Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 09:09   #7006
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish4731 View Post
Hey, Congrats on your purchase.

Regarding Bluetooth connectivity, I had a similar problem during the initial days after purchase. You may want to 'Delete' the pairing and pair the device again. It worked for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Congrats on the purchase. I recall there was a discussion on the Bluetooth disconnection in the vento tsi thread in the Nov Dec timeframe. Although that was more related to music stream over Bluetooth getting disconnected. But it may help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
Congratulations for the car.

as for the bluetooth do you have any power saving software on your phone. This usually turns off the bluetooth to save battery. Also sometimes by default it is in the phone settings that when bluetooth is not in use it shuts down.

Alternatively there is a mobile app named vw radio that helps you use your system through your mobile try installing and check whether it helps.
Thanks lot for the suggestions. I tried everything with the help of showroom technician (deleting-pairing, trying other mobiles etc).

Then after sales executive raised it as an issue and asked me also to raise a ticket with customer care of Volkswagen. Next day, I got a call from service center. I told them that I will bring the car to service center.

On last Saturday, service center technician tried his best to solve the issue including software upgrade. But noting worked. They told me that they will replace the unit and they have to order it.

Yesterday, they sent a person to my house and replaced the system. It is working fine now. Only thing on the minus side is couple of screwdriver marks due to replacement, but are very small to notice.
Old 10th April 2014, 12:46   #7007
BHPian

As VW reached 50000 export unit milestone. (jubilee car being a LHD vento to mexico) I wandered to the VW mexico site and found this

1. the Mexican VW with the same engine (but having 3 stage catalyst) has a efficiency of 24.5kmpl.
Name:  Screen Shot 20140410 at 12.09.18 pm.png
Views: 3206
Size:  71.2 KB

2. The standard wheel size is 195/65/r15 with a beautiful alloy design.

Name:  Screen Shot 20140410 at 12.31.49 pm.png
Views: 3410
Size:  204.6 KB
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 10:53   #7008
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello folks,
Currently I am stuck up with a broken/leaking coolant pipe and a temporarily closed workshop in Goa. Basically trying to find out local alternatives, or wait till Tuesday for the workshop to open.

Has anŷone opted for alternatives on the former? Also any recommendations on local garage/mechanics that work on VW cars would be appreciated.
Old 14th April 2014, 10:49   #7009
BHPian

Volkswagen is fooling around customers with the alloy wheel design. They had no reason to change it some months back and offer it again in the preferred edition. That is one aspect they need not touch and should really have some wheel options. All gimmickry editions with side moulding, splash proof etc.

They need to really up the game with the in car entertainment and integrated camera and launch a diesel automatic in competitive price.
Old 14th April 2014, 11:23   #7010
BHPian

Of late I started to notice that the car is very bumpy and all the road undulations are seeping through. I doubt it could be because of tyre wear. I am using stock JK tyres and have clocked 39,000 kms.

Any opinion on this one and suggestions for tyre change?
Old 14th April 2014, 17:02   #7011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Of late I started to notice that the car is very bumpy and all the road undulations are seeping through. I doubt it could be because of tyre wear. I am using stock JK tyres and have clocked 39,000 kms.

Any opinion on this one and suggestions for tyre change?
Yes, you are right, the OEM tyres tend to become HARD post 30K. You will feel as there is no Suspension.

Tyre replacement is recommended. If possible you can upsize to 195/60. It will not only give you wider patch but taller side wall and increased GC of 6mm. TeamBhp favourites are (not in any order of preference):
1. Conti CPC2
2. Michellin Primacy 3ST
3. Yoko C drives
4. Michellin AvDB
5. Michellin Primacy LC

Take your pick.
Old 15th April 2014, 20:33   #7012
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Suspension noise sorted

The noise when suspension compresses on road humps is now gone. Something called 'boot' and the inner rubber bushing was changed and its smooth now. Now I am very careful going over potholes and speed humps
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 13:20   #7013
Senior - BHPian

A long standing update to my ownership thread.

I would suggest you all to have a bucket of popcorn with you before you start reading it. It’s a very long post covering up events starting from 26 Jan 2014 to till date.

Important trivias:

1. Road trip to Hyderabad (HYD)
2. Deformed tyre en-route to HYD
3. Injector failure during return 220 Kms from home
4. Car fixed but still limping
5. Renewal of insurance Zero Dep 4 year.
6. Butter smooth car with purring engine.

Link.
Old 5th May 2014, 16:43   #7014
BHPian

Vento made in India gets 4/5 in Asean Ncap Rating.. Please follow the Link below for details.

Indian Autos Blog Link

Mods I hope I am not repeating the info already posted elsewhere.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 21:19   #7015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Vento made in India gets 4/5 in Asean Ncap Rating.. Please follow the Link below for details.

Indian Autos Blog Link

Mods I hope I am not repeating the info already posted elsewhere.
It is discussed right here in our own home sweet home:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ero-sport.html
Old 9th May 2014, 17:14   #7016
BHPian

A firefighting car has been built by a group of apprentices at VW Academy India as part of their final year project.
  • This car is based on Vento with the same 1.6L oilburner under the hood and comprises of 160 special components.

• Apparently, this firefighter car will be used for daily inspection around the plant as well as for the movement of material by the Fire and Safety Department.

Source: evo
Old 9th May 2014, 19:44   #7017

I have driven the Vento (Highline, Diesel) for a couple of years now and while it's a great car, I do feel a little disappointed and I will seriously look at other options when its time to replace this one.

Like GTO has already mentioned, the car offers excellent road handling, great torque and overall, a good driving experience. The smooth and responsive acceleration coupled with ease of handling makes for very good long drives, including through ghats, which is what most of my long drives take me through (Goa to Mangalore).

Two experiences in particular that impressed me:
- I was once at 80+ kmph. and I saw a pot-hole too late (definitely more than 2 inches deep and probably 6 inches wide by a foot long). I had driven through it before I realized it, and I was pleasantly surprised by how the car handled it. And no, there wasn't any problem due to that.
- The second instance was when I was at 120+ kmph. and had to slam the brakes. The tires squealed momentarily, the ABS kicked in, etc. but the car remained rock-solid on the road. Not even for a split second did I feel I had lost control of the car nor did it veer from its path.

However, I expected a lot more from a German car. Especially after having driven two German cars outside India (and that's another that annoys me - that the Indian market is perhaps being short-changed).

Two mechanical issues I have faced with the Vento:
(a) It consumes more oil than I think it should. I am no auto expert, but I have had to top-up the oil at least 6 times now - about a litre each time and the vehicle has only done about 23K kms. so far. So that's about a litre for less than 4,000 kms. Seems a little too much to me. Of course, this first time was when it had done only 9,000 kms. or so and then again within 2,000 kms. after which VW fixed the issues but it seems to have cropped up again. Not sure if this is a one-off case or others are also facing this.
(b) The car developed a problem with the gear at about 15K kms. - it would refuse to shift into 2nd or would do so with great deal of deft handling of the gear - when shifting down as well as up. This was fixed and has not recurred and perhaps this is a one-off incident with the specific car I have.

A few irritants not related to engineering that I wish VW had done differently, especially for a car in this segment:
- In the Trendline, there are no buttons to operate the rear power windows. I thought this was a really cheap thing to do.
- If your indicator is switched on and you happen to park and switch off your car BEFORE the indicator stalk has returned to its original position, the indicator bulb remains on steadily even after you have pulled out the key and exited the car. VW claims this is a standard safety feature on all German cars ("in case the engine dies as you are pulling over to the side of the road, the light remaining on serves as a warning to passing traffic" was the explanation I was given).
- There is no USB or AUX input though I believe they have now introduced these

I was particularly miffed by these because the Tata Indica seemed to have more features than the Vento!

Overall, the Vento is an excellent car but I would strongly urge you to look at other options before you decide on a Vento.
Old 9th May 2014, 21:49   #7018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasm View Post
However, I expected a lot more from a German car. Especially after having driven two German cars outside India (and that's another that annoys me - that the Indian market is perhaps being short-changed).
You must weigh the features/performance/quality/whatever disappointed you against the price you are paying for it. Being a German car doesn't warrant it to endow every trait of a German car for the competent price it has been offered at. What were those two German cars you've driven if I may ask?

Quote:
It consumes more oil than I think it should. I am no auto expert, but I have had to top-up the oil at least 6 times now - about a litre each time and the vehicle has only done about 23K kms. so far. So that's about a litre for less than 4,000 kms. Seems a little too much to me.
I haven't come across such problem with vento on the forum so far. Anyways, the vehicle can't be held accountable unless proved so. Excessive oil consumption can happen if you lug the engine too much or use adulterated fuel. If mechanical damage was the culprit you could've noticed easily.

Quote:
I was particularly miffed by these because the Tata Indica seemed to have more features than the Vento
If you are after bells and whistles Verna is your best bet. There's no match for the levels of equipment it comes with, in the segment.

P.S:
No hard feelings and welcome to Team-BHP mate
Pferdestarke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 22:08   #7019
BHPian

@ Suhasm
You are right, in the 80's, while working in the UK, I had a Polo and a Passat diesel. These two cars were just brilliant, gave absolutely no trouble during the ownership. Even in the 80's, there was a 6 year anti corrosion warranty and a 3 year paint warranty. I drive a Vento diesel now and even though I am happier than you are, that quality is lacking now and I agree that we are being taken for granted.
I never had the problem with oil consumption. Even though I check the oil level periodically, I never had to top up the oil. The car has done 29 k. Your oil consumption figures would have me worried and I feel it should be looked into.
In spite of everything, it is a good car with excellent torque and power with good driving dynamics.

Last edited by premc44 : 9th May 2014 at 22:09. Reason: Addition
Old 9th May 2014, 22:08   #7020
BHPian

hi

I’ve been noticing that the windows on my vento show a lot of streaks sometimes and it really is very annoying especially when it crops up just after a toll booth ; that too during the night.
I have never noticed so many streaks on the windows on my i10 and i do take a lot of effort to clean both the cars.
Not sure if I am missing something .
I even asked the 3M guys as to why it was happening and they said most VW cars are like that. I don’t know how true that is .
Can someone let me know if I need to do something different .

Most Viewed