Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 15:12   #5866
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Completed 1 year with the Wind today. Last year this date took the delivery.

Kms Covered : 18124
Fuel Consumed : 1124.95 L
Total Fuel Cost : INR 54820.19
Average Fuel Cost per ltr : INR 49.01
Minimum Fuel Cost per ltr : INR 44.38
Maximum Fuel Cost per ltr : INR 54.18
Mileage (0-18124Kms) : 16.20 kmpl
Minimum Mileage : 12.10 kmpl
Maximum Mileage : 22.23 kmpl
First Service at 15644 Kms
First Service Date : 28 Jan 2013
Service Amount : INR 10243

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20130318_144934.jpg

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari

Last edited by aniket.tiwari27 : 18th March 2013 at 15:16. Reason: Added two more points.
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 15:48   #5867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post

Another thing I noticed yesterday was - after parking the car and idling for about 1min before switching off, when I pulled out the keys and locked the car, I could still hear the fan. Is it normal coz this was the first time I noticed this happen after switching off the car, pulling out the keys and locking it out.?

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
This is normal for most modern cars.

If you have run a long distance, or used the AC in extreme hot weather (where it has to work extra hard), or you have indulged in or been forced to drive aggressively or your engine revs were high for long periods, your cooling fan will continue to run for a while after you switch off your ignition.
Correct. When I reached my destination in Ooty after driving the torturous 36 hairpin steep route, my Fiesta's fan ran for nearly 4 minutes after switching off the engine.

Prior to that, it happened only once of twice in summer months.

@aniket.., your FE figures are really great. Congrats on completing a year.

Last edited by vnabhi : 18th March 2013 at 15:49.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 16:15   #5868
BHPian

Quote:
Completed 1 year with the Wind today. Last year this date took the delivery.

Kms Covered : 18124
Fuel Consumed : 1124.95 L
Total Fuel Cost : INR 54820.19
Average Fuel Cost per ltr : INR 49.01
Minimum Fuel Cost per ltr : INR 44.38
Maximum Fuel Cost per ltr : INR 54.18
Mileage (0-18124Kms) : 16.20 kmpl
Minimum Mileage : 12.10 kmpl
Maximum Mileage : 22.23 kmpl
First Service at 15644 Kms
First Service Date : 28 Jan 2013
Service Amount : INR 10243

Attachment 1063423

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari
Another person who is crunching miles like me! Congratulations mate!
I completed 50,010 KM on the ODO on the second year anniversary
Old 18th March 2013, 16:27   #5869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Dude.. 50010kms is just too much!! I mean from do u manage time to drive? If I have to match you, I will have to do 32000kms in this year which I doubt would be possible. Lets see.

Actually my daily office commute is total 13kms (~6kms one way). So, majority of miles are from weekend and outstation trips.

But, I have to admit, every time I drive this car, it puts a smile on my face. Never runs out of breath.
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 16:32   #5870
BHPian

Quote:
Dude.. 50010kms is just too much!! I mean from do u manage time to drive? If I have to match you, I will have to do 32000kms in this year which I doubt would be possible. Lets see.

Actually my daily office commute is total 13kms (~6kms one way). So, majority of miles are from weekend and outstation trips.

But, I have to admit, every time I drive this car, it puts a smile on my face. Never runs out of breath.
Commute to work is where my major mileage comes from.
My daily round trip to work is 60 KM

Apart from that there were a lot of Mumbai, Pune, Goa trips, so ideally one round trip to Mumbai / Pune is approximately 2000 KM
Old 18th March 2013, 18:50   #5871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Quote:
Dude.. 50010kms is just too much!! I mean from do u manage time to drive?
(No disrespect Shantanu ) Aniket, you are asking the wrong person. Our very own Mr. Gautam a.k.a. @mikon is the person you should be asking that question.

Last I heard he was nearing the 60k mark - this for a 22+ month old Vento.

And the icing on the cake? Farthest location traversed by his Tdi is a piddy Pune-Goa trip. No Bangalore trips, no Delhi or Ladakh or any other far - away place

P.s. I have a strong suspicion that there is something wrong with his odometer - it just clocks double the number of kilometers :P
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 20:16   #5872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Just out of curiosity I'm asking this. What is the maximum you guys have ever heard of the Vento? Any lac + kms by any of your friends?

Not that I'm going to do it, but to know how well the engine and the car ages. What could be Achilles Heel for the Vento over the long term?
Old 18th March 2013, 20:19   #5873
BHPian

Quote:

(No disrespect Shantanu ) Aniket, you are asking the wrong person. Our very own Mr. Gautam a.k.a. @mikon is the person you should be asking that question.

And the icing on the cake? Farthest location traversed by his Tdi is a piddy Pune-Goa trip. No Bangalore trips, no Delhi or Ladakh or any other far - away place

P.s. I have a strong suspicion that there is something wrong with his odometer - it just clocks double the number of kilometers :P
Respect! That is some serious mileage!!
Old 18th March 2013, 23:39   #5874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Just out of curiosity I'm asking this. What is the maximum you guys have ever heard of the Vento? Any lac + kms by any of your friends?

Not that I'm going to do it, but to know how well the engine and the car ages. What could be Achilles Heel for the Vento over the long term?
A friend's father-in-law has a Vento that had completed 75k around Nov 2012. Apparently this was from the first batch of Vento(s) produced - they had booked the car well before official bookings began. This was a office (private business) workhorse that sees a lot of kms on a daily basis - I'm assuming they would be nearing a lakh kms by now.

Got to drive it for a very short distance back then - the car felt as good as mine on all aspects. Engine responsiveness, overall suspension, (internal & external) body condition - nothing felt out of place, no squeaks or rattles. Couldn't get a lot of info (there was a wedding going on in the background), but basically nothing had gone wrong with the car (yet). Average service costs came to 10k approx.

Having said that, I don't think we can be assured that our car(s) will perform as good as that one. After all, this ain't a Toyota. But then expect the worst and hope for the best.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 11:29   #5875
BHPian

Vento went in for the regular check-up, engine-mounts, clutch hose-pipe are all changed. I'll put up a detailed report.

Quote:
......P.s. I have a strong suspicion that there is something wrong with his odometer - it just clocks double the number of kilometers :P
You forgot the Mumbai-Pune Trips & numerous local trips!
I dont drive just to increase the odometer reading. For me, its just a number.

@thoma : Love and maintain your car. It will easily cross 1L clicks !

Last edited by mikon : 19th March 2013 at 11:32.
mikon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 12:30   #5876

I have been contemplating buying a new sedan since December. Had short listed the Vento, Rapid, Verna, and Scala.

Since I stay at Santa Cruz, visited the VW Tornado Motors showroom near Milan subway. Had an absolutely appaling experience.

- We arrived at the showroom at 11:30 am approximately. No sales person came to meet us for almost 10 minutes, even though the showroom was empty.
- Finally, a female sales executive (I do not recall her name) came to meet us. To the point we were asked why were we here. "Test Drive? Wait..." and disappeared. We ideally would have wanted her to run us through the car features for the model in the showroom. Later, was the answer.
- The test drive was barely a 5 minute affair. Did not get a chance to push the car even beyond 1500 rpm because of traffic conditions. Was driving only in 2nd and 3rd for a few seconds. (I mean, whats the point of the TD for a turbo charged diesel car). In spite of specific requests that we will pay for the diesel, but we would want a longer test drive, the answer was a curt no. At the most, we can have 2 rounds on the same route. Crap.
- This was the first showroom and test drive, where the sales executive, instead of politely asking us whether the spouse would want to sit in the front seat or the back seat, just sat down in the front passenger seat. Mind you, we have visited other VW showrooms, as well as those of other companies, but have never had to deal with this kind of rudeness, where we are not only not given any option, but also not asked.
- Any questions during the test drive, were completely unanswered. For example, why does the car jerk during gear shift, how to operate the OVRM joystick, etc
- When we finally were back to the showroom, the sales executive just read off the features from the sales brochure. Not bothering to explain a thing.|
- Any questions about the booking, loans, etc were vaguely answered.

I was so put off by this experience, that I did decide to not buy the Vento at all. Lack of knowledge about the product you sell, lack of civility as a sales representative; not traits that one would take well. Not something one would expect from a globally renowned brand like VW.
Was extremely disappointed with the whole experience. What was even worse, I sent a mail to the showroom manager Amit about the experience, but there wasnt any reponse from their end.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:36   #5877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishtrivedi View Post
I have been contemplating buying a new sedan since December. Had short listed the Vento, Rapid, Verna, and Scala.

Since I stay at Santa Cruz, visited the VW Tornado Motors showroom near Milan subway. Had an absolutely appaling experience.
Not sure if this kind of behavior happens only in bigger cities. Because when I visited the VW showroom in my city (Thrissur, Kerala), the experience was extremely pleasant. On entry, a staff greeted us and took us to the customer lounge, and quite immediately another lady offered us water/soft drinks. They asked on the model which we are interested in, and encouraged us to check around the cars on display. Within a few minutes the assigned Sales Consultant introduced himself, and started with explaining the features of Vento highline, and then the Jetta. My 4 year old girl was checking around some of the cars by her own, and the staff was so accommodating even with her questions

When I asked for a TD, the sales consultant said it may take 10-15 mins for the TD car to return (from another test drive). And since it was close to lunchtime, he offered to bring the car to our apartment that afternoon / next day. And next day during the TD, he suggested that I choose a route with a mix of traffic and open roads, and he was explaining the features in between without getting overly intrusive. There was no pressure to go on a fixed route or to do a shorter TD.

Overall, I was very impressed with their professionalism.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:53   #5878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishtrivedi View Post
I was so put off by this experience, that I did decide to not buy the Vento at all. Lack of knowledge about the product you sell, lack of civility as a sales representative; not traits that one would take well. Not something one would expect from a globally renowned brand like VW.
Was extremely disappointed with the whole experience. What was even worse, I sent a mail to the showroom manager Amit about the experience, but there wasnt any reponse from their end.
Some of the dealerships are run by absolute Morons, but I would still tell you to give the Car another shot in some other dealership. You will love it.

Its much better than the Verna and Scala if you are looking for a driver's delight. The Verna on the other hand is good on the features and gadgets part. and Scala strictly for chauffeur driven cars
Old 19th March 2013, 23:11   #5879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Not sure if this kind of behavior happens only in bigger cities. Because when I visited the VW showroom in my city (Thrissur, Kerala), the experience was extremely pleasant. On entry, a staff greeted us and took us to the customer lounge, and quite immediately another lady offered us water/soft drinks. They asked on the model which we are interested in, and encouraged us to check around the cars on display. Within a few minutes the assigned Sales Consultant introduced himself, and started with explaining the features of Vento highline, and then the Jetta. My 4 year old girl was checking around some of the cars by her own, and the staff was so accommodating even with her questions

When I asked for a TD, the sales consultant said it may take 10-15 mins for the TD car to return (from another test drive). And since it was close to lunchtime, he offered to bring the car to our apartment that afternoon / next day. And next day during the TD, he suggested that I choose a route with a mix of traffic and open roads, and he was explaining the features in between without getting overly intrusive. There was no pressure to go on a fixed route or to do a shorter TD.

Overall, I was very impressed with their professionalism.
Phoenix cars has good sales teams in their Calicut and Thrissur showrooms. When I test drove the Polo soon after it was launched (and I was only 20 then - not quite the typical prospective customer) I was encouraged to drive the car as much as I wanted to, and both in city and on the highway. Don't know about service, though.
But EVM, the Kochi dealer is not as nice; they have some of that typical VW haughtyness. They did unlock the Beetle for my sister, though.

Last edited by one-77 : 19th March 2013 at 23:13.
Old 20th March 2013, 17:26   #5880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Quote:
A friend's father-in-law has a Vento that had completed 75k around Nov 2012.
There is a Vento TDI in Kolkata which has run over 80K now nearing 90K I think. I haven't seen it personally but as per the SA (so needs to be verified independently) there are absolutely no issues with the car. It had met with one accident only till now but otherwise no niggles. The engine runs as smooth as ever. I would love to meet the owner if I can at the service center but it seems it is mostly running on the highways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks