Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2018, 01:27   #9031
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
The more such posts I see, the more I am being edged to think of selling off my 5 year old 89k run Vento 1.6 HL TDi.
I am following your post very closely, please update regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Value of the vehicle drop like a stone the moment you touch 100K mark. Since 120K kms being a major service, I've spent good chunk of amount on that and i'm either able to keep it or sell.

Please take a call immediately.
IMO, the drop starts from the day extended warranty is over. It's a more of a individual call post that.

Quote:
On occasion of my cousin’s marriage, we embarked into a week-long vacation starting from 23rd Feb. till 5th of March. Instead, I'm sitting in my office and typing this
Now the million dollar question comes to my mind: Whether to keep the car or sell it?
For different problem statements, the above situation has happened to me twice over the last 2 years; back in 2016 Dec, a year-end trip to Goa had to be postponed (we landed in Goa on 1st instead). Last Dec, a drive to Bangalore had to be cancelled and flight tickets booked.

I have been wondering on that question since then.

Coming back to your problem; EGR cleaning is a much more affordable option. I got it done; so have several others on the forum. SK Karzone (Bangalore) is a FNG that does it.
Old 28th February 2018, 07:26   #9032
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:

All the while, "Glow plug indicator" was blinking, Engine Malfunction was always LIT. Got the car onto the lift and two lads quickly started inspecting the car. Found out a leaking "Turbo Hose" to be the culprit. Spare was quickly available over the counter and fixed. To confirm other checks, VAS system was connected hit another error of EGR Sensor went kaput and it

When this incident occurred, vehicle had clocked over 124382 kms. It was timely serviced at authorized service center. I've spent close to 47K for 120K kms service which is a major service. Again, I'm footing a bill close to 60K

Now the million dollar question comes to my mind: Whether to keep the car or sell it?

Unfortunately EGR failures are not that rare in Vento / Rapid.

I owned a Rapid diesel for 6 years and had 2 such incidents. First time the glow plug indicator started blinking, the power got cut off. The Service centre suspected it was a EGR failure since they had seen some cases earlier like this. But no, it was worse! The Turbo had failed and they had to replace the Turbo which costed 1.4 Lakhs! And at that time my car had not even done 30k and less than 4 years old! Anyway got the Turbo replaced under warranty and about a year and half from that incident again the glow plug indicator starts blinking and this time its an EGR failure! And my car is out of warranty! I wrote to Skoda and some folks and finally they agreed to replace the EGR out of Goodwill.

Luckily for me, both the incidents happened in Bangalore and I was not out in the highway.

Reading your post and recollecting some discussions with some service folks at Skoda, it seems apparent that EGR failures are not that rare.

Post this incident I used to think everyday about such issues and even the injector failures which were also being discussed in T-Bhp. EGR costs something like 40k I think and the one fuel injector costs something like 20k. If you compare such parts in a Hyundai or Suzuki or even Ford they are priced 1/3 rd! I may be wrong but a fuel injector does not cost more than 5k in Hyundai diesels and a Turbo itself may not be more than 40k! Folks may have think it is unnecessary panic, but when you go thru 2 incidents then you start thinking what else could go wrong.

This is the fear that ultimately made me sell the car post 6 years, although my running was very less at just 50k. While the cars are lovely and overall quality is at least 2 levels higher than similar cars in its segment, these issues are a little too much to put on for even an enthusiast.

Last edited by motorworks : 28th February 2018 at 07:28.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 17:16   #9033
BHPian

Hi,
I own a 2013 vento tdi, 80k run. Couple of days back was driving on the highway and all of a sudden the air-con stopped working. Just stopped all of a sudden after an hour of drive.
The radiator fan was running, coolant level was good so thought of continuing the journey as there was no other issues. Drove the remaining 300kms in severe heat
Taking the car tomorrow to service station, hoping its a minor issue as the warranty is void too
Anyone had faced this situation?
Old 28th February 2018, 22:08   #9034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhul View Post
Hi,
Could be something as simple as a faulty thermostat.
sansvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 23:29   #9035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhul View Post
Taking the car tomorrow to service station, hoping its a minor issue as the warranty is void too
Faced this issue a couple of times and resolved by doing following.

Step 1: Turn off engine
Step 2: Lock car
Step 3: Unlock car
Step 4: Restart car and turn on AC

Voila AC starts cooling again. Try it before heading to Workshop.

At most reduce the temperature to 18 to get AC working.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 18:06   #9036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Step 1: Turn off engine
Step 2: Lock car
Step 3: Unlock car
Step 4: Restart car and turn on AC
Tried this the same day, but no luck. Lets see what the service guys say.

Last edited by prabhul : 1st March 2018 at 18:08. Reason: quote
Old 4th March 2018, 00:50   #9037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriharsha_m87 View Post
Hi all,

I accidentally broke the mounting brackets of power window switch and boot open switch on my Vento TSI 2016.
Boot open switch costs around 1250 with labour. Had got mine replaced couple years back.
I had checked for the spare online at that time, and with shipping and all, the difference was coming out to be about 100-150 only, so just got it done at the WS.

The mounting bracket of power window switch - you mean the fixture in which the switches are housed? Don't know about costs, but that is available on AliEx.
negativeH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 02:39   #9038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
The mounting bracket of power window switch - you mean the fixture in which the switches are housed? Don't know about costs, but that is available on AliEx.
Could you please pm me link for power window switch bracket on AE. I tried many listings, all I had come across are switches without mounting bracket.
Old 4th March 2018, 14:59   #9039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriharsha_m87 View Post
Could you please pm me link for power window switch bracket on AE. I tried many listings, all I had come across are switches without mounting bracket.
Check out this [post][http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...l#post3673348].
Pretty well explained.
negativeH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 17:36   #9040
BHPian

So my 2014 Vento Tdi stands at 1,20,984 kms and the EGR sensor has failed according to FNG.

The car lost power while driving 3 days back and thankfully it was very close to my home, so was not stranded which would have been a nightmare.

The awkward realisation is that the extended warranty would have not helped since the car is a JAN 2014 purchase and this has happened a month and half after the extended warranty period is over.

Got the car checked at FNG who tried cleaning it and also tried replacing it with a 2017 vento EGR sensor but the car is still not working, though he is very sure the problem is with EGR sensor and not the turbo.

So, tomorrow the car goes to VW service centre and then i'll get to know what is the exact (turbo/egr sensor) problem.

Dilemma: I was looking to replace vento with something within 30lacs bracket in the next 5-6 months, but now that the car has died unexpectedly i was wondering if i should ask a tuner to disable the EGR and run the car for another 6 months because if i have to change the car right now my options are limited to C segment due to some urgent funds requirement elsewhere.
Old 4th March 2018, 17:41   #9041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Dilemma: I was looking to replace vento with something within 30lacs bracket in the next 5-6 months, but now that the car has died unexpectedly i was wondering if i should ask a tuner to disable the EGR and run the car for another 6 months because if i have to change the car right now my options are limited to C segment due to some urgent funds requirement elsewhere.
Yes, take help of a tuner and disable the EGR. One more Vento owner had faced the same issue. He got the EGR system disabled by a tuner and now the car is fine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4363800

I see that you are from Delhi. You can check with Akshay from GT Tunerz to disable EGR.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 17:59   #9042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes, take help of a tuner and disable the EGR. One more Vento owner had faced the same issue. He got the EGR system disabled by a tuner and now the car is fine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4363800

I see that you are from Delhi. You can check with Akshay from GT Tunerz to disable EGR.
Thank you for such a quick response. Yes, i am from Delhi.

I am sending the car tomorrow to a VW service centre just to be sure that the problem is EGR sensor and nothing else.

Once confirmed i'll definitely opt for EGR delete.
Old 4th March 2018, 18:02   #9043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Once confirmed i'll definitely opt for EGR delete.
Did your FNG check the error codes? If not, I don't know how they are sure about EGR.
Old 5th March 2018, 12:38   #9044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Did your FNG check the error codes? If not, I don't know how they are sure about EGR.
Yes, The EGR sensor was the problem.

The problem has been rectified. The EGR sensor has been replaced. Costed me INR 18.5k through unofficial route.

The car is back to normal. The car has been very well taken care of. Still pulls like crazy. I am getting the car serviced at regular intervals of 10k kms ever since the 6th service of the car was done. I took this decision because of two reasons. First, my monthly running is high (around 3-3.5k kms). Second, having owned two germans already, i feel the european cars love pampering when they are running high mileage.

Also, i have been running brembo disc and pads setup since the first day so my pads are getting changed every 15k kms. The car does a lot of spirited highway running everyday hence, the brake pads need to be changed that often.

Tyres were changed to s-drives 205.55.R15 on the very first day and is on the 4th set right now. Very happy with the car's behaviour on s-drives with only grouse being the racket they make after crossing 10-15k kms.

The suspension was upgraded to Bilstein B6 on the very first day and is still going good.

Stock headlights are crap. Running upgraded bulbs (philips extreme vision) but if i keep the car for more than 2 months, would be getting a bi-xenon projector setup or the stock LED headlamps from the current vento.

The clutch feels tight. It is due for replacement. Will get this done next week.

The car stands at 1,21,042 kms today.
ramneek009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 12:50   #9045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Tyres were changed to s-drives 205.55.R15 on the very first day and is on the 4th set right now. Very happy with the car's behaviour on s-drives with only grouse being the racket they make after crossing 10-15kms.
Hi. What is the tyre life you are getting out of S-Drives? Also do you notice less grip after 10k kms?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks