Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 09:11   #7471
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
Couldn't post an update last week on the issue. After talking to the service manager and VW, finally they offered me a 100% goodwill on the fuel injectors with the cost of labor (INR 2000) being borne by me.
Thanks for fighting with VW and showing the way to fellow VW vehicle owners.

Quote:
Dear Sir,
Greetings for the Day...!!
As discussed over phone, we are pleasure to offer you 100% goodwill on the effected injectors.
It is purely approved based on the customer loyalty and history of your vehicle.
Hence as discussed, we are going ahead to perform the repair work and closing your concern as you confirmed.

Kindly acknowledge the same.
Any further assistance, please feel free to call us @ 24X7

Thanks & Regards,
Sreekanth V
Manager- Service
Volkswagen Deccan-After Sales
Mody Auto Ind Pvt Lt
This is extract of your previous post.

I don't really understand the bold part in their communication i.e "It is purely approved based on the customer loyalty and history of your vehicle". How will they differentiate between VW customers? What is the yard stick to identify good or bad customers? Why the hell they should decline in the beginning to replace injectors FOC and accept later? They don't have any shame to put the blame on adultered fuel (actually the injectors are defective otherwise all the injectors should get effected the same way). Shame on VW!
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 20:12   #7472

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I had the same issue because of defect in the steering column. It was changed under warranty FOC by the service centre after complaining 3-4 times and raising the issue with VW.
I visited the centre. Regarding the vibration have been asked to change the engine and gearbox mountings. Regarding the noise they told me to change the front suspension springs and then if required the steering rack would be changed. None of them are covered in extended warranty as they are rubber parts except the rack. Told them not to change front springs as would see to it later.
Old 16th January 2015, 12:26   #7473
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: *Rumour*2016 VW Vento spied- to launch Mid 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2016 VW Vento (Internal Codename Vento GP) is speculated to be spied undisguised. Engine options will remain the same.

1) New Headlamp
2) New Grille
3) New Front Bumper
4) New Rear Bumper
5) New Tail Lights
6)New Alloy Wheel Design
7) New Horizontal Strip on Boot Lid

The New Vento scheduled for a June Release is speculated to have the below changes too, in addition to those quoted above.

1.Headlamps, with the addition of projectors and LED day-time running lights on the top-end trims
2.The interior too will be brand new and you will see features such as reverse parking assist and Sat-Nav being introduced, that are slowly becoming a standard fare in this segment.
3. Volkswagen may even go a step further and add electric-folding mirrors, with integrated blinkers on the outside.

This will take care of Guys complaining of the family looks between Vento and Polo. This external change to Vento will not be carried over to Polo.

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/scoops...launch-110246/
Old 16th January 2015, 16:42   #7474
BANNED

Aw man, I just bought the GT TSI. Would've sprung for the vento DSG if all this is true. But, 2016 is quite a long ways far.
Old 16th January 2015, 17:25   #7475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Aw man, I just bought the GT TSI. Would've sprung for the vento DSG if all this is true. But, 2016 is quite a long ways far.
Sorry to disappoint you the launch will be in 2015 as in the report.
Old 16th January 2015, 21:05   #7476

Hello Friends, this is my first post in the forum though I have never missed reading a page in this particular thread. I have a 2011 Vento which has done around 48,000 km now. For the past eight months, I have been noticing the engine noise going up. Initially the problem was while the car was used in Bangalore which I assumed was due to the cooler climate & dust (Sarjapur road). As months passed by, the noise started coming up while the car was in use in TN & Kerala. I reported the issue to VW E –City Bangalore, but they said the issue was with poor fuel quality, got the exact same answer from VW Cochin while the car was undergoing service. As a couple of months passed by, the car sounded like a tractor for the first 10 -15 km with very poor pick up & later it would be fine. But on my last drive from Bangalore to Kottayam, the noise was there even after driving 400 km, though the sound was much lower. Since I was in Kottayam, I thought I would have the car checked at VW Kottayam. Kottayam being a small town, I did not have many expectations. The service advisor test drove the car and immediately told me the car needs to be recalibrated & it was in fact quite noisy. It was such a relief, at last someone acknowledged a truth which I had been trying to convince VW. The advisor also informed he would need half tank diesel to get the job done. I left the car there and by evening I got a call stating they are voluntarily replacing the injectors under extended warranty & 100 % VW contribution towards the cost. Though there was no failure, he mentioned the injectors were showing signs of possible failure. I took delivery of the car the next day & it felt like a new car now. The pick-up is so much better & the engine was quite even at first start, early morning in Kodaikanal. The car behaved quite well even when it reached Bangalore. Along with this, VW Kottayam also replaced the engine mount which they said was weak. The same was not covered under warranty though. I was very impressed with VW Kottayam.

But a few concerns

• One worry is when they gave the invoice, they did not hand over the copy for the fuel injector replacement. The advisor mentioned that as the parts were replaced under warranty, the bill would be handed over to VW & not to the customer. Is this true ?
• My car has done only 48,000 km and I see smoke coming out of the engine oil level check stick. Should I be worried? I read a similar comment by another member in this group. I have used the car with utmost care and 80 % of the distance covered by the car has been only on highways between Bangalore – Kerala. Speeds during these runs would be around 110 -140km. Does running at such speeds put the engine under strain?
• I have been noticing another issue near the belt near the AC compressor. It’s a tick tick noise and the noise vanishes if the car runs a few KM or is left to idle for 5 min. Unfortunately I have been unable replicate the issue with VW till date as the car would be warm by the time I reach VW service center.
Rohit Kuruvilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 21:31   #7477
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Kuruvilla View Post
• One worry is when they gave the invoice, they did not hand over the copy for the fuel injector replacement. The advisor mentioned that as the parts were replaced under warranty, the bill would be handed over to VW & not to the customer. Is this true ?
Which world are VW living in?

Accepted it is a warranty repair so the main bill should be worth VW that doesn't mean the customer doesn't get anything.

It always:

-- Dealers copy;

-- For warranty repairs they send one to their head office too IIRC;

-- customers copy

With both the above having the same matter printed.

Quote:
• My car has done only 48,000 km and I see smoke coming out of the engine oil level check stick. Should I be worried?

Does running at such speeds put the engine under strain?
Colour of the smoke? Black or white?

Keeping speeds at 100-140 kmph won't harm the engine IMO but our roads don't permit prolonged holding of these speeds do nothing to worry.

Quote:
• I have been noticing another issue near the belt near the AC compressor. It’s a tick tick noise and the noise vanishes if the car runs a few KM or is left to idle for 5 min.
Check for the belt slack and pulley condition.

Do take a video and show it to VW guys.
Old 16th January 2015, 23:07   #7478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The advisor mentioned that as the parts were replaced under warranty, the bill would be handed over to VW & not to the customer. Is this true ?
Reading your post, it was easy to understand that injector were going to fail. At least they didn't while you were travelling, but I wasn't so lucky.

They should have given a bill to you. Every job done under warranty, a customer copy is given. Ask them to email a soft copy to you for your reference.

Quote:
My car has done only 48,000 km and I see smoke coming out of the engine oil level check stick. Should I be worried?
Piston ring going bust? That's what I have read on earlier post.
Old 16th January 2015, 23:14   #7479
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Oh ya, you are right.

I didn't read the whole thing, I thought smoke was coming out of the tail pipe. Missed reading the dip stick part.

If it is the dip sick that is yielding the smoke then piston rings are bust or on its verge.
Old 17th January 2015, 04:26   #7480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car has done only 48,000 km and I see smoke coming out of the engine oil level check stick. Should I be worried? I read a similar comment by another member in this group. I have used the car with utmost care and 80 % of the distance covered by the car has been only on highways between Bangalore – Kerala. Speeds during these runs would be around 110 -140km. Does running at such speeds put the engine under strain?
I am uploading a video of my friend's Rapid which has only done 35,000 kms and is showing similar white puffs of smoke from oil dipstick. We came back from a casual highway drive of around 150 kms and i just checked this after reading your post, to my horror, i could see puffs of white smoke coming out. What is this? Are the piston rings bust? I parked the car after coming home, idled for 2 minutes and then checked this smoke coming out.

My Vento has done 34,000 kms and i will give it a check tomorrow to see if i face the same issue. Both Vento and Rapid have had their all 4 struts changed this week as the rear ones were totally shot and the front ones were weak, both the car's have their engine mounting bust, Rapid had it changed just this month during service and even mine has a lot of play.

Wonder if VW have cut too many corners in quality of mechanical parts with both Vento/Rapid. Struts going bust at 35k kms, injector failures, engine mounts going bad within 40k kms and now white smoke from dipsticks, never heard of such things with other cars, these are major parts and these failure are too premature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Colour of the smoke? Black or white?
Do take a video and show it to VW guys.
It is white puff of smoke, have a look at the video please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
El lobo, can you do me a favour please?
Have a look at your Vento's dipstick next time you go for a drive and do update if your car is free from this issue. Shall take it up with VW, am getting tired of so many part failures now. I dont think my car will survive till 60-70k kms, will have to sell if before the extended warranty expires.

Please lower the volume before viewing the video or this 1.6 TDi will blow your ear drums

Attaching the photo of the rear blown strut at 34,000 kms.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_1009-copy.jpg

Last edited by coolboy007 : 17th January 2015 at 04:28.
coolboy007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 07:10   #7481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
• My car has done only 48,000 km and I see smoke coming out of the engine oil level check stick. Should I be worried?
Yes, that is bad. Do get it checked ASAP. And no, those speeds can't harm the 1.6 TDi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I am uploading a video of my friend's Rapid which has only done 35,000 kms and is showing similar white puffs of smoke from oil dipstick.
Man! That looks quite bad. It could be the head gasket too.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 07:29   #7482
BHPian

Quote:
I am uploading a video of my friend's Rapid which has only done 35,000 kms and is showing similar white puffs of smoke from oil dipstick.
OMG @35k kms piston rings gone kaput? Too early for a VW/Skoda car. I will also check my car and confim.

Quote:
My Vento has done 34,000 kms and i will give it a check tomorrow to see if i face Both Vento and Rapid have had their all 4 struts changed this week as the rear ones were totally shot and the front ones were weak, both the car's have their engine mounting bust, Rapid had it changed just this month during service and even mine has a lot of play.

Wonder if VW have cut too many corners in quality of mechanical parts with both Vento/Rapid. Struts going bust at 35k kms, injector failures, engine mounts going bad within 40k kms and now white smoke from dipsticks, never heard of such things with other cars, these are major parts and these failure are too premature.
These VW/SKODA siblings are like a ticking time bombs after extended warrany. I have made my mind to sell it off before EW. IMO it's not the worth risk with so much high probability of risk.

Quote:
It is nothing less than a secondary/mini exhaust pipe. Piston rings are gone for sure, rings are the only parts(apart from piston) separate crank case (where oils is stored) and combustion chamber. This should be covered by warrany. As busted piston rings cause the leak of compressed air and un expanded hot gases, car FE could have come down significantly. Did you/your friend noticed any drop in FE. This is another confirmation of health of piston rings and cylinder head gasket.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 17th January 2015 at 07:30.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 08:11   #7483
BANNED

Quote:
Struts going bust at 35k kms, injector failures, engine mounts going bad within 40k kms and now white smoke from dipsticks, never heard of such things with other cars, these are major parts and these failure are too premature.
VW surely playing games here in India without no one to guard the customer and the rights, the game of loot is busy being played by such manufacturers.

These parts last the life of the car but in this case it seems to be manufacturing defect that needs address!

BTW, is the car under warranty?

Quote:
Woah!

Looking at the video I urge you take the car to ASC right away and get it rectified. If at idle RPM this is the smoke emitted, then I can't what it could be at full chat! IMO no less than a RTC bus!

White smoke means it is consuming oil (read unburnt oil fumes). Do keep a close look on the oil after the drive as the level go below "Low" that could be dangerous for the internals.

Do get the piston rings checked.

Do keep us updated!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 08:27   #7484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am uploading a video of my friend's Rapid which has only done 35,000 kms
Piston ring wear -> Loading of combustion products into engine oil -> faster engine oil degradation -> engine degradation.

But before suspecting the rings, the PCV valve/breather hose needs to be suspected.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 09:34   #7485
BHPian

This doesn't seem to be an issue as such. I don't see a reason to panic. I guess the same fumes would be visible from any car dipstick if it is is removed with a running engine after a half an hour or longer drive. Mods can correct me if I'm wrong. See, the dipstick goes all the way down into the oil sump where all the oil collects after travelling throughout the engine and doing its critical lubrication jobs. In the process the oil obviously gets considerably heated up to very high levels and the dipstick tube acts as a vent for the vapour when opened. Hence you see the phenomenon. Further, if your piston rings are bust, you should see smoke in the exhaust first! Maybe oil too in some cases. The ASC's just might get a wild idea to start billing everyone just for fun if you tell them your rings are bust. Fun for them. So wait up on what the mods have to say and then proceed. By the way I also think you're not supposed to be checking your dipstick on a running engine as it will give you a false reading.

Most Viewed