Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2014, 13:35   #6946
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Guys,

The ASC at my place is offering original Highline R15 alloys (last year model) for 16k for a set of 4 for a limited time. Should I take the plunge, especially when I read the below quoted post from an ownership thread? Mine is a Comfortline. P.S: I love the looks of the original alloys more than the aftermarket ones.
The alloys, if handled well, age well. Most of the older vento owners haven't had issues, but there have been a few issues of alloy problems on the forum; @bala80 had to replace one long back I believe. Go ahead if you really like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I have faced this issue with my Linea when the shocker mounts went kaput, it used to create thud noise in even small potholes and the steering made metallic clunk/grinding noise when it was turned while the car was stationary.

If the noise is similar, it could be the shocker mount/insulator. It costed me 3000 for the Fiat to get it changed and they lasted 40k kms. Cost should be similar for VW.
The above problem statment sounds similar, especially the grinding noise. I haven't had any issues with BUBhandari till date, however I'm wondering if they are able to resolve the problem with asking me to go change the entire setup. Will keep you guys posted - I have taken appointment this Wed.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 17:51   #6947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
The ASC at my place is offering original Highline R15 alloys (last year model) for 16k for a set of 4 for a limited time. Should I take the plunge, especially when I read the below quoted post from an ownership thread? Mine is a Comfortline. P.S: I love the looks of the original alloys more than the aftermarket ones.
Yes, you should definitely go in for OEM stock Vento 7 Spoke alloys. They look very good and add character to car. Eventually all alloys are soft since they are made from aluminium and develop scratch only when they are rubbed against another hard material. Recently did a 1500 Km journey on my Vento which had both 6 lane road to 2 lane road with loads of potholes. None the less all the alloys worked pretty well and still going strong. Earlier alloys were made by Borbet, Spain. Don't know if they still are OEM suppliers to VW.

My advice go in for them and you wont regret it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 20:49   #6948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The alloys, if handled well, age well. Most of the older vento owners haven't had issues. Go ahead if you really like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Yes, you should definitely go in for OEM stock Vento 7 Spoke alloys. They look very good and add character to car. Eventually all alloys are soft since they are made from aluminium and develop scratch only when they are rubbed against another hard material. Recently did a 1500 Km journey on my Vento which had both 6 lane road to 2 lane road with loads of potholes. None the less all the alloys worked pretty well and still going strong. Earlier alloys were made by Borbet, Spain. Don't know if they still are OEM suppliers to VW.
Thanks guys. Even before reading your replies, I had initially asked the SA to skip changing, but changed my mind in another 10 minutes. By the time, they had done WA and WB with the old rims and the SA called me back a bit later, confirming that they will arrange for a change to alloys. Got the 7 spoke alloys for 15.8k for a set of 4, which includes 4 hub caps and fitting charges. Hub caps costs ~0.5k each and fitting charge of ~650! A quick glance at the cartons in which the steel rim was returned showed the alloys were an import from China. Will check the details in the coming days.

I do not know if this is my feeling, but the ride seemed a bit less bouncy. And of course, the gear shifter has become smooth after the 1st service. The service cost alone came to 9.5k. Only thing skipped was the washer fluid costing 350 odd.

Went in for the chrome lined lower front grille and the fog lamp casing, costing almost 3.5k. I wanted to avoid the Polo look, with all black lower grille.

The service experience was excellent with the friendly and knowledgeable SA, Nelsen of EVM Volkswagen. Moreover, I have been updated with text message all through the day when the car started for service, when it ended and when there was an estimate change; good thing.
Old 18th March 2014, 11:49   #6949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Root cause a misadjusted clutch pedal with excessive freeplay from factory itself.
The other reason could be a fork centralisation issue wrt synchronizer collar but this is very difficult to detect unless you open gearbox and use dial guage to measure.
Thanks. I shall ask the SC to look into it while getting it serviced.

However I have had a disaster holi. pic attached.
Apparently some kid from the higher floors (18-20) threw 1/multiple balloons and my rear windshield is gone with a dent in the roof. Have lodged a complaint with the society for now.

Called up VW SC (Shaman Sewri) over the phone for a quote. They have told me 14k just for the glass, labour for the dent and glass additional and other items will come to total around 20-25k. Have been informed that including compulsory deductible of 2k my final cost under insurance should come to around 3-5k. Please note this is over the phone.

Also called windshield experts who have quoted 4.5k for the glass (asked for the make for which the operator said foreign make but did not confirm the company name). But the problem is they do just the glass and wont do the dent.

So my questions -
1. Can anyone confirm me the OEM rear windshield make that is found on the VW Vento. As cost will depend largely on this.
2. My Insurance is expiring in 20 days (have Zero dep and not yet renewed for next year. In talks with my existing and Bajaj for a better quote) and I am mostly going to do this under insurance. Also i have no NCB for next year in any case due to an earlier claim so should I do it at WE or ASC. WE said they could process the claim under insurance as well but the dent will remain.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag1410.jpg  

Old 18th March 2014, 15:38   #6950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
However I have had a disaster holi. pic attached.
Apparently some kid from the higher floors (18-20) threw 1/multiple balloons and my rear windshield is gone with a dent in the roof. Have lodged a complaint with the society for now.
Sorry to hear about the incident. What concerns me, what if those water ballons had fallen over someones head? If something like metal sheet can get dented & windshield broken what would have happened to someones skull.

The kid needs to be spanked left & right, so its a lesson for a lifetime.

Have the claim processed at VW, so that anything goes wrong later you can always take VW to task. Also your NCB is already gone due to earlier claim, no point going in for WE.
Old 18th March 2014, 16:30   #6951
BANNED

Well, just imagine the force of the balloon !
It's falling from the 20th floor and depending on the water level could cause some major havoc.
If someone would've been hit with the aforementioned ballon, the person could've got a concussion.
Damn ! A lesson needs to be taught to these miscreants.

A +1 to the official fix, since NCB is gone, why risk a substandard job and running around if some leak happens.
Old 18th March 2014, 16:48   #6952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
What concerns me, what if those water ballons had fallen over someones head?
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Well, just imagine the force of the balloon !
It's falling from the 20th floor and depending on the water level could cause some major havoc.
Initiallly even i found it hard to believe that a water balloon would create such an impact. Have written to the society to take strict action.

Spoke to VWSC guys said that VW make their own glasses including rear windshield and now I also think that getting it done from a SC makes sense. Problem is availability of those windshields which would take another day or two for the SC to get it.
Old 18th March 2014, 17:16   #6953
BHPian

Quote:
So my questions -
1. Can anyone confirm me the OEM rear windshield make that is found on the VW Vento. As cost will depend largely on this.
2. My Insurance is expiring in 20 days (have Zero dep and not yet renewed for next year. In talks with my existing and Bajaj for a better quote) and I am mostly going to do this under insurance. Also i have no NCB for next year in any case due to an earlier claim so should I do it at WE or ASC. WE said they could process the claim under insurance as well but the dent will remain.
1) It doesnot matter what the make of the rear windshield is as my experience with Windshields expert is that they wont go for the cheap chinese ones. No rear windshield costs 14k! This is simply overcharging by service centres.
2) You can get the glass repaired by Windshields and the dent repaired by ASC. But better would be you get it done by ASC so that you can claim for both and will have less hassles.
Old 18th March 2014, 20:53   #6954
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The vento rear windshield is very thin. Once my son just tossed a ping pong ball on the rear windshield and the resulted sound made me to look at the thickness of glass, it is hardly 2mm. This is the safety feature, as in worst case, it is always suggested to break the rear windshield. I would recommend to go with ASC, as WE glass may not support demister.

Last edited by manjubp : 18th March 2014 at 20:54.
Old 18th March 2014, 22:16   #6955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hi folks,
Recently after my Ahmedabad trip, I started hearing some minor noise from front suspension - it comes when I am going over a bump or similar. Also hearing it when I turn the wheel at when stationary. I showed it to the VW workshop, they have asked me to come back and keep the car for a day.

Has anyone experienced this or read/heard about this? A bit concerned as the suspension clearly is out of warranty context.
can be multiple things.
Can be squeaky suspension - try spraying WD 40 on the coils springs and Mchpherson lower arms. (caution: don't spray on the discs/pad)

Can be the shocker mount or the gas filled shocker itself. The shocker mount is the silicon part between the gas strut and the shocker nut. You can see this part when you open the bonnet. The extreme edges where it says no spray. The mounts are below the plastic caps.

The second could be the shocker gas strut going kaput. You would be lucky if this is the cause as it costs 2500 a piece as compared to 4500 for the silicon mount.

Do let us know if you have solved the issue.
Old 19th March 2014, 15:30   #6956
BHPian

Quote:
Initiallly even i found it hard to believe that a water balloon would create such an impact. Have written to the society to take strict action.

Spoke to VWSC guys said that VW make their own glasses including rear windshield and now I also think that getting it done from a SC makes sense. Problem is availability of those windshields which would take another day or two for the SC to get it.
hi
Sorry about the car ! Lucky no one was injured ( i hope)
Yes ! Please make sure the kids' parents too get some special treatment for letting them do something like this !
If I am not wrong Asahi India makes the glasses for the vento .At least on my TSi which is a 2014 make.
Go ahead with the VWSC guys and claim it under insurance.
Old 19th March 2014, 15:36   #6957
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Since you have already made a claim and your NCB is already lost, go with VW ASC without any doubt. Since insurance is paying why worry whether the glass is 14K or 4.5K.
Old 19th March 2014, 18:23   #6958
BHPian

Dropped the car in the SC today morning. Approximate cost around 17k. After insurance 3-4k.

There is now hell lot of very minute glass particles in the whole car especially the back seat which probably would not go through vacuuming the seats. Would have to go for a more thorough cleaning i guess.
Old 19th March 2014, 21:53   #6959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Some further updates. VW has agreed to replace the part and I got a call today from the service center indicating that the part has reached the Aurangabad inventory. Not sure where it is coming from. Looks like the part will reach Bangalore in 3-4 days and i can take the car to get it replaced. Good service experience continues including frequent updates by SA. . Will keep you folks updated.
Got the airbag unit in steering replaced and the sound is gone. They covered it under under warranty though I didn't have extended warranty!. Excellent service by VW and Applle auto whitefield

Btw, had to shell out 8k to replace the fuel pump as the fuel gauge sensor went kaput! Did any of you have an issue with fuel gauge sensor where in the reading went fully down?
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 08:09   #6960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
can be multiple things.

Can be the shocker mount or the gas filled shocker itself.

The second could be the shocker gas strut going kaput. You would be lucky if this is the cause as it costs 2500 a piece as compared to 4500 for the silicon mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I have faced this issue with my Linea when the shocker mounts went kaput, it used to create thud noise in even small potholes and the steering made metallic clunk/grinding noise when it was turned while the car was stationary.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Although the actual problem came out to being something else, both of you guys caught on to a potentially correct issue.

So yesterday morning I did a long "test-drive" with a senior technician to re-create the problem, with both of us driving turn-by-turn. Later we mounted the car and he deciphered two potential issues which was later checked during the day

- The inner section of the front bumper adjacent to the left front wheel had a nut loose and was making noise whenever we went over bumps or extreme turns. This has been corrected and so far I haven't heard the original noise again. But I'm a bit skeptical on this and am keeping check to see if the problem still exists.

- The shocker mount and gas strut (on the right) side needed a check for leakage/issues. Lated when I picked up the car, they have entered in the job cart as the current setup should work for now, however this would be validated again in the 4th servicing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks