Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 07:55   #6481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I don't think it is the belts or exhaust, as the sound is not present while idling or when the engine is revved up (guess the OP has checked so) in neutral.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 14:30   #6482
BHPian

I checked in daylight this morning. This wire dangling below which is supposedly the hand brake wire had come loose because of a broken bracket and was rubbing against the right rear wheel and there was a whiplash effect on the fuel tank. This would explain the noise we could hear.

The first pic below (taken from page 1 of this thread) shows the wire

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vwvento04.jpg

The following pictures show the temporary jugaad which i did. I simply took a choir rope and tied the wire/pipe to the rear axle in a tight knot. This ensured that it didnt move and i was able to drive the car till the workshop (VW Navi Mumbai now owned by Autobahn). The dark spots are where the tyre was rubbing against the pipe and the spots on the fuel tank is where there was a whiplash from the wire/pipe when in motion.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20130916_115710.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20130916_115746.jpg

However the real ordeal was to begin here. I went in and as usual was made to wait for 30 mins before some one came to assist me. They "tried" to identify the issue which took them another 30 mins another 30 mins to check if they have the part in stock (I wish i could place bets on everytime they dont have something in stock and i would be able to buy a Rolls Royce!). As expected they didnt and i was informed that if they order it today the earliest i can get is by the 24th or next month.

I dont understand this crappy system that VW has in place where the part has to be ordered as per your VIN number. I mean whatever happened to standardized manufacturing.

On realising this was going nowhere I called up a former colleague and friend who now works with VW's corporate office with the intention of getting an escalation point of contact. Coincidentally he works in the after sales department which is in charge of spares and other parts. Got him to speak to the showroom guys and the part has been ordered on priority.

As to the part in question its a bracket which seems to have broken and costs ~ INR 130. I will have them put it in warranty but dont think will create a big fuss given the amount.

I hope with fingers crossed that the part arrives soon because I am skeptical of using the car till the issue is sorted.

Will update once i have an update.

What a waste of 2 hours on a Monday morning!

Last edited by miharbe : 16th September 2013 at 14:33.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 20:44   #6483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
I hope with fingers crossed that the part arrives soon because I am skeptical of using the car till the issue is sorted.
So it is just an aluminium (or alloy of aluminium?) bracket that holds the wire that has broken. Do not worry. Your jugaad is more than good is what I believe. Just don't let the ends of the coir rope hang loose long enough. If it tears away during a journey, tie it again and use till the part arrives.
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 22:38   #6484
Senior - BHPian

Had been to VW service center for minor repair. I happened to check the new car price and came to know that VW have revised the prices. The Vento Highline TDi is now dearer by 50-60K(on road price in Bangalore is now 12.75).

The dealer told me that he can provide some cars at older price for about a week. Also there is good offers running and Vento Highline TDi, after which it is around 11.3-11.4 lac on road.
The dealer is offering below:
1.Cash discount + insurance+ Corporate discount=60K.
2.Loyalty Bonus(For existing VW customer)=20K
It looked as if he could give a bit more. The above offers are valid for revised price as well.
Vento with Discount before price revision=11.30-11.40 lacs
Vento with Discount after revised price=12.10-12.20 lacs

Was very much tempted to cancel my Ecosport booking and buy 2nd Vento. Only thing that is stopping me for now is fear of model change, given that Vento is now 3+years old. Anybody here have an idea how long would VW keep selling current Vento?
Old 17th September 2013, 00:45   #6485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Was very much tempted to cancel my Ecosport booking and buy 2nd Vento. Only thing that is stopping me for now is fear of model change, given that Vento is now 3+years old. Anybody here have an idea how long would VW keep selling current Vento?
Current Vento/Polo will be receiving facelift in May 2014. Only differentiating factor will be that the engine would be downsized to 1500 cc from the current 1600 cc to avail excise duty cut both in Polo and Vento. Nothing significant in facelift except engine.

Next generation Polo/Vento can be expected sometime around Q3-Q4 2015 which is a long time away almost 2 years. Unlike other brands VW doesn't discontinue a brand name, so Polo and Vento would always be there just facelift in May 2014 and next generation MQB based in Q3-Q4 2015.

You can go in with a Vento TDi knowing that it would be going strong for another 2.25 years and German cars age slowly, so even in 2015 your car would be still looking great.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 13:37   #6486
BHPian

Does the vento actually have a sticky/ rough gearbox? I don't know how to actually describe it, I took a TD of the vento a couple of weeks back, the car read 22k on the odo and when I drove the car I just felt that the gearbox was kinda sticky or scrubby ( I honestly dont know how to clearly describe it. It felt as if I was rubbing two pieces of sand paper against each other albeit gently though) the transmission did not seem smooth enough for my liking.
I immediately removed vento from my shortlist and concentrated on other options. But Nowhere did I find that strange feeling mentioned here at team-bhp and hence I decided it must have been an old car and hence took a TD again at another showroom. This time it was a brand new car, read 600 kms and the transmission was better. But I still felt that rough throw. I felt it in my colleagues figo also.
I am driving a swift vdi at present and is it because I am used to driving a car with a short slick throw that anything else feels quite alien?? Am concerned because I am not entirely convinced with the throw and it is a factor that takes this car out of the equation.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:01   #6487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.surgeon1985 View Post
Does the vento actually have a sticky/ rough gearbox? It felt as if I was rubbing two pieces of sand paper against each other albeit gently though) the transmission did not seem smooth enough for my liking.
Hmm..there seem to be a bit of fact associated with your observation. The shifting gates are really well defined in the Vento so effort wise, I need to put a bit more while shifting than in other brands. That means, it cannot be changed with a single finger, unlike in some other cars (more in case of shifting from 3rd to 4th and vice versa). The shifter on the Vento/Polo is rated one of the finest just because the gates are so accurate, I assume. But I have not felt like any rubbing of sand paper.

In the Micra/Sunny I hated the loose shifter initially, but eventually, the effort in shifting is found to be much less than on the Vento.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:29   #6488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
In the Micra/Sunny I hated the loose shifter initially, but eventually, the effort in shifting is found to be much less than on the Vento.
Agree with your observations, the gates in Vento are well defined and that is why people think that Vento's gearbox is a bit hard, an enthusiast will love the gearbox but common people do not.

A friend who owns a fluidic Verna said my Vento's gearbox is hard, i was shocked initially then understood why he said so, Verna has a geabox that gives the smooth mushy feeling while shifting and requires less effort.
Old 20th September 2013, 19:19   #6489
BHPian

Amazing review. You didn't missout literally anything in it. Its always a really confusing question to select between Vento/Rapid and Jetta/Laura. I wish you could have concluded with a Rapid -Vento comparison.
Old 20th September 2013, 20:33   #6490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am driving a swift vdi at present and is it because I am used to driving a car with a short slick throw that anything else feels quite alien??
Weird. The Vento diesel has a slightly hard clutch sure but the gearbox slots perfectly. Not that different from a Swift, I'd say.

Also, 22000 km does not make a car "old". There must have been something wrong with that car you drove. There are enough and more satisified Vento TDI customers on the forums and nobody's reported such an issue.
Old 21st September 2013, 09:24   #6491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Weird. The Vento diesel has a slightly hard clutch sure but the gearbox slots perfectly. Not that different from a Swift, I'd say.

Also, 22000 km does not make a car "old". There must have been something wrong with that car you drove. There are enough and more satisified Vento TDI customers on the forums and nobody's reported such an issue.
Probably addicted to the slick throw in swift that anything else feels unacceptable

By the way any idea on a AT version of diesel variant of vento/rapid in near future?
Old 21st September 2013, 14:36   #6492
Distinguished - BHPian

Nope, but a little birdie that visited the VW Chakan factory claims he saw a Vento with TSI badging and an automatic transmission which means it's possible the GT spec Polo will be extended to the sedan version as well soon. Fingers crossed!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 16:43   #6493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably addicted to the slick throw in swift that anything else feels unacceptable
The gears in Vento are very smooth. Engaging the reverse may come a bit difficult, none the less it has a very slick and short throw. The best I have come across.

Quote:
By the way any idea on a AT version of diesel variant of vento/rapid in near future?
Only the next generation MQB based Polo/Vento may sport AT in TDi avatar. But looks difficult as VW currently doesn't have a gearbox to handle 1.6 TDi 250 nm torque. Though 1.8 TSi has the same torque figures but 1.6 seems more brutal at generating it. Plonking Jetta DSG gearbox will send the prices out of the roof.

Lets see what VW has to offer in Q4'2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nope, but a little birdie that visited the VW Chakan factory claims he saw a Vento with TSI badging and an automatic transmission which means it's possible the GT spec Polo will be extended to the sedan version as well soon. Fingers crossed!
Makes perfect sense to put the 1.2 TSi replacing the old 1.6 NA MPi engine. VW/Skoda wouldn't also need to make two engines which saves space & cost. Also 1.2 TSi may get some benefits given its small engine cubic capacity and increased mileage.

More important car would become fantastic with torque coming as low as at 1550 rpm. Driveability would be far better.

Don't know if many of you would have noticed 1.6 TDi is more efficient in Vento 20.5 kmpl* compared to Polo GT's 19.7 kmpl*. Can anyone shed some light onto it.

*ARAI ratings.
Old 21st September 2013, 18:15   #6494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikz View Post
Amazing review. You didn't missout literally anything in it. Its always a really confusing question to select between Vento/Rapid and Jetta/Laura. I wish you could have concluded with a Rapid -Vento comparison.

I think in terms of choice between a Jetta and Laura, there can be some confusion but now with the new Octavia on its way, i think the Jetta will not stand a chance. The new Octavia is loaded like how and is expected to be 2L below the Jetta Highline in terms of price! I dont know how VW will justify the price they ask for the Jetta? Or we might finally see a properly kitted Jetta.
Old 21st September 2013, 19:21   #6495
BHPian

I drive in the city 90% of the time. Not a very aggressive driver, rarely touch 120's. But addicted to good engines ( have driven a baleno and a swift for the past 10 years) and thought a good diesel AT hatch / c segment sedan would suit my requirements but unfortunately I dont find a single car. Why aren't anyone coming up with good diesel AT that doesnt burn a hole in our pockets? Am sure as hell it would sell like hot cakes!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks