Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:15   #9106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
With horrible traffic on outer ring road in the mornings my Vento TDI, 7 years old is really stressed I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
I have a 2011 Vento Petrol. On hotter days the cooling in the Vento is not half as affective as that of a much cheaper basic Maruti Alto.
Quote:
I have a 2011 Vento Highline Petrol.
Any advice?
Interesting - there seem to be a bunch of 2011 Vento owners still on the forum with a wide range of small but nagging problems

I have an entirely different set of nagging issues; apart from the normal wear and tear. However I haven't observed any of your issues (yet - touchwood).
Old 3rd July 2018, 17:37   #9107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2011 Vento Highline Petrol.

I have observed that after every short or long drive, the front 2 wheels get dirtied with black goo. This 'black goo' seems to be seeping out of the discs behind the wheels.

Any advice?
This is completely normal. Nothing to worry about! Brakes work on the principle of converting kinetic energy to heat energy by friction. The black 'goo' you see is a mixture of the brake pad and disc which was worn out due to rubbing between the discs and the brake pads.

Quote:
Is there a trick to better the cooling from the Vento AirCon?

I have a 2011 Vento Petrol. On hotter days the cooling in the Vento is not half as affective as that of a much cheaper basic Maruti Alto.

We had the AC filters changed and the AirCon shaft cleaned recently as part of regular service.

For the first few days, the cooling seemed more effective, and with the AC turned to full blast I could see droplets of water forming near the vents.

But after I fiddled with the AC settings, I can't get the cooling to be as effective and I wonder if it's some setting which I need to tweak (other than reducing temp to Min of 18 and putting the blower on Full).
1) On hotter days, when you start the car after parking it in the hot sun, try rolling down the windows with the air conditioning in fresh air mode and the temp setting at low. After 5 mins, you can roll up the windows and switch to internal circulation mode. Use auto mode if you can.

2) When I went to a FNG for checking the AC few years ago, I remember he cleaned the heat exchanger (found behind the front bumper, below the radiator) with a hose. There was some difference. Also check if there is enough 'gas' and top up if necessary.

Quote:
With horrible traffic on outer ring road in the mornings my Vento TDI, 7 years old is really stressed I think. It turns off the cooling sometimes and I need to stop and engine and restart to turn AC back ON. I intend to connect my OBD device and see what the engine temperature is.
If it's working fine after turning on the car again, it could be some electrical issue. An experienced FNG will be of great help! It's an issue with most cars they age.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 10:47   #9108
BHPian

Quote:
With horrible traffic on outer ring road in the mornings my Vento TDI turns off the cooling sometimes and I need to stop and engine and restart to turn AC back ON.
Please check the accessories belt which keeps the compressor running. The belt could be lax or frayed .
Old 4th July 2018, 11:08   #9109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a trick to better the cooling from the Vento AirCon?

For the first few days, the cooling seemed more effective, and with the AC turned to full blast I could see droplets of water forming near the vents.

But after I fiddled with the AC settings, I can't get the cooling to be as effective and I wonder if it's some setting which I need to tweak (other than reducing temp to Min of 18 and putting the blower on Full).
One option you have is to hose the radiator from the front every morning. That clears up the passage between the fins, which get clogged pretty fast. In long run, you will have to find a bigger AC radiator that can fit Vento if you want better cooling.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 20:21   #9110
BHPian

I write this to report an extremely bad experience at one of VW's service centre. The service centre is Volkswagen Nerul (AutoBahn). I had sent my car for a minor issue (engine check light was coming on). The delivery was delayed from my end due to multiple issues. Finally, I sent my driver to collect the car as I was travelling that day. At the time of collecting the car, the driver was told that there is a small puncture on one of the tyres and hence the space saver tyre has been put on. He was requested to not make an issue of it and get it fixed at a roadside shop. Not suspecting anything, he took their word at face value.

When he took the tyre to repair the puncture, we discovered that there was a big vertical cut in the sidewall and the tyre is now useless. On confronting with the service centre, one of their representatives agreed on the phone that this was a fault at their end and they are trying to fix the responsibility internally. He offered on the phone to replace the damaged the tyre.

I told him that it is not a safe practice to replace a single tyre and that we need to replace both the tyres. This is a safety issue. However, if VW is willing to certify that considering the condition of other 3 tyres, it is safe to put on one new tyre and other 3 old tyres remain, then I will take up his offer and we can close the matter. He said he will come back.

However, later on their customer service emails me refusing to take any responsibility for the damage and offers to replace the damaged tyre as a goodwill gesture so that i do not feel offended. The point is that I will have to pay out of my pocket for replacing the second tyre which is not fair and reasonable. I told them I need an apology for first damaging my tyre and then trying to hide it and that they could offer the apology either in writing or face to face (and I will come to their office for this). However, they are unwilling to even apologise. Their attitude is like we will offer you something to do you a favour.

I have written VW multiple times in the last few days and I have not received a reply to even a single email from VW. I must have logged almost a dozen calls to their helpline and beyond 'we understand your concern, we are looking into it' or 'we have escalated the issue, someone will call you' I have received nothing tangible.

The issue for me is not about money. The money involved is a relatively trivial sum for me. The issue is of principle and ethics. If someone has made the mistake, an honest and sincere apology with language such that it is clear you are genuinely apologetic and an offer to make up the loss is a reasonable expectation. I do have the option of taking legal action, but given that my driver took delivery of the vehicle (albeit in good faith), I am not sure how strong my ground will be. I am not sure getting senior folks of VW involved here will help given their customer care's 'customer be damned' attitude.

Any thoughts guys on what I should be doing?

Thanks!

Last edited by lollapalooza : 4th July 2018 at 20:50. Reason: Typos corrected.
Old 4th July 2018, 23:34   #9111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollapalooza View Post

Any thoughts guys on what I should be doing?

Thanks!
If you can just get this post (supplement it with pics of the damaged tyre, and if possible a snapshot of emails that went unanswered) , through any of your primary or secondary contacts who can influence some print/TV editor, to take up this story (as the tip of the iceberg type item) , you "may" be able to elicit a response from VW.
Old 5th July 2018, 07:47   #9112
BHPian

Quote:
I have observed that after every short or long drive, the front 2 wheels get dirtied with black goo. This 'black goo' seems to be seeping out of the discs behind the wheels.
The SE said it might be the worn out disc brakes which, which have since been replaced & so have the discs.

But the issue with the wheels getting dirty, continues.

Any advice?
You need to live with it and it is absolutely normal.
And it is not that because of the ageing of disc or brake pads, this will happen even while they are new.
Below is the image at 2K Km after replacing the pads.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_5742.jpg  

Old 12th July 2018, 08:35   #9113
BHPian

Did a wheel rotation, balancing & alignment recently as I found some discomfort in the drive. When doing the alignment, they didn't correct the camber and caster deviations. Only the Toe adjustment was done. When asked about this, they said they will only do Toe alignment and camber/castor cannot be done for Vento. Moreover he mentioned that as they are slight deviations, it is fine. Otherwise, suspension may have to checked and fixed.

However I am concerned as the discomfort in the drive has not changed much. Attaching the photos from wheel alignment. Request fellow Vento owners to help me with their experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20180623_115556__01.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20180623_115541__01__01.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20180623_115540__01.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20180623_115540__02.jpg  

Old 17th July 2018, 11:40   #9114
BHPian

I own Vento TDI Highline 2011 Model. It has done 92K. Couple of days ago, AC stopped working. When I switch on the AC, nothing happens though the indicator shows the temperature and blower speed.

This happened when I was in Chennai last Sunday. I drove back to Bangalore yesterday without AC.

Till now, I did not face any issue with AC. It just stopped working all of a sudden.

No air comes through any of the vents. Not sure what the issue is. I tried manually adjusting the blower speed and temperature with no success. Same with auto mode as well.

My 7th service is also due and I have booked an appointment with Volkswagen Rajajinagar tomorrow.

Any idea what could be the problem? Appreciate expert suggestions and inputs for me to deal with the service advisor tomorrow.
Old 18th July 2018, 11:16   #9115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
I own Vento TDI Highline 2011 Model. It has done 92K. Couple of days ago, AC stopped working. When I switch on the AC, nothing happens though the indicator shows the temperature and blower speed.

No air comes through any of the vents. Not sure what the issue is. I tried manually adjusting the blower speed and temperature with no success. Same with auto mode as well.

My 7th service is also due and I have booked an appointment with Volkswagen Rajajinagar tomorrow.

Any idea what could be the problem? Appreciate expert suggestions and inputs for me to deal with the service advisor tomorrow.
Most probably the AC fuse is blown. Check the fuses.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 17:59   #9116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post

This happened when I was in Chennai last Sunday. I drove back to Bangalore yesterday without AC.

Till now, I did not face any issue with AC. It just stopped working all of a sudden.

Another possibility is that your AC might have run out of gas/refrigerant. You can visit any AC mechanic and check the gas pressure in the circuit. If it is below the recommended limit, you might have to refill the gas.
Old 22nd July 2018, 21:20   #9117
BHPian

Quote:
Another possibility is that your AC might have run out of gas/refrigerant. You can visit any AC mechanic and check the gas pressure in the circuit. If it is below the recommended limit, you might have to refill the gas.
Quote:
Most probably the AC fuse is blown. Check the fuses.
Thank you for your suggestion and recommendation. I wish it was fuse or gas leakage, but it was not to be

I gave my vehicle for service and AC blower issues to Volkswagen Rajajinagar service station on Tuesday and I got back the vehicle today. In addition to service and AC issues, I also asked them to replace front bumper and address a small dent on rear bumper as well.

They have diagnosed it to be a faulty AC Blower motor (FAN) and it has to be replaced. I have asked them to replaced it. The part and labour charges came out to 22 K in total.

The part is very costly. I did not have a choice so I went with service station.

Otherwise, 7th services is done and Front bumper and girle replaced and there was a dent in the rear bumper and it was addressed and spot painting was done.
AutoInt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 17:33   #9118
BHPian

please recommend a good phone mount which can be mounted on Vento's dashboard without letting the phone slip and can offer unhindered view with navigation
nik hill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 18:35   #9119
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
please recommend a good phone mount which can be mounted on Vento's dashboard without letting the phone slip and can offer unhindered view with navigation
Try this one. I have been using this for quite sometime and it is very effective.

https://www.amazon.in/Bulls-Eye-Magn...ulls+eye&psc=1

Regards
Old 24th July 2018, 22:24   #9120
BHPian

My Vento has run 41,000 km in 23 months. Of late engine cranking too longer than usual. I did not pay much attention to it. Yesterday the engine could not start. Apparently battery is weak. Roadside assistance did a jump start, and recommended battery change.

Bought and installed a new battery, Exide, at ASS. Total cost Rs.5,600.

Most Viewed