Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 01:26   #6826
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Took delivery of jan 2014 manufactured vento tdi highline today. Since ownership review is going to take some time, would like to share my views:

1. This car is coming as a replacement for swift vdi 2007, daily running is b/w 100-160kms. Hence, extended warranty taken.

2. The car doesnt have any sort of turbo lag, but after 2000rpm it really takes off. Engine very audible outside, but just a faint clatter can be heard inside. Power delivery is fantastic and if you are upgrading from a 1.3L MJD you'll have a smile plastered on your face. Frankly speaking i didnt even test drive any other car. After my recent purchase of jetta i knew i wasnt going to like a hyundai/honda.

3. Clutch travel is long, but not really an issue. I was comfortable within a few minutes. Since i sit with my seat pushed back completely i had no issues with centre console like some members have faced. I couldnt observe any sort of play/vibration on clutch pedal but i'll confirm that after spending some more time with the car.

4. Coming from a jetta it feels cramped in rear but since only front two seats are going to be used most of the time and for occasional rear passenger, space is adequate. I needed boot space so polo gt tdi wasn't even considered. Space max feature is good.

5. Interior quality is best in segment, everything feels build to last. The doors shut with a proper thud. The console is plain and simple which is good as i am not a fan of clustered consoles. Leatherette seats are okayish at best and being replaced by stanley leather by the end of the week.

6. Apollo tyres come as standard. Not a fan of the brand and as suggested by members, being upgraded tomorrow morning to 205/55 r15 s-drives. Spare wheel was a 14" steel rim and was replaced with oem alloy on delivery.

7. RCD 320 comes fitted from factory. Has all necessary features. Speakers are quite good for casual listening. That being said head unit is being replaced with blaupunkt 835 simply because of the way it upgrades the cabin feel.

8. Getting bulbs changed to philips extreme vision. Rear spoiler and door sill plates already fitted at dealer. Mudflaps have been removed as they spoil the look of the car for me. AC efficiency cannot be tested due to winters and only time will reveal its performance.

Oh, forgot to mention. Remap, supsension and brake upgrade coming next month.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image.jpg  

Last edited by ramneek009 : 21st January 2014 at 01:30.
ramneek009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 23:15   #6827
BHPian

Do all Volkswagen cars have NO LOCK at the back ?? Forget about something like a child-lock which I have on both my cars,I was astonished to find there is NO LOCK in Volkswagen Vento and Polo !! How does Volkswagen owners manage, who have naughty / slightly curious kids ??
Old 21st January 2014, 23:38   #6828
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Do all Volkswagen cars have NO LOCK at the back ?? Forget about something like a child-lock which I have on both my cars,I was astonished to find there is NO LOCK in Volkswagen Vento and Polo !! How does Volkswagen owners manage, who have naughty / slightly curious kids ??
No independent locks for the doors. But there's a provision for a child lock which can be enabled by inserting the key into the slot and turning them.

Here are some images posted in the forum before:

Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 23:39   #6829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Do all Volkswagen cars have NO LOCK at the back ??
If am not wrong, then there is a child lock in Vento on the rear doors, i have no clue about Polo, sure there must be one. All German/European cars dont have a separate door locking mechanism for rear doors - Vento, Linea, Punto, Ecosport etc.

I dont see a reason to worry if you can enable the child lock, no one would be able to open the door from inside + doors auto lock at 20 kph so no one would be able to open it from outside as well until the driver wishes so.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 23:55   #6830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
If am not wrong, then there is a child lock in Vento on the rear doors, i have no clue about Polo, sure there must be one. All German/European cars dont have a separate door locking mechanism for rear doors - Vento, Linea, Punto, Ecosport etc.

I dont see a reason to worry if you can enable the child lock, no one would be able to open the door from inside + doors auto lock at 20 kph so no one would be able to open it from outside as well until the driver wishes so.
Thanks a ton coolboy. My sis has got herself a white Polo and I got worried stiff because of her two small kids. I have owned Marutis and thus was completely lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
No independent locks for the doors. But there's a provision for a child lock which can be enabled by inserting the key into the slot and turning them.

Here are some images posted in the forum before:
Many many thanks Gannu for the information. I will try to activate the child lock as you have pointed out. Thanks so much,I am indebted to you.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th January 2014 at 15:41. Reason: Removing images from quoted post.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:19   #6831
BHPian

Howdy People, wanted to check with my fellow Ventonians about the new RCD 320 stereo system.

Is there a way to decrease the font size on the frontal display which shows information like the song name, album name etc? or is this is a limitation of this model ?

Reason I ask is because I find the font size to be larger than necessary which adversely impacts the display information due to which we need to SCROLL multiple times to see the required information.

For instance, I have a habit of saving the filenames on my SD card in a <filmname> - <songname> format (example : Zindagi Na Mile Dobara - Senorita). But due to the larger size of the font, most of the times the song names don't appear in one line & I end up using the SCROLL button many times to check the song name. Currently I use a workaround of naming the longer file names with initials (example, ZNMD).

Any ideas/suggestions/advise would be highly appreciated.
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:20   #6832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Verruckt View Post
For instance, I have a habit of saving the filenames on my SD card in a <filmname> - <songname> format (example : Zindagi Na Mile Dobara - Senorita). But due to the larger size of the font, most of the times the song names don't appear in one line & I end up using the SCROLL button many times to check the song name. Currently I use a workaround of naming the longer file names with initials (example, ZNMD).
I'm not sure about the specific answer. But why don't you arrange files in folders and sub folders and leaving the file with just its names? Most players have an option to skip/play folders.
Old 26th January 2014, 15:47   #6833
BHPian

Some interesting and encouraging statistics on mileage for Vento Tdi, based on a 6500 km trip I made in Oct/Nov 2013. We started from Kochi on 24 Oct, with odo reading 40207. I have attached the details at the points where diesel has been filled to full tank and the fuel economy calculated at that point along with the route taken and number of passengers. For 2 passengers the mileage is more than 21 kmpl. the travel has been through 2 lane (mostly) and 4 lane with a combination of very bad to very good roads.

The overall fuel consumption of 19.94 is indeed a very satisfactory news for me as a Vento owner.
Attached Files
File Type: docx mileage for Vento Tdi.docx (14.3 KB, 567 views)

Last edited by tomchacks : 26th January 2014 at 16:09.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:26   #6834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Verruckt View Post
Howdy People, wanted to check with my fellow Ventonians about the new RCD 320 stereo system.

Is there a way to decrease the font size on the frontal display which shows information like the song name, album name etc? or is this is a limitation of this model ?
You will not be able to adjust the font size. Scroll is the best way to know the file name!
Old 27th January 2014, 12:39   #6835
BHPian

During recent discussions, one of my friend who owns a Vento (Petrol) asked me if I face a problem in Rapid while climbing up the ramp.

The problem was, if you stop on parking ramp and then try to move up from the standstill, the car has tendency to go back and you have to rev really hard for the upward movement.
Another fellow who owns a Polo 1.6L MPI also faced similar issue.
I was a bit shocked as I never faced the issue with my Rapid TDI.

Took the Vento for test drive and lo, the car was extremely difficult to pull up from standstill.
Does any of other Vento/Polo Petrol members also facing similar issue?
Old 28th January 2014, 15:07   #6836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa
The problem was, if you stop on parking ramp and then try to move up from the standstill, the car has tendency to go back and you have to rev really hard for the upward movement.
Another fellow who owns a Polo 1.6L MPI also faced similar issue.
I was a bit shocked as I never faced the issue with my Rapid
MPI engine is significantly less torquey than the Tdi. I presume you need a lot more acceleration to gain the same momentum from standstill.

Having said that, my Vento is an AT and the "torque creep" in D more than makes up for gravity! So I never face this problem.
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 15:31   #6837
BHPian

I own a TDI HL and just releasing the clutch is more than enough to get moving even on an incline.
In fact the same is enough even in second gear from a standstill.

The MPI is a different ballgame.
Old 28th January 2014, 15:32   #6838
Senior - BHPian

On a cold Tdi engine, the problem is also present I think. Getting out of my basement garage, sometimes I go back down and need to have some momentum roll on. A petrol will rev easily and the right rev will do the work.
Old 28th January 2014, 16:43   #6839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Took the Vento for test drive and lo, the car was extremely difficult to pull up from standstill.
Does any of other Vento/Polo Petrol members also facing similar issue?
Simply put TDi makes more torque at low end which helps it in pulling easily over a steep climb. Let me put facts.

1.6 TDi torque : 250 Nm @ 1500-2500 rpm
1.6 MPi torque : 153 Nm @ 3800 rpm

A slight tap on accelerator of TDi would have rpm at 1500+ and 250 Nm torque would pull up weight easily. Now MPi unit with 153 Nm @ 3800 rpm would require a lot more rev to make it up steep climb. Any day TDi would be more easier to drive in & around city and on highway would be more fun than MPi.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 17:05   #6840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
On a cold Tdi engine, the problem is also present I think. Getting out of my basement garage, sometimes I go back down and need to have some momentum roll on. A petrol will rev easily and the right rev will do the work.
Doubt that - IMO this might have to do with your driving habits (?) - I do it on a daily basis, never had issues. Anyway, this (discussion) is really a moot point if you ask me (for both the MPI and tdi)

Fellow Ventonians,
Based on what parameters/indications did you go for the battery change? Getting a "feeling" that my battery could be up for change - only indication is a long(er) start required in the morning. But don't get this during the day, so could be just the cold mornings.

P.s. Request only those who have changed their batteries to revert to this query, others ignore maadi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks