Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2016, 08:43   #8176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P242 View Post
Got the car checked today and their system showed EGR failure. The part is not in stock so they ordered it and will take a week to arrive and is covered in extended warranty. Once they new EGR is in the injectors will be re checked. Hoping everything gets resolved soon.

What could be the main reason of EGR failure ?

I had a similar issue in my Rapid TDI. Initially the service centre said it was an EGR failure and later it turned out to be a Turbo failure. Thank god the car was covered under extended warranty else the turbo costs a whopping 1.5 lakhs!
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 09:50   #8177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I had a similar issue in my Rapid TDI. Initially the service centre said it was an EGR failure and later it turned out to be a Turbo failure. Thank god the car was covered under extended warranty else the turbo costs a whopping 1.5 lakhs!
1.5 lakhs? That looks like a rip off!! A quick search in SparesHub.com reveals that a Garrett turbocharger is about 43k and a Borg Warner turbocharger is about 52k. Didn't know VW's packaging was so expensive
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 11:40   #8178
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

My car is due for service and is scheduled for a service tomorrow.

Last service, the SA mentioned about oil leak which would need O-ring replacement. When I challenged him to show me the part for verification, he said he will check and confirm. Later he confirmed that they are all fine and no need for replacement.

When I checked the engine bay today I find that there is some dark greasy stuff under the engine and I am not sure whether it is a oil leak. Attaching the photos that I took from the passenger side (LHS) under the engine. Can you guys help me on this?

The first photo is a long shot. Second gives a closer view.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20160126_105637.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20160126_105720.jpg  

Old 28th January 2016, 09:40   #8179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey P242, this seems to be a norm with VW TDI engines
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I just have one major concern which is spoiling my night's sleep. The symptoms my car showed i.e. heavy shuddering from front end while driving like engine is going to come out any moment points to injector failure. Also 5-6 times car took really long to start i.e. 15-20 seconds instead of the usual 4-5. As the car is primarily used on highways I cant take the risk of engine failure next to no where.

The workshop guys says its EGR failure because the system tells them. We tested injectors and it showed fine. I will be really grateful if someone can confirm that shuddering can also be a symptom of EGR failure.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th January 2016, 12:39   #8180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
When I checked the engine bay today I find that there is some dark greasy stuff under the engine and I am not sure whether it is a oil leak. Attaching the photos that I took from the passenger side (LHS) under the engine. Can you guys help me on this?
In reference to the above issue, can any of you help me. The SA says its a faulty fuel return hose/line/pipe, that causes diesel to leak. However I have not felt any difference in the way it drives till now. Is it really possible for this to get damaged on its own or could it be due to some mishandling by the staff, when they were trying to clean or fix some other issue?
Old 28th January 2016, 15:50   #8181
BHPian

Hello Folks,
My trusty Vento has just crossed 90000km on the odo. I had called the VW service station in Pondicherry regarding the service appointment and he said it will take 3 days for the whole regular service rigmarole because, in view of the recent flooding, their service station is still full of flood victims. As I had a few appointments and commitments which are going to count in for a few Chennai and Coimbatore trips, I had asked him if it was possible to get it done a bit earlier, for which he replied saying the car will be fine for another 2000 or 3000km and I need not worry, to bring in the car when I can spare 3 days of time for the service.
My doubts are:
• Can I drive the car beyond its designated service interval, with the “Insp” warning that comes on every time I start the car?
• If I can, should I adhere to any specific limitations or tips to prevent any adverse outcomes?
• Any idea what are the parts that would require replacement and what could the approximate cost of the service be?
• I am planning to keep this car for the next one or two yrs. Should I be worried about the maintenance? I regularly drive around 1500 – 2000km per month, 60% of highways and rest of the kms within the city. Please advise.

I am currently running on Yoko S drive shoes (205/55/15) which are nearing their end of life. Maybe another 2000km left in them. Am quite happy with them, but would not mind a change, with the same size in mind. I had a look at Continental which is around the same price range. Should I stick with Yokos? Is there a better tire out there which can provide a better, and more importantly, a quieter ride? Again, I’m not an expert in tire selections so, am open to suggestions.

Took a few pics recently.. looking forward for some valuable suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-fullsizerender_2.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-fullsizerender_1.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-fullsizerender.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-fullsizerender_3.jpg  

Last edited by Doc_nikhil : 28th January 2016 at 16:19. Reason: Adding pics
Old 30th January 2016, 07:56   #8182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Hello Folks,
My trusty Vento has just crossed 90000km on the odo. I had called the VW service station in Pondicherry regarding the service appointment and he said it will take 3 days for the whole regular service rigmarole because, in view of the recent flooding, their service station is still full of flood victims. As I had a few appointments and commitments which are going to count in for a few Chennai and Coimbatore trips, I had asked him if it was possible to get it done a bit earlier, for which he replied saying the car will be fine for another 2000 or 3000km and I need not worry, to bring in the car when I can spare 3 days of time for the service.
My doubts are:
• Can I drive the car beyond its designated service interval, with the “Insp” warning that comes on every time I start the car?
• If I can, should I adhere to any specific limitations or tips to prevent any adverse outcomes?
• Any idea what are the parts that would require replacement and what could the approximate cost of the service be?
• I am planning to keep this car for the next one or two yrs. Should I be worried about the maintenance? I regularly drive around 1500 – 2000km per month, 60% of highways and rest of the kms within the city. Please advise.

I am currently running on Yoko S drive shoes (205/55/15) which are nearing their end of life. Maybe another 2000km left in them. Am quite happy with them, but would not mind a change, with the same size in mind. I had a look at Continental which is around the same price range. Should I stick with Yokos? Is there a better tire out there which can provide a better, and more importantly, a quieter ride? Again, I’m not an expert in tire selections so, am open to suggestions.

Took a few pics recently.. looking forward for some valuable suggestions.
First of all congratulations on reaching almost a lakh kms on the Vento. It gives me some kind of relief after hearing many of the Ventopians selling of their Vento after 4/5 years considering high maintenance costs.

Even this thread had become a bit mute these days with many of the vento lovers going silent. My couple of queries above and queries from others as well have not been answered. :-(

Now coming to your questions. My car too had crossed the service day and a couple of days I have been driving with IN5P. My SA too said its fine to run a few days. But not sure whether you can run it for a few 1000 kms.

Regarding the Pondy service centre one of the Ventopians went to Salem for service as he found that the Pondy service center guys were just ripping their customers. So just be sure whether you would really want to go there.

Most of the service related info like this one, do not specify details above 75000 kms. Lets wait for other Ventopians to comment.

As far as my knowledge goes Yokos should do just fine.
Old 30th January 2016, 12:53   #8183
BHPian

Quote:
My car is due for service and is scheduled for a service tomorrow.

Last service, the SA mentioned about oil leak which would need O-ring replacement. When I challenged him to show me the part for verification, he said he will check and confirm. Later he confirmed that they are all fine and no need for replacement.

The first photo is a long shot. Second gives a closer view.
This time they are saying that the Valve door and the fuel return pipe had gone kaput. They are quoting 18K for the Valve door and 8K for the return pipe. Though the valve door is covered under warranty, the return pipe is not. I am not sure whether I am being ripped off or this is indeed a problem. Can you guys help me with your experience or any info on this?
Old 30th January 2016, 14:16   #8184
BHPian

Quote:
In reference to the above issue, can any of you help me. The SA says its a faulty fuel return hose/line/pipe, that causes diesel to leak. However I have not felt any difference in the way it drives till now. Is it really possible for this to get damaged on its own or could it be due to some mishandling by the staff, when they were trying to clean or fix some other issue?
It is very unlikely that the fuel return hose will develop a leak, as it is made of fibre. There are four nipple like connectors that go into the injectors and these can be broken, if not handled properly. I had the same problem, please read my post and its follow up in this forum on Page 505 and 506.

Last edited by premc44 : 30th January 2016 at 14:18.
Old 30th January 2016, 14:57   #8185
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove new vento 1.5 TDI recently. Compared to old 1.6 TDI, I found the gear shift was rubbery and clutch was heavy. Also is it true that first batch of ventos had imported gearbox and now it is localised? Vento brochure mentions it has only ABS. What about EBD and brake assist?
Old 30th January 2016, 17:29   #8186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
It is very unlikely that the fuel return hose will develop a leak, as it is made of fibre. There are four nipple like connectors that go into the injectors and these can be broken, if not handled properly. I had the same problem, please read my post and its follow up in this forum on Page 505 and 506.
Thanks, Premc44. Now, the reason is out. They say that the return hose will go kaput once removed as it is a fragile rubber part though they take every precaution to ensure its safety. Hence proactively they charge the customer. I just told take every precaution to not break. He says he can't guarantee that. :-(
Old 30th January 2016, 18:59   #8187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Premc44. Now, the reason is out. They say that the return hose will go kaput once removed as it is a fragile rubber part though they take every precaution to ensure its safety. Hence proactively they charge the customer. I just told take every precaution to not break. He says he can't guarantee that. :-(
They want to remove the return hose to check for the source of leak? Or is there something more that I missed out? :what:
Old 30th January 2016, 19:10   #8188
BHPian

@Turbohead, they have already identified the source of leak. They have to replace the valve door. To do that they have to remove the return hose and fit it as before once valve door is fixed
Old 30th January 2016, 22:27   #8189
BHPian

Guys ,noticed a thing tonight after parking the car after 80 km very sedate drive in highway. The cooling fan which used to run after switching off engine didn't run at all. It got me alarmed. Is it normal that it doesn't run after a sedate drive ?or is something faulty and should get it checked soon? No other fault indicators were lit on the instrument console though.
Old 30th January 2016, 23:28   #8190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Guys ,noticed a thing tonight after parking the car after 80 km very sedate drive in highway. The cooling fan which used to run after switching off engine didn't run at all. It got me alarmed. Is it normal that it doesn't run after a sedate drive ?or is something faulty and should get it checked soon? No other fault indicators were lit on the instrument console though.
Its normal sometimes my Vento's fan runs after only 30 minutes of ride and sometimes doesn't run at all after 200 km of spirited driving. You can also feel the heat by touching the bonnet. If the car overheats it gives an indication in the instrument console. Just to be sure have a look at coolant level.

PS: A simple temperature gauge is sorely missed.
P242 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed