Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2013, 11:35   #6346
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

This is very fishy indeed. VW at times may back out certain features ( My dad's car came without the Metal inset on the steering wheel, it was specific to that batch).
But this sounds very fishy. Especially the fact that they are using Older Alloys.
Could it be that they are using the new car, but swapped out the parts alone? This sounds even more scary
Come to think of it, there is another way to check. Older Vento's had the motion sensor (Check VW interior pics near front lights). This was removed in the subsequent versions.
Also, the front interior lights were 3 bulbs in the older version ( Center light, plus left and right front passenger "map" lights). Newer cars come with a simple front light (1 Bulb).
The central arm rest on the older ventos were significantly longer than the new ones ( Older one was so long that you cannot operate the hand brakes, newer ones are shorter, so handbrakes can still be used with hand rest down).
Also, the front cubby holes (below auto AC controls) are of different design between old and new. Older ones were having same design as the ones in Polo TSi. Newer ones have same design as Polo Highline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
Oh I forgot one more thing,they have actually received the latest booked cars without these features.
I forgot to mention that even the alloy wheel design is of the previous 5spoke type.
I can't travel to this other showroom to see the car as it is a potential 5-6 hr drive one way and I can't afford to leave office for a day just to see a car.

Any other suggestions are welcome to negate my worries.
allajunaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 11:57   #6347
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your advice people(it shows the Tbhp spirit).

I have voluntarily not gone for the fully loaded scheme. I was just offered free first year zero dep insurance and buying the car by a combination of a car loan and cash 50:50.

I have taken up the matter to VW and they will in most probability call me by tomorrow which I am willing to wait to resolve the entire issue.

The dealer is Ramani cars Private Limited aka Volkswagen Salem and Volkswagen Coimbatore.

Fingers and toes crossed....

I am buying this car on my(and my to be wife's) birthday(same day). I don't want to mess it up and make it something to remember forever.
If we cannot come to a satisfactory resolution,I will ditch the dealer and look for other options.(the new Octavia is coming in August right?)
Old 28th July 2013, 12:10   #6348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
Oh I forgot one more thing,they have actually received the latest booked cars without these features.
I forgot to mention that even the alloy wheel design is of the previous 5spoke type.

I complained on the vw website and they had a guy from the same dealership call me.(I'm currently banging my head on the hardest wall I can find).

They have found a car in my spec and color from another showroom owned by the same company with these features.i confirmed the date of manufacture as June 2013 from the VIN number(thanks to T-bhp),so that's not too old.i have asked them to send photographs of the car in an as-is-where-is condition and a scan of the form 22 to confirm the same.

I am having the car transported from the other showroom to the original by VW's own flatbed truck which is used for roadside assistance.(at a small nominal cost)

I can't travel to this other showroom to see the car as it is a potential 5-6 hr drive one way and I can't afford to leave office for a day just to see a car.

Any other suggestions are welcome to negate my worries.
VV Downtown has few 2012 models in their yards, they tried hard to sell one for me for a few thousand discounts. Are you getting one from them ?

AFAIK, all the HL models from Dec 2011 comes with Steering Mounted Controls with Bluetooth option and also RCD 320 HU.
Old 28th July 2013, 13:18   #6349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
AFAIK, all the HL models from Dec 2011 comes with Steering Mounted Controls with Bluetooth option and also RCD 320 HU.
December 2012 and January 2013 Diesel HL models are fitted with RCD 310 units and not RCD 320 units. Don't know about other months.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2013 at 11:50. Reason: December corrected from 2011 to 2013, Jan from 2012 to 2013
IndianGuardian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 13:26   #6350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianGuardian View Post

December 2011 and January 2012 Diesel HL models are fitted with RCD 310 units and not RCD 320 units. Don't know about other months.
Actually the RCD 310 continued till Jan 2013. The RCD 320 with Bluetooth but no parking display came in Feb 2013.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 13:59   #6351
BHPian

Hi guys,

My front windshield has developed huge cracks on my 2012 Vento TDi HL, since I and the driver both drive the car - it's unclear how it happened... driver claims it happened because of the heat... though I think it could even be a pebble or debris which came flying into the windshield while driving (At high speeds!).

Visited the ASC, they say we can file a warranty claim - but VW will review it and will take 10 days or so.... other option is claim insurance or pay full cost i.e. Rs. 9,500...

What do you guys suggest? Is VW likely to buy into the driver's story and give a free replacement?
Old 28th July 2013, 14:05   #6352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
What do you guys suggest? Is VW likely to buy into the driver's story and give a free replacement?
What choice do you have here ? Don't think there are two ways available. Put it under the claim and fight for it in case VW comes back saying this is due to your negligence. Let them prove it. I'm sure they will have to accept the claim. There are cases with VW which clearly indicates the more noise you make, more the chances that they will listen to you and capitulate.
Old 28th July 2013, 14:43   #6353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianGuardian View Post
December 2011 and January 2012 Diesel HL models are fitted with RCD 310 units and not RCD 320 units. Don't know about other months.
Oops sorry, it should have been Dec 2012 but wrote 2011 by mistake
Old 28th July 2013, 15:21   #6354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
What choice do you have here ? Don't think there are two ways available. Put it under the claim and fight for it in case VW comes back saying this is due to your negligence. Let them prove it. I'm sure they will have to accept the claim. There are cases with VW which clearly indicates the more noise you make, more the chances that they will listen to you and capitulate.
Well, the choice was to wait 10 days or get it fixed immediately paying upfront. I think I will submit a claim and see what VW has to say.

Since, I have been fairly inactive on BHP for the last few months, I had a couple of questions for fellow Vento owners -

1. What is the FE you guys get on an average driving in city with traffic? I do daily 70 kms in fair amount of traffic (with odd stretches of no traffic) - maintain speeds ranging from 40-80kmph. I've only got an average of 11-13 since I got the car a year ago, service center folks say that's very normal - they perhaps aren't aware of the fantastic figures BHP'ians are getting on their Ventos.

2. What's the right time to replace tires? I have completed 21,000 kms and the wear is not too significant but, it's there - given the horrible road conditions - that's obvious. Would be looking to upsize whenever I upgrade, please suggest a suitable time period. Right now the car has Apollo Accellers.

3. What's the right time to top up Engine Oil? 22,500kms I believe? Last top up was done during the first service @ 15,000 kms.

4. Noticing hardening of the clutch and also vibration when the car is in start-stop traffic - needs a check?

5. Have a 15 inch long deep scratch on the rear right pax door - thanks to an auto-rickshaw, any estimates as to how much would it cost to get rid of this? It's not a dent, just a nasty deep scratch - probably requires repainting of the entire door.

6. Any clue about the price of the Vento's antenna assembly (stubby plus stubby holder which is fitted onto the roof)? Someone stole mine - it was found ripped off completely one fine morning, sad that someone would actually steal the entire assembly!
Old 28th July 2013, 15:56   #6355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the choice was to wait 10 days or get it fixed immediately paying upfront. I think I will submit a claim and see what VW has to say.
If you are in no hurry to get it repaired, try if VW can replace it FOC. Seems impossible. Claiming insurance will void your No Claim Bonus for next year.

Quote:
1. What is the FE you guys get on an average driving in city with traffic? I do daily 70 kms in fair amount of traffic (with odd stretches of no traffic) - maintain speeds ranging from 40-80kmph. I've only got an average of 11-13 since I got the car a year ago, service center folks say that's very normal - they perhaps aren't aware of the fantastic figures BHP'ians are getting on their Ventos.
FE is perfectly normal. On highways you can expect 20+ if you drive steadily at 70 Kmph and with pedal to the metal 16 Kmpl.

Quote:
2. What's the right time to replace tires? I have completed 21,000 kms and the wear is not too significant but, it's there - given the horrible road conditions - that's obvious. Would be looking to upsize whenever I upgrade, please suggest a suitable time period. Right now the car has Apollo Accellers.
Till tyres thread dont reach 2 mm depth, no need to replace. Keep rotating tyres at 5000 kms and also get them balanced, as it will enhance the life. At most use a tyre max for 5 years in case running is not that much.

If you wish to upgrade go for 195 60 R15. The size is available in Michelin Primary LC, Yokohama C drives and Continental CPC2. Later being the favorite among the bhpains.

Quote:
3. What's the right time to top up Engine Oil? 22,500kms I believe? Last top up was done during the first service @ 15,000 kms.
Have a look at the oil dipstick and see if its below level B. If so top up with 500 ml.

Quote:
4. Noticing hardening of the clutch and also vibration when the car is in start-stop traffic - needs a check?
Hard clutch is a known problem in 1.6 TDi. Few of us including me got the clutch hose pipe replaced which made clutch albeit smoother. You could ask your SA regarding it.

Quote:
5. Have a 15 inch long deep scratch on the rear right pax door - thanks to an auto-rickshaw, any estimates as to how much would it cost to get rid of this? It's not a dent, just a nasty deep scratch - probably requires repainting of the entire door.
If you claim insurance for windshield, have it done too at VW Workshop. As you would any way be losing NCB. Hoping you have a zero dep policy.

Quote:
6. Any clue about the price of the Vento's antenna assembly (stubby plus stubby holder which is fitted onto the roof)? Someone stole mine - it was found ripped off completely one fine morning, sad that someone would actually steal the entire assembly!
Call up VW workshop again for it. My suggestion, get VW Jetta Shark Fin antenna altogether. Since you have lost the holder doesn't makes sense to go in for the old style ones.

Only issue you will face with Shark Fin is that the connector wont match. You will need to remove it and splice the wire and install. Since connector in RCD antenna is different to that of Jetta. Not an issue. Your car will gain a bit in looks department.

Do let us know the outcome of all the work done.
Old 28th July 2013, 16:11   #6356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
If you are in no hurry to get it repaired, try if VW can replace it FOC. Seems impossible. Claiming insurance will void your No Claim Bonus for next year.
Been over 15 days living with the crack due to shortage of time and long ques at the service center, 10 days more won't hurt.

Quote:
FE is perfectly normal. On highways you can expect 20+ if you drive steadily at 70 Kmph and with pedal to the metal 16 Kmpl.
Sometimes, maybe I floor the pedal a little too much, long empty strecthes at 7AM does that to me... On a serious note, good to know that those figures aren't too off the charts.

Quote:
Till tyres thread dont reach 2 mm depth, no need to replace. Keep rotating tyres at 5000 kms and also get them balanced, as it will enhance the life. At most use a tyre max for 5 years in case running is not that much.
No the thread isn't that worn out yet, will probably take a call in time for the 30k service.

Quote:
If you wish to upgrade go for 195 60 R15. The size is available in Michelin Primary LC, Yokohama C drives and Continental CPC2. Later being the favorite among the bhpains.
Thanks!

Quote:
Have a look at the oil dipstick and see if its below level B. If so top up with 500 ml.
Shall do so, thanks!

Quote:
Hard clutch is a known problem in 1.6 TDi. Few of us including me got the clutch hose pipe replaced which made clutch albeit smoother. You could ask your SA regarding it.
The SA's just tend to ignore it as normal... but off late it has been getting harder along with vibration when car is in 1-2 gear, mostly during start-stop traffic. Could this also be duty to dirty insides? Had similar problems with by 2007 Camry, cleaning the Throttle body solved it!

Quote:
If you claim insurance for windshield, have it done too at VW Workshop. As you would any way be losing NCB. Hoping you have a zero dep policy.
Nope, don't have zeo dep, have to pay 50% for every claim

Quote:
Call up VW workshop again for it. My suggestion, get VW Jetta Shark Fin antenna altogether. Since you have lost the holder doesn't makes sense to go in for the old style ones.

Only issue you will face with Shark Fin is that the connector wont match. You will need to remove it and splice the wire and install. Since connector in RCD antenna is different to that of Jetta. Not an issue. Your car will gain a bit in looks department.

Do let us know the outcome of all the work done.
Any Vento currently with any BHPian which has the sharkfin? Will the ASC replace the antenna with the Shark Fin one? I think the sharkfin will void the warranty, anyone with experiences about the same?
Old 28th July 2013, 17:59   #6357
BHPian

Hi guys!

A new incident happen yesterday with my car. I could hear a hissing sound every time the car revved from 3500 rpm to lower rpms (while changing gears). The noise was coming from the left hand side of the car, I stopped on the western express highway to check the engine bay and to find that the ecu was touch the air filter and had come out of the bracket. So the engine vibrations where making the sound.

I called up Sid (from TOT) to figure out what to do and he said its a 2 min job to fix it.

Since the VW andheri service centre was very close by I thought let the pros handle it. So I went there at 6 pm. These guys were planning to shut down for the day. I request the receptionist to help me, explaining the problem and told her that it will take an engineer 2 min to fix this. I was kept waiting for 15 min till "Nandu" came. He reluctantly had a look at it and said the bracket thats holding the ecu has broken. You need to leave the car here. Shocked I said its a 15 min job to change the bracket. He said go open the job card before I touch it.

I again go back to the receptionist waiting for her to come out from her chat session for 5 mins to hear we are closed cant open the job card now. I told her look its 6.30 is an emergency and you please solve it, to which she replied " Sir it's not an emergency you can still drive your car".

Pissed off I send the snap to Sid to figure out what to do. To my amusement after looking at the snap he says the bracket dosnt seem to be broken and the ecu has moved to the left.

I tried fixing it it but in vain as the rain came. Thankfully a sardarji asked me to pull the car in the service area and calls Nandu. Nandu maintains his stand that the bracket is broken and sardarji asked him to put a cardboard to stop the ecu from touching the air filter.

Today morning I went back down figured out the mechanism and like Sid suggested I moved the ecu to the right and it clipped on.

I just don't understand why is it difficult for VW to get their service right. Are the engineers paid for a higher bill amount that they always suggest extra things.

The car is gonna complete one year in a month I don't wish to give the car for service there , has any one tried down town for VW service?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image3411488867.jpg

The snap I sent to Sid.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image628161930.jpg  

Old 28th July 2013, 20:26   #6358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've only got an average of 11-13 since I got the car a year ago, service center folks say that's very normal - they perhaps aren't aware of the fantastic figures BHP'ians are getting on their Ventos.
Just try a relaxed long drive for once. You will be amazed at how much, such a beast returns, under sedate driving conditions.
Old 28th July 2013, 21:02   #6359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
A new incident happen yesterday with my car. I could hear a hissing sound every time the car revved from 3500 rpm to lower rpms (while changing gears). The noise was coming from the left hand side of the car, I stopped on the western express highway to check the engine bay and to find that the ecu was touch the air filter and had come out of the bracket. So the engine vibrations where making the sound.

I called up Sid (from TOT) to figure out what to do and he said its a 2 min job to fix it.
Hi Blackbolt, looks like you got a remap done from ToT. If so please do elaborate about it.

Regarding your ordeal which workshop did you visit in Mumbai? VW Downtown workshop at Lalbaug has a good reputation among the bhpians. I get my Vento TDi serviced from Autobahn Motors Nerul which fairly has been a good experience.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2013 at 11:54. Reason: Splitting post between 2 threads.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 07:16   #6360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Hi Blackbolt, looks like you got a remap done from ToT. If so please do elaborate about it.

Regarding your ordeal which workshop did you visit in Mumbai? VW Downtown workshop at Lalbaug has a good reputation among the bhpians. I get my Vento TDi serviced from Autobahn Motors Nerul which fairly has been a good experience.
Thanks el lobo!

I visited the VW workshop in Andheri (Parsi panchayat road) one. I guess I will be visiting the Lalbaug workshop for my first year service.

I had briefly written about the mod from ToT earlier on this thread itself. Kryptonite has written on this topic in much detail and thought I dint have anything different to add to his exhaustive review and test

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the mod and I will try and answer them.

Cheers!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 29th July 2013 at 09:13. Reason: Fixed incorrect quote tags

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks