Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 09:49   #6361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post

I visited the VW workshop in Andheri (Parsi panchayat road) one. I guess I will be visiting the Lalbaug workshop for my first year service.
I had got my Vento serviced from VW Downtown at Lalbaug. The work done by them was excellent however what was extremely disappointing was the time they took for a routine service plus solving a few niggles and brake pad change. I had given the car to them on a Saturday and they returned it on Thursday.

With my 3rd service due soon (43000 kms done) I am in a dilemma as to where to get it done. If I go to the Nerul workshop they don't perform the work properly and Lalbaug takes too much time from where I reside. Perhaps convenience may win over efficiency!

Last edited by miharbe : 29th July 2013 at 09:54.
miharbe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 10:06   #6362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post

I had got my Vento serviced from VW Downtown at Lalbaug. The work done by them was excellent however what was extremely disappointing was the time they took for a routine service plus solving a few niggles and brake pad change. I had given the car to them on a Saturday and they returned it on Thursday.

With my 3rd service due soon (43000 kms done) I am in a dilemma as to where to get it done. If I go to the Nerul workshop they don't perform the work properly and Lalbaug takes too much time from where I reside. Perhaps convenience may win over efficiency!
If you can drive down to pune, then B.U. Bhandari service station at pune banglore highway is one of the best. I have done all my services since last three years here and the work done has been done perfectly at all times. I know two people from thane who get their car serviced here because of similar issues at thane service centre. Rest upto you!
Old 29th July 2013, 16:42   #6363
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I took delivery of my Silver Vento TDi Highline last Friday from VW palace cross. The whole experience right from TD’s, booking and delivery was smooth and hassle free thanks largely to Ravi, my sales advisor. I was allowed to test drive 3 cars after I complained that the clutch was a bit stiff on the first car. I had requested to inspect the car before it went for registration so they drove it down from the stock yard. Car was May 2013 make and was clean.
Since the Car came with most bells and whistles, the only ad-on’s were the following:

1. Changed to CPC2 195/60 R 15 from Stock Acelere’s 185/60 R15.
2. Kagu 3D Mats
3. Original Vento Door Sills
4. Philips 90/100 head lamps assembly
5. iPop door protectors
6. Silver Number Plates with Square fonts

I might go in for an upgrade of the OEM speakers (no Amp and Sub’s) since the OEM’s don’t match up to the one in my i20. Also I did not opt for the Garmin navigation system so reverse parking assist is limited to the beep which is bit inadequate considering that parking space in my apartment is very tight and lined with numerous pillars. I called VW to check if I am allowed to install aftermarket parking assist and they promptly informed that any aftermarket job would void warranty. So I might have to pick that Garmin piece eventually. Talk about buying the whole hog when all you want is a sausage

Gearshifts take a little getting used to and the clutch still feels on heavier side. The engine vibrations travel all the way to the clutch pedal when car is in idle (Is this normal?) Also the center armrest will require you change gears with your wrists instead of your forearm and my wrist started to hurt after frequent gear changes. So I don’t use the armrest for city drives. Not all that fun in stop go traffic but I am just leaning this car. What you will love though is the awesome torque that will continue to propel the car smoothly even if you take your foot off the accelerator to mildly apply the brakes. In fact on empty stretches the car will easily cruise at 50 Kmph speeds on 5th gear without your foot on the accelerator like a watered down cruise control Although this happens in all the gears (at different speeds off course), its best suited for higher gears. Where the car comes on its own is the Highway. This is a true Highway cruiser and that’s where I intend to drive it most. Feels solid and firmly planted even at highway speeds. Also, the ride quality significantly improved after the tyre upgrade. It feels like a duster on bad roads now. Overall, you can’t go wrong with this car.

Last edited by noopster : 29th July 2013 at 19:56. Reason: Please do not mention high speeds on the forum
Old 29th July 2013, 17:41   #6364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hishetty View Post
I took delivery of my Silver Vento TDi Highline last Friday from VW palace cross.
@hishetty - Congratulations ! & Welcome to the ever growing gang of Vento'pians !

Quote:
1. Changed to CPC2 195/60 R 15 from Stock Acelere’s 185/60 R15.
4. Philips 90/100 head lamps assembly

I called VW to check if I am allowed to install aftermarket parking assist and they promptly informed that any aftermarket job would void warranty. So I might have to pick that Garmin piece eventually.
- I was thinking 205/55 R 15 (+0.58%) is the right upsize. Any specific reason for the 195/60 R15 (+1.99%). More GC ?
- 'Void Warranty' would happen for Tyre Upsize & the Lights Assembly as well - Right ? Did you get it done at the showroom ?

I got the Garmin on mine for the same reason (was upgrading from a Hatch). Maps are good for those who do not know the route.
And during long distance runs, serves as automatic answer machine to 'How much more time Daddy ?'
My 2 cents & my reasons - The audible beeps are proving more useful than the Camera.
a) Camera is not immediately available as soon as car starts. The unit takes a while to start & be ready for use.
b) No audible input/visual 'mtr/cms' to impact displayed. & It is difficult(for me) to interpret real time distance from the display. Just serves as a warning. Not a precise parking aid.

Quote:
Also, the ride quality significantly improved after the tyre upgrade. It feels like a duster on bad roads now.
Come'on, Isn't the 'duster' reference an exaggeration ? It is quite tempting the way you describe it. I want to at-least present the car as fully-stock for the first service.

Cheers,

Last edited by DieselDon : 29th July 2013 at 17:45.
Old 29th July 2013, 18:51   #6365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
@hishetty - Congratulations ! & Welcome to the ever growing gang of Vento'pians !
Thanks DieselDon

Quote:
- I was thinking 205/55 R 15 (+0.58%) is the right upsize. Any specific reason for the 195/60 R15 (+1.99%). More GC ?
I was tempted to upgrade to 205/55 R15 for the drool factor alone but after going through various Team BHP posts and talking to owners who had upgraded, 195/60 R15 was the more sensible choice mostly because it has the least impact on FE and also the extra GC.

Quote:
- 'Void Warranty' would happen for Tyre Upsize & the Lights Assembly as well - Right ? Did you get it done at the showroom ?
I called my VW Sales rep and confirmed that upgrading to 195/60 R15 would not void warranty. Yes, the light assembly would void warranty but no wires are cut and you can always switch back to stock in case you run into issues

Quote:
I got the Garmin on mine for the same reason (was upgrading from a Hatch). Maps are good for those who do not know the route.
And during long distance runs, serves as automatic answer machine to 'How much more time Daddy ?'
My 2 cents & my reasons - The audible beeps are proving more useful than the Camera.
a) Camera is not immediately available as soon as car starts. The unit takes a while to start & be ready for use.
b) No audible input/visual 'mtr/cms' to impact displayed. & It is difficult(for me) to interpret real time distance from the display. Just serves as a warning. Not a precise parking aid.
Very valid points. I too did not find much value with this unit, so did not opt for it at the time of booking. But the audible beeps do not help with gauging the time to impact and so i started looking for an after market solution.

Quote:
Come'on, Isn't the 'duster' reference an exaggeration ? It is quite tempting the way you describe it. I want to at-least present the car as fully-stock for the first service.
Try to get your hands on a Vento that has been upgraded from stock rubber and you too will be surprised with the ride quality difference. I chose Duster for the lack of a similar car in this segment to compare the new ride quality with.
Old 29th July 2013, 19:36   #6366
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks DieselDon

I was tempted to upgrade to 205/55 R15 for the drool factor alone but after going through various Team BHP posts and talking to owners who had upgraded, 195/60 R15 was the more sensible choice mostly because it has the least impact on FE and also the extra GC.

I called my VW Sales rep and confirmed that upgrading to 195/60 R15 would not void warranty. Yes, the light assembly would void warranty but no wires are cut and you can always switch back to stock in case you run into issues

Very valid points. I too did not find much value with this unit, so did not opt for it at the time of booking. But the audible beeps do not help with gauging the time to impact and so i started looking for an after market solution.

Try to get your hands on a Vento that has been upgraded from stock rubber and you too will be surprised with the ride quality difference. I chose Duster for the lack of a similar car in this segment to compare the new ride quality with.
I am getting my Polo Petrol HL from Palace cross in two days. My sales contact is not that great. He is very much against any change in the stock. Even this minor up size of 185/60/R15 to 195/60/R15 according to him will void warranty. I got a copy of the warranty from the sales representative and it doesn't specifically say anything about tyre up size. Even if the warranty voids, does that mean on the entire car or just the parts related to wheels/suspension assembly etc? What extend the probable effect on fuel efficiency of such an up size?

Why did you go for new headlight assembly? Is the stock not good enough? I have read somewhere else in the forum about the stock headlights deficiency.

Where did you get the mats from? and how much they cost?

Last edited by alexanish : 29th July 2013 at 19:38.
Old 29th July 2013, 21:16   #6367
BHPian

Quote:

I am getting delivery of my vento in a week. The dealer is installing a reverse camera with colour display on the rear view mirror. Something like what's provided oem on a verna. No warranty problems and the cost is under 5k. Press on the dealer and he should be able to do it himself.
click is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 21:29   #6368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
I am getting delivery of my vento in a week. The dealer is installing a reverse camera with colour display on the rear view mirror. Something like what's provided oem on a verna. No warranty problems and the cost is under 5k. Press on the dealer and he should be able to do it himself.
Thanks Click for the tip. I am shying away from the camera solution to avoid an extra hole on the bumper. Since the parking sensors are already there, i am looking for an IRVM unit which can connect to the existing sensors and a visual cue of the distance to impact is sufficient. If i don't find one, i will PM you for the details of your unit, if that's ok with you.
Old 29th July 2013, 21:36   #6369
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Click for the tip. I am shying away from the camera solution to avoid an extra hole on the bumper. Since the parking sensors are already there, i am looking for an IRVM unit which can connect to the existing sensors and a visual cue of the distance to impact is sufficient. If i don't find one, i will PM you for the details of your unit, if that's ok with you.
Sure not a problem, my dealer gave me options of three brands, Torq, dhc and rsr. Can't find much info on all three. But he showed me a Torq attached on a polo, the display was pretty good. I never thought about the hole, I thought there was some space in the boot to fit the camera like the passat/jetta. Will check.
Old 29th July 2013, 22:02   #6370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanish View Post
I am getting my Polo Petrol HL from Palace cross in two days. My sales contact is not that great. He is very much against any change in the stock. Even this minor up size of 185/60/R15 to 195/60/R15 according to him will void warranty. I got a copy of the warranty from the sales representative and it doesn't specifically say anything about tyre up size. Even if the warranty voids, does that mean on the entire car or just the parts related to wheels/suspension assembly etc? What extend the probable effect on fuel efficiency of such an up size?
The SA is playing it safe to make up for his ignorance. He cant go wrong with this kind of advice. Had you told him earlier-on that you are leaning away from the Vento because its not mod friendly, he would have been singing a different tune. About the FE part, I have prepared myself for a 1 KM drop in FE post the upgrade

Quote:
Why did you go for new headlight assembly? Is the stock not good enough? I have read somewhere else in the forum about the stock headlights deficiency.
I work late and my drive back home is mostly after 10. I have found the stock Osram 60/55W inadequate so upgraded to Phillips 100/90W with PMP relays. That's about the only change to the stock headlight assembly. I had done the same with my i20 Asta as well.

Quote:
Where did you get the mats from? and how much they cost?
From Car Shringar in JC Road, my go to guy for car accessories. Set me back by 5.5K. PM me if you need the coordinates.

Last edited by hishetty : 29th July 2013 at 22:04. Reason: added cost of 3D mats
hishetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 09:48   #6371
BHPian

Quote:
But the audible beeps do not help with gauging the time to impact and so i started looking for an after market solution.
I do have the reverse camera, but found myself relying more on the beeps for reversing. The beeps actually increase in frequency (number of beeps per second) and also becomes a continuous tone when really close to an obstacle. I found it good enough to gauge the time of impact.

- Prasad
Old 30th July 2013, 11:25   #6372
BHPian

I see myself doing the same over a period of time. It happened with my i20 as well. However until i get there i still believe this is one feature that wont hurt to have. Even after that it might save you a few heart burns esp if the goes for a spin without you on the wheels. That said, i am looking for a non intrusive solution that uses the existing OEM reverse sensors.

Last edited by hishetty : 30th July 2013 at 11:26. Reason: grammer corection
Old 30th July 2013, 13:57   #6373
BHPian

Quote:
I work late and my drive back home is mostly after 10. I have found the stock Osram 60/55W inadequate so upgraded to Phillips 100/90W with PMP relays. That's about the only change to the stock headlight assembly. I had done the same with my i20 Asta as well.

From Car Shringar in JC Road, my go to guy for car accessories. Set me back by 5.5K. PM me if you need the coordinates.
Can we do the headlight assembly change at dealership? Do they have higher grade lights like the one you have installed?

Have you seen the Star 3D mats in the shop?

http://www.carmatsindia.com/product_...ar_mats_88.htm

I see 5.5 is a bit high and if we get similar quality star 3D mat at 3.2 that would be great.

Please give me the directions anyways. I haven't so far seen any of these mats in person, so I will give a try.

Last edited by alexanish : 30th July 2013 at 14:05.
Old 30th July 2013, 14:27   #6374
BHPian

Dealership will point blank refuse any mods to the electrical system, so you are left with little choice but to look for an aftermarket job. The Star 3D mats were in fact available for 3.5K but the Kagu ones looked more premium and well rounded.

Car Shringar is in JC Road Opp. to Corporation Car Parking. Call 080-26708366 once you are in the vicinity and ask for directions.
hishetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 15:29   #6375
BHPian

Quote:

Can we do the headlight assembly change at dealership? Do they have higher grade lights like the one you have installed?

Have you seen the Star 3D mats in the shop?

http://www.carmatsindia.com/product_...ar_mats_88.htm

I see 5.5 is a bit high and if we get similar quality star 3D mat at 3.2 that would be great.

Please give me the directions anyways. I haven't so far seen any of these mats in person, so I will give a try.
Headlight assembly change is only after market. I upgraded my vento with projectors six months back and hid costing around 19k including everything. Every penny is worth it if you want to upgrade really and there are no cut-outs so no warranty is being voided. I have posted the pictures and other details in my ownership thread within team-bhp. You can reach out to kishlay.nikesh@gmail.com for more details.
nikesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed