Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2017, 13:15   #8671
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Hello guys, I need help with some queries. Yesterday took the car to Bangalore and after entering the city, the glow plug icon started flashing. I Continued to drive inside the city and while coming out, the check engine light also joined in. I called up the VW Salem SA and he assured that it's not a serious problem, adviced me to drive sedately and reach home. I drove the car back home (about 380 kms) at constant 80 kmph and came home. And have brought the car to work today with both those icons lit up. So, here comes my questions.
1. Is that a serious problem?
2. If so, what might be the problem?
3. Is it mandatory that I visit service centre as soon as possible?
Some more info for you to help you answering my queries easier.
1. I regularly fill diesel from reputed outlets, the last full tank being on a shell bunk.
2. Car is regularly and promptly serviced at VW centres.
3. Battery is just 3 months old Exide branded.
4. No, the car didn't limp and there was no loss of power.
5. Stalled the car twice in toll gates and restarted quickly.
6. No there was not any visible rat bite damage to exposed wires and cables.
Thanks in advance.
I believe one or more glow plugs might have failed. You said that you stalled the car at the toll gates, but your could start it. The reason being the engine was sufficiently warmed up and there was sufficient heat in the combustion chamber to ignite the fuel immediately in the next start.

Today morning when you started the car, did you observe any kind of hesitation? Also during morning start when you crank the engine, make someone stand at the backside of the car and observe the exhaust gases. If the smoke coming out has a whitish tinge then that could probably be due to the unburnt gases coming out from the cylinder whose glow plug has failed.
Old 13th March 2017, 11:12   #8672
BHPian

Just sent my car for service (105000 kms). SA says that timer, belt etc need to be changed at a cost of Rs.28K. This is over and above the standard service costs that comes to around 11-12K every time. I asked if they will change only if there is wear, but he says it is advised to change those parts for trouble free run.

Any experience of changing/not changing these post 1L KM folks? Advise to go for change at such huge cost or delay it?
Old 13th March 2017, 11:41   #8673
BHPian

My Vento (Highline Diesel 1.6) has done almost 80k. When I sent it for a check up few days back I was told that the clutch needs to be replaced and the cost of entire clutch assembly will be around 45-50k. Is it this expensive? And no, I have not felt anything particularly wrong with the clutch.

I remember changing the clutch on my swift (petrol, 1.3ltr) costing me less than 10k although that was a few ears back. Also, any idea what is the normal life expectancy of the clutch in the Vento? I am still on the original clutch so far.

Thanks!
Old 13th March 2017, 11:43   #8674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Just sent my car for service (105000 kms). SA says that timer, belt etc need to be changed at a cost of Rs.28K. This is over and above the standard service costs that comes to around 11-12K every time. I asked if they will change only if there is wear, but he says it is advised to change those parts for trouble free run.

Any experience of changing/not changing these post 1L KM folks? Advise to go for change at such huge cost or delay it?
The usual change period suggested by VW is 90K. I had changed it. The total cost including timing belt change and regular service cost came to around 30K. The regular service cost used to be at 10K. So i think the timing belt change should cost around 20K.
Old 13th March 2017, 11:56   #8675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollapalooza View Post
My Vento (Highline Diesel 1.6) has done almost 80k. When I sent it for a check up few days back I was told that the clutch needs to be replaced and the cost of entire clutch assembly will be around 45-50k. Is it this expensive? And no, I have not felt anything particularly wrong with the clutch.

I remember changing the clutch on my swift (petrol, 1.3ltr) costing me less than 10k although that was a few ears back. Also, any idea what is the normal life expectancy of the clutch in the Vento? I am still on the original clutch so far.

Thanks!
Sounds high, but may be normal for a VW. I am at 105K but clutch feels fine and have not made any changes.
LandCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 12:21   #8676
BHPian

Some of the things that I don't like about the current gen Vento (2012 model, pre-face lifts). Learning after running the car for 1L kms:

1. Ride is not very comfortable. At moderate speeds lot of bounce inside (back seat especially). Wheel thud sound over speed breakers.
2. AC vents poorly designed. Air flow mainly covers neck, face and head and cant be lowered to cool the body. Inadequate cooling during hot days.
3. Headlight beam. Very weak and inadequate on most situations
4. 15 inch wheel with difficult tyre upgrade options. Should have 16 inch wheels and 205 tyres as standard.
5. Very plain car without features, but got added on during later revisions (No Bluetooth, phone support, auto dim mirrors, folding mirrors, projector lamps)
6. Poor handrest position
7. Horn pad too hard to press (may be changed in later versions)
8. High service costs.
9. Front bumper too sharp and low, scratches kerbs, speed breakers and bumps easily.
10. Engine noise of diesel is very high

Good things:

1. Automatic climate control option
2. Leatherette seats + rear adjust lever for front passenger
3. Mileage (15/22 km) City/Highway
4. Soft controls and dials (mostly done well)
5. Strong diesel engine performance + power delivery (no need to downshift urgently)
6. Simple and elegant understated design

Of all these most annoying to me are AC vent design, weak AC, inadequate headlights which have slightly dented the happy ownership of an otherwise excellent car from VW.
Old 13th March 2017, 14:19   #8677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I believe one or more glow plugs might have failed. You said that you stalled the car at the toll gates, but your could start it. The reason being the engine was sufficiently warmed up and there was sufficient heat in the combustion chamber to ignite the fuel immediately in the next start.

Today morning when you started the car, did you observe any kind of hesitation? Also during morning start when you crank the engine, make someone stand at the backside of the car and observe the exhaust gases. If the smoke coming out has a whitish tinge then that could probably be due to the unburnt gases coming out from the cylinder whose glow plug has failed.

Thanks mate. The problem got solved on its own. I didn't get time to visit the A.S.S and after three days, the indicator stopped blinking. I check for white smoke, power loss or change in FE figure and found no change in anything. Hence, assuming bad fuel to be the culprit. Will get it checked thoroughly during 90k service by next month.
Old 14th March 2017, 13:28   #8678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post
The usual change period suggested by VW is 90K. I had changed it. The total cost including timing belt change and regular service cost came to around 30K. The regular service cost used to be at 10K. So i think the timing belt change should cost around 20K.
I was given this quote (attached screenshot) today by ABRA motors for 105000 km service. These parts are advised to be replaced at a cost of 32K which is over and above teh standard service cost of 13.5K the SA says. Whopping 45K for a 1L service, unexpected for me. Under 30 would be something I would how gulped without much surprise.

Any advice if these are expected changes? I do not have any issues report with the car and it is running fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vw.jpg  

Old 14th March 2017, 18:41   #8679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any advice if these are expected changes? I do not have any issues report with the car and it is running fine.
SA at ABRA Motor is taking you for a ride and expensive one too.

Coolant if filled for life and doesn't require a flush. Its mentioned in the manual. Do ask the SA to read it properly and lodge a complaint with VW India.

So all the below mentioned things have been added to inflate the bill.

Remove the following:

-Parts:

Water Pump Rs. 5327
Coolant Rs. 1048
Coolant flushing Rs. 698
PVC Hose Rs. 1135

-Labour:
Coolant Flushing Rs. 1200
PVC Hose Rs. 450

Edit: I hope nothing is wrong with coolant system to warrant the replacements.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 14th March 2017 at 18:42.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 14:20   #8680
BHPian

Quote:
Some of the things that I don't like about the current gen Vento (2012 model, pre-face lifts). Learning after running the car for 1L kms:
I have a 2016 model, so my observations after six months driving.

Quote:
1. Ride is not very comfortable. At moderate speeds lot of bounce inside (back seat especially). Wheel thud sound over speed breakers.
I find it comfortable, especially more so in the rear seat. However at slow speeds it is indeed a bit rough. Running over rumble strips at 20 kmph transmits the shudder onto people in the car. It is not bouncy, it adsorbs bumps with one movement but the suspension bottoms out a lot with metal to metal sound.
Quote:
2. AC vents poorly designed. Air flow mainly covers neck, face and head and cant be lowered to cool the body. Inadequate cooling during hot days.
Probably too early to comment on this, no problem yet.
Quote:
3. Headlight beam. Very weak and inadequate on most situations
High beam strength is adequate. I would like higher beam throw at both low and high beam: at low to see far away speed breakers and at high to give it to those ones perpetually on high beam with their 100w bulbs.
Quote:
4. 15 inch wheel with difficult tyre upgrade options. Should have 16 inch wheels and 205 tyres as standard.
True but I still prefer 15" wheel for comfort.
Quote:
5. Very plain car without features, but got added on during later revisions (No Bluetooth, phone support, auto dim mirrors, folding mirrors, projector lamps)
Tick, except projector headlamp.
Quote:
6. Poor handrest position
I like it.
Quote:
7. Horn pad too hard to press (may be changed in later versions)
I like it. The whole steering wheel is good, feels premium.
Quote:
8. High service costs.
Got few dent / scratch repair done, found it to be reasonable.
Quote:
9. Front bumper too sharp and low, scratches kerbs, speed breakers and bumps easily.
Right
Quote:
10. Engine noise of diesel is very high
TSI engine is very quiet, engine bay insulation is also done very well.
Old 17th March 2017, 10:51   #8681
BHPian

Urgent query guys - I had asked a doubt about glow plug and engine malfunction icon lit up in my vento a few days back. The problem settled off by itself only to resurface again. So, I took the car to Salem VW for diagnostics. I am told that O2 sensor and wiring have to be replaced, costing 1000 RS X 2 for sensors + 250 RS for wiring + 1000 for labour. I am at service centre now and can use your suggestions regarding it now. Can I exchange them under extended warranty?
Old 17th March 2017, 11:15   #8682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Urgent query guys - I had asked a doubt about glow plug and engine malfunction icon lit up in my vento a few days back. The problem settled off by itself only to resurface again. So, I took the car to Salem VW for diagnostics. I am told that O2 sensor and wiring have to be replaced, costing 1000 RS X 2 for sensors + 250 RS for wiring + 1000 for labour. I am at service centre now and can use your suggestions regarding it now. Can I exchange them under extended warranty?

You can certainly try to push for it. If they say it can't be replaced under warranty, ask them for a justification. And get it in writing from the Manager that said parts are not covered under warranty and must be paid for by the customer should they fail.
You can then contact VW customer care for further resolution.
Old 21st March 2017, 08:34   #8683
BHPian

For quite sometime everyone who is sitting in my vento complains about nausia or vomitting. The same folks travel comfortably in my elite i20. I am not sure what the root cause is. Vento is still on original suspensions and they seems to be holding good. It came with heavy suspensions since it's Jan 2011 make. I have 205/55 s-drive from day one.

Is it car specific or there is no straightforward reason for something like this?
Old 24th March 2017, 14:00   #8684
BHPian

I changed stock battery a week back. Everything works fine except this speed limiter on the MID. This has somehow set itself at 30 KM/H and whenever I cross the speed limit, it starts flashing.

Any Idea how to disable it, or to re-set it at a higher speed level so that it stops the annoying sound?
Old 24th March 2017, 15:36   #8685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
Everything works fine except this speed limiter on the MID. This has somehow set itself at 30 KM/H and whenever I cross the speed limit, it starts flashing.

Any Idea how to disable it, or to re-set it at a higher speed level so that it stops the annoying sound?
This should be easy. Scroll to the speed warning option on the MID and click the OK button (the one underneath the stalk). This will now give you the option to change the speed warning threshold, which can be done by using the same button on the side that you use to scroll through the menu. The value can be incremented by multiples of 5.

Last edited by VivekCherian : 24th March 2017 at 15:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks