Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2014, 17:28   #6931
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
Well i have been facing this strange issue on my year old Vento and it crops up occasionally. I have this problem only when shifting gears to either first or reverse which entails the same action.

So to put into first gear the first movement is left then forward. The left works properly but the issue is in the forward action. The gear stick stops in between the final position of the first gear and the initial position reached after the left and on depressing, clutch gives a loud painful grrrrrrr sound.

The solution is go back to neutral and try a couple of times and it then slots into first gear properly. This "in-between" position is a pain and i have tried applying a bit of pressure to move the gear stick forward to slot into first properly but the stick does not budge and seems stuck. I have stopped applying pressure in the fear of damaging some other component and just revert to neutral and try again. I don't face this issue on any of the other gears than 1st and reverse.

Any idea why this must be happening. Car is due for servicing in a month's time.
That is a problem unheard of! Maybe you should try changing the transmission oil, but I hardly think that's the problem. My car ate through the first clutch plate before the first service! Think about that! VW fixed it for me under warranty, although I don't think they will do it for everyone (I know the SA). Or it could be you are not pressing the clutch hard enough. The car does have a heavy clutch. There can also be a problem with the gear selector.

Many possibilities, one answer : GET THE CAR SERVICED!
Old 12th March 2014, 18:53   #6932
BHPian

My Vento Trendline TDI has done 86,000 KMS. Bhpians following this thread since its intial days will remember this car as the First Vento in Team Bhp to have done the entire Ladakh Circuit in June 2012.

Ofcourse that Trip has taken a real toll on the car. The Latest being Front Wheel bearing damage . SA from VW Downtown in Mumbai just told me that it is not covered under extended warranty and replacing the two front wheel bearings with labour would cost me 23 K Approx.

Wanted to know your views on the Extended warranty coverage for this part.

Already replaced Exhaust Gas Recirculation Unit and Steering Gear a few months back under Extended Warrantly.

Guess with the Kind of Pricing of Spares for the Vento i have to sell this off well before the Extended Warranty Limit of 1 Lakh KMS is crosssed. Otherwise God Knows how much further Cost will i have to Incur.
Old 12th March 2014, 19:06   #6933
BANNED

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:

Well ,from my experience that's a case of not pressing the clutch hard enough.

You need to press it fully ,otherwise it just wouldn't work. You'll get the hang of it ,though.

During the service do get it tested ,it might me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
Guess with the Kind of Pricing of Spares for the Vento i have to sell this off well before the Extended Warranty Limit of 1 Lakh KMS is crosssed. Otherwise God Knows how much further Cost will i have to Incur.

I'm pretty sure consumables are not covered ,you might want to read the terms of the warranty.

For next time advice ,do buy the highline ,that gives a whole lot of piece of mind.
ABS is really great ,airbags are a lifesaver.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 12th March 2014 at 19:08.
Old 13th March 2014, 08:02   #6934
BHPian

Last week on the highway, I had a tire damage on stock tyres (apollo accelere) where the steel reinforcements on the tire had come out on both sides of the tire with the inner side (one that's visible) being worse. No damage otherwise whatsoever to the tire, sidewall.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-photoc.jpg

To my luck this was on my rear and happened during day time. My family was safe. First time I am seeing a damage like this one on a tubeless. I have only 10k on these tires. I have read quite a bit about the infamous Accelere but this certainly took me by surprise.

On preliminary investigation later it looked like some glass debris had pierced the tire leading to the loss of air and a run of 1-2 kms at 80 kmph has caused this. I have given the alloy wheel with the tire to VW and its currently with Apollo. They are investigating.
Old 13th March 2014, 12:15   #6935
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Vento ranks highest in the Midsize Car through its Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) study - J D Power Asia Pacific 2013.

Quote:
The study is based on 10 performance factors which include vehicle exterior; vehicle interior; storage and space; audio/entertainment/navigation; seats, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC); driving dynamics; engine/transmission; visibility and driving safety; and fuel economy
Quote:
The Volkswagen Vento took the first rank in the midsize car segment with an index score of 859 points on a 1000-points scale. The segment had an average of 853 points. Amongst the Premium Compact Cars, Volkswagen Polo ranked second with an index score of 855 points, which also happens to be above the segment-average score of 853.
http://www.motoroids.com/news/volksw...3-apeal-study/

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th March 2014 at 12:17.
Old 13th March 2014, 14:35   #6936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Or it could be you are not pressing the clutch hard enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Well ,from my experience that's a case of not pressing the clutch hard enough.
That was precisely my initial thoughts but that is not the case.

The problem being this thing happens occasionally so replicating it in front of the SA would be difficult. In any case would go for an early servicing and atleast highlight it to the SA.
Old 15th March 2014, 22:56   #6937
BHPian

After several days of walking between VW and Fiat showrooms and being unable to decide between Vento and Linea Petrols, I finally made up my mind and booked a Vento.

Reasons going for Vento:
Much better driving position and comfort. I just could not get the right posture in a Linea. The reach and rake adjustment of the Vento are great to find the sweet spot.
Easier and smoother gear shifts. The Linea in comparison seems to have a very long gear throw. In the Vento, it is incredibly easy to change gears with the arm resting on the arm-rest.
Dealer offered me huge discounts by which I am getting Petrol Highline at the same price as Linea T Jet Dynamic.
A better brand image (strictly my own opinion).

The only strong reason against Linea (other than the price factor):
Too much external chrome for my liking.

I know that in a Vento, I shall miss these vis-a-vis a Linea:
The best performance Petrol engine. I consider myself a sedate, primarily city driver, and am willing to forego the adrenaline rush.
Several features that I do not consider a deal maker/breaker - Auto headlamps, wipers, Blue&Me.

The kids are super excited and checked out all features in the showroom, and have been busy playing "Spot the VW" on the roads since I booked our new car. I hope other Vento owners on this thread feel I have made the right choice.
Old 16th March 2014, 02:14   #6938
BHPian

Quote:

The problem being this thing happens occasionally so replicating it in front of the SA would be difficult. In any case would go for an early servicing and atleast highlight it to the SA.
Next time, when the gear lever is resisting forward movement, very slightly release the clutch, very little, while putting forward pressure on the gear lever. It will fall into place, and should do so without any abnormal sounds. Note that this is not a permanent solution.

A better way is to pull back into neutral, release the clutch pedal, push it back in and try again. As for the reverse gear, in all vehicles, it is recommended to wait 2 seconds in neutral before engaging reverse. You will find this in many manuals.

Last edited by Ayson : 16th March 2014 at 02:19.
Old 16th March 2014, 02:49   #6939
BHPian

Quote:

I had the same problem in my car and the TASC fooled me everytime I told them by blaming on my skill to fully depress the clutch pedal, and as like you was not able to replicate the same.
Root cause a misadjusted clutch pedal with excessive freeplay from factory itself.
Nobody corrected it till the time it became a severe problem and 1st gear wont engage.
End result In just 15k kms of driving my synchronizer for 1st 2nd gear has gone bust. Cost estimated 6k to 8k minimum.
Always remember a clutch which is not fully disengaged due to excessive freeplay will show signs of hard shifting in 1st and reverse gear first.
Get it rectified at earliest, already damage to synchro has started.
The other reason could be a fork centralisation issue wrt synchronizer collar but this is very difficult to detect unless you open gearbox and use dial guage to measure.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 21:43   #6940
BHPian

Logo gone, theft in the center of the city in broad day light! Had parked it when I went to the hospital. Going to cost Rs.2000 to get it replaced!
Old 16th March 2014, 22:02   #6941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Logo gone, theft in the center of the city in broad day light! Had parked it when I went to the hospital. Going to cost Rs.2000 to get it replaced!
Sorry to hear that man !!

I just cannot understand how people can do such things ; they definitely deserve a beating like this

Could you elaborate a bit on the location ?
Old 16th March 2014, 22:09   #6942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Could you elaborate a bit on the location ?
This was in the HIG colony in Kotturpuram Chennai sometime between 1-3 PM.
Old 17th March 2014, 09:08   #6943
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi folks,
Recently after my Ahmedabad trip, I started hearing some minor noise from front suspension - it comes when I am going over a bump or similar. Also hearing it when I turn the wheel at when stationary. I showed it to the VW workshop, they have asked me to come back and keep the car for a day.

Has anyone experienced this or read/heard about this? A bit concerned as the suspension clearly is out of warranty context.
Old 17th March 2014, 11:27   #6944
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

The ASC at my place is offering original Highline R15 alloys (last year model) for 16k for a set of 4 for a limited time. Should I take the plunge, especially when I read the below quoted post from an ownership thread? Mine is a Comfortline. P.S: I love the looks of the original alloys more than the aftermarket ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Congrats on completing 5000 Kms.
Vento's alloy are very soft. Mine have developed few scratches and some are even deep. I would suggest you to change all the alloys and go for after market. What if after few days another alloy goes kaput, another 18K in drain. For 18K or more you could get better aftermarket alloys and they would improve looks too.
Old 17th March 2014, 12:11   #6945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Has anyone experienced this or read/heard about this? A bit concerned as the suspension clearly is out of warranty context.
I have faced this issue with my Linea when the shocker mounts went kaput, it used to create thud noise in even small potholes and the steering made metallic clunk/grinding noise when it was turned while the car was stationary.

If the noise is similar, it could be the shocker mount/insulator. It costed me 3000 for the Fiat to get it changed and they lasted 40k kms. Cost should be similar for VW.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks