Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2014, 13:44   #6871

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hi,

I have been facing the steering clattering noise since a long time. During the second service the Service Centre used the Silicon Spray but the noise came back after a month and half.

During the third service, the SA advised that the whole steering column needs replacement. Covered under extended warranty and costs in excess of 70K. The part has been ordered and I just have to go and give the car.

This part is covered under extended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Wanted to get your inputs on an issue that I am facing. My TDI Vento has done 42,000kms in the last 3 years.

From last week, I hear a sound (a small 'tak' sound) when the steering turns 90 degrees each time. So if I am taking a U turn and turn the steering 180 degrees and back, the sound will come 4 times. Took the car to VW service on Sat and they removed the center piece of the steering (horn and airbag inside) and checked it all. There are 2 springs inside before the airbag unit and the sound is coming from those springs; probably when it touch the fibre or some where when it turns each 90 degrees.

They lubricated the unit and cleaned it and that didn't help. They said tried changing the spring and that too didn't help. They took a new kit (center new piece including the airbag) and tried it and then the sound was gone. Now since the car is not under warranty, changing the piece will cost around Rs 70,000 as it includes the airbag too.

Obviously, its a lot of money to remove a 'small and annoying' sound as according to them there is no functional issue with the steering or airbag. This unit cannot have an issue because of my usage and they agree to it. So they have asked me to get the car again for a day so that they can open a request with VW directly and get inputs from them by sending all diagnostics details and photos. If its a part issue, then VW might waive the amount.

I must say that I am satisfied with the dealer response so far (unlike some of the Skoda horror stories that we hear!!). Not sure what will be the story when I take it to them soon. Hope they continue it that way and there is a positive response.

Have any of you seen this or a similar issue?. Any suggestions on how to take it forward?. Any suggestions on any thing specific to be tried? Appreciate your comments and help!
Old 11th February 2014, 14:10   #6872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABerry View Post
Hi,

I have been facing the steering clattering noise since a long time. During the second service the Service Centre used the Silicon Spray but the noise came back after a month and half.

During the third service, the SA advised that the whole steering column needs replacement. Covered under extended warranty and costs in excess of 70K. The part has been ordered and I just have to go and give the car.

This part is covered under extended.
Thanks ABerry. looks like same issue. I am off warranty unfortunately.. They plan to apply silicon spray soon. taking to service tomorrow. Will update on what happens.
Old 13th February 2014, 10:05   #6873
BHPian

So my TDI's good run post 2nd service was short lived. Following issues cropped up within a week:

1. No Air coming from center console vents - This is also being discussed on other thread but now posting on the main Vento thread. Fellow BHP'an risham got the faulty part and AC assembly changed twice under warranty and after a while the problem happened again. I discussed this with SA yesterday and he told me that they are able to reset the flap motor using some "Basic" settings through VAS (he couldn't share more details since the electrician was on leave) but this may not fix the problem permanently since this failure is due to a mechanical part. However it is also possible that the problem may never happen again. Since my Vento is covered under extended warranty I decided to stick to this option to avoid un-mounting the complete dashboard. If at all problem happens again then I will get the faulty motor replaced and hopefully VW would also be able to sort out issues with this motor (currently replacement also does not guarantee that problem won't re-occur).

2. Noise (metal-to-metal sound) from front suspension while crossing over a speed breaker or on uneven surfaces - This problem has tested patience of everyone involved!! Service center is now checking every component in the suspension and ruling out the suspects one by one. This whole process is very time consuming and it may take a day or 2 or 3...I hope it is fixed soon. Till now they have been able to rule out the rack/struts/link rod. Recently replaced engine/gearbox mounts were also examined to eliminate any noise arising from them. Further investigation would continue today.

Problem 1 is fairly common in Vento's, has anyone faced something similar to problem 2?
Old 13th February 2014, 15:16   #6874

Hello everyone!
I bought Vento Highline 3 months back. Yesterday when i started the car and tried to put it in reverse, the gearbox created some noise and the gear seemed to be too tight. Then I felt that excessive force was required to put the car through gears. Reverse was the worst and car jolted every time i put the car in it. Today I took the car to the dealership and after inspection they told me to leave the car as they think the clutch fluid has taken up some air. They would have to drain the fluid and then refill it. Then after that I tried the car myself but suddenly the problem was gone and now all the gear felt smooth. I am a bit reluctant to let the workshop mess around with the clutch as I had pretty bad experience with the dealership I bought my car from. Kindly tell me if it is something that should be dealt with right now or should I wait for the problem to come back?
Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 17:32   #6875
Distinguished - BHPian

VW -India, President and MD, Mr Mahesh Kodumudi reveals,
Quote:
The Vento will have a mini refresh by the end of the year and will have customer features which are important in the segment. The Vento will undergo a major refresh in 2015.
Major refesh will be the sub 4m segment.

Quote:
we don’t know whether Volkswagen will go the AMT way or no, but the focus is clearly on a cost effective automatic solution which should hit the road by late 2015. This is likely to be a big hit with the customers

ASG the terminology for VW's AMT, a bit more sophisticated -may be the solution.

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th February 2014 at 17:36.
Old 13th February 2014, 17:41   #6876
BHPian

Hello Team!

Got the 2nd/30,000 kms service done for my Vento TDi Highline at VW Palace Cross, Rajajinagar.

No major problems with the car except for the suspension noises every time the car went over undulations/speed breakers and a high pitched whining noise, like that of some motor working, was heard constantly.

Suspension noises are gone after service (don't know for long though ) but the high pitched motor noise remains. Will have to go back to them. Any pointers to what the cause may be?

Total bill = 9,295/=. The usual routine stuff done. Engine oil and filter changed. Upon the SA's advice, the fuel filter was also changed.

The over all experience with the VW, Rajajinagar workshop remains outstanding. Hope they keep it this way. A special mention for Mr. Aalesh (QC Manager) and Mr. Praveen (SA). They are both very patient and knowledgeable.

Regards
ASVA
Old 13th February 2014, 17:46   #6877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Thanks ABerry. looks like same issue. I am off warranty unfortunately.. They plan to apply silicon spray soon. taking to service tomorrow. Will update on what happens.
Took the car to service again. They applied Silicon lubricant and the sound was gone. But after 15 mins & KMs, the sound seems to have come back. According to them, the Air bag unit might have to be replaced fully, which is around Rs 70K.

I get a feeling that this is a known issue with VW. ABerry and couple of others too seems to have faced the same issue. Looks like I will not get the car back today . One thing is clear. Its not a usage issue; but a product issue and I want to see how VW would be handling it. This will be a good measure for VW's customer service and experience. Dealer response (VW white field) has been good so far. I had to take my car to garage 3 times already and hopefully its going to end soon!!!
Old 17th February 2014, 11:45   #6878
BHPian

Today i had given my Vento for the steering noise checkup and the observation by the service advisor is to check the steering column. Hopefully the issue gets resolved this time.
Old 17th February 2014, 20:11   #6879
BHPian

Looks like more folks are hitting this same issue at the 3rd year (near 3rd service). what kind of noise is coming for you and on when?
Old 18th February 2014, 13:41   #6880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
No major problems with the car except for the suspension noises every time the car went over undulations/speed breakers and a high pitched whining noise, like that of some motor working, was heard constantly.
I have a similar motor noise observed, feel like it is coming from the front right wheel but not sure. Could be because of worn out tires making too much noise, I doubt. Checking these kind of issues are going to be a pain as they will do test drives many time and waste time but offer no solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddarthbh View Post
But why replace the full door? I had similar incident on my Ford Fietsa a couple of years back and Metro Ford replaced the outer door panel. Inclusive of labor and painting (since the spare panels are not painted), came to around 7K if i remember correctly.
That is what that guy said, may be a lazy assessment. Car is with the workshop now, need to get into details to understand better.
Old 18th February 2014, 13:52   #6881
BHPian

Had another incident yesterday (after last weeks incident when a biker hit the car's right rear door). Was driving home for 1 hour and stopped at KFC to get a snack. When I came after 5 mins to start the car wouldn't start. After few tries gave up and called service.

First I called Abra motors 24 hrs line and they promptly pointed to the 1800 number of VW. So tried calling 18001021155. Every time they call went to a music mode and was kept on wait and not to be answered till 3-4 minutes. So gave up and reached home by walk.

Then tried calling service again and this time they took the call and created a case. A guy was sent in 20 minutes to check the car. He said it could be a fuel pump issues and the car need to be taken to the service center (towed). He asked me to get in touch with the call center and left.

It was around 8PM in the evening and several tries to reach the call center didn't work. Even after waiting for 10-12 minutes the music was going. Was very frustrated as this level of response from roadside assistance and hung up.

With help from a friend, pushed the car all the way to home (1.5 km) so that I can have a peaceful sleep.

In the morning today, had called the same number and finally they picked up and sent a vehicle to tow in 1 hour. Now the car is with the workshop, got an acknowledgement call and nothing further.

Very unhappy with the level of roadside assistance from VW. Had to thank my starts for not having been left out somewhere in the dark on the outskirts of the city. Ford was much better, never went without a response. Even the local dealer MPL used to send service personnel or a recovery vehicle quickly.

Call register in picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-screenshot_20140218094852.png  

Old 20th February 2014, 10:44   #6882
BHPian

Car is still at the workshop and diagnosis going on for the 3rd day now. They are saying no battery issue or fuel pump issue. The electric line from battery to fuel pump may be faulty.

They are trying to diagnose by changing each part and see where the problem lies and in constant touch with VW. When questioned the SA said there was no other incident like this reported before! Bit worried if they can fix it properly.
Old 20th February 2014, 13:13   #6883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Very unhappy with the level of roadside assistance from VW. Had to thank my starts for not having been left out somewhere in the dark on the outskirts of the city. Ford was much better, never went without a response. Even the local dealer MPL used to send service personnel or a recovery vehicle quickly.
Sad to hear about such atrocious service provided by VW RSA. Hopefully no VW customers ever need it in a pinch! I will be extra worried about this on long hauls now.

Quote:
Car is still at the workshop and diagnosis going on for the 3rd day now. They are saying no battery issue or fuel pump issue. The electric line from battery to fuel pump may be faulty.

They are trying to diagnose by changing each part and see where the problem lies and in constant touch with VW. When questioned the SA said there was no other incident like this reported before! Bit worried if they can fix it properly.
Hope the issues get fixed quickly and correctly. Keep us posted.
Old 20th February 2014, 15:27   #6884
BHPian

Quote:
I have a similar motor noise observed, feel like it is coming from the front right wheel but not sure. Could be because of worn out tires making too much noise, I doubt. Checking these kind of issues are going to be a pain as they will do test drives many time and waste time but offer no solution.
In my case the noise isn't from worn out tires as its constant even when the car is stationary (engine running). Its a very high pitched whirring sound like that of a small motor/pump running at very high revs. Will need to observe for a few more days. If the problem persists/increases, will have to take the car back to the workshop.
Old 20th February 2014, 21:02   #6885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
In my case the noise isn't from worn out tires as its constant even when the car is stationary (engine running). Its a very high pitched whirring sound like that of a small motor/pump running at very high revs. Will need to observe for a few more days. If the problem persists/increases, will have to take the car back to the workshop.
might be the fuel pump ! its known to have the humming sound issue

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks