Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2014, 18:57   #6856
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Wanted to get your inputs on an issue that I am facing. My TDI Vento has done 42,000kms in the last 3 years.

From last week, I hear a sound (a small 'tak' sound) when the steering turns 90 degrees each time. So if I am taking a U turn and turn the steering 180 degrees and back, the sound will come 4 times. Took the car to VW service on Sat and they removed the center piece of the steering (horn and airbag inside) and checked it all. There are 2 springs inside before the airbag unit and the sound is coming from those springs; probably when it touch the fibre or some where when it turns each 90 degrees.

They lubricated the unit and cleaned it and that didn't help. They said tried changing the spring and that too didn't help. They took a new kit (center new piece including the airbag) and tried it and then the sound was gone. Now since the car is not under warranty, changing the piece will cost around Rs 70,000 as it includes the airbag too.

Obviously, its a lot of money to remove a 'small and annoying' sound as according to them there is no functional issue with the steering or airbag. This unit cannot have an issue because of my usage and they agree to it. So they have asked me to get the car again for a day so that they can open a request with VW directly and get inputs from them by sending all diagnostics details and photos. If its a part issue, then VW might waive the amount.

I must say that I am satisfied with the dealer response so far (unlike some of the Skoda horror stories that we hear!!). Not sure what will be the story when I take it to them soon. Hope they continue it that way and there is a positive response.

Have any of you seen this or a similar issue?. Any suggestions on how to take it forward?. Any suggestions on any thing specific to be tried? Appreciate your comments and help!
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 13:57   #6857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Wanted to get your inputs on an issue that I am facing. My TDI Vento has done 42,000kms in the last 3 years.

Now since the car is not under warranty, changing the piece will cost around Rs 70,000 as it includes the airbag too.

Have any of you seen this or a similar issue?.
Would the steering part have been covered under extended warranty? If yes, it is an eye opener for everyone to always opt for extended warranty.
Old 7th February 2014, 19:02   #6858
BHPian

According to them, steering unit is part of warranty. But my car is out of warranty. It good to have warranty

They have ordered some part and a lubricant and it will come next week. So needs to take the car again so that they can try it. Will keep you posted.

Last edited by motorhead5 : 7th February 2014 at 19:03.
Old 7th February 2014, 21:27   #6859
Distinguished - BHPian

Vento coming with the newly developed 1.5 TDI?

Quote:
The standard Polo will get the 89bhp engine, whilst the more powerful 104bhp variant, expected with a variable-geometry-turbo (VGT), will power the Vento saloon and the 2014 Polo GT TDI.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ne-371840.aspx
Old 8th February 2014, 13:31   #6860
Distinguished - BHPian

Vento with 1.5 TDI Launch in May 2014?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-new2014volkswagenventofaceliftindia.jpg

Vento had been seen testing extensively in later part of 2013. And it seems clear now that Volkswagen was testing the new 1.5-litre TDI engine on the Vento, which is expected to launch in May-2014.

According to reports , the Vento and Polo facelift are expected. The exterior changes are expected to be minimal, with mildly tweaked bumper and headlights. And the interior too is expected to be tweaked as well and crucially will come with more equipment too.

However, the major change will be under the hood, the 1.6-litre TDI units will be replaced by a new 1.5-litre EA189 diesel engine, which is essentially a downsized version of the Vento’s EA189 1.6 TDI motor will make its debut in both Polo and Vento facelift.

The 1.5 TDI engine will come with 104bhp for Vento. With a cubic capacity below 1.5-litre’s, this new engine is eligible for the lower excise tax bracket for small cars.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th February 2014 at 14:00.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 11:18   #6861
Senior - BHPian

The overall quality level seems to be a notch down compared to the early models.
- The front individual map lights have been replaced by a single light. Single light looks mundane.
- The dual horn has been replaced by a single horn. The light switch in the previous versions had a chrome lining, this is missing.
- Felt the doors don't close as smoothly as in the earlier models. Highline Dashboard quality of material seems to be a notch less than the earlier models (2010 to 2012)
- Earlier 7 spoke alloy wheels looked better.
- The hand rest was irritating when driving, found myself twisting the wrist around the hand rest to get hold of the handbrake. So I raised the handrest up and the left elbow was banging against the handrest. It was a bit claustrophobic in the drivers seat.

On the positive side, the TDI engine is just a monster, just shoots forward at a slight tap on the gas even on 4th gear. Simply awesome. Hope they manage to retain the same 1.6 L TDI Power/Torque characteristics in the upcoming 1.5 TDI.
The rear seat recline angle felt better, seems they have corrected this and the rear seats seems more comfortable than in the previous versions.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th February 2014 at 11:24.
Old 9th February 2014, 11:36   #6862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The overall quality level seems to be a notch down compared to the early models.
I might be jumping the gun here, but I feel most of the below aspects are just cosmetic changes/habitual issues that aren't really that much a concern wrt the car as your first line indicates.

PFA my inputs.

Quote:
- The front individual map lights have been replaced by a single light. Single light looks mundane.
Agree - the dual switch has a nice functionality aspect on a day-to-day too. I feel this is a Rapid-based change - they were the first to bring this I believe.

Quote:
- The dual horn has been replaced by a single horn. The light switch in the previous versions had a chrome lining, this is missing.
The chrome lining issue had come up 2 years back; then it was a vendor issue which got resolved a few months later. Could be the same again (?)

Quote:
- Felt the doors don't close as smoothly as in the earlier models. Highline Dashboard quality of material seems to be a notch less than the earlier models (2010 to 2012)
Too much of a generalization. Might be just your opinion, or might be just a issue(?) with your car only. A lot of us felt the other's car always had better suspension. Few of the first generation Vento owners felt the RCD310 music system came with better speakers in the 2011 refreshed version. I felt otherwise. How many cars did you compare to?

Quote:
- Earlier 7 spoke alloy wheels looked better.
Well, can't do anything about that!

Quote:
- The hand rest was irritating when driving, found myself twisting the wrist around the hand rest to get hold of the handbrake. So I raised the handrest up and the left elbow was banging against the handrest. It was a bit claustrophobic in the drivers seat.
This "problem" has been existing since the car was launched. Most of us have got used to it. Infact I find handrests in other car not as "useful" as the one in the Vento.

Quote:
The rear seat recline angle felt better, seems they have corrected this and the rear seats seems more comfortable than in the previous versions.
Interesting. I never got any post (or any feedback outside the forum) hat the seat recline(r) needed corrections. Care to elucidate?
Old 9th February 2014, 11:57   #6863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
.... I feel most of the below aspects are just cosmetic changes/habitual issues that aren't really that much a concern wrt the car as your first line indicates.

Too much of a generalization. Might be just your opinion, or might be just a issue(?) with your car only. A lot of us felt the other's car always had better suspension. Few of the first generation Vento owners felt the RCD310 music system came with better speakers in the 2011 refreshed version. I felt otherwise. How many cars did you compare to?

Well, can't do anything about that!

This "problem" has been existing since the car was launched. Most of us have got used to it. Infact I find handrests in other car not as "useful" as the one in the Vento.

Interesting. I never got any post (or any feedback outside the forum) hat the seat recline(r) needed corrections. Care to elucidate?

Absolutely, the car has its core strengths, no other car in the C+ segment is so well built and solid (apart from the Rapid ) As you rightly put, the cosmetic changes are not really a concern. It remains the most elegant car in its class from my view.

The door comparison was with the earlier Vento. Could have been a problem with that particular car. I didn't close shut with the same finesse as I felt in the earlier instance. In itself, the solid feel of the door is a benchmark which no other C2 car can match (be it Honda city or verna, except maybe Linea)

I have always felt the rear recline angle is a bit too upright and it has been reported in other forums (eg: Post 3 of the same thread). This time I felt the recline angle has been corrected in the 2014 model. Someone else can confirm if this is indeed the case.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th February 2014 at 12:04.
Old 10th February 2014, 16:06   #6864
BHPian

Just in.

This morning a biker hit my rear right door and made a big dent. It looked like it can be fixed at body shop, but the service advisor says the finish wont be good so replace the door (approx Rs. 17000)!

Any one with similar experiences to offer suggestions, please?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag2893.jpg  

Old 10th February 2014, 16:42   #6865
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Seems to be a minor denting & door paint job. Get it done from a FNG (friendly neighbourhood garage) - the cost shouldn't be more than 3k at max.

P.s. Have done similar work twice in the past; first time from VW showroom under insurance (@16k), second time at a local FNG (@2.2k).

Last edited by noopster : 10th February 2014 at 18:06. Reason: Acronym-fairy strikes! :)
Old 10th February 2014, 18:30   #6866
Senior - BHPian

If you want perfect finish, replace the door panel. Otherwise get it done by FNG.
Old 10th February 2014, 19:53   #6867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you want perfect finish, replace the door panel. Otherwise get it done by FNG.
Even if we replace a panel, will the new color match the other faded panels perfectly? Maybe no way for a white car, this is silver I guess?
Old 10th February 2014, 21:38   #6868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Just in.

This morning a biker hit my rear right door and made a big dent. It looked like it can be fixed at body shop, but the service advisor says the finish wont be good so replace the door (approx Rs. 17000)!

But why replace the full door? I had similar incident on my Ford Fietsa a couple of years back and Metro Ford replaced the outer door panel. Inclusive of labor and painting (since the spare panels are not painted), came to around 7K if i remember correctly.

The local body shop was quoting around 3K to do the same job.
Old 10th February 2014, 22:15   #6869
BHPian

I want a neat finish, so will go to VW. Have insurance with Bharti, they might do some negotiation on the right level of parts replacement I believe.
Old 11th February 2014, 09:19   #6870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Just in.

This should be possible to repair in 5k mostly. Are you based out at pune? If yes, PM me and i can try help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks