Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2014, 13:32   #6796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
How do you say it is fuel pump noise?
Its the same sound which comes when you put the ignition to ON and the fuel pump primes for a few seconds, what else could it be? Anyways, going to Skoda next week, no harm in getting it checked.
Old 4th January 2014, 14:12   #6797
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
...going to Skoda next week, no harm in getting it checked.
Regardless of what you feel may be the source of noise, since you are towards the end of warranty, leave the diagnosis to the ASS and insist that they give the car back to you without the noise.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 10:35   #6798
BHPian

My car is due for first service (15K kms). I got my car on 15th Jan last year. But my service appointment is on 18th Jan. Is this a problem? Also, kindly let me know the things I have to take note for my first service, based on your experience. Thanks in advance.
Old 7th January 2014, 17:23   #6799
BHPian

Sharing a short report of my trip in Vento TDi during christmas new year vacations

Kms covered: 3426 Kms (Odo was at 9832 kms when we started)

Route: Bangalore- Hubli- Ankola- Panaji- Karwar- Murudeshwar- Kasargode- Kozhikkode- Trivandrum- Thrissur- Nilambur- Mysore Bangalore
Ofcourse, there were a lot of local rounds at many places as the trip was spread over 15 days.

Fuel Economy: ~18kmpl. For the first ~1500kms economy was ~20.5kmpl. Thanks to narrow roads/traffic in kerala and bad Nilambur-Gudalur-Bandipur Road, it dropped badly.

No of days: 16 days, started on Dec 19th morning and reached back on Jan 03rd afternoon.

Review:
Steering: I am not a big fan electronic power steering and always felt hydraulic is better ( I am mechanical engineer). Still, for some reason i found Vento excellent over this trip. The steering was precise and also did give some 'feel', unlike some dead EPS vehicles that i have driven

Brakes: Though the brakes are confidence inspiring overall in terms of response, at couple ocassions in mysore road (sudden branking on seeing humps) i felt some resistance at the pedal and gave a feel as if it's not going stop soon, though in reality it stopped. In my entire trip, i felt it only couple times, hence not sure what the reason could be.

Driving Comfort: I'll put it short. I had a slight back ache when i started from bangalore, but it vanished after driving few hundred Kms . ofcourse i love driving, but credit to the car. I have found my right driving position.

Ground Clearance: Not even once did the bottom scratch...not even in the Gundulpet-Bandipur stretch (if you are aware of the current road condition)

Breakdowns, niggles, glitches: No Brake down, flat tires, no dents/scratches
But yes, there were 2 glitches:
1. Fuel lid refused to open on my request. It was scary, as the first time it happened, odo reading was 40kms to empty at a filling station late at night. After 15 mins struggle, lock-unlock, tap, hard tap..it finally opened. Next time, i didnt want to take a risk and stopped to fill at more than half tank left. It didnt open. Next day i drove into to Phoenix Cars, Thrissur (kerala). They replaced the part under warranty. It just took 1.5 hours (its not the labor but the warranty procedure that took time). Hats off to Phoenix Cars, they delighted me with their impromptu service (i just walked in and said i need it to be rectified to continue my journey).
Well, that was the only glitch.
2. Center A/C vents stop working if i change air blow position (say from face to leg or to windscreen). I understood that from Phoenix Cars, that they need to change the flap motors to rectify it permanently, but they did a temporary fix thru a manual reset. I plan to do this at my 15K service, which i am expecting before summer.

Not writing on the drive-ability, suspension, performance etc...as it is already known.

In short...a fantastic drive and loving this car more..
Old 7th January 2014, 23:05   #6800
BHPian

My dealer says the latest vento tdi highline one can get is july 2013 manufactured. I have made the downpayment but have yet not handed over the balance amount as i highly doubt the dealer's claim. Is this true?
Old 7th January 2014, 23:19   #6801
Senior - BHPian

The air circulation system is perfectly set up.

The leg /foot vents are used normally for heating up the cabin. The central vent closes/shuts down as it is uncomfortable to have hot air blowing in one's face.

The windscreen vents are typically used for de-misting and again to allow max air flow to the glass, the central vents are closed. Again based on atmospheric conditions the system's air temp for de misting could be higher / lower than what is considered comfortable.

Some vehicles will allow for the air flap position to be toggled to a 50:50 sort of position some do not, auto air con systems can vary the volume coming out of vents from 0 to 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
But yes, there were 2 glitches:
1. Fuel lid refused to open on my request.
Well, that was the only glitch.
2. Center A/C vents stop working if i change air blow position (say from face to leg or to windscreen). I understood that from Phoenix Cars, that they need to change the flap motors to rectify it permanently, but they did a temporary fix thru a manual reset. I plan to do this at my 15K service, which i am expecting before summer.
Old 8th January 2014, 13:55   #6802
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
My dealer says the latest vento tdi highline one can get is july 2013 manufactured. I have made the downpayment but have yet not handed over the balance amount as i highly doubt the dealer's claim. Is this true?
We have brought Sept and Oct HL TDI.. Also saw Nov'13 HL TDI..
Old 8th January 2014, 14:05   #6803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Hogwash. Head to a different dealer and get this "claim" validated. I think you might find a post-July Vento Tdi thread on the forum itself.
Old 8th January 2014, 14:13   #6804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hogwash. Head to a different dealer and get this "claim" validated. I think you might find a post-July Vento Tdi thread on the forum itself.

Thanks, already done. Since this was supposed to serve as third car and i can wait, i went ahead and booked a FY2014 produced car.
Old 8th January 2014, 16:00   #6805
BHPian

Thanks for the note. But my issue is that it's not working as intended.
Guess, i was not clear in my earlier post.

The Center A/C vent (just above the ICE din) are not working now. Regardless of what temperature or Air Blow position (face or Leg or Windscreen).
This can be brought back to normal working state by manual adjustment/reset by tapping on a flange/lever (guess its flap valve) below the dash, between steering column & center console (accessible from driver seat).
It works fine in Auto A/C or manual mode until i change the blow option from face to Leg or Face to windscreen.

I have read an exactly same issue in another vento (guess one in delhi), which was rectified after changing the part under warranty.
The issue is that i need drop the car at service station for 2 days, as its little labour intense job as they have to remove the dash completely and also the steering wheel.

I had dropped the car for rectifying this at Volkswagen Bangalore (Elite motors) before the trip to rectify this. They said it will take 2 days to replace under warranty and i said its OK as i wanted to get it corrected before my trip. They took 3 days and dropped the car back at my home. But, very next day the issue resurfaced when i changed the mode. And the cherry on the cake was the steering wheel alignment was lost (it was ~30deg offset on straight line drive) and greasy/stainy seat cover/door trim/dash (i didnt notice it much as they delivered the car at night).
I called and blasted the CRM, Service head. They apologized and sent a mechanic to my office (45kms from the service center) and rectified the steering misalignment and temporarily fixed the a/c issue (asked me not to change the mode in between..not even to demist!!!). After a fight they acknowledged that they didnt replace the part.
In short they kept my car at their place for 3 days and gave it back to me without doing anything significant (except for grease/stain application and steering mis alignment) and charging me 1000 bucks for GFF update & pick-up drop charges.
But i am happy with one fact- It's clear for me that i'll never take the car back to them.
Old 8th January 2014, 22:34   #6806
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vaibhav Jukar shares the following document (attached to this post) and email:

Vento Tips - Team-BHP.docx

Quote:
Team-BHP helped me a lot keeping my first car Alto lxi in great shape for 8 long years achieving 1.09 Lac Km on it. Before going for exchange. Recently (Dec 2013) I have booked the VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL. I must say this decision was highly influenced by your review and TeamBHP.

I have gathered information on Ventonian’s Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks thread. Senior members have been so generous for their time and tips for new Vento users. There is a list of tips & quirks, but I thought it would be great to have a word document which can be downloaded.

I created one as per my capability. All credits go to contributors of the above said thread. I just gathered and rearranged the information.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 09:14   #6807
BHPian

Vento 1.6 Petrol Mileage update

Hi,

I had been on a Bangalore-Mumbai-Bangalore trip recently in my 1.6 petrol Vento. I got a cumulative mileage (tankful-to-tankful method) of 14.4 kmpl for the 2400km I drove. This included about 2000km of highway (NH4) driving + 400km of city driving.

In the onward journey, I was maintaining a speed of about 100 kmph. The MID was consistently showing consumption between 18 to 19 kmpl. On my return journey, I was pushing to 120-130 kmph and the MID numbers dropped to 16 kmpl.

- Prasad
Old 17th January 2014, 17:17   #6808
BHPian

Hello everyone.

As I had posted earlier, I had changed the headlamp bulbs on my Vento TDI to Philips Extreme Vision, 60/55, as I didn't want any relays etc. The throw and intensity of the light were a huge step up from the stock bulbs but doubt remained about its effectiveness in less-than-ideal conditions.
Got a chance to test the bulbs' when I drove to the airport at 3 am to drop my parents. The entire route was clear except the last few kms approaching the airport. It was covered in extremely thick fog. Visibility was down to just a few meters and even the usual rash cabbies were driving below 50 kmph speed with hazard lights flashing.
The extreme vision bulbs were very effective and confidence inspiring with their light intensity and throw. It gets my vote for anyone wanting to upgrade their Vento headlamps without the headache of relays and warranty issues.

Also, while changing the head bulbs, I had damaged a parking bulb connector. Dropped in at VW service center, Rajajinagar, without any prior appointment/call and approached the QC manager, Mr. Alesh. He immediately took in my car and rectified the mess I had created, all in 30 mins flat and without any fuss. I was back on the road, a happy man. VW seems to be improving in their service quality levels and the Rajajinagar center has always lived up to my expectations. Touch wood!

Regards
ASVA
ASVA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 18:26   #6809
BHPian

Hallo Ventonians

My September 2013 Vento has completed 7000 kms & the 7500 kms free check up is fast approaching. I wanted to ask my fellow Ventonians if the VW service center performs this free check up according to a bulletin a la regular service or is this is a simple oil-coolant level visual inspection.
Old 17th January 2014, 20:48   #6810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Verruckt View Post
Hallo Ventonians

My September 2013 Vento has completed 7000 kms & the 7500 kms free check up is fast approaching. I wanted to ask my fellow Ventonians if the VW service center performs this free check up according to a bulletin a la regular service or is this is a simple oil-coolant level visual inspection.
Its a waste of time and you might find your car more soiled than anything else. Do basic fluid check - Brake oil , Engine oil. If you find engine oil level low, do a top up at the workshop (just ask for top up only)

Most Viewed