Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 12:07   #6046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I am surprised by hearing about the the performance of Vento AC, whereas Polo's manual AC is just chiller. There are many Polo ownership threads on the forum as well which also indicate the same about the Polo's AC.

Guys, if you can then try to observe the Polo's AC. I think the compressor of both the cars should be same and the major difference is only controls. So IMO some different combination of settings in the auto AC of Vento may help you (read manual settings). recirculation mode is crucial thing, please also try to observe the difference while turning on and off the recirculation.
The cooling area and the number of transparent glasses is also more in Vento
Old 17th April 2013, 12:26   #6047
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
The cooling area and the number of transparent glasses is also more in Vento
Just 2 extra quater glass. The Cubic capacity of the cabin would not be so much different from the POLO.

If polo AC is a chiller, i am very sure the same can be achieved in the Vento.

Any feedback from the trendline ventos? they have the manual AC. That we can isolate the issue with ACC (which could be corrected via SW)
Old 17th April 2013, 13:10   #6048
BANNED

The Limited edition Vento Style has been launched and it has the better looking Alloy Wheels (the same as the ones on the pre 2012 refresh). That is probably the only incentive to buy this edition!!
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-ventstyl.jpg

Last edited by agambhandari : 17th April 2013 at 13:17.
Old 17th April 2013, 13:20   #6049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Just 2 extra quater glass. The Cubic capacity of the cabin would not be so much different from the POLO.

If polo AC is a chiller, i am very sure the same can be achieved in the Vento.

Any feedback from the trendline ventos? they have the manual AC. That we can isolate the issue with ACC (which could be corrected via SW)
If we are talking about Manual AC, then the same can be achieved in Vento as well. Always keep the ACC temperature to "Low" and the cabin is chilled. I tried this on my drive back from Pune on Monday, when the temperature outside was 39 degrees celcius
Old 17th April 2013, 13:35   #6050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
If we are talking about Manual AC, then the same can be achieved in Vento as well. Always keep the ACC temperature to "Low" and the cabin is chilled. I tried this on my drive back from Pune on Monday, when the temperature outside was 39 degrees celcius
Actually from a city usage perspective, the question is how much time it takes for the cabin to become comfortable, esp at the back on a hot day when the car was parked outside. I've never been at the back seat in my vento but even on driver's seat it usually would take about 10-15 mins before it was comfortable enough in Bangalore heat (about 36 outside).

The difference in city is start stop nature of traffic hence A/C has to work overtime (or it should be strong enough). On a highway once you get going, car should get cooler progressively.
Old 17th April 2013, 14:09   #6051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Actually from a city usage perspective, the question is how much time it takes for the cabin to become comfortable, esp at the back on a hot day when the car was parked outside. I've never been at the back seat in my vento but even on driver's seat it usually would take about 10-15 mins before it was comfortable enough in Bangalore heat (about 36 outside).

The difference in city is start stop nature of traffic hence A/C has to work overtime (or it should be strong enough). On a highway once you get going, car should get cooler progressively.
True, but what I was trying to highlight here is, when comparing with the manual AC, which is always on "Low" we should get to the same temperature in Climate Control and compare
Old 17th April 2013, 18:06   #6052
Distinguished - BHPian

Thereis no real issue with the chilling capability of the Vento AC but the unit itself is prone to failure. My HVAC unit was changed once under warranty, thankfully at around 20 months of ownership (warranty expired in 2 years). After the replacement no issues so far but earlier I had a serious air flow obstruction.

Automatic AC can easily be overridden by using the knob controls. That is not really a constraint to cooling.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 18:44   #6053
Senior - BHPian

Had a drive down to the dealership to checkout the music quality and the AC. The sound quality through USB was not exceptional like my Superb but more in the range like the Fortuner, so no major gripe there. Also checked out the AC and found it to be satisfactory for a VW group car though no match against the Toyota.
Old 17th April 2013, 19:44   #6054
Senior - BHPian

Vento's AC is not great in cooling fast unless the ACC is turned to "LO" but its superb in maintaining temp over a long duration . The ACC is tuned to gradually lower the temp thats why the blower seldom reaches full blast mode, even if the temp differential between ambient temp and desired temp is quite wide. This is of course unless there is manual intervention and its unlike the way ACC functions in say a Swift .
For Chennai kind of hot weather, the ideal way of cooling faster would would be to switch the ACC to "LO" mode, manually shut down "ventilation" and switch to "circulation" mode and let the AC run with the windows rolled down an inch or two for 3-4 minutes .
souravc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 23:13   #6055
BHPian

For fellow Vento owners, especially those who are based in TVM and get their cars serviced at EVM Trivandrum:

I have heard about a firmware update a few months ago on these forums that enables the use of the recirculate function in Auto mode of the ACC.

However, even after my second service, I still do not have that functionality.

I am wondering if that update was request only or mandatory, and if the latter, why my car was not given it.

Is there anyone I can contact at EVM TVM in this regard?

Also, is there anyone who goes to EVM TVM who feels that they are not getting updates (hard and soft - such as the seat/engine mounts and the ACC one above) that they are eligible for, and do you feel that EVM could be more transparent on these issues?

For instance, when I talked to the SA on sending in the car for service, and asked him to do any updates that were called for, all I got was a dismissive response, and I do not see that my car has received any software updates since I bought it.

Last edited by pillainp : 17th April 2013 at 23:17.
Old 19th April 2013, 11:35   #6056
BHPian

yesterday visited Volkswagen dealership for test drive of vento. In the brochure, i found that they are providing "windscreen in heat insulating glass" and "heat insulating glass for for side and rear windows". And they are green-tinted.

this feature is also available in polo. is this a new feature? is this one similar to the windscreen on top end honda amzae?
Old 19th April 2013, 14:43   #6057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
this feature is also available in polo. is this a new feature? is this one similar to the windscreen on top end honda amzae?
Nothing new about it. It was always there.

Though you can't expect it to be as good as good quality sunfilms from 3m etc. Vento has a very greenish tint.
Old 19th April 2013, 16:22   #6058
BHPian

Hi BHPIANS

I had faced a peculiar a/c condition last year where the climatronic system maintained the correct temperature it aaas set on +- 1 degree which was very good then all of a sudden it stopped keeping the car cool at the required temp and had to lower the temp further down . Upon comparing with another vento it was found that the grill temp was much warmer the other vento under similar condition. Everything wAs checked but no fault was noticed.
Then one mechanic decided to reset the system and ahoy the Ac started working perfectly
I don't know and neither have they been able to understand why did this happen. It's been 7 months since I did this.
Now it has started acting up again.

Advice
Old 19th April 2013, 19:35   #6059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F458 View Post
then all of a sudden it stopped keeping the car cool at the required temp and had to lower the temp further down
Isn't that how the AC works in Vento? The compressor keeps running when till the cabin temperature reaches to set temp, and then compressor turns off till the temp drops by 2 or so degrees (whatever is set by default).

Quote:
Upon comparing with another vento it was found that the grill temp was much warmer the other vento under similar condition. Everything wAs checked but no fault was noticed.
When the compressor is cut off, the temperature at grill will be warmer since no cool air is being thrown inside the cabin. So maybe when you guys checked the temperature, the compressor was running in one Vento and was off in another.
Old 19th April 2013, 20:37   #6060
Senior - BHPian

Can I get the 'dual feel' seat covers provided on the Vento Style as an accessory? Anyone know whether it is worth getting seat covers from Volkswagen or the Stanley art-leather ones?

Most Viewed