Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 15:15   #7336

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post

As far as the gearbox mount is concerned, the noise itself is not from the gearbox or gear changes (they were smooth as ever). It was the rubber mount that was changed and no it is not covered under the extended warranty. It costs Rs.1300 for the part and Labour.

Regards,
Sid
Please elaborate regarding the gear box noise. At which gear did the noise came? Is it regarding the reverse gear?
Old 21st November 2014, 17:25   #7337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasnb View Post
Please elaborate regarding the gear box noise. At which gear did the noise came? Is it regarding the reverse gear?

This "noise" was isolated to a worn out gearbox mount. There was no noise, no issues with the gear box or changing or engaging any gears itself.

Sid
siddharthdeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 17:41   #7338
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Please keep updated regarding the same. BTW when is your service schedule?
My service is far away buddy, should be around march next year and i have no plans of going to the asc just for this issue. Will leave it as it is and show it during the service next year. Should be either the shifter mechanism or issue with the mount (though i have no vibrations etc on gear lever).
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 02:13   #7339
BHPian

Hello,

Would it advisable to buy a 10-11 months old (2014) Diesel Vento which might be lying at the Plant/Dealer for all this time? as its a Diesel car so the fuel lying in the tank might have been settled and thickened in the tank as I have read somewhere on this forum that you cannot keep a Diesel car lying idle for few months unlike petrol cars as the fuel gets settled and thickened in the tank which might affect the engine later on if the fuel tank is not cleaned.

I might get a good deal on the old (pre-facelift) Vento 1.6 TDI so asking and also the main reason being I like the old engine more compared to the current 1.5 TDI. It felt better and more powerful and was more fun to drive.

I need to make a decision in a matter of few days now so some expert advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by magikrider : 22nd November 2014 at 02:15.
Old 22nd November 2014, 11:59   #7340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Hello,

Would it advisable to buy a 10-11 months old (2014) Diesel Vento which might be lying at the Plant/Dealer for all this time? as its a Diesel car so the fuel lying in the tank might have been settled and thickened in the tank as I have read somewhere on this forum that you cannot keep a Diesel car lying idle for few months unlike petrol cars as the fuel gets settled and thickened in the tank which might affect the engine later on if the fuel tank is not cleaned.

I might get a good deal on the old (pre-facelift) Vento 1.6 TDI so asking and also the main reason being I like the old engine more compared to the current 1.5 TDI. It felt better and more powerful and was more fun to drive.

I need to make a decision in a matter of few days now so some expert advice would be welcome. Thanks.
Ask the dealer to show the car and make him start the vehicle. You may ask for a test drive too and decide. Except the fuel tank thing you mentioned, I don't think there will be a problem because 10-11 month old car should be acceptable provided you test drive it.
300 KMPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 18:33   #7341

Quote:
Hello,

Would it advisable to buy a 10-11 months old (2014) Diesel Vento which might be lying at the Plant/Dealer for all this time? as its a Diesel car so the fuel lying in the tank
.Thanks.
As we know most of the dealers have their stockyards as an open space, without any shed for the car. So a car lying for 10 months would have suffered a lot of dust and rains. Also the parking ground is not an evenly leveled ground. If the car is standing for months on an uneven surface, I guess it could have issues with the suspension. Adding to that the thickness of diesel stuff that you mentioned. Also consider that it can probably have had rats under its hood. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.
Regards
shreyasnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 18:58   #7342
BHPian

Quote:
As we know most of the dealers have their stockyards as an open space, without any shed for the car. So a car lying for 10 months would have suffered a lot of dust and rains. Also the parking ground is not an evenly leveled ground. If the car is standing for months on an uneven surface, I guess it could have issues with the suspension. Adding to that the thickness of diesel stuff that you mentioned. Also consider that it can probably have had rats under its hood. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.
Regards
Not really. Surfaces are levelled mostly. But yea, if that is the case then the car can be checked on stockyard itself. My friend had bought a 2012 Jetta Trendline in 2013. He got a whooping 1.9L discount. Even today, the car is running perfect. And I came to know that the car is old nearly after 5 months when my friend told me.
300 KMPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 19:34   #7343

@300kmph - I just tried to give an idea of worst case scenario. Make sure you do a compete PDI and don't forget tbhp's PDI checklist.
shreyasnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 03:53   #7344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
Ask the dealer to show the car and make him start the vehicle. You may ask for a test drive too and decide. Except the fuel tank thing you mentioned, I don't think there will be a problem because 10-11 month old car should be acceptable provided you test drive it.
Quote:
Regards
Thanks guys. I don't think Suspension problem or rats are a risk here. The main issues would be the Fuel settling and Tires if the car is stationary for months at a stretch. will check these two things with the dealer first. Only then will take any decision about it. Also the discount is not that big either but the only thing that attracts me is the older 1.6 TDI engine which was a stunner. I am repenting now as to why didn't I buy the car few months back and waited for the DSG.
Old 23rd November 2014, 05:51   #7345
BHPian

Quote:
Also the discount is not that big either but the only thing that attracts me is the older 1.6 TDI engine which was a stunner. .
As you say, discounts are not much. It is probably not a good idea to go for a vehicle lying in stockyard for that long. If may be fine, but, why take the risk with hard earned money .

DSG is a stunner too. I do not know if you have done a TD of that.

Old is gold. But, you should probably look forward. Just my thoughts.
Old 23rd November 2014, 23:54   #7346
BHPian

Hi

Hyderabad VW dealers are offering close to 1.1 lakh discount on Vento 1.6 diesel. Except double barrel headlights, rest of the changes seem insignificant. Of Course, not comparing dsg. Pls let me know pros and cons of 1.6 vs 1.5. Some dealers also have 2013 VIN models. But i am not interested. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gkoneti : 23rd November 2014 at 23:57. Reason: spelling correction
Old 24th November 2014, 02:32   #7347
BHPian

I wanted to compare the 1.5 TDI with the 1.6 TDI Engine. VW don't have the new 1.5 TDI car for test drive yet but Skoda does so I took a test drive of the Rapid 1.5 TDI MT and then the Vento 1.6 TDI. I felt the new 1.5 TDI Engine loses its grunt after 3500 rpm or so when you rev it where as the old 1.6 TDI is quite free revving and has a much better top range. for example I felt the need to change to 3rd gear from at the speed of around 40-45 km/h. The Engine felt little strained and gruff after that where as the 1.6 TDI could go till almost 60 km/h and felt much smoother and free revving and has a better top end comparatively. 1.6 TDI was more fun to drive. That said, the 1.5 TDI is also not a bad engine. Its also good fun to drive and far better than others in its segment. Just that the 1.6 TDI has an edge. Wish VW had not changed the unit. but in a way its the best time to get the 1.6 TDI now as there are good discounts offered. Though I am just being offered 70k + another 10-15k Insurance margin.
Old 24th November 2014, 07:30   #7348
BHPian

Quote:
Would it advisable to buy a 10-11 months old (2014) Diesel Vento which might be lying at the Plant/Dealer for all this time? .
If I am in your place, for 80k discount, i won't buy 10 months old vehicle. Why?

1. Vehicle was lying in stockyard without any protection form rain, dust, heat etc. 10 months is long time, definetly fuel will settle inside the tank and tyres can't be in good condition given the harsh environment and tyres being loaded on the same area for long time. Air pressure will dropdown withn 3-4 months completely. I am sure they will inflate again when they are handing over/show to you. Imagine vehicle is idle for even a month with deflated tyre/s
2. When you want to sell after your use, you may not get the good resale value, because by the time it reached you..its already a year old.
3. I have heard from some friends, who have brought 4-5 months old VW vehicles performing good, but not 10-11months.
4. Why that vehicle is still there in stockyard? if this is the only vehicle with that dealer, which can fetch this discount...if so simply i won't buy. How to identify this:Ask the dealer, for your deal what other color opotions available or how many are there of the same color, you can bluff them by saying....you and your friend want to buy together etc..
5. If there is only one vehicle with this offer, straight away reject. There may be other risks like used as demo/dipsplay car, it might had damged during transportation (they might have ignored till date and just realised to clear the inventory)
6. VW(this is done by dealer, still i should say VW should represent dealer) can sell display/test drive vehicles. Elite motors banagalore(now its VW HOSUR ROAD) sold display vehicle as brand new. He had struggled alot after shelling close to 20L.

Personally i never advice any friend to buy 10 months old vehicle, because discount is not the worth when compared to the risk/loss you may face in fututre.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 21:02   #7349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
If I am in your place, for 80k discount, i won't buy 10 months old vehicle. Why?

1. Vehicle was lying in stockyard without any protection form rain, dust, heat etc. 10 months is long time, definetly fuel will settle inside the tank and tyres can't be in good condition given the harsh environment and tyres being loaded on the same area for long time. Air pressure will dropdown withn 3-4 months completely. I am sure they will inflate again when they are handing over/show to you. Imagine vehicle is idle for even a month with deflated tyre/s
2. When you want to sell after your use, you may not get the good resale value, because by the time it reached you..its already a year old.
3. I have heard from some friends, who have brought 4-5 months old VW vehicles performing good, but not 10-11months.
4. Why that vehicle is still there in stockyard? if this is the only vehicle with that dealer, which can fetch this discount...if so simply i won't buy. How to identify this:Ask the dealer, for your deal what other color opotions available or how many are there of the same color, you can bluff them by saying....you and your friend want to buy together etc..
5. If there is only one vehicle with this offer, straight away reject. There may be other risks like used as demo/dipsplay car, it might had damged during transportation (they might have ignored till date and just realised to clear the inventory)
6. VW(this is done by dealer, still i should say VW should represent dealer) can sell display/test drive vehicles. Elite motors banagalore(now its VW HOSUR ROAD) sold display vehicle as brand new. He had struggled alot after shelling close to 20L.

Personally i never advice any friend to buy 10 months old vehicle, because discount is not the worth when compared to the risk/loss you may face in fututre.
I will think about the car only if its 4-5 months old. Definitely wont take if its 10-12 months old car. Even 6 months is much as its a diesel car. So will take the call once I get the info about the manufaturing month. VW hasn't cleared the inventory yet as they are still pushing the old 1.6 TDI saying the new one will be delivered only in Jan/Feb. let see. Hoping to find a 3-4 months old car with a good discount!
Old 25th November 2014, 14:07   #7350
BHPian

I don't know what is the overall opinion of the members (Vento owners) regarding the reliability and quality of components in VW cars, especially Vento.

Back in the 80s, while in UK, I have owned a Polo and a Passat diesel without any problem and have always believed in the quality of VW products.
It was with the same belief that I went for a Vento diesel HL in 2012 January. I have clocked almost 35000 Kms. While the overall experience has been quite satisfactory, there has been frequent component failures. Since the car is still under extended warranty, I have got these replaced free of cost, but the frequent visits to the VW service puts me off. Moreover, the confidence that I had in taking this car on long road trips have taken a beating. I am always scared that something or other will go wrong. VW have to ensure the quality of components, sourced from other suppliers, failing which their reputation, which by no means is quite brilliant now, will be questionable. The following have been my problems

1. Change of faulty O rings for the injectors
2. Change of faulty ABS sensor on the Front Lt wheel last year
3. Change of faulty ABS sensor on the front left wheel last month
4. Change of faulty air intake sensor
It was fortunate that I took the extended warranty

A colleague of mine has had almost all these problems. In addition, the car once stopped on the highway due to some ECU problem and the road side assistance came after 6 hours, making them sweat it out in the hot summer. He wrote a mail to VW office, but never got a reply.He has fresh problems now and has taken the car to VW, promising that he will never again go for a VW product. His ABS light is ON and the fuel gauge has stopped functioning. He is yet to know the cost of repair, the car is out of warranty.

What on earth is happening to the legendary German Engineering?
premc44 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks