Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2013, 01:21   #5776
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hi Guys,

Need a small help.I am buying a new Vento (Highline).
Need to know if i get Reverse camera,GPS Navigation and HID kit installed from Market will that void company warranty?
Old 17th February 2013, 11:36   #5777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet1712 View Post
Hi Guys,

Need to know if i get Reverse camera,GPS Navigation and HID kit installed from Market will that void company warranty?
Vinnet
Hid installation voids warranty . Gps and reverse cam doesn't
Old 17th February 2013, 14:36   #5778
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Need your view and suggestions on the head light upgrade for my VW Vento HL(White colour) I am planning to do by end of this week. I have been running with stock lights for more than 2 years(44 kms ODO) and think its the right time now to go for an upgrade to assist in my highway drives.

Key objectives behind upgrade -
1- better visibility of the road as majority of our highways are still not well lighted, marked and guarded properly
2- enhanced looks(external beauty)

I went through the useful post 54124 by @el lobo 6061 on the following link for guidance - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2703636

"
[COLOR=#000000]changed the old yellow light to white light with Philips Essential [/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]Vision[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] H4 100/90W for headlamps, Philips [/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]Vision[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] W5W [/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]4000K[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] 5W for parking light & rear number plate and Philips [/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]Vision[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]HB4[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]9006[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]4000K[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] 55W for fog lamps.[/COLOR]
"

Not sure why projectors arent being used for vento head lights but I have been adviced the below option for vento(total expenses above 10k).

Question 1 - Can anyone confirm if the below spec looks appropriate or, anything else I should go for? These specs have been adviced by one of my friend(autombile engineer).

Headlights
Projector specs - 3.0" clear glass lens, adapted Morimoto v5
HID bulbs(Bi-Xenon) - 4300k, 35W digital AC ballasts, RHS cut-off, snap-on ccfls for angel eyes

Fog Lamps
Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 55W 4000K

Question 2 - Crystal Vision versus blue vision light? Which is better and more suitable for a mix of city and highway driving? All I know by my limited knowledge is that blue vision is more attractive but has lesser brightness/illumination.

Thanks,
Nikesh
Old 17th February 2013, 17:35   #5779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
I read through the various posts in this and other forums on the most recommended upsize of vento tyre to 205/55/R15. But unfortunately, I have company lease issues for changing all the tyres so early
205/55/R15 is the best upsize for Vento over the stock 185/60/R15 and I don't see any logic behind warranty being void because of tyre upsize by VW and company lease going kaput. Leasing company if ain't informed about upgrade, they would be happy and you did be more happy. If you even told the leasing company I want to upgrade the bulbs to Philips Xtreme Vision 60/55, they did still say leasing & warranty kaput.

Even in terms of warranty if looked in precisely, tyre upsize voids only suspension warranty and it exists for only 10,000 Kms. So if you even upgraded to 205 patch rubber after 10K, neither VW nor leasing company should have a problem.

But I did suggest either use stock tyres till their lifespan or upgrade now only, since used tyres won't get you much buy back.

Also Apollo Acceleres & JK Vectra are very good tyres and I'm using the later ones, absolutely to the max. No problems whatsoever, touchwood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
Hence, the question is, is it ok if I change the existing 185/60/R15 punctured tyre to another brand ( dont want to go with acceleres again) of same size?
Replacing tyre just because of punture is no good, as you may encounter another later. Just have the current one repaired from a reputed shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet1712 View Post
Technically yes, if those fittings result in some problem later to electrical's. VW would be more than happy to say "Warranty VOID".

If you get it done from a reputed shop who know's what goes where & can handle German electronics, then why not. AFAIK Highline comes with GPS & reverse camera, then why do you want to go with after market shoddy quality stuff? Since VW is giving you the equipment and it keeps the warranty intact too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
Need your view and suggestions on the head light upgrade for my VW Vento HL(White colour) I am planning to do by end of this week. I have been running with stock lights for more than 2 years(44 kms ODO) and think its the right time now to go for an upgrade to assist in my highway drives.
I would suggest you to get the same upgrade which I did last year. It costs less and gives the best looks for the price.

HiD means a lot of headache, firstly ballast, wiring, secondly opening up the headlamps casing to install the HiD which may later have fogging inside due to improper sealing and lastly the cost, its astronomical and warranty for the HID bulbs is zilch.

Quote:
Question 2 - Crystal Vision versus blue vision light? Which is better and more suitable for a mix of city and highway driving?
My suggestion stay within the 4000K limit else you did have trouble in foggy & rainy condition as white light gets scattered easily compared to yellow light. My vote goes to Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 55W.

Quote:
All I know by my limited knowledge is that blue vision is more attractive but has lesser brightness/illumination.
It's the opposite, CrystalVison gives lesser illumination and the light output is lesser then the BlueVision. Higher the Kelvin temperature K, lesser the light output. So basically 4000K gives more illumination than 4300K.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 21:12   #5780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
205/55/R15 is the best upsize for Vento over the stock 185/60/R15 and I don't see any logic behind warranty being void because of tyre upsize by VW and company lease going kaput.
Regarding tyres, I used stock apollo acceleres for 42k and only had punctures twice and they really did a good job. Didnt get any value after the tenure. I changed to Bridgestone MY02 195/60/R15 two months back and last 2000 kms have been much more pleasurable. I already had one puncture when the new tyres were just 1k old.

Regarding lights upgrade, just to let you know I was planning to get the fitting done from one the projector manufacturers/exporters based out at pune and had visited their workshop as well. So I actually saw them doing the installation nice and clean hence was tempted to go with it as they will provide after sales service too in case of any faults. Do you see this as an advantage as I will not be able to do the fitting myself anyways? Please let me know if you see the option I have given as appropriate else I will be forced now to go with your recommendation as I have very limited practical knowledge on the issues with HID and projectors

Last edited by noopster : 18th February 2013 at 12:32. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 17th February 2013, 23:30   #5781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you see this as an advantage as I will not be able to do the fitting myself anyways? Please let me know if you see the option I have given as appropriate else I will be forced now to go with your recommendation as I have very limited practical knowledge on the issues with HID and projectors
I would still like to stick to the ones I have and give the projectors a miss. Though the manufacturers/exporters at Pune are very good at it but I can't fathom the amount of extra wires, fittings, after sales and more importantly price. Rs. 10,000 is too much, I could get 10 times the replacement bulbs for the current setup of mine.

Projectors may look good but after market fitted have zero practicality considering the above factors. I'm no way trying to persuade you to not have projectors. If you really wan't them, go ahead with it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 18:42   #5782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Yo ho, 45 days? seems like you are in Pune and a bit surprising that it would take so long to get it delivered. Is it because of some specific color?

I can relate to your saga (which it seems now is becoming common, due to the number of choices available . Its a new hobby now !). After a lot of running around, I finally did my booking last week and the time frame given to me was around 20 days. I also insisted with my SA that it should be Feb 2013 make and yes, absolutely no discounts.
Hey buddy!
The situation has become a bit clearer. I booked my Vento Highline TDI Terra Beige (Feb 2013) yesterday. There was a lot of confusion, and the sales rep was just not budging on anything. After an hour of discussions, I requested for a call with a higher up. Finally things became more sensible after that.

Will put up all of these and a few more details on my ownership thread, as and when I get the vehicle delivered. Currently, the promised date is 28th February. Fingers crossed.
Old 18th February 2013, 19:21   #5783
BHPian

Can any new owners please confirm whether they received the Vento with Feb 2013 VIN? and post some pictures (esp. of pepper grey !).
Old 19th February 2013, 09:40   #5784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I would still like to stick to the ones I have and give the projectors a miss. Though the manufacturers/exporters at Pune are very good at it but I can't fathom the amount of extra wires, fittings, after sales and more importantly price. Rs. 10,000 is too much, I could get 10 times the replacement bulbs for the current setup of mine.

Projectors may look good but after market fitted have zero practicality considering the above factors. I'm no way trying to persuade you to not have projectors. If you really wan't them, go ahead with it.
Thanks @el lobo.
After giving this lot of thought I have decided to go ahead with the projectors coming weekend with the bluish white lights.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:52   #5785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Can any new owners please confirm whether they received the Vento with Feb 2013 VIN? and post some pictures (esp. of pepper grey !).
Wait till 3rd march......I booked pepper gray highline delievery 28feb

Quote:
Thanks @el lobo.
After giving this lot of thought I have decided to go ahead with the projectors coming weekend with the bluish white lights.
@nikesh do share some pics after gettingwork done.
Share somecomparison of after and before and your thought about VW Warranty.

Note from Support - Please use the Multi-Quote option to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th February 2013 at 11:17. Reason: Merged posts
Old 20th February 2013, 15:21   #5786
Senior - BHPian

Did a short back-to-back test drive of the Vento petrol and diesel.

Going by the huge fan-fare for the diesel, I was under the impression that it will blow my mind off. To be frank, my expectations were not met, just because it was no where comfortable when the car jerks every time while taking the foot off the clutch. It was difficult to release the clutch without any jerking, except in higher gears. Then, the engine vibrations transferred on to the clutch was such that someone was hitting with a hammer under my left foot. Sorry to disappointing any fan-fare, but the car felt untamed. This upsets me especially when I pay a million rupee. The raw power could help the guys who do highways day and night, but I felt the harshness could kill the joy. This is where the Verna outscores down-hand; on the NVH levels. Of course, the high speed handling of the Verna is topic for another discussion.

The Vento petrol was a different ball game altogether. I felt some lag at lower RPMs! After that, the vehicle felt quite happy. Except for that, the NVH, ride quality and the fit and finish exudes premium-ness. The only other factor I fear, going by reports, is the ultra low FE on the petrol.
Old 20th February 2013, 15:47   #5787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Going by the huge fan-fare for the diesel, I was under the impression that it will blow my mind off. To be frank, my expectations were not met, just because it was no where comfortable when the car jerks every time while taking the foot off the clutch. It was difficult to release the clutch without any jerking, except in higher gears. Then, the engine vibrations transferred on to the clutch was such that someone was hitting with a hammer under my left foot. Sorry to disappointing any fan-fare, but the car felt untamed.
Without going into the Vento vs Verna debate, maybe you need to TD a different vehicle, and probably a much better maintained one. The Tdi does suffer from a bit of jerking in the clutch & engine vibrations in the clutch/accelerator; but both exist at very low levels, hardly something that one would affect a short drive.

Most (other car owners) drivers, including bhpians, at most find the clutch a bit hard, but hardly have I found anyone complaining of the above two aspects when they TD my car.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 16:12   #5788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The Tdi does suffer from a bit of jerking in the clutch & engine vibrations in the clutch/accelerator; but both exist at very low levels, hardly something that one would affect a short drive.
Sorry to disagree pal. Mine was a very short drive and it did affect me from the first gear shift. I am pretty sure that long time users does get accustomed to high NVH in cars and the first time user is definite to complaint about it. Personally, I couldn't digest the fact of paying a million rupee to be beaten on the sole of my left foot sole every time my foot is on the pedal. Even the Micra diesel have a bit of vibration on half clutch, but the one on the Vento was heavy. If I was a full time highway user, I could have ignored the vibration bit as it involves lesser gear shifts.

Quote:
Most (other car owners) drivers, including bhpians, at most find the clutch a bit hard
This is also contradicting with the car I got. I didn't find the clutch anywhere hard. And I am not getting why a dealer wanted to show off a badly maintained car, if at all that was the case.

Edit: Please do not misunderstand my two line review to be a comparison between the Vento and the Verna. The reason I brought the Verna into the picture is only because it is the only other diesel in the segment I have experience with.

Last edited by thoma : 20th February 2013 at 16:19.
Old 20th February 2013, 16:29   #5789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
And I am not getting why a dealer wanted to show off a badly maintained car, if at all that was the case.
Quite a few reasons can be attributed for that; I doubt you want any history flashback on pre-sales experiences of VW dealers. And I have seen several experiences on the forum of having done TD on a badly maintained car, irrespective of the brand.

Anyway, a 2nd TD of a different car should resolve your quandary; and of course it can go either way. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents before you formulate your final opinion.

P.s. Is this a buying-TD process or just a random TD?
Old 20th February 2013, 18:08   #5790
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Without going into the Vento vs Verna debate, maybe you need to TD a different vehicle, and probably a much better maintained one. The Tdi does suffer from a bit of jerking in the clutch & engine vibrations in the clutch/accelerator; but both exist at very low levels, hardly something that one would affect a short drive.

Most (other car owners) drivers, including bhpians, at most find the clutch a bit hard, but hardly have I found anyone complaining of the above two aspects when they TD my car.
I do agree with Thoma’s feedback on the clutch. Infact that’s the only point which I did not like about the Vento TDI. In my case, the Vento test-drive was right after doing a TD of the Fiesta diesel (15 mins apart, same route covering around 10 kms). Of the two, overall as a package I really liked the Vento, except for the clutch behavior. It was quite odd, especially in city speeds. The TD car was a brand new Shadow Blue Highline.

On the NVH levels, I did not find any issue at all. The car sounded awful from outside, but an entirely different story inside – very well insulated and absolutely peaceful.

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th February 2013 at 18:09.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed