Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2014, 12:00   #7231
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
This is a regular practice and is used by many manufacturers world over. This is to ensure that you use your spare wheel as spare (emergency usage) only and keep all wheels in good shape. This is done keeping in mind that all four wheels will age simultaneously. I am not sure how to handle this in case of only one tyre replacement!
The logic of manufacturer on this is funny. In my opinion, it is sheer cost cutting, nothing else!
Old 9th October 2014, 12:15   #7232
Team-BHP Support

Guys, any idea if the Vento facelift getting the illumination regulator knob adjacent to the headlight range control knob?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_8030b850x611.jpg

This was an omission in the Vento and Polo sold here (thanks to VW’s cost cutting!) but would like to know if it has been included in the facelift.

EDIT: Image courtesy - Paultan Polo Sedan Review
Old 9th October 2014, 12:16   #7233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
Today morning, the service representative called me and gave me a shocking news. He says the update could not be completed since the VAS is asking them to replace the INJECTORS because it is faulty. He informed me that to replace the entire set of injectors it would cost me Rs. 91,000 /-

Now what do I do? The car is not under warranty. My question is how can injectors turn faulty just after 29000 kms ??

What options do I have?
Hello Anant,
What the A.S.S fellow is saying is CRAP. He is just trying to rob your wallet. Answer yourself this:-
- Are you experiencing loss of power & acceleration?
- Black smoke from the exhaust during acceleration?
- Drop in Fuel efficiency?
- Increase in NVH?

If your answer to the above questions is "NO", I don't think your injectors need to be changed.

If VAG is "asking" them to replace the injectors, ask the A.S.S for their written confirmation & see the drama unfold. I'm sure he will not have an explanation.

Regards,
Varun.
powertrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 12:18   #7234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, any idea if the Vento facelift getting the illumination regulator knob adjacent to the headlight range control knob?
Had a thorough view of the 'Refresh' Vento , IMO there is no such illumination available .
Old 9th October 2014, 12:19   #7235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just need help from you guys regarding my Vento TDI.

Car Purchased on: Feb, 10th - 2012
Warranty: The general warranty and extended warranty have expired.
As your car was purchased on 10 Feb 2012, with extended warranty which is for 2+2 years; should be valid till 9 Feb 2016. How come it has expired?

Quote:
Present problem: I had left my vehicle yesterday for replacing of brake pads which were worn out. I had also informed them about the pending software update for my car.

Today morning, the service representative called me and gave me a shocking news. He says the update could not be completed since the VAS is asking them to replace the INJECTORS because it is faulty. He informed me that to replace the entire set of injectors it would cost me Rs. 91,000 /-

Now what do I do? The car is not under warranty. My question is how can injectors turn faulty just after 29000 kms ??

What options do I have?
No need worry. Its good VW has come up stating injectors are problematic. 1.6 TDi injectors manufactured before 15 June 2012 are prone to malfunctioning. Its advisable to replace them. But VW mostly does it when there is a problem and not on recall basis.

My Vento April 2011 purchase developed same issue during my onward return journey from Hyderabad on 25 Feb 2014. 2 injector failed which were replaced free of cost under goodwill. Later on other 2 injectors failed on 12 July 2014. They were replaced under extended warranty free of cost.

Kindly go through the two post of mine which should give you more clarity.
1. Link 1.

2. Link 2.

Kindly find attached PDF which illustrates the problem with 1.6 TDi injectors manufactured before 15 June 2012. Show my post & the PDF to VW workshop people and tell them to replace 4 injectors under warranty or goodwill which ever they are okay with. No way they can demand Rs. 91000 for a problem which VW is very much aware of but doesn't do a recall for it.

After injector replacement, they will update the ECU thorough VAS as well.

Let me know for any further queries.

1 6l CR Injectors_Electrical fault-2.pdf
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 12:21   #7236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
1.Are you experiencing loss of power & acceleration?
2.Black smoke from the exhaust during acceleration?
3.Drop in Fuel efficiency?
4.Increase in NVH?
Hi Powertrain,

Answers to your questions.

1. NO
2. NO
3. YES
4. YES

The NVH is very high during morning. Vehicle rattles like anything.

Meanwhile, I was just going through the forum about this Injector problem and fortunately found thread created by El Lobo stating there is an advisory to all VW service centres to replace faulty injectors manufactured before June 2012. My vehicle comes under this category.

I have taken a print out of the advisory and now heading to the service centre to screw them. THANKS TO T-BHP.

Regards,
Anant
Old 9th October 2014, 12:30   #7237
Senior - BHPian

VW Palace Cross had mentioned they cost 40K when I was talking to them last time when I serviced my car. The price also seems problematic !
VW should recall the cars and do the replacement to prevent such cases.
Old 9th October 2014, 12:30   #7238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The NVH is very high during morning. Vehicle rattles like anything.
That's more than enough to confirm that your 1.6 TDi injectors abut to fail. Get them replaced ASAP under warranty/goodwill.
Old 9th October 2014, 12:35   #7239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
My Vento April 2011 purchase developed same issue during my onward return journey from Hyderabad on 25 Feb 2014. 2 injector failed which were replaced free of cost under goodwill. Later on other 2 injectors failed on 12 July 2014. They were replaced under extended warranty free of cost.
Quote:
I have taken a print out of the advisory and now heading to the service centre to screw them. THANKS TO T-BHP.

Regards,
Anant
Hello Anant,

Like el lobo said, the injectors are supposed to be replaced free of cost. Why the hell are you supposed to pay nearly 1L is above me.
As you rightly said, take a print out & throw it in their face. Also complain in VW's facebook page.

Regards,
Varun
Old 9th October 2014, 14:42   #7240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
VW Palace Cross had mentioned they cost 40K when I was talking to them last time when I serviced my car. The price also seems problematic !
VW should recall the cars and do the replacement to prevent such cases.
Quote:
That's more than enough to confirm that your 1.6 TDi injectors abut to fail. Get them replaced ASAP under warranty/goodwill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello Anant,

Like el lobo said, the injectors are supposed to be replaced free of cost. Why the hell are you supposed to pay nearly 1L is above me.
As you rightly said, take a print out & throw it in their face. Also complain in VW's facebook page.

Regards,
Varun
Hi Guys,

Had been to the showroom and met the GM of Bangalore Motors. He said he will take it up with VW to provide 50% of the repair cost as goodwill for which I did not agree. I showed him the service advisory for which he asked me this stupid question - "VW will ask me how the customer has tolerated this engine noise for more than 2.5 years. What can I tell them?? "

I said that the problem is with the injector going bad because of some issues which even VW has acknowledged. He said he will take it up with VW and get back to me in 2 hours.

And yes, there was no extended warranty taken during purchase. Sorry for this error.

What should I do guys? Can I talk to somebody senior in VW regarding this issue?

Regards,
Anant

Last edited by anantu2001 : 9th October 2014 at 14:49. Reason: Added matter
Old 9th October 2014, 16:48   #7241
BHPian

Hi guys,

Just received an update from VW.

They have agreed for a discount of 60% on Rs. 91,000 /-. What should we do?? Im pressing for 100% discount.

Can I have email ids of top people in VW so that we can write to them?

Regards,
Anany
Old 9th October 2014, 17:15   #7242
Senior - BHPian

This is really bad. Sometimes even I wonder if my Vento would need the injectors replaced hearing the sound of the engine although it normally clatters a lot.

You can tell him that even normal Vento engines clatter a lot and as a customer how would you know if they are bad or just being normal.

By the way, they did replace my seat frames last month after 3.5 years under warranty. I hope they do the same for your injectors

Last edited by srishiva : 9th October 2014 at 17:19.
Old 9th October 2014, 17:56   #7243
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
He said he will take it up with VW to provide 50% of the repair cost as goodwill for which I did not agree.
Quote:
Hi guys,

They have agreed for a discount of 60% on Rs. 91,000 /-. What should we do?? Im pressing for 100% discount.
stick with your demand - the moment you see them bargaining on how much cost they will bear, it is a sureshot case of acceptance of their own fault.
With a vehicle having service intervals of 15k kms, it is very normal that 2.5 yrs pass without the problem getting detected. The customer is not expected to be an automobile expert to guage slight variations in engine noise. If there was a service directive, why was the vehicle not recalled for inspection ? VW has a huge database of all its customers with multiple contact details and the VIN# alloted to each customer. ASK THEM WHY THERE WAS NO RECALL.
Base your argument on this : "If VW is lazy to do vehicle recall and check the affected vehicles, how on earth can the customer be expected to pay for this, even if it is a case of a 100 rupees spare part ? The service directive clearly shows it is a manufacturing defect and not a wear and tear defect." - this should shut the case. If they still refuse, ask for their argument in writing, not from the dealer but from VW directly.

Last edited by venkyhere : 9th October 2014 at 17:59.
Old 9th October 2014, 18:14   #7244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can I have email ids of top people in VW so that we can write to them?
Tell VW Bangalore thats its not at all acceptable. All the work has to be done under goodwill and no charges are to paid against labor; its all free of cost. In the advisory it has been mentioned that injector before 15 June 1012 are faulty and if customer complains about following, they are to replaced under warranty.
1. Engine vibration / misfiring
2. Engine jerking & knocking noise

Write about your issue on VW Facebook page. They would ask for your vehicle details and would see to that the problem is rectified. VW Pune B.U.Bhandari did it under goodwill from VW, why does VW Bangalore has a problem with it? Have attached bill in my ownership thread, wherein it has been billed to VW Mumbai Head Office..

Link.

Quote:
"VW will ask me how the customer has tolerated this engine noise for more than 2.5 years. What can I tell them?? "
Tell the GM that knocking & excess vibration occur just few days before. Even in my case, the injector failed all of a sudden there was no issues with engine noise for past 3 years. Also tell him that you are writing about every thing on Team-BHP which gets noticed by everyone in automotive world.
Old 9th October 2014, 19:20   #7245
BHPian

Quote:
No need worry. Its good VW has come up stating injectors are problematic. 1.6 TDi injectors manufactured before 15 June 2012 are prone to malfunctioning. Its advisable to replace them. But VW mostly does it when there is a problem and not on recall basis......

Attachment 1297190
Quote:
1. Engine vibration / misfiring
2. Engine jerking & knocking noise

Write about your issue.......
Seeing this, I am now wondering whether the recent (post 4th service) loss of mileage has something to do with the injector failure issue. The car is an early Jan 2012 model.

All this time, I've been thinking my drop of ~2 KMPL was due to the change from Michelin 195/60/R15 PLC's to Michelin P3ST's (same size).

I replaced the PLC's with the P3ST's at 60,047 KM, just after the 4th service, and the drop in mileage dates from around that time - I cannot be sure whether it started before or after tyre replacement.

I have been blaming the tyres since my brother-in-law reports a similar loss in his Volvo S60 D5 after he changed his tyres to P3ST's.

However, there is a bit more engine clatter than I am used to hearing, so I am now wondering about the injectors.

I just got the car back after 1.5 months' downtime due to AC Compressor failure, which was thankfully covered under extended warranty.

I had discussed the loss of mileage with EVM TVM at the time of the AC Compressor repair and later when I gave the car for brake fluid replacement, but the SA, Santosh, vaguely fobbed the issue off on the tyres, and I did not push it further.

If the issue is really the injectors, then I guess I am looking at some more downtime.

I think I will take up with EVM TVM and have them take a hard look at the injectors.

Thanks for the info, el lobo.

Again, can we have a thread/post with links to all service advisories relevant to the Vento? If it were in this thread (say just after the review), or a thread in the Technical Section, it could be found easily.

It could also include a decoder to help owners decide if their car is covered in the advisory.

Seems necessary due to general lackadaisical attitude of VW/SSA on this topic.

Last edited by pillainp : 9th October 2014 at 19:24.

Most Viewed