Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2015, 01:30   #7921
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Saw the new facelifted Vento up close a few days back, and I must say that it is a beautiful vehicle indeed. The small changes made have brought in a world of difference to me, specially the tighter rear and the Jetta'ish front end.

I have preferred the looks of Linea to Vento earlier, but after the facelifts of both- Vento becomes my favourite C segment sedan in terms of looks, followed by the sleek looking Ciaz.
Old 4th September 2015, 17:56   #7922
BHPian

Hello Team.

My Vento TDi is a Dec 2011 manufactured car. After reading about the injector issues on this forum, I had them checked during my routine service in March this year. One injector out of the four was reported as faulty and changed under extended warranty.

The car was running fine until recently when I started experiencing very mild and intermittent jerking when accelerating and coasting in higher gears. Apart from this rare intermittent jerking, there is nothing else wrong with the car.

Took the car back to VW Rajajinagar on 1st Sept. Unfortunately the senior QC manager with whom I enjoyed a good rapport, quit a few months back and a new person in his place was assigned to me along with a new SA. They seemed pretty enthusiastic. I asked them to check the injectors again. Could not stay back to see the test being carried out as i had a busy schedule at work.

MFMA/fuel adaptation was supposedly done and the report is an all clear.

The SA told me that new adaptation values have been fed in and the ECU software too has been updated. I caught this "ECU also updated saaar" lie of the SA because the technician on the floor said that the software was already the latest one and no other software update has been performed on my car.

On the drive back home I found the car too be a wee bit more refined but the mild jerking in higher gears is still there.

I am still not convinced with the work done and am worried about injector failure more so because the extended warranty expires in about 6 months.

Does the report seem fishy? Is there anything else I can do to check/test the injectors to rule out problems in future?

Any feedback/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Regards
ASVA
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento-inj-report-tbhp.jpg  

Old 4th September 2015, 18:04   #7923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
MFMA/fuel adaptation was supposedly done and the report is an all clear
A log is generated when the MFMA update is done, and saved on the computer - on the desktop, in the case of the Gurgaon service station. Ask to see the log and scroll through to see if all is ok. It's a long report & requires a lot of patience.

The part to watch out for is where it confirms that the injector update has been applied - any error requiring any further injectors to be replaced will be right below the confirmation message.

Ask to see it, and in case they say they don't have it (impossible, as per my knowledge), vociferously demand the process be repeated in your presence.
bosporus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 21:45   #7924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
Thank you bosporus and abhinavb for your response. I have booked an appointment with workshop (VW Palace Cross, Bangalore) on Monday. I will request SA for me to be with the engineer when they are running the scan. I will post an update on the outcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Hi..Any update on the injector issue? Did you have the minimum quantity adaptation test carried out on the car?
Here is an update. I gave the car on Monday to VW Palace Cross, Rajajinagar workshop for general check up. The request is to check the brake, clutch and run the minimum quantity adaptation diagnosis. I requested SA that I would like to be there in person when minimum adaptation is being done and he readily agreed.

General Check up:
SA said they would fist complete the general check up as the laptop for running MFMA is occupied. First they carried out the general check up and as part of that brake pad and the disc was replaced. This is fine as during 4th service the SA said it can come for another 2500 Km only and it is already 2500 Km since 4th service. Other item that they replaced is wiper blade. SA said clutch can continue for some more time.

Here is the main part (Minimum quantity adaptation):

At 2 PM they ran the minimum quantity adaptation, it lasted about 10 min, I was hoping that at the end it suggests to replace the injectors as my extended warranty expires by 20th Sep 2015. At the end it came out with the result suggesting to replace all the 4 injectors. I was happy to see that, though in normal situation I should be worried .

I asked them to show me the log and it clearly said exactly same message as bosporus and other in this thread mentioned. They saved the log and also took the screenshot of the result. I have taken the screenshot of the result (please bear with the picture quality as flash has spoiled it) and attached it.

SA told me that all 4 injectors need to be replaced and I replied in affirmative and told that vehicle has extended warranty. SA said, he will have to check with warranty department which is few feet away. He had a little long discussion and told me that extended warranty expired by 30th Aug 2015 as the vehicle sale date is 31 Aug 2011.

I politely told him, I took the delivery on 21 Sep 2011 and extended warranty should be applicable till 20-Sep-2015 and have shown him the extended warranty booklet.

He took the booklet and had further discussion, I could see that they pulled up the extended warranty certificate on the monitor and it clearly mentioned extended warranty expires on 20-Sep-2015. SA came back and said they will try for the extended warranty and he wanted 4th service invoice copy (I have done the 4th Service in different workshop - Volkswagen Whitefield), I had a copy of the same in my mobile and mailed it to them.

At about 4 PM they got the warranty approved and they had the injectors in stock. I thank TBHP and other Vento owners who posted relevant details which triggered me to take this action .

Injector replacement:

SA requested me to leave the vehicle in the workshop as they would start the work immediately and deliver it next day. I left the vehicle and left for the day. I did not get any update on 1st Sep 2015, when I called at around 04:00 PM, sa updated me they completed replacement of injectors and they need to do road test and he can only deliver it on 2nd Sep 2015. I was little sceptical and I did not have any other option and agreed.

On 2nd Sep 2015, they did not want to take a risk of taking the vehicle out as nationwide strike was called for.

Finally, road test was completed on 3rd Sep 2015 and all is clear. I reached workshop around 05:00 PM and took a test drive and did not find anything alarming. SA confirmed ECU update and MFMA has been completed after injectors were replaced. I paid the bill for general check up and took the delivery at about 6:00 PM.

I had driven the vehicle for about 60 km and I find the engine is smooth, pick up is better and I also see improvement in mileage. I will have to observe for some more time for me to confirm the same.

Overall, it was good experience with the workshop except for the small discussion on warranty. The cost of all 4 injectors INR 81,000 and labor of INR 669. I have attached the invoice below. You may notice the suggestion to replace two broken AC Vents. I will have it replaced latter point in time.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-mfma-scan-outcome.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-invoice-2.jpg  

AutoInt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 09:08   #7925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
Hello Team.

MFMA/fuel adaptation was supposedly done and the report is an all clear.
You can refer to my post on the same topic http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3795064

The result screen in my case recommended to replace all the 4 injectors. I was there to witness the same. In addition to the screen, as mentioned by bosporus, there will be a detailed log (will have your car's VIN) where you can find the outcome of minimum quantity adaptation.

Its the same workshop a day before you took your Vento. May be the same SA. In your case, either injectors are still good or the diagnosis was not carried out correctly properly. You could ask for MFMA to be done again in front of you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th February 2016 at 11:50. Reason: Fixing link :)
AutoInt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 17:28   #7926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
Ask to see it, and in case they say they don't have it (impossible, as per my knowledge), vociferously demand the process be repeated in your presence.
Thank you for the prompt reply and suggestion. Since I have another few months left for the warranty to expire, I will use the car for a month or so more and go back to them and have it done in my presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
Its the same workshop a day before you took your Vento. May be the same SA. In your case, either injectors are still good or the diagnosis was not carried out correctly properly. You could ask for MFMA to be done again in front of you.
Yes! its the same workshop. Would have been nice to meet you if we were there on the same day. Matter of fact, when I protested that I wasn't happy with the test carried out and that I suspected foul play, the technician showed me a log of another Vento tested "recently", where it showed the results clearly stating the need to replace all injectors and that the result log of mine didn't have any such message. Must have been the log of your car!

In any case, I am determined to take the car back to them in about a month or so, once I am a little more free, and have the test carried out in my presence. Thank you for your reply.

Regards
ASVA
Old 7th September 2015, 10:46   #7927
BHPian

Noisy rear suspension:

The last few weeks, a noise from the rear of the car has been bugging me: seemed to be coming from the rear left door. After frustrating attempts to contain it, including an extensive spray of all doors by VW, on a whim, I pressed down on the trunk, and there it was, that loud creaking sound, coming from the both the left & right rear shock assemblies. The sound was the kind a noisy spring would make.

I took it to the VW service station, and my friendly SA & a test driver mounted the car on a lift: they pronounced the suspension assembly to be in perfect condition, and called for that 3M lubricant spray (not sure what it's called but is the same one that's also used on doors, when noise is reported from them). They sprayed on all the joints in the suspension assembly and voila, the sound is gone. After living with this for almost a month, 15 minutes at the service station is all it took to fix it

Money spent: Zero rupees.

I had read online that this is usually an indicator of bushes or rubber mountings needing replacement but they said it was all good. They said this happens occasionally, but are not sure why, but they say the spray fixes things for good. My car has barely been used in the last couple of months, and since it was the monsoons, they suspect that could be a reason.

Will report in case the sound reappears.
bosporus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 11:39   #7928
BHPian

My vento is a June 2014 manufactured 1.6 tdi. Will I have to expect the injector problem?
What is the right time to go for extended warranty? - before 1 year or just before the expiry of standard warranty?
Old 11th September 2015, 19:12   #7929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
My vento is a June 2014 manufactured 1.6 tdi. Will I have to expect the injector problem?
What is the right time to go for extended warranty? - before 1 year or just before the expiry of standard warranty?
You can take extended warranty anytime from the date of purchase till the expiry of standard warranty. Refer to the attached document downloaded form VW India website for further details.

It is not possible to say whether your injector will develop problem or not. You could ask the ASC to do the minimum quantity adaptation when you visit them next time. You need not worry as you still have warranty and you can go for extended warranty.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vw_extended_warranty.pdf (1.81 MB, 351 views)
Old 14th September 2015, 01:04   #7930
BHPian

The plastic panel, covering the under surface of the armrest of my 6 month old Vento, came off loose today. Luckily, the armrest adjustment is still working. The mechanic had warned me initially itself to be careful about the armrest adjustment mechanism and also the a/c vent control knobs as those were the commonest complaints they received from other customers ( especially those with naughty kids- just like mine). Planning a visit to the ASS soon.
Old 15th September 2015, 09:25   #7931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha View Post
The mechanic had warned me initially itself to be careful about the armrest adjustment mechanism and also the a/c vent control knobs as those were the commonest complaints they received from other customers
I've saved the a/c vent till now. What has fallen off for me is the rear cabin lamp switch! It just came off loose; there was some white lubricant thing applied over it when inspected.

Anybody else?
Old 15th September 2015, 12:51   #7932
Senior - BHPian

My car battery got dead today morning after continuously serving me for 4y 3m.This is 2011 Vento TDI 1.6 HL. OEM Battery was VARTA and it clocked 79493 kms as on today. Still running stock clutch. Have only changed the suspension to Bilsteins B6. The vehicle is completely stock.

Have gone for Amaron FLO cost 4700/- including exchange of old batter. 2y replacement warranty + 2y Service warranty.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 15th September 2015 at 12:53. Reason: Added few more details
Old 16th September 2015, 01:22   #7933
BHPian

Hello

I had taken my car for the minimum adaptation of injectors yesterday to Vishal Cars, Kanpur. After repeated failures at initiating the test, when the test finally started (which at the start mentioned it to be of 40 minutes), it abruptly came to an end within 2-3 mins and the screen displayed 'test complete', result 'ok'.

I insisted on seeing the log as I was not satisfied as to how the test ended within few mins when the results could have been gauged only after 40 mins as mentioned on the VAG COM screen as well.

Finally, when they showed me the log, there was no report and the status showed 'please wait'. It further mentioned the adaptation to be carried out for 40 minutes in red. Attaching the picture. I showed them the picture from Bhp-ian Bosporous's post. However, they could not explain and kept on insisting that the test was complete and all is working fine.

It would be a great help if somebody could direct me to some technical personnel at SAIPL.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0006.jpg  

torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 15:19   #7934
BHPian

When I start my Vento TDI 2013 model in the morning(cold start), get a bad/toxic smell from the exhaust that goes away in a minute. I do not get this smell in the evening(when i leave from office) even after the car is idle for around 8 hours.
Is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
When I first start my Vento TDI in the morning, I get a burning smell. This is always in the morning and happens 7/10 times. It goes off in a minute or so. When I park my car at office at about 10am and then again start it in the evening at about 6pm, ie., after a gap of say 8 hours, I do not get this smell. 8 hours is enough to cool the engine but still in the evening start I do not experience this.

My car has done only about 7400kms. So it's no where near to its service schedule.

Any clues, what could be the issue? Has anyone else noticed a similar behaviour?

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari
Hi Aniket,
What was the reason for the smell in the morning. I am facing the same problem. Is this serious, should I take my vento tdi to service station?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th September 2015 at 16:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 17th September 2015, 18:14   #7935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Hello

It would be a great help if somebody could direct me to some technical personnel at SAIPL.
The minimal quantity adaptation done in my car took about 7 to 10 minutes and results recommended to replace all the four injectors. Not sure about 40 minutes for the same.

Either the did not set up the procedure correctly or something went wrong.

One option I can think of is for you to take your car to different workshop in your location and ask them to run the same and see if it comes with proper report. You may also raise a complaint with Volkswagen customer care.

Not sure if workshops are doing some tricks to avoid injector replacement under warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks