Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2017, 08:48   #8911
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
If not, replacement is the only option. ABS sensor would be Rs. 3300.

Only which is faulty out of 4. VAS scan will confirm which one.
And the replacement is covered by the warranty. I got one replaced recently.
Old 28th October 2017, 10:02   #8912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
I'm getting the whistling sound while accelerating on first few gears post certain RPM (haven't bothered to notice from when). But then I thought this is quite common also it is not intrusive and have this since I bought, have done 22K Kms till now.
Should I be worried?
From which dealer you got the clutch replaced?

Cheers!
I got it changed from VW Whitefield. Please get it checked while the car is still in warranty. The part costs around 70k as per the SA.
Old 29th October 2017, 05:53   #8913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Started up the car and the ABS light is still up. Drove it for a short distance and the other light also came up along with the 3 beeps.
I had an almost identical issue last week and got it fixed at VW Thrissur. There was a grinding sound from the brake pedal and then the ABS light came on (only one beep). The service center people said I could drive the car with the light on if there is no problem with the braking. They gave me an appointment on the 24th, five days after I made the call.
As someone already mentioned, the car has 4 speed sensors. This was due to one of the sensors malfunctioning. They had to change the sensor. It cost me Rs.3700. Mine is a 2011 vento with 97k km on it.Just last month I had got the yearly service done in which they changed one of the sensors. Parts and servicing gets very expensive at this stage.
Old 31st October 2017, 12:12   #8914
BHPian

Hello experts,

Last week, I had an incident with the front right tyre of my 1.6 MPI Vento. One morning I found it has less air than normal. I filled it with my portable inflator and took to the nearest place to fix the puncture. The guy found out 12 leaks (including 6 nails). He has fixed it well as there is no loss of pressure.

However, I feel that the integrity of the tyre has been compromised and want to replace it. I am in a quandary whether to replace the single tyre or the entire set? They are the original set of tyres, just run 22K kms and are in good condition.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Prasad
Old 31st October 2017, 12:27   #8915
BHPian

IMO you should replace two tyres, and install the new tyres on the front wheels and the 22k done tyres on the rear ones.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 10:47   #8916

I just handed over my 2011 model VW vento for its sixth service (71,000 km) at Whitefiled VW service center. I have been advised that the Timing Belt might need to be replaced and at an estimate cost of RS 18000. Can someone let me know if this is normal cost and is it really required to replace the belt at 71000 km.

Will it be be advisable to do it at a third part service center for better rates ?

My car is still running using the original battery and in its sixth year. Is there a way to check how much life is left in the battery ?
Old 12th November 2017, 01:14   #8917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Kuruvilla View Post
I have been advised that the Timing Belt might need to be replaced and at an estimate cost of RS 18000.
As per VW Servicing Schedule, it is to be done in 8th year/1,20,000 kms. Originally when Vento was released; timing kit was meant to be changed in 8th year or 1,20,000 kms. It was revised to 6th year, then again to 5th year. Now its again back to 8th year/ 1,20,000 kms.

VW Service List.

Quote:
Can someone let me know if this is normal cost and is it really required to replace the belt at 71000 km.
Cost is normal.

Quote:
My car is still running using the original battery and in its sixth year. Is there a way to check how much life is left in the battery ?
VW Workshop does battery test. Ask them for the result.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 12th November 2017 at 01:15.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 05:22   #8918
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: 1,15,000 km up + Kolkata trip update!

Please help me with 2 issues that i'm facing in my Vento TDi (2011 Model, 1,16,000 km).

(1) The RPM increases by 100 at idle (from 900rpm to 1000rpm). This happens even while on the move. The Service Manager at VW told me that this could be because of the battery losing power. This answer is not convincing. (The battery was changed just a year ago)

(2) While on the move, there is a considerable amount of noise once the Turbo spools up (after 1800rpm). Upon checking this with the local mechanic, i was told that this is the start of Turbo failure. But, the bigger issue is, the cost of Turbo charger for my Vento is Rs. 1,50,000/- (after enquiring with VW).

Just wanted to know your thoughts/ suggestions, if any, for the above 2 issues.

Thank You,
Arun Kumar K

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th November 2017 at 23:36. Reason: Copying the Vento queries from your post on this thread to get better responses + removing contact number (privacy). Thanks!
Old 14th November 2017, 07:32   #8919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_747 View Post
(1) The RPM increases by 100 at idle (from 900rpm to 1000rpm). This happens even while on the move. The Service Manager at VW told me that this could be because of the battery losing power. This answer is not convincing. (The battery was changed just a year ago
I faced this issue recently in my Linea, RPM went up to 1k at idle and the battery warning light started glowing. Issue was diagnosed to alternator and it was replaced.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 22:05   #8920
BHPian

Quote:
I faced this issue recently in my Linea, RPM went up to 1k at idle and the battery warning light started glowing. Issue was diagnosed to alternator and it was replaced.
Thanks for Your response Arun.
However, the battery warning light isn't "On" in my car. Have checked this issue in Google & YouTube, but Not sure what else could be the cause for this.
Old 14th November 2017, 22:58   #8921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gannu,
Any particular reason for avoiding "Diesel-gate" fix. Kindly let us know. Thanks.

Also, could You please help me with 2 issues that i'm facing in my Vento TDi (2011 Model, 1,16,000km).
(1) The RPM increases by 100 at idle (from 900rpm to 1000rpm). This happens even while on the move. The Service Manager at VW told me that this could be because of the battery losing power. This answer is not convincing. (The battery was changed just a year ago)
(2) While on the move, there is a considerable amount of noise once the Turbo spools up (after 1800rpm). Upon checking this with the local mechanic, i was told that this is the start of Turbo failure. But, the bigger issue is, the cost of Turbo charger for my Vento is Rs. 1,50,000/- (after enquiring with VW).
Just wanted to know Your thoughts/ suggestions, if any, for the above 2 issues.

Thank You,
Arun Kumar K
Bangalore
Being a VW owner, you could look out for these two things in addition to the valuable information provided by Arun sir.

1. Apart from getting the alternator checked, I suggest you get the tensioner pulleys and belts checked since these should be due for an overhaul. An old alternator belt can slip and cause an increase in rpm. A Jetta owner faced this issue.

2. Get the turbo checked for oil leaks. I don't have a clue if the turbo along with its o-rings can be given an overhaul. On a sidenote, are you sure it is the turbo and not the engine itself getting gruff? If that is the case, then I would recommend liquimoly purge. Would help in cleaning up the injectors if you haven't tried before.

You will have to give the car a bit of TLC this side of the 1L mark. Things like injectors, alternators and turbos should be given a thorough check IMHO, since you wouldn't want to be stranded for the same.

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th November 2017 at 23:37. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks! :)
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 21:58   #8922
BHPian

Quote:
Also, could You please help me with 2 issues that i'm facing in my Vento TDi (2011 Model, 1,16,000km).
1) Could you elaborate about the increasing RPMs, while on the move? I might be able to tell you more after that.

2) As far as I know, overhauling a turbocharger can be done, but doing it right is the trick. If it is indeed going bad, and you have to buy a new one, you should look in the aftermarket. These turbochargers are available directly from the OEMs, for at most 60k. Spareshub.com had them listed for selling, the last time I checked.
Old 16th November 2017, 01:07   #8923
BHPian

Quote:
halfbytecode
1) Could you elaborate about the increasing RPMs, while on the move? I might be able to tell you more after that.

2) As far as I know, overhauling a turbocharger can be done, but doing it right is the trick. If it is indeed going bad, and you have to buy a new one, you should look in the aftermarket. These turbochargers are available directly from the OEMs, for at most 60k. Spareshub.com had them listed for selling, the last time I checked.
Hi Halfbytecode,
Thanks for Your response.

(1) Ok, while the car is stationary, the rpm increases by 100. So, this increase (by 100) is continued even while driving on. I mean, even in neutral or in any particular gear (noticable in 1st & 2nd gear), the rpm is higher by 100. Upon enquiring this issue with a Friend of mine, I was asked to check the "high pressure pump/ switch" which is on the "rail" (not exactly sure what that is). Another Friend told me to check the "vacuum hose" (again not sure).
So, i have to check these parts in the engine bay & confirm.

The issue is shown in the below link. This is exactly how it happens:

(2) Yes, I had enquired this & a representative from SparesHub had called up & told me the TurboCharger is available for Vento 1.6TDi for Rs. 58,000/-.

Thank You,
Arun Kumar K
Bangalore

Quote:
vishy76
Quote:
Being a VW owner, you could look out for these two things in addition to the valuable information provided by Arun sir.

1. Apart from getting the alternator checked, I suggest you get the tensioner pulleys and belts checked since these should be due for an overhaul. An old alternator belt can slip and cause an increase in rpm. A Jetta owner faced this issue.

2. Get the turbo checked for oil leaks. I don't have a clue if the turbo along with its o-rings can be given an overhaul. On a sidenote, are you sure it is the turbo and not the engine itself getting gruff? If that is the case, then I would recommend liquimoly purge. Would help in cleaning up the injectors if you haven't tried before.

You will have to give the car a bit of TLC this side of the 1L mark. Things like injectors, alternators and turbos should be given a thorough check IMHO, since you wouldn't want to be stranded for the same.

Regards,
Vishy
hi Vishy,
Thanks so much for Your response.
(1) I'll surely get those checked.
(2) Yes, the issue is something related to Turbo Charger. So, will see if a local mechanic can check this thoroughly.
Thank You,
Arun

Last edited by navin : 16th November 2017 at 10:51.
Old 16th November 2017, 22:35   #8924
BHPian

I decided to get my Vento's 2nd year service done a month in advance this week because i had the following issues cropped up recently and do not want my vehicle damaged even more:
1) Hearing of strud mounting noise when i turn the steering wheel to left side and then while making it steady - already i faced this problem within an year of purchase, for which the ASS did some lubrication but the problem persisted and finally got the bearing replaced under warranty after several attempts and now again the same problem is getting repeated after an year.
2)Usually buttery smooth gear become rough and i could feel some friction/roughness when i am shifting gears when engine is on - when the engine is off the the gear shift seems to be relatively ok.

Got the car delivered to me the next day with the following reasoning:
1) Initialy SA told me that the problem will go when they do the lubrication , but i referred to him the same situation i had an year back and that the lubrication did not help, so i asked him to replace the bearing under warranty. Then the strud mount set up was opened and they decided not to replace the strud mount bearing stating that the bearing is good and does not need replacement - rather they did some fix and internally (which i did not understand at all) and the noise disappeared by now, but the so far steady steering wheel tends to whobble lightly for the first time (even at medium speeds ) since i bought it - Not sure if the noise will reappear soon and the steering will become alright if i do a Wheel alignment.
2) SA told me that they had lubricated the gear cable and it should be fine, but unfortunately when i drive the vehicle, the roughness or friction got even more worser that how it was when i left for service. I called up the service advisor again today and explained him of the situation for which he asked me to bring the car again and that they will need more time to open the Gear box and evaluate.

I am worried it should not be a Gear box or clutch issue- or will it get sorted out if the gear cable is replaced? If that is Cable is the culprit, can it be covered under warranty?
Got used to buttery smooth gear in Vento and feel very bad every time i shift gear now and want this to be fixed.

Request if experts here can share your views/experience and suggest what i can do the best here. I am planning to take the car again tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Please suggest. Thanks.

Last edited by anandharamanp : 16th November 2017 at 22:46.
Old 18th November 2017, 00:09   #8925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(1) Ok, while the car is stationary, the rpm increases by 100. So, this increase (by 100) is continued even while driving on.

(2) Yes, I had enquired this & a representative from SparesHub had called up & told me the TurboCharger is available for Vento 1.6TDi for Rs. 58,000/-
Over analysis leads to paralysis. I would suggest you to take car to VW Workshop. Ask them to do a VAS Scan. ECU would be logged with Errors. That will give the exact cause why RPM increase is happening.

Seems to be battery or alternator issue. Battery can go kaput in 1 year as well. Probability is less though.

As for the turbo, check with Workshop, what is their analysis.

Lastly don't disclose your mobile number on public forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post
I decided to get my Vento's 2nd year service done a month in advance this week because i had the following issues cropped up recently and do not want my vehicle damaged even more:
Firstly; I hope you have purchased extended warranty. If not, get it right away.

Quote:
Not sure if the noise will reappear soon and the steering will become alright if i do a Wheel alignment.
In a straight line does the car wobble? If yes, alignment can sort it out.

Quote:
2) SA told me that they had lubricated the gear cable and it should be fine, but unfortunately when i drive the vehicle, the roughness or friction got even more worser that how it was when i left for service.
Take the car back to VW Workshop and ask their Senior Mechanic to accompany you during test drive along with Service Advsor. VW gear shifts are butter smooth.

Mechanic would understand and ask him to resolve the issue to best of his abilities.

Quote:
I am worried it should not be a Gear box or clutch issue- or will it get sorted out if the gear cable is replaced?
Let Workshop people check it thoroughly and report back. Even if its Gearbox, they will replace it under warranty.

Quote:
If that is Cable is the culprit, can it be covered under warranty?
Yes.

Most Viewed