Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2017, 09:57   #8836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
We are looking for a petrol sedan with a budget of 10-12 lakh for my dad. The annual running would be around 10k with 70 percent of it on highways.

I would like to know the following from the 1.6 mpi owners here
1. Approximate annual maintenance cost (hope the service interval is at 15k km)
2. Average city and highway FE
3. How well does the car drive? Though we don't need a scorcher of a car, the car should be comfortable cruising at 120 kmph and should not be wanting for power during quick overtaking on single lane highways.
4. Resale value. Has anyone tried selling a 1.6 mpi after 5 to 6 years of ownership?

Many thanks in advance!

I had a 1.6 mpi, which i sold last month.
Maintenance cost was 10k a year/15k kms.
FE was around 10 in city (my average speeds are around 15-16kmph) and 14+ on expressway like roads.

The car is definitely driveable at 120kmph, but you need to play with the gears while overtaking. Keep it spinning at over 3000, and you should get the boost you need. It is no scorcher, but sufficient power : definitely a better low end as compared to the city ivtec.

Solid build quality, excellent gear box and a decent steering combination made the car a very decent drive.

My car was only 3 years old (and i bought used, had it for 2 years), so i got pathetic resale.
Invoice price was 9.8l in Jan 2014, OTR Pune.
I bought it for 7.6l in March 2015 and sold for 5.2l in July 2017.
kkkkkaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 10:16   #8837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
That was very informative Karan. Thanks a lot!

I think we ll go ahead with Vento then primarily due to superior build quality and safety over the City and other Japanese and Korean offerings. Will confirm our booking after taking a test drive tomorrow.
Old 13th August 2017, 10:18   #8838
BHPian

Quote:
Great to know! But then as much as I'd like to have the TSI, it is also ~2 lakh more expensive than the equivalent 1.6 variant. That's put it clearly out of our strict budget.

DSG TSI in chennai is 13.97 after discount . And if you have NCB from previous car you will get another 10K or around atleast. DSG issues are mostly sorted out. It's a very good car. And if you are not interested in DRL it will be cheaper by further 40 or 50K
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 11:54   #8839
BHPian

Quote:
We are looking for a petrol sedan with a budget of 10-12 lakh for my dad. The annual running would be around 10k with 70 percent !

If its a petrol and a vento, you should go for tsi. If 1.6 mpi, you can even have a look at rapid, after discounts rapid will be cheaper than vento.
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 12:15   #8840
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Invoice price was 9.8l in Jan 2014, OTR Pune.
I bought it for 7.6l in March 2015 and sold for 5.2l in July 2017.

Is that really terrible resale value, 5.2L against 7.6L over 2.5 years?
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 12:26   #8841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
DSG TSI in chennai is 13.97 after discount . And if you have NCB from previous car you will get another 10K or around atleast. DSG issues are mostly sorted out. It's a very good car. And if you are not interested in DRL it will be cheaper by further 40 or 50K
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
If its a petrol and a vento, you should go for tsi. If 1.6 mpi, you can even have a look at rapid, after discounts rapid will be cheaper than vento.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
We'll check out the TSI and also the Rapid 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Is that really terrible resale value, 5.2L against 7.6L over 2.5 years?
Yeah to me it is definitely not bad. Especially having sold our Optra Magnum recently! :P

Last edited by Auto freak : 13th August 2017 at 12:29.
Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 20:48   #8842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
The DSG issues are largely sorted out and are pretty rarely mentioned these days.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
DSG issues are mostly sorted out. It's a very good car. And if you are not interested in DRL it will be cheaper by further 40 or 50K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
If its a petrol and a vento, you should go for tsi.
Thanks a lot for your inputs guys! We have dropped the Vento 1.6 mpi from the radar and have booked a Polo GT TSI! The Vento TSI was stretching our already stretched budget and my dad didn't really need a bigger car. So settled for the Polo GT TSI!

But while the dealer offered 90k discount on the Vento 1.6, there is absolutely no discount on the GT!
Looking forward to a blissful ownership experience
Old 21st August 2017, 10:20   #8843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Thanks for the inputs, I had checked this earlier and there was no sound in higher gears. I got the car back and they have ordered the clutch assembly under warranty. I need drop the car at the service center once the part arrives.
Finally got the clutch assembly replaced under warranty. The bill showed a whopping 87k including labour. But I need not pay anything as it was covered under warranty. After the test drives for the last couple of days, I don't see the problem again, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Let me know if any other details on the part change are required.
Wish VW provide extended warranty for 5th and 6th year as well
Old 21st August 2017, 10:31   #8844
BANNED

Quote:
Finally got the clutch assembly replaced under warranty. The bill showed a whopping 87k including labour.
If you don't mind, can you please post the bill of the job work done? Also what all was replaced?

₹ 87,000??

Looking at such expenses wish VW have it's owners lifetime extended warranty.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 20:25   #8845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If you don't mind, can you please post the bill of the job work done? Also what all was replaced?

₹ 87,000??

Looking at such expenses wish VW have it's owners lifetime extended warranty.
The bill just says some 'repair kit' with some product number. SA told me it's the multi clutch assembly. The labor charges also call it multi clutch removal and reinstall.

This part costs 62k and with a GST of 28%(17k). Rest is labor charge of 4k and miscellaneous parts.
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:18   #8846

Quote:
Finally got the clutch assembly replaced under warranty.
===============
Wish VW provide extended warranty for 5th and 6th year as well
Hi Nagarjun, The clutch assembly was replaced in my Vento TSI as well; for the same issue as mentioned by you. I am also keeping my fingers crossed and doing my test runs. Did you feel any delay in changing gears from 1 to 2 after the replacement?
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:09   #8847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by confortablynumb View Post
Hi Nagarjun, The clutch assembly was replaced in my Vento TSI as well; for the same issue as mentioned by you. I am also keeping my fingers crossed and doing my test runs. Did you feel any delay in changing gears from 1 to 2 after the replacement?
Nope, no change in my driving experience. Infact have a feeling that some of the 2<->3 gearshifts on rough roads are better. But it could be a placebo effect as well.
Old 23rd August 2017, 09:08   #8848
BHPian

TDI AT Owners in Bangalore, how much mileage are you getting in typical Bangalore Traffic with a light foot?

I drive 80% of my 14Km commute in Outer Ring Road with a start at 8AM form home and 6PM from office, all I could manage is 11 KM/litre. Is this normal?

On the other hand on an early Sunday morning I managed to get 17 KM/litre on the same stretch

Cheers!
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:45   #8849
BHPian

Heres a shout out for help for folks living in Bangalore!

Could you please advice me on where to get my Vento TDI 2012 serviced in Bangalore? The car has done ~47K and is due for 5th service (8800 kms left to complete the 15k recommended service interval and 50 odd days left for an year since last service) After the first two service my car has not been to an authorised service station. I have remapped my ECU and do not have stock discs and brake pads. I use to get my car services at a friends garage in Mumbai and he use to do a decent job.

There is some rack noise which I want to address apart from a routine service with engine oil change to Mobil 1 0W-40 ( been using that since 3 years and very happy with its performance)

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 23rd August 2017, 13:25   #8850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
..I have remapped my ECU and do not have stock discs and brake pads...
Hi, wondering how the vehicle is after the remap. Especially sound. My vehicle is sounding really awful after the company emission update.

Also, what kind of FE are you getting after the remap.

Most Viewed