R/15 profile to 205/55/R/15 what do you do for the the spare wheel. As I understand the spare wheel in its current avatar can substitute one of the wheels if we use the default profile. But after a upgrade wont this be an issue unless one changes the spare too (if so what was the spare wheel upgrade). Also does changing the profile affect suspension warranty (I would assume).

Don't ask me what I did last time, I had updated the RIMS to HRS HiJoin (including the spare), so all wheels had 195/60/R/15 BridgeStone Turanza ER60 shod on them. I cant do the same on the current car, as its under company lease and changing a alloy would be painful task.
Two options - keep the spare as Bala rightly pointed out (that is what @mikon, myself & quite a few others are doing with 195/60 upgrades). Even with 205/55 the diff is not much to cause a lot of long lasting damage.

Or you could exchange the R14 steel rim and get a R15 rim; and get a cheaper brand spare tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I'm still going to ask you the question, how many times did you get to use the spare with your old car? I ask you this because I remember this conversation we had for your old car! I would save that money and spend on something else, the spare is anyways supposed to get you to the nearest tyre repair shop, why bother? :-)
+1 to this logic!
Old 7th February 2013, 11:47   #5732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I'm still going to ask you the question, how many times did you get to use the spare with your old car? I ask you this because I remember this conversation we had for your old car! I would save that money and spend on something else, the spare is anyways supposed to get you to the nearest tyre repair shop, why bother? :-)
LOL, Yes, I remember it, its been about 5 quarters now since we had this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Two options - keep the spare as Bala rightly pointed out (that is what @mikon, myself & quite a few others are doing with 195/60 upgrades). Even with 205/55 the diff is not much to cause a lot of long lasting damage.

Or you could exchange the R14 steel rim and get a R15 rim; and get a cheaper brand spare tire.

+1 to this logic!
So I checked with the leasing company who in turn checked with the dealership before getting back to me with a reply - "Up sizing tires voids suspension and host of other warranties ! So NO, you cannot up size, unless you want to close the lease". Damn ! I really wanted to move up to 195/60/15 BS Turanza ER60, the same that were shod in my older car and which were amazing. BUT, I had to settle for BS Turanza ER300 in 185/60/15 avatar. Well you could ask me why not stay with the Accellers. No, life is more worth than the 12K I had to spend (after exchange of old tires) for the more reliable Bridgestones. I will keep the forum updated on the ER300 performance.

I learned a few interesting things. The R13 & R14 tires have better buy back because they move faster in the 2nd hand market because the cab guys buy it. Similar with Innova spec tires. The 185 apparently is odd sized and the only buyers for this would be private cars. They find it hard to push Accellers as most of private car buyers prefer a better tire. So 185 in a Acceller is a bad option for exchange :-(. I was considering the Primacy LC's but then my superior experience with ER60 made me stay back with Bridgestones.

Last edited by SR-71 : 7th February 2013 at 11:56.
Old 7th February 2013, 18:13   #5733
BHPian

Quote:
I had to settle for BS Turanza ER300 in 185/60/15 avatar. Well you could ask me why not stay with the Accellers. No, life is more worth than the 12K I had to spend (after exchange of old tires) for the more reliable Bridgestones. I will keep the forum updated on the ER300 performance.
Are you sure BS Turanza are available in 185/60/15? i have been searching for this size (stock VW Vento highline size) for a while in BS but the BS website and a few tyre dealers say its not available in this particular size. the BS website shows the available size as 185/60/14. and not in 15''. If available, i am gonna change my Apollos to BS Turanzas ASAP!
Old 7th February 2013, 20:05   #5734
BHPian

There, took the plunge, booked vento TDI HL today. Good inputs from bhpians, excellent reviews by GTO and others, honest ownership experiences from several members here, have made my decision easier. Now, it is tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock t'll I get my hands on the weiß Ritter :-)
Old 8th February 2013, 04:58   #5735
Senior - BHPian

I haven't heard anything more absurd than this! As long as the up-size is within the acceptable deviation no one can deny the claim, anyways, these morons cant be educated.

By the way - Why do you even bother asking them all these? Cant you just go ahead and up-size? How will they even come to know? You can always swap them over in the unlikely event of reverting back to old specs again?

Quote:

So I checked with the leasing company who in turn checked with the dealership before getting back to me with a reply - "Up sizing tires voids suspension and host of other warranties
Old 8th February 2013, 05:17   #5736
BHPian

Quote:
Well you could ask me why not stay with the Accellers. No, life is more worth than the 12K I had to spend (after exchange of old tires) for the more reliable Bridgestones. I will keep the forum updated on the ER300 performance.
Come on, the Acceleres aren't so bad that you risk your life with them! Yes, they are not great but some of us who are using them from day one have not many things to complain. They have decent grip (even at high speeds) and they have held on so far after rough abuse. The treads on my tyres are still excellent after 27k kms and the only thing to complain is the road noise.

Of course, when the time comes to change these tyres, I will be moving away from Acceleres, but they have held up better than I expected.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 07:55   #5737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well you could ask me why not stay with the Accellers. No, life is more worth than the 12K I had to spend (after exchange of old tires) for the more reliable Bridgestones.
I wonder if you have been watching too many Saas-Bahu serials As Nilesh correctly reverted, the Acceleres aren't bad actually; just that they fare a level below the Bridgestone, Contis (& etc); but they ain't life threatening in any manner

And talking of keeping the forum updated, to put it in @souravc's style - we are still awaiting your thread! If not a thread, atleast a good set of pics of the still-to-be-seen-on-the-forum Grey Vento.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 13:21   #5738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I wonder if you have been watching too many Saas-Bahu serials As Nilesh correctly reverted, the Acceleres aren't bad actually; just that they fare a level below the Bridgestone, Contis (& etc); but they ain't life threatening in any manner
I have done 45,400 kms in Acceleres without any many complaints. I'm planning to change the them around 48k with conti.
Old 8th February 2013, 13:35   #5739
BHPian

I need some help/answers from fellow ventoheads!

My MID is going absolutely cuckoo when showing the fuel consumption!

In a 10 second span it shows me 4.5km/l, 6.1km/l, 12.1km/l, 26.4km/l, 45km/l and 85km/l!

The nos then change by a .1 or .2 factor in the next 10 seconds and so on.

Am I missing something here - is there some trick to reading this data? Or do I need to visit the service guys and find out what's going on?

Any thoughts, guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
There, took the plunge, booked vento TDI HL today. Good inputs from bhpians, excellent reviews by GTO and others, honest ownership experiences from several members here, have made my decision easier. Now, it is tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock t'll I get my hands on the weiß Ritter :-)
Congrats stringbh! Welcome to the club What color have you gone for? When do you expect to take delivery?

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th February 2013 at 15:42. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 8th February 2013, 13:47   #5740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey645 View Post
What color have you gone for?
Thanks Joey645 Weiß Ritter - So, it is White knight ! Delivery expected in about two weeks. My booking amount has already been deducted today, so that part they have done fast. I hope they do the remaining needful stuff fast enough
Old 8th February 2013, 13:56   #5741
BHPian

Quote:
I need some help/answers from fellow ventoheads!

My MID is going absolutely cuckoo when showing the fuel consumption!

In a 10 second span it shows me 4.5km/l, 6.1km/l, 12.1km/l, 26.4km/l, 45km/l and 85km/l!

The nos then change by a .1 or .2 factor in the next 10 seconds and so on.

Am I missing something here - is there some trick to reading this data? Or do I need to visit the service guys and find out what's going on?

Any thoughts, guys?
The Vento MID, among other things, displays instant fuel consumtion/mileage and average fuel consumption/mileage. What you have been seeing is the instant mileage. this changes every second or two. hence this 'erratic' reading. This is functioning as intended. Nothing to be alarmed about.

If you toggle thru the MID functions using the small toggle switch on the right side lever, u will also get an avg fuel consumption/mileage reading which changes over a set distance (i guess every 100 meters or so) by taking into account the amount of fuel injected every 100 meters or so.

Regards
Old 8th February 2013, 15:02   #5742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
Are you sure BS Turanza are available in 185/60/15? i have been searching for this size (stock VW Vento highline size) for a while in BS but the BS website and a few tyre dealers say its not available in this particular size. the BS website shows the available size as 185/60/14. and not in 15''. If available, i am gonna change my Apollos to BS Turanzas ASAP!
I upgraded them couple of days back, so am sure, they are available in that size. Try the Bridgestone select shop. I would have liked to goto shiva's but considering time and traffic, i went to TyreZone (outer ring road near cisco) which actually did a decent job. I got 3 tires from 1st week of 2013 and 1 from 52nd week of 2012 (per the DOT code) and am OK with it. Price was 4.8K per tires and buy back was 1.8K. @Bala, As I mentioned the car is under company car lease and I really did not want to take any risks right away, I will probably go with up size in the next cycle. @Ninja, LOL, No saas-baahu, have had a few scary moments with accelers earlier and I remember bala had a miraculous escape with a cut side wall in relatively new tires. Maybe I am making a deal out of it, but given my extensive highway runs, its better to be safe than sorry. End of the day, yes luck always counts too, be it BS or Conti or Accellers.

Last edited by SR-71 : 8th February 2013 at 15:09.
Old 8th February 2013, 15:20   #5743
BHPian

Quote:
I upgraded them couple of days back, so am sure, they are available in that size. Try the Bridgestone select shop. I would have liked to goto shiva's but considering time and traffic, i went to TyreZone (outer ring road near cisco) which actually did a decent job. I got 3 tires from 1st week of 2013 and 1 from 52nd week of 2012 (per the DOT code) and am OK with it. Price was 4.8K per tires and buy back was 1.8K.
Thanks SR-71, that's great news for me. Will try a few tyre dealers near my place first as ORR is pretty far from my place. Tyre Professionals is very close to my place, will check out there first. Thanks again.

Hi everyone!
Finally got my Vento TDI's first service done at Bangalore Motors, Rajajinagar.

Initially booked the service at VW Downtown, Hosur rd. Right from the beginning their attitude was pathetic. Every time I called up to book a slot, I was promised a call back from the 'concerned service department' but never got a call. They were least bothered.

Decided to do some 'research' on TBHP. Thanks to fellow BHPian ninjatalli's and nileshch's prompt response to my queries regarding some issues with my Vento and regarding a good service center, decided to go with Bangalore Motors. Also, to my luck, BHPian anToNIcHeN's post regarding the service of his Vento done at Rajajinagar proved to be a timely blessing.

I am very happy with the over-all service experience. Right from the promptness in booking a slot and giving a reminder call to the quality of work done, I can say they are fantastic! I interacted with two service advisers, both of whom were very well-informed and courteous. Its a relatively new center, hence fewer cars and better attention to each car/customer. Squeaky clean premises.

List of things done at this service:

1) Changed Engine oil and Oil Filter
2) Replaced clutch hose (under warranty) (Thanks to TBHP for the info)
3) Replaced Engine Mounts to the new Hydraulic ones (under warranty). Again thanks to this lovely forum.
4) Replaced seat assembly (was done without me asking for it)
5) Software updated.
6) Suspension was lubricated and so were the doors. All the creaking noises have vanished!!

I had specifically asked them not to do any wheel balancing/alignment. I will be getting it done at Tyre Professionals, located just a minute away from my house and have been going to them for more than a decade. They are the best.

The car feels completely transformed after the service. The engine noise has reduced considerably (guessing this must be something to do with the ECU software update and Engine oil change). The jerks felt during gear changes have gone and the suspension noises and door noises have all gone! The car feels so much more 'refined' and the power delivery is more linear now.

However, I feel the power surge I used to experience beyond 2000 rpm is now more subdued. Anyone experienced the same or is it just me?

Total damage - Rs. 7,866/-!!!! Very pleased with this figure!

Thanks once again.

Regards

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th February 2013 at 15:41. Reason: Back to back posts.
ASVA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 18:02   #5744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Thanks Joey645 Weiß Ritter - So, it is White knight ! Delivery expected in about two weeks. My booking amount has already been deducted today, so that part they have done fast. I hope they do the remaining needful stuff fast enough
Awesome! You cant go wrong with a white knight Congrats again man. Looking forward to pics and your ownership report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
The Vento MID, among other things, displays instant fuel consumtion/mileage and average fuel consumption/mileage. What you have been seeing is the instant mileage. this changes every second or two. hence this 'erratic' reading. This is functioning as intended. Nothing to be alarmed about.

If you toggle thru the MID functions using the small toggle switch on the right side lever, u will also get an avg fuel consumption/mileage reading which changes over a set distance (i guess every 100 meters or so) by taking into account the amount of fuel injected every 100 meters or so.

Regards
ASVA thanks for the clarification. However, I don't get any other mileage reading options (tried five cycles with no luck), and even the distance to empty keeps showing 5-6 different distances in a 10 second span. And it's not subtly different on that either. It shows 22km, 163km, 305km, 452km and 510km! Maybe the MID needs to be re-calibrated or something?
Old 8th February 2013, 18:20   #5745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ASVA thanks for the clarification. However, I don't get any other mileage reading options (tried five cycles with no luck), and even the distance to empty keeps showing 5-6 different distances in a 10 second span. And it's not subtly different on that either. It shows 22km, 163km, 305km, 452km and 510km! Maybe the MID needs to be re-calibrated or something?
There is a thread on vento quirks and features that can help you here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-quirks.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks