Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2016, 16:20   #8191
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Guys ,noticed a thing tonight after parking the car after 80 km very sedate drive in highway. The cooling fan which used to run after switching off engine didn't run at all.
The fan is activated based on how hot the engine is at the point of time when you switch it off. It could be that the fan had cooled the engine down a bit shortly before you parked, or because of the sedate drive it didn't get too hot to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P242 View Post
PS: A simple temperature gauge is sorely missed.
Yup, this would have prevented a lot of heartache.
Old 1st February 2016, 12:06   #8192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

Yup, this would have prevented a lot of heartache.
you can get a blue tooth OBD and see the temperature on smart phone. Pretty straightforward to do so. Enough material is available for the same online.

I agree a Temperature gauge is missed .
ShaileshHinge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 12:33   #8193
BHPian

• Any idea what are the parts that would require replacement and what could the approximate cost of the service be?

Just gave my Vento for the 90K service and the SA informed of the following replacements apart from the normal service costs.

1. Timing belt : Aprox cost 12500
2. Alternator Belt : Aprox Cost 1000
3. Water Pump (If required) : 6500

There may be requirement to change the brake pads and discs based on the condition.

Suggested a total cost of aprox 35K for 90K service.
Old 1st February 2016, 12:41   #8194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post
• Any idea what are the parts that would require replacement and what could the approximate cost of the service be?

Just gave my Vento for the 90K service and the SA informed of the following replacements apart from the normal service costs.

There may be requirement to change the brake pads and discs based on the condition.

I was told by my Skoda Rapid SA that we dont need to replace Timing belt at all. Its lifelong unless it gives problems. Please check again if its really needed.( i had gone for 75K service)
Also 90K seems very early even if its to be replaced. My TATA earlier the timing belt was replaced 110K KMs.

Last edited by ShaileshHinge : 1st February 2016 at 12:42.
Old 1st February 2016, 13:13   #8195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
I was told by my Skoda Rapid SA that we dont need to replace Timing belt at all. Its lifelong unless it gives problems.
To be replaced at 210 000 km. Most owners would have switched their cars before it reaches that limit.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_2155.jpg

Here is the previous page, just for info:

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_2153.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 13:44   #8196
BHPian

Is there any methodology for checking if the timing belt needs to be changed or not. Just spoke to the SA and he said it is the general instruction from VW to change the timing belt at 90K. Have asked him to send the details through mail where it is instructed.
Old 2nd February 2016, 22:03   #8197
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any methodology for checking if the timing belt needs to be changed or not. Just spoke to the SA and he said it is the general instruction from VW to change the timing belt at 90K. Have asked him to send the details through mail where it is instructed.
Any updates on the timing belt ? did they push you to change it ?
Old 2nd February 2016, 22:21   #8198
BHPian

When i went for 75K KM service last week my SA told me that next service is going to be costly one and he also mentioned these timing belt replacement etc will be done.
When i asked for rough estimate for next year service he mentioned 40,000/- approximately. :(

Anyway do let us know if these changes are genuine or dealer just trying to make profit by pushing these changes earlier than recommended.
Old 2nd February 2016, 23:39   #8199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P242 View Post
The workshop guys says its EGR failure because the system tells them. We tested injectors and it showed fine.
Finally the EGR is replaced today under warranty. The car is back on road and will drive for 500km and then will get VAG scan done to make sure everything is working fine. It would have been a costly affair if I didn't had extended warranty.
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:55   #8200
BHPian

Quote:
Any updates on the timing belt ? did they push you to change it ?
After looking at the discussion here I called up the SA requesting to share the info where it was specified that timing belt needs to be changed. Then requested to meet the service manager for a discussion. He then showed a chart where it recommends a change at 90K. This info is not available any where else. Asked them to share info if the timing belt was changed in all cars at 90K service. He said they can not pull out info in that manner. Going to rate the service poor and see it VW is able to respond clearly.

In fact they had gone ahead and changed it first thing after I left it at the service station. It cost me 12000 + labor to change the same. Total service cost including the change of brake discs and pads was 31K.
Old 3rd February 2016, 18:31   #8201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After looking at the discussion here I called up the SA requesting to share the info where it was specified that timing belt needs to be changed. Then requested to meet the service manager for a discussion. He then showed a chart where it recommends a change at 90K.
Did you check your manual if it states a change of the belt at 90,000 kms? If not, then it's not required. Period. This logic applies to any manufacturer, any model.

I believe that's what @gannu_1 shared. Over that if you went ahead and agreed for the change, then the fault is also yours to agree to their suggestions.
Old 5th February 2016, 15:47   #8202
BHPian

Just got back my Vento TDi from its 4th service. Done at VW Palace Cross Service Station at Rajajinagar.

The car had a problem of mild intermittent jerking from the past few months. Had the adaptation done and the injectors checked back in Sept '15 and the test came clear. However, the problem persisted.

This time around, while giving the car for servicing on the 3rd Feb '16, I mentioned the problem to the SA and gave a stern warning that I wanted everything checked thoroughly and the problem solved. The SA, Mr. Rakesh, is known to me for the past year or so and is a knowledgeable chap. He assured me of the best.

They kept the car for 2 days, apparently because they couldn't identify the reason for the mild jerking and repeated adaptation and scans threw up nothing about the injectors.

Finally, got a call from the SA on the 4th saying they found a few wires had been partly chewed by rats and that was the reason for the problem. The SA tells me that the entire wiring loom needn't be replaced and that he will cut the wires and re-join them using connectors. This, as per the SA, is standard VW procedure for partly damaged wires. Gave them the go ahead to do the needful. A video and few photos of the chewed wires were shown to me during delivery.

The over all service experience has remained as good as usual. No complaints on that.

My only doubt is, can partly chewed wires really result in the car jerking intermittently?

After taking delivery of the car and driving it a short distance, it seemed to run fine.

Paid a total of 12,xxx. Out of which 3,xxx was for a few connectors and labour charges for the re-wiring. VW parts and labour are really expensive!

Hoping the problem is solved. Fingers crossed!

Regards
ASVA
Old 7th February 2016, 01:33   #8203

Hello gentlemen. I am facing a minor issue in my car since the past two days. The engine seems to "hunting". It revs at every gear , needle shoots up to 3k from 2k rpm before coming down to around 2k at somewhat normal acceleration, similar to what would happen if the clutch is slightly pressed during acceleration. I thought it would be due to cold starts but had that been the case, shouldn't it have cropped up earlier? Besides, the really cold part of winter is already gone. Car has done 78700 kms till tonight.
This is happening only since two days back. To be more precise, every time the turbo kicks in, the revs shoot up but pick up is delayed by a little while. And no, it isnt the normal turbo-kick because that would also give instant pick-up.
PS - the SA told me that the clutch needs overhaul because it is hard. Could this be something related to a clutch issue?
Old 7th February 2016, 08:27   #8204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuSuresh View Post
Hello gentlemen. I am facing a minor issue in my car since the past two days. The engine seems to "hunting". It revs at every gear , needle shoots up to 3k from 2k rpm before coming down to around 2k at somewhat normal acceleration, similar to what would happen if the clutch is slightly pressed during acceleration. I thought it would be due to cold starts but had that been the case, shouldn't it have cropped up earlier? Besides, the really cold part of winter is already gone. Car has done 78700 kms till tonight.
This is happening only since two days back. To be more precise, every time the turbo kicks in, the revs shoot up but pick up is delayed by a little while. And no, it isnt the normal turbo-kick because that would also give instant pick-up.
PS - the SA told me that the clutch needs overhaul because it is hard. Could this be something related to a clutch issue?
I may be wrong but I think your clutch plate is slipping. If so change the clutch plate ASAP before things become worse.
Old 7th February 2016, 12:37   #8205
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
I was told by my Skoda Rapid SA that we dont need to replace Timing belt at all. Its lifelong unless it gives problems. Please check again if its really needed.( i had gone for 75K service)
Also 90K seems very early even if its to be replaced. My TATA earlier the timing belt was replaced 110K KMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
To be replaced at 210 000 km. Most owners would have switched their cars before it reaches that limit.

Attachment 1467124

Here is the previous page, just for info:

Attachment 1467125
I hit 90K on my November 2011 Vento couple of weeks ago and gave the car for service last week. Here is the list of things they've mentioned.
  • Filters need to be changed
  • Brake pads are worn out, need replacement and possible discs as well
  • Suspension seems wonky and might need to be looked at
  • Timing belt needs to be replaced, they usually do it between 90k-100k
  • Clutch is acting up and needs to be changed, this I can tell needs replacement, clutch itself has gotten really hard lately and it is becoming hard to shift as well

I just did the basic service and asked them to put all the upgrades on hold as I was looking to change the braking and suspension to Brembo and TRW for a while anyway rather than going stock. I was even looking at what could be done to the clutch besides stock.

It is my mom's car but then again she has been using Honda lately and I've been getting more action on this as of late, that 1.6TDI and its torque give me a fat grin on my face all the time.

I'm trying to analyze what all needs to be replaced for the brakes, was going to go with Brembo discs and pads, want to change the calipers to a 4 piston if possible.

As for the suspension, I was looking at TRW dampers, I've read that the height of the car is still like stock but they do much better job damping than the stock suspension. Anything else that I need to look at in this context?

Any feedback would be appreciated guys

EDIT: Any idea if the brake pads are TYPE 1 or TYPE 2 for Nov 2011 Vento?

Last edited by sweetvar26 : 7th February 2016 at 12:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks