Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 12:33   #76
oss
BHPian

Excellent Review GTO A thorough job, Congrats.

I can't help but ask this question:

How is the city driving experience of Vento-D in comparison with Fiesta-D?

Petrol engine seem to be a let down. I kind of hate the rear armrest - it looks quite tacky.

Rear space seem to be good. Overall a well designed and nice rounded package. Still feel the price of top end variants are bit high. Let's wait to see how the market receives it.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:43   #77
Senior - BHPian

Great Review, pretty much comprehensive. I raised this query in the other vento thread as well, Is it ABS+EBD or standalone ABS? I hope if it is a later, it is a 4 channel unit. Can someone confirm?

-Lack of steering mounted controls/USB provision is a definite miss, on the flip side, it might actually encourage an upgrade without having to worry about the steering controls! I also beleive this size isnt a standard 2-DIN.

-I beleive the brey (!) is similar to the interior shade of an innova? I would have personally preferred to have jet black.

-Is it possible to add some after marker rear view mirror which has a better viewing range?

-Does the OVRM fold outwards too?
Old 15th August 2010, 12:45   #78
BHPian

Undoubtedly Great Review!!!

As per my views expressed in other thread, I think Diesel Vento will caused a dent in ANHC (Petrol Vento won't cause too much difference).

According to me compared to ANHC the Dash board styling, rear seat floor hump, ICE, the average boot space and even the centre arm rest are the big turn offs.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:46   #79
mkh
Senior - BHPian

The review supports what carwale and bsmotoring suggested, finally its the diesel that is a highlight. Looks like linea diesel and fiesta diesel top end sales are a gonner where vw is also avail. Someone suggested verna is wiped out, they are forgetting that vw is not available in all cities and also not all are ready to take a chance with a new brand. Also top end vento diesel is much higher priced than verna. Highline is what would sell more and challenge v-mt of the city. Will be interesting to see how the competition reacts and how consumers gain. Those wishing for honda's fall just want a reduction in the city prices to go and buy it, ;-)
I see drop in all sales but most for linea,fiesta and SX4. Diesel will affect anhc surely and trendline sales will probably be nothing. Heard that already honda sales folks have told dealers, next 6 months are going to be tough.

Last edited by mkh : 15th August 2010 at 12:49.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:52   #80
BHPian

Awesome review GTO.

As expected VW has delivered with Vento. I expect more Highline sales than trendline. Damn, I wish trendline also had ABS-EBD setup.

However, I am not sure how many would buy a vento be driven around by a chauffeur. IMO "those" folks may still prefer the City especially for its better interiors. If that assumption proves true, then vento might kill fiesta.

Ford better do something real soon- though I like the american fiesta hatch, I am not a fan of the sedan looks.

FIAT? well they better tighten the leash around the vendors to get better quality trims and also tap TATA to get additional space for backseat passengers.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:54   #81
RGK
Senior - BHPian

A typical GTO review - Are you a professional photographer and an Amateur Auto expert . I think you are more impressed of Vento D after the Figo D reviewed on 25th Jan.
Vento will make Fiestas and Vernas worry. VW will kill competition by their sheer quality.
Yes, Aux/usb, steering audio controls are needed but will take a back seat while making decision because of the german engineering.
Only thing VW has to do - Streamline its delivery process, Assuring the best of its after sales service and should be transparent on long term (7 - 10 year) running costs.
Since highline is well below 10 lakh, TN buyers are saved 5% on Life Tax (straight 50k) of the invoice cost.
VW has started smelling the Indian customers.

Last edited by RGK : 15th August 2010 at 12:56. Reason: missing word
Old 15th August 2010, 12:57   #82
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Undoubtedly Great Review!!!

As per my views expressed in other thread, I think Diesel Vento will caused a dent in ANHC (Petrol Vento won't cause too much difference).

According to me compared to ANHC the Dash board styling, rear seat floor hump, ICE, the average boot space and even the centre arm rest are the big turn offs.
On the other hand, large number of ANHC owners buy it for image and rear seat space, and hardly push the engine to test its limits. They will find Vento Petrol to be ticking both the boxes at a much lesser price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvinod View Post
Great Review as usual GTO!!!

One question though , Did this beauty has all wheel DISC Brake ?

I pic from my side for TDi
It has discs only in the front.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:59   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Disclaimer : VW invited Team-BHP for the Vento test-drive. They covered all the expenses for this driving event.
Are VW interested in what Team-BHP can teach them about customer service expectations? Are they willing to learn from Team-BHP's coverage of Skoda news?
Old 15th August 2010, 13:11   #84
BHPian

GTO, nice compact sumary....

I have also booked Vento Diesel Highline(Flash Red Colour) and got hold of few more details than already shared and discussed on this car.

No 60/40 folding rear seats?
This has been purposefuly not given as they have provided a strong metal plate on the back of rear seat and the boot to prevent luggage from back hitting the rear passengers in case of an accident from rear and provide additional safety.

Car has just 168 mm ground clearance, is this sufficient?
No its not in some situations but they have provided a strong underbody cover from bootom shielding each part from any such situation. They know this and the design plus additional covers compliments that.

What about the paint quality?
There is almost 6 years warranty on the exterior paint and the quality is superb as that kind of thing you only get in high end cars like BMW etc..

Rear windows come down only 60%. Why?
Thsi is again from safety point of view because they believe with this much you can still get the required wind and also have safety around children not getting thrown out in case of sudden braking. Again very well thought point!

There are numerous safety points added along with a steel stephney tyre(to indicate user that this is not normal and he should get the original tyre repaired), a eoconomy zone on instrument cluster(diesel variant) with up/down arrows for correct gear indication on panel for best fuel average, distanc eto empty, fuel average, all power windows up/dpwn through the key itself meaning all central locking functions are in the car key witout any separate remote, 55 litre fuel tank which means roughly 1000 kms in diesel in one shot, the lower half of car between the fromnt and rear tyre has a bulge that ensures that when water is splashed out it doesnt reach upper partes of door, rear folg lamps, indicator lights and emergency lights are different, max speed of 185 kmph and most importantly for 0-100 diesel variant takes 10.8 seconds faster than its petrol sibling.

I actually drove colorrola diesel(80 bhp, 200 nm torque) and cruze(150 bhp, 250 nm torque) but still booked Vento after managing to get some inner details somehow This will be the best in diesel as its offers this power(105 bhp) between 1500-2500 rpm.

Apologies, but Corrola altis diesel was a serious crap when i drove it continuously between 100-140 on highway and heavily priced, Cruze was fund to drive but was not confident of the overall package and GM brand.

VW enginners have done a complete feature by feature analysis with Honda City, SX4, Verna, Corolla etc.. and have ensured all user reqirements have been better addressed in this car. The build quality should be the best in class and real value for money.

I am going the CD changer replaced by paying 5k extra for the USB connectivity along with basic acessories.

Happy to provide any more specific details if anyone needs it. Let me see when I get my car.. will then share the actual user review
nikesh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th August 2010, 13:17   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Are VW interested in what Team-BHP can teach them about customer service expectations? Are they willing to learn from Team-BHP's coverage of Skoda news?

I think they will smartly choose when looking at Team-BHP, close their eyes wide shut and ears in regards with Skoda; and open them with arms wide open with smile in regards with VW Vento.

This is what is called DUPLICITY!!!
Old 15th August 2010, 13:19   #86
BHPian

Excellent Review GTO. Thank You and Congrats.
Well once again it seems like the Europeans make the best diesels burners and the petrol heads are best done by the Japanese.
Compared the kind of extensive review done by GTO with SVP of Car and Bike show and our analysis are much more exhaustive from Driver's point of view. Kudos to Team BHP
IF only Linea could launch the 120BHp diesel unit sold abroad it would be great.. but the sore point being FIAT-TATA not being able to provide proper after sales support. Some how they need to learn a lot from Maruti/Hyundai in terms of customer handling.
Just my views being a FIAT owner, leaves lot to be desired. Coming back to Vento it seems that VW are gunning for Honda with a fantastic diesel package with VFM in terms of ownership experience. Only time will tell..
Old 15th August 2010, 13:34   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Passenger seat adjustable from rear. Why, for goodness sake? Either you're sitting in the back because you have a driver, in which case the car will be permanently set up for your comfort, or because someone is already occupying that front seat, in which case you can't go pushing them around. Utter waste of money that could probably have meant a decent HU!

Couldn't agree more. Clearly indicates messing up of priorities.
Old 15th August 2010, 13:40   #88
mxx
BHPian

@GTO:
Thanks for the review.

BTW, did you get to ask the volks from volkswagen if an A/T diesel is on its way?
Old 15th August 2010, 13:45   #89
BHPian

Thank You GTO! Superb and detailed as always.
The Vento's got a slightly Baleno-esqe rear I think

The Diesel Vento effectively kills the Verna. Its offering an
  • equivalent engine
  • all the safety that Verna does not give (not even in its "Transformed" avatar)
  • leagues ahead in handling
  • better looking interiors (personal opinion)
I am of course referring to the High line version when I say all this.

Honda needs to get is marketing act together, since VW is now straddling it at the upper and lower ends. This is effectively going to hit their sales for sure and Honda is fast becoming a single car company in India.

I wonder if Ford will launch the new Fiesta in sedan form rather than as a premium hatchback. I hope they do actually....they have a new lease of life with the Figo; Ford seem to have improved their service and approach to after sales and spares...
Imagine that....both the Ventos (Petrol and Diesel), the Honda, Fiat Linea Tjet (if it ever comes) and the New Fiesta (with a 1.6 Petrol and new diesel hopefully) slugging it out for a piece of the ever growing Indian Pie.
Old 15th August 2010, 13:47   #90
BHPian

Excellent review! Answers practically every question a potential buyer has, something I find lacking in the auto magazines.

I fail to understand why VW India cant provide a car configurator where the buyer can add/change stuff based on his/her convenience. For ex: VW UK has a car configurator on their site where I can choose to change the Manual AC to Auto, Steel wheels to Alloys etc at a small premium, even on the base variant. Offer that on the Vento Trendline, with an option to add Airbags/ABS/Auto AC at a notional premium (20k? each) and I am sure VW can find a lot more buyers. Straight away eliminates the need for the Comfortline.

In fact if VW offer the option of fitting Auto AC and Power mirrors on the Polo Highline, they can have my cheque. I badly want the Vento Highline, but its out of my price range :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks