Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 18:55   #6106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
What did you buy Vento Limited edition? Petrol/Diesel? Its the Style variant correct?
Nope, its the normal Highline 2013 build.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 22:41   #6107
BHPian

Guys when I take my Vento over a speed breaker at 10-15kmph,the rear jumps up and comes down with a thud.Has anybody experienced this??
Old 30th April 2013, 23:00   #6108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Going by what you say, you were pretty close to the speedbreaker when you spotted it, and ABS seems to have worked just fine. So don't worry yourself about it. But do get your alignment checked up.

Just to get yourself used to the way ABS behaves and feels, find an open road and brake hard maybe 2-3 times so it doesn't startle you the next time.
My thoughts exactly. Your car seems to be fine. You just need to get used to the ABS system functioning.
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 00:31   #6109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Guys when I take my Vento over a speed breaker at 10-15kmph,the rear jumps up and comes down with a thud.Has anybody experienced this??
I too hear the thud/bang/whatever, when the rear lands on the ground, on going over speed breakers, unless it is dead slow. The thud is famous on this thread almost from the beginning, and I didn't want to think much about it after reading this post.

Or guys, is there any workaround?
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 07:13   #6110
BHPian

The suspension "hops" over some small speed breakers under zero load on the rear. I have two such breakers near my home. I have learnt that it hops only when you are within a certain speed range. Unfortunately, I'm used to driving at that speed over the breakers on my swift. So now I have to tell myself to go slower
It's unnerving at first, but its just the way suspension works, and it doesn't bother me anymore ( got the car last Friday, btw).
allajunaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 08:50   #6111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Or guys, is there any workaround?
You could try reducing the rear tyre pressure by a couple of PSI. That helps reduce the thud sound. VW has recommended lower pressures in the rear tyres for both loaded and unloaded situations (The values are stickered on the fuel lid).
nileshch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 08:56   #6112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
You could try reducing the rear tyre pressure by a couple of PSI. That helps reduce the thud sound. VW has recommended lower pressures in the rear tyres for both loaded and unloaded situations (The values are stickered on the fuel lid).
Does it work really?

I thought this thud is just one of Vento features that we have to put up with whatever may be. It startles everyone around whenever it happens (I try to drive at dead slow speeds yet sometimes can hear it). My wife, if shes there, then chides me to drive slow By the way I keep around 33 psi in all 4 tyres.
Old 1st May 2013, 09:14   #6113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Does it work really?

I thought this thud is just one of Vento features that we have to put up with whatever may be. It startles everyone around whenever it happens (I try to drive at dead slow speeds yet sometimes can hear it). My wife, if shes there, then chides me to drive slow By the way I keep around 33 psi in all 4 tyres.
While it doesn't eliminate the thud completely, it softens it down. I have done this, though I anyway drive slowly over speed breakers.
Old 1st May 2013, 10:17   #6114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Does it work really?

I thought this thud is just one of Vento features that we have to put up with whatever may be. It startles everyone around whenever it happens (I try to drive at dead slow speeds yet sometimes can hear it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
While it doesn't eliminate the thud completely, it softens it down. I have done this, though I anyway drive slowly over speed breakers.
Keeping the tire pressure down will allow the air in the tires to absorb some of the impact in making the rear of the car go up. I am assuming that the thud occurs when the wheels travel to their bottom end - just like if a car lifted in the workshop had kept the wheels compressed (imaginary) and then the wheels alone are left free to gravity all of a sudden. And not the other way round - the wheels traveling to the top end, compressing the springs. If that is the case, I assume, that taking her over bumps at higher speed could also reduce the rear to get lifted up and then the wheels will not be falling down till the end after the bump.

Either way, my workaround is to take her at dead slow speeds over bumps.
Old 1st May 2013, 10:41   #6115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Keeping the tire pressure down will allow the air in the tires to absorb some of the impact in making the rear of the car go up. I am assuming that the thud occurs when the wheels travel to their bottom end - just like if a car lifted in the workshop had kept the wheels compressed (imaginary) and then the wheels alone are left free to gravity all of a sudden. And not the other way round - the wheels traveling to the top end, compressing the springs. If that is the case, I assume, that taking her over bumps at higher speed could also reduce the rear to get lifted up and then the wheels will not be falling down till the end after the bump.

Either way, my workaround is to take her at dead slow speeds over bumps.
You are right. Also, I am guessing (in a completely non-scientific way!) that the Vento's posture is a little forward drooping due to the taller & relatively stiff suspension in the rear. The longer tyre travel also may be a reason for the thud (and hence the lower recommended pressures in the rear tyres). We don't see a lot of Polo owners complaining about the thud, do we?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vwvento03.jpg

Also the fact is, we all tend to fill the tyres to a higher pressure. Earlier, with the lure of better FE I've had pressures of 34-36 psi, only to realise that the thud increases dramatically and the ride also becomes uncomfortable. These days, I go with the recommended tyre pressures.

Last edited by nileshch : 1st May 2013 at 10:43.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 19:48   #6116
BHPian

I have a neighbor with Fiesta, which bottoms at bumps and mine thuds.

How much does it have to do with load? I drive alone with minimal load most of the time and keep all round 32 ( is it too low ? ), the thud is not there, and at speed bumps, I slow down every time. Above 32, even if i slow down, some times the thud does come (with no load). Due you still get the thud with heavy load ? I haven't had the opportunity to test it.

Last edited by stringbh : 1st May 2013 at 19:52.
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:13   #6117
BHPian

Help wanted please! I took delivery of my new Vento yesterday. Showroom was on leave and I had to finish the paper work a day ahead. On delivery, I found to my shock that the user manual says POLO . The images too show only the hatchback. When asked the people at VW say the manual is common. Is it so?
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:32   #6118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Help wanted please! I took delivery of my new Vento yesterday. Showroom was on leave and I had to finish the paper work a day ahead. On delivery, I found to my shock that the user manual says POLO . The images too show only the hatchback. When asked the people at VW say the manual is common. Is it so?
The cover on my car's manual says both Polo,Vento.

Theres a pic in my ownership thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...to-manuals.jpg

I'll check if it is common for both. I think earlier when Vento was launched it was the same manual for both.

Last edited by joslicx : 2nd May 2013 at 16:33.
Old 2nd May 2013, 17:03   #6119
BHPian

@Joslix but the one i got says POLO.
Old 2nd May 2013, 17:08   #6120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
@Joslix but the one i got says POLO.
Maybe because the Vento is known as Polo in Russia

Most Viewed