Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 19:24   #7186
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Yes, major changes

2. DSG 7 speed
newtonMeter - I have already mentioned 7 speed DSG mated to 1.5L Diesel engine.

By "major" what I wanted to mean is

1. Cruise Control
2. Projector Lamps (If the double barrel lamps produce better illumination than the existing headlamps, I'm fine)

Other major changes you had mentioned are cosmetics - my perspective. IMO, they do not improve the safety, driving comfort or passenger comfort.

Another point, we are not sure if they have improved the performance of Air-con system. Though I do not have serious complaints, I will appreciate any improvements.
Old 24th September 2014, 20:41   #7187
BHPian

Read somewhere that now all models have airbags! Is that true?
Old 24th September 2014, 21:00   #7188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Read somewhere that now all models have airbags! Is that true?
Yes airbags are standard across the range. Abs is not present in the base variant
Old 24th September 2014, 22:42   #7189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
newtonMeter - I have already mentioned 7 speed DSG mated to 1.5L Diesel engine.

By "major" what I wanted to mean is

1. Cruise Control

2. Projector Lamps (If the double barrel lamps produce better illumination than the existing headlamps, I'm fine)

Other major changes you had mentioned are cosmetics - my perspective. IMO, they do not improve the safety, driving comfort or passenger comfort.

Another point, we are not sure if they have improved the performance of Air-con system. Though I do not have serious complaints, I will appreciate any improvements.

All dsg will also come with ESP. That's a cool feature to have
Old 25th September 2014, 12:02   #7190
BHPian

New VENTO

My Vento TDI touched 70K. I always thought I should touch 100,000 kms before thinking of a replacement. This morning , saw the 7 speed DSG ad in the newspapaper and my heart immediately said I should try. My brain has asked the heart to keep quite till the official review is out.

My daily commute is around 50 kms in bangalore city and I do a 600 kms highway trip every month. Are these reasons for an upgrade ?. The other big question is , 1.5 vs 1.6 .Will the new 1.5 can match my dear old 1.6 ?
Old 25th September 2014, 12:13   #7191
Senior - BHPian

The new Toffee Brown colour has to be the best colour yet on the Indian Vento IMO. It looks really rich and premium and gives the car a totally new dimension I feel.

With the gap between petrol and diesel closing up day by day, I so wish to buy the Vento 1.6 MPI Highline in the new shade. Wishful thinking...nothing else.
:-(
Old 25th September 2014, 14:53   #7192
BHPian

Just watched the New Rapid release live webcast. The high end automatic diesels factory price is 10,97,424. All other modela are less than 10L . I am assuming Vento will be 50K more .

They have introduced Toffee brown but it will be available only after a month.

They have also introduced a black kit to make the car more sportier ( including a black roof as an option)
Old 25th September 2014, 15:25   #7193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
Just watched the New Rapid release live webcast. The high end automatic diesels factory price is 10,97,424. All other modela are less than 10L . I am assuming Vento will be 50K more .

They have introduced Toffee brown but it will be available only after a month.

They have also introduced a black kit to make the car more sportier ( including a black roof as an option)
Yes, Rapid has the following for the same price of 10.97 for Diesel DSG what vento misses:

1. Cruise control
2. projectors.
3. Sexy Black edition
4. Better Mileage (from the new 1.5 TDI)
RAPID MT 1.5 TDI : 21.44 - Vento MT 1.5 TDI: 20.34
RAPID AT DSG: 21.66 - Vento AT DSG : 21.21

5. Better Suspension (from earlier insights)
6. Better break lights (much more lit up area)

Vento Has the following what Rapid misses
1. leatherette seats,
2. ESP, (though the picture in Rapid's site shows ESP switch)
3. Ambiente Lights and
4. Hill Hold

I found a strange button on the Rapid's dash - can some one confirm what this is?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-capture.jpg

Last edited by newtonMeter : 25th September 2014 at 15:25. Reason: clean up
Old 25th September 2014, 15:44   #7194
BHPian

Quote:

4. Better Mileage (from the new 1.5 TDI)
RAPID MT 1.5 TDI : 21.44 - Vento MT 1.5 TDI: 20.34
RAPID AT DSG: 21.66 - Vento AT DSG : 21.21
Now that has left me scratching my head. i can understand minor differences, but a 5% difference between what is the same engine and tuned by the same guys, is slightly difficult to digest.

Quote:
As I was corrected yesterday, it is the switch for TCS, not ESP.

Quote:
I found a strange button on the Rapid's dash - can some one confirm what this is?
This is a card/ticket holder. Source: Motoroids.com
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-card-holder.jpg  

Old 25th September 2014, 22:18   #7195
BHPian

Folks, any reason I should choose the 1.5L vento diesel DSG over the 1.2 litre petrol TSI?

I test drove the polo GT TSI and absolutely fell in love with the peppy engine. I also test drove the 1.6L manual vento diesel but was not as impressed by it. I also saw an autocar review in another thread which compares the DSG TDI and the DSG TSI and concludes that the TSI is more peppy.

I understand the diesel would be more fuel efficient but also more expensive. From a driver viewpoint, would they be the same? What about maintenance?
Old 26th September 2014, 10:59   #7196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Folks, any reason I should choose the 1.5L vento diesel DSG over the 1.2 litre petrol TSI?

I test drove the polo GT TSI and absolutely fell in love with the peppy engine. I also test drove the 1.6L manual vento diesel but was not as impressed by it. I also saw an autocar review in another thread which compares the DSG TDI and the DSG TSI and concludes that the TSI is more peppy.

I understand the diesel would be more fuel efficient but also more expensive. From a driver viewpoint, would they be the same? What about maintenance?
I own the Vento TSI but have not driven the 1.6/1.5 TDI. But few comments
  • The petrol will obviously be more refined. The TSI specifically is super refined and hardly audible
  • The TDI Makes more torque (250nm) as compared to the TSI (176NM). But the TDI peak torque is only from 1500-2500RPM while the TSI is from 1500-4100. My conclusion from that the TSI will be more Peppy
  • The TSI will be much more free revving than the TDI. Which will translate into more Fun to Drive in S or Manual Mode.
  • The TDI will obviously be more fuel efficient.

If your usage does not warrant a diesel, I would recommend the TSI.

Edit: I assume your question is between the Vento TDI DSG and Vento TSI DSG.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 26th September 2014 at 11:14.
Old 26th September 2014, 11:06   #7197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post

If you really don't need the extra boot, then I would suggest go with the Polo. The vento TDI DSG's torque is very close to what the 7-speed can handle, hence this might affect its reliability in the long run, this is not so for Polo TSI. Also, polo in my opinion has better dynamics compared to vento. I would recommend the polo
Old 26th September 2014, 11:56   #7198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
If you really don't need the extra boot, then I would suggest go with the Polo. The vento TDI DSG's torque is very close to what the 7-speed can handle, hence this might affect its reliability in the long run, this is not so for Polo TSI. Also, polo in my opinion has better dynamics compared to vento. I would recommend the polo
The Vento is on an extended wheel base. This gives it enough extra legroom in the rear to make it more comfortable than the Polo. The Polo is great if it is just one, at most two people in the car. You'd need to be a Chinese acrobat to be comfortable in the rear seat of the Polo for jaunts lasting longer than 5 minutes. If you carry more than 2 people even some of the times, for a couple of lacs extra, even if you don't need the boot, the Vento is the better buy.

P.S Can you please elaborate on how long term reliability can be affected because the Gear Box is running at close to certified Torque figures?

Last edited by imp! : 26th September 2014 at 12:05.
Old 26th September 2014, 11:57   #7199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
If you really don't need the extra boot, then I would suggest go with the Polo. The vento TDI DSG's torque is very close to what the 7-speed can handle, hence this might affect its reliability in the long run, this is not so for Polo TSI.
Interesting information about torque handling ability of DSG. Thanks!

In addition to the boot, the rear seat leg space is far superior in the Vento. I prefer Polo for it's looks and ease of parking, but, the rear seat space difference is hard to ignore.

Anyway, does anyone know if the ex-showroom price of 1.2 TSI highline is below 9.99 in Bangalore? Paying more road tax above 10L ex-showroom is no fun..
Old 26th September 2014, 12:05   #7200
BHPian

Quote:
Vento Has the following what Rapid misses
1. leatherette seats,

Attachment 1292225
The Rapid DSG has ESP (updated on the Skoda website). With cruise control and projector headlamps, it is marginally better equipped than the Vento DSG.
satyaanveshi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks