Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2017, 14:19   #8731
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
If you are driving 75/kms a day, it makes complete sense to get an automatic. Do check if the AT has either a dead pedal or space to rest your left foot. The S-cross has Cruise Control which helps in longer drives.
My Highline AT has a dead pedal. However the left foot does not move at all while driving an AT, so it might be comfortable even without a dead pedal.
Old 5th May 2017, 16:12   #8732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
However, I need help with (2). I have read coolboys post on the TRW struts. However he is in Delhi & I believe he ran into issues later with TRW giving up the ghost in 30K Kms. I would appreciate if someone can recommend where I can acquire the parts reliably in Bangalore and pointers to a reputed garage who can do a good job. I would prefer pointers from Vento owners who may have experience with these garages directly working on their car - preferably suspension work. Alternatively, I am wondering if one should go with the company struts and have them replaced in my service window.

Finally, pointers on point (4) is also much appreciated, though its not a must on my radar today. (1) (2) & (3) are the important ones that need to be ticked off by this month.
I did a bit of research on this in our forum. If you want the car to be as comfortable as possible, go with the shock absorbers and dampers provided by the VW SC. Look no further.There will be body roll though. They've made it very soft recently.

If you want the ride to be stiffer than stock, read on.

For the front dampers, you can get the Sachs. It's listed on Spareshub( I have nothing to do with them anyway) . The rear ones can be had in TRW itself. If not TRW, the other options are listed in the TRW thread itself.
FYI, the stock dampers lasted as much as the TRWs for Coolboy007. Which is good enough for the price. And all those who used the TRWs for the Vento were more or less happy. Some have bought it again despite the similar life.

If budget isn't a concern, look at Bilsteins B6. At 70-90k they're pretty high up the ladder but reviews suggest that they're not a bad investment.

Sorry for the really late reply though.

Last edited by Turbohead : 5th May 2017 at 16:14.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 16:44   #8733
BHPian

Quote:
Pound for pound, the S-cross is a better car in terms of stance and ergonomics.
I had a short test drive of Vento highline diesel DSG, Rapid diesel DSG and Scross 1.3. Most of the drive was on very bad service roads.

Low speed ride at the back was better in Vento and Rapid due to its relatively soft suspension, lower stance. S-Cross had more body roll due to its higher stance and relatively stiffer suspension. Have you felt similar in your Vento and SCross?
Old 5th May 2017, 19:19   #8734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
I had a short test drive of Vento highline diesel DSG, Rapid diesel DSG and Scross 1.3. Most of the drive was on very bad service roads.

Low speed ride at the back was better in Vento and Rapid due to its relatively soft suspension, lower stance. S-Cross had more body roll due to its higher stance and relatively stiffer suspension. Have you felt similar in your Vento and SCross?
Not noticed any noticeable difference but the first thing I did when I got the S-cross was that I changed the crappy stock JK Elanzos to Yokos. I am unsure if it was a placebo effect, but I did notice an immediate difference in ride quality.

Regarding body roll, from what I understand sedans by their very nature have less body roll than taller cars. (If someone wishes to correct me on this, please do so).

Again, this boils down to preference - in terms of drive and features, most cars are pretty souped up these days. Every car has bit or pieces which will be better.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 20:01   #8735
BHPian

Quote:
Pound for pound, the S-cross is a better car in terms of stance and ergonomics. Considering the S-cross is new, it won't be prudent of me to comment on maintenance costs. My biggest grouse with the Vento has been the lack of a dead-pedal. The Vento is solidly built though.

But I must point out that my driving is very less - I probably drive 120 km/week. If you are driving 75/kms a day, it makes complete sense to get an automatic. Do check if the AT has either a dead pedal or space to rest your left foot. The S-cross has Cruise Control which helps in longer drives.
Thanks buddy. Yes I checked the car and comfortline dsg comes with a dead pedal and also cruise control. He is giving me an offer of 12.27 OTR for comfortline dsg diesel.
Old 7th May 2017, 16:29   #8736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
Thanks buddy. Yes I checked the car and comfortline dsg comes with a dead pedal and also cruise control. He is giving me an offer of 12.27 OTR for comfortline dsg diesel.
Hi,

Did you talk with them about this offer, I know you are only looking at TDI DSG.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4194611

Regards.
Old 7th May 2017, 18:19   #8737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,

Did you talk with them about this offer, I know you are only looking at TDI DSG.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4194611

Regards.
I am not sure how old is this offer... But i got the quote from the offer that came 2 days back and it is only on comfortline model.
Old 7th May 2017, 20:24   #8738
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure how old is this offer... But i got the quote from the offer that came 2 days back and it is only on comfortline model.
Hi,

This was in yesterday's newspaper and on VW portal.

Regards.
Old 8th May 2017, 14:50   #8739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarsh10 View Post
UPDATE:
Meanwhile they have completely removed the faulty wire - according to them it's better this way. So, now the "check engine light" is permanently on.

They have placed an order for the EGR Wire and expect it by the end of the week. I have been advised to use the car as if nothing has happened and ignore the "check engine light"

I was charged a total of 750+taxes for running the scan. Pretty annoyed with the fact that I will have to make another trip to the service centre within a week.
UPDATE: Last friday I got a call at about 10:30 in the morning to bring in the car for the EGR Wire replacement as they had received it. I reached by 12:30 pm and since it was almost time for lunch, the actual work started only after 2 pm on the car. I was present during the entire process my myself - the actual wire replacement took no more than a minute or so but they ran the VAG-COM on the car for over an hour doing stuff none of them bothered explaining to me. Since it was a rare and 'complicated' issue, 3 of their top technicians were figuring out the best way to do it supervised by an engineer. To me, it looked like any other normal 3 mm wire, obviously it was VW branded but it was just another wire; no special EGR Wire. Finally, once it was all done and the "check engine" light was gone, we went for a 20 km road-test, all of it driven by me as according to the road-test guy, I know my car better and it was the best way to figure out if everything was okay. Everything did turnout to be okay - and I finally received the car at 5 pm after washing etc. The total bill was Rs. 2814, this included half a litre of engine oil top up. Phew !
Old 10th May 2017, 12:33   #8740
BHPian

Has anyone done the recent software update for Vento? One of my office colleague claims that the new software is causing more engine noise! Can someone confirm on this please?
Old 11th May 2017, 12:27   #8741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Has anyone done the recent software update for Vento? One of my office colleague claims that the new software is causing more engine noise! Can someone confirm on this please?
What your colleague mentioned is true. Search in our forum and you'll find a dedicated thread on the same where members are debating about it and the changes noticed post the update.

I confirmed from my SA that the noise of the engine increases, but should settle down in future. I would think that the settling down of the noise in future is just the person getting adapted to it. As part of software update, they'll also add a filter in front of the air filter that will reduce the airflow. That could affect the performance of the car if you enjoy not so sedate driving.

I've said NO to the update as I love the car in its current form.
rejeen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 16:08   #8742

Hello BHPians,
I am a proud owner of Jan2012 Vento TDi 1.6 Highline.
As the stock Music System only has USB via MMI cable, i have found a simple and economical workaround to play your Phone's song via Bluetooth.
I don't know whether this has been posted earlier or not (mods please help) but you can do this by simply attaching iBall BT Audio Receiver USB Adapter to your USB MMI cable. I got this one @ Rs.449 in Croma.
This device once plugged in to USB port, will show some 2 or 3 mp3 files. According to the player its just a USB with 2-3 files in it. But internally this device receives the bluetooth audio and keeps writing to the mp3 file. so whatever you play from your phone is written into the mp3 file which the player plays via USB.
As I explained, this device writes into buffer which is read by player. My VW Vento HU being USB2.0, I get a lag in the music. Which means, when I press next in mobile, after 3 seconds, I hear the song changing in car.
But thats not really a problem for me. I love this device because when I change the song in my Steering Control, the song changes in my mobile (sometimes you have to press twice or thrice)

Below are some pros and cons :
Pros:
1. The bluetooth audio is converted to digital file and fed to player in digital format. No humming noise or anything. Crystal clear sound.
2. Spend 450 bucks and convert your Car stereo to BT speaker.

Cons:
1. In USB2.0 players, there is a 3 seconds lag between whats played an whats heard.
2. In USB3.0 players, there is some noise when the song is not playing (Paused/Next-ed)
3.Audio from voice call will not be played on car speakers. (I will take is as Pro more than con )

Verdict :
It is a good device to keep in your car just to shut some over enthusiast friends up, who always wanted you to listen songs from their phones. (I will still prefer to play songs stored in Pendrive )
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-iball.jpg  

Old 11th May 2017, 17:36   #8743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Hello BHPians,
I am a proud owner of Jan2012 Vento TDi 1.6 Highline.
As the stock Music System only has USB via MMI cable, i have found a simple and economical workaround to play your Phone's song via Bluetooth.
I don't know whether this has been posted earlier or not (mods please help) but you can do this by simply attaching iBall BT Audio Receiver USB Adapter to your USB MMI cable. I got this one @ Rs.449 in Croma.
This device once plugged in to USB port, will show some 2 or 3 mp3 files. According to the player its just a USB with 2-3 files in it
Hi Crowley ,
Nothing related to the above but need your advice as I can see your vento is now 5 year old. How is it running and is it dsg? How are you maintaining the car and is it coming out to be expensive as extended warranty is no more? I am asking because I am closer to finalising tdi dsg comfortline tomorrow as my running is 75kms/day and plan to keep the car for atleast 5-6 years or may be more. The only other options are ecosport and scross 1.3 alpha.? Please share your vento experience?
Old 11th May 2017, 18:03   #8744

Quote:
Hi Crowley ,
I am closer to finalising tdi dsg comfortline tomorrow as my running is 75kms/day and plan to keep the car for atleast 5-6 years or may be more. The only other options are ecosport and scross 1.3 alpha.?
Hello SpoiledBratt
My Vento is manual not DSG. And regarding your query, Its running extremely well. Yes there was some issues earlier including The Very Old & Famous Vento Injector Scam which popped up after Extended Warranty but that has been taken care of after some mails and threat of Consumer Court.
Apart from that no any major issues, just annual service.
You can try to rectify some issues just before end of your Extended Warranty, which will give you added 1 or 2 years of trouble-free drive.
Regarding SCross 1.3, I honestly feel it is too under-powered. You can think about Ecosport but again its completely different segment.
IMHO, if you are looking for driving pleasure, go for Vento blindly. If you are more inclined towards utility and more space then go for Ecosport.

P.S.: I am totally in love with my car.
Crowley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 18:11   #8745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
My Vento is manual not DSG. And regarding your query, Its running extremely well.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Which one do you think will be better Skoda Rapid or Vento? Vento Comfortline DSG is costing me 12.4 OTR while rapid is 50k costlier variant to variant. Your view?

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2017 at 18:22. Reason: Trimmed quoted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks