Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2018, 20:43   #9166
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiterunner View Post
Absolutely!
The thought that injectors can be overhauled gives immense peace of mind especially once the car is out of warranty.

The below threat gives the details of the FNG (Saravana Diesels) who specializes in diesel injector overhauling in Bangalore. It might be a good idea to just visit and do a preventive check of injectors.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...replacing.html (Rapid & Vento: Faulty Injectors? Repair instead of replacing)
Totally agree. I have a 2011 model Vento TDI, with 65000 on ODO; and I am going through that phase of 'injector-going-kaput'

The car doesnt have any pickup at all, and I see two indicators always lit - coil and engine indicators. When this happened for the first time a week ago, I drove the car to VW service centre (drove with difficulty for the first 2-3 km, and these indicators went off somehow and drive was smooth then onwards), where their diagnostic software reported about fault in Injector 1. The technician did something called "recoding & adaptation" and I drove back home. But I noticed higher noise while driving though. The service head told me to wait and see if the indicator returns and if so, injector needs to be replaced.

Then the next day when I tried to drive the car, both the symbols were back and couldnt drive at all.

It is also worth mentioning that this issue started when the car was showing 10km warning for refueling. I generally refill when there are 4 bars, but this time unfortunately I delayed. So the prime suspect for the injector issue in my case is impurities in diesel. But, despite reading about this being one of the reasons in many posts, I still wonder if that is possible, and if so, is the fuel filter not doing its job?!!

Anyway, thanks to the thread quoted above, I spoke to @hillsnrains and he was kind enough to share Saravana Diesels' number. I plan to overhaul the injectors with him this weekend. @hillsnrains: Thanks a lot for your guidance

Now, is this something I should take up with VW customer care? Should it be acceptable if injectors go bad just after 65k? Any suggestions?
Also, I read about a 'service advisory' by VW about injectors, but couldnt find the document. Can any of you share the link please?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th December 2018 at 11:55. Reason: Formatting
Old 21st September 2018, 10:37   #9167
BHPian

I am trying to sell my 2012 vento highline diesel? Is 4.2L a decent price to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Totally agree. I have a 2011 model Vento TDI, with 65000 on ODO; and I am going through that phase of 'injector-going-kaput'
Never had this experience. My car has run 135000 kms. Had to change battery twice, engine timer chain and some pump motor so far. Has been a great experience overall.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st September 2018 at 11:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
Old 21st September 2018, 11:16   #9168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now, is this something I should take up with VW customer care? Should it be acceptable if injectors go bad just after 65k? Any suggestions?
Also, I read about a 'service advisory' by VW about injectors, but couldnt find the document. Can any of you share the link please?
It is not acceptable; but the 2011-12 batch of cars came with defective injectors. For those who recognized it before their cars went out of warranty (including extended), they got it done free of costs.

In your case, give it a try; you might be lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
I am trying to sell my 2012 vento highline diesel? Is 4.2L a decent price to expect?
On paper good price; but will be surprised if you get it. The insurance IDV itself would be sub 4, so put it up with that price. @Mikon and a few other old timers (I think @SR-71) did sell their diesel cars; so give them a PM and see what was their experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Never had this experience. My car has run 135000 kms. Had to change battery twice, engine timer chain and some pump motor so far. Has been a great experience overall.
Good for you. I have a friend who have a 2010 (one of the first cars) diesel Vento that's running fine with 150k+ on the odometer; lots of other repairs but no problem with the injectors yet. I guess it's a hit or miss for those with the cars that came out in 2011-12.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st September 2018 at 11:28. Reason: Fixing quoted post.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 14:42   #9169
BHPian

Quote:

Anyway, thanks to the thread quoted above, I spoke to @hillsnrains and he was kind enough to share Saravana Diesels' number. I plan to overhaul the injectors with him this weekend. @hillsnrains: Thanks a lot for your guidance

Please update us with your experience at Saravana Diesels once the injectors are serviced.
Old 29th September 2018, 18:11   #9170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiterunner View Post
Please update us with your experience at Saravana Diesels once the injectors are serviced.
Looks like it is not an easy task to accomplish. While Saravana Diesels may overhaul the injectors, I am struggling to get the injectors removed from my car. VW auth service centre dont agree to do this, as it is against their policy - only replace but dont repair the parts. I tried with a good Bosch service centre nearby through a known person, but they will take it only if I give it to them for overall work (removal, overhauling, reinstallation, recoding & adaptation). I dont want to give it to them as I dont know from whom they are getting the injectors serviced from!

So I am not sure how to get the injectors removed safely! As I understand it, because of 7 years of running, injectors need to be removed with proper car, which means, I need to trust the guys who remove them.

Meanwhile, @TopSpeeder referred me Carista who provide doorstep service. I spoke to them. They too provide this service to overhaul the injectors, but with the same concept. They will do it only if I ask them to do overall work. The only advantage that I see is that, they are ready to give post-service warranty of 4000km in writing once they do the service (they give 2000km or 2 month warranty for general doorstep service); and as a doorstep service, which means I dont have to worry about towing the car to them. I could also find out that they get the overhauling done through their partner 'Nisarga Fuel'. They charge a little on the higher side though - ₹2500 per injector as against ₹1500 quoted by Saravana Diesels.

I am yet to decide the right course of action. Meanwhile, any inputs on Carista, Nisarga would be really appreciated. I couldnt find any information on these so far, other than this thread (Doorstep Car Servicing - Carista (Bangalore))in TBHP

Last edited by blackdiesel : 29th September 2018 at 18:12.
blackdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 01:31   #9171
BHPian

This is an update on my 2011 Vento TDi.
My car has done only about 50,000 kilometers so far. Last week while returning from a highway try one of your injectors gave way. I was a good 100 kilometers away from any city so I continued driving after speaking the my regular SA. The car went into a safe mode of sorts, wouldn't go beyond 2000 RPM in any gear with a lot of jerking.

I believe I have read each and every post on Team-BHP about the infamous injector issues prevalent on the 2011 models. I had even got the preventative Minimum Quantity Injector Adaptation done on every annual service. I have always used the same fuel pump to fill her up with diesel.
So as soon as it happened I kind of knew what had happened even before visiting the service center.

They diagnosed that Injector 4 needed to be replaced. Since the annual service was also due, I got both done together. However, on the test drive post the service, I realized that the horn was not working well. It was promptly replaced after figuring out that some oil / water went into it during the injector replacement process.
As my car is almost 7 years old, I had to bear the complete cost. Writing to VW was of no help either.

The car is performing very well post this, I have driven it for about 1000 kilometers. The mileage and engine noise have greatly reduced.

Now it's always at the back of my mind that the other 3 injectors may go kaput at any moment. Due to this i don't have much confidence in the car and have been avoiding long distance touring with it.

I strongly believe that VW must do a recall and replace the injectors of every pre 2012 Vento irrespective of the car's age.
I believe that such issues don't get the kind of attention that issues like diesel gate do and this allows companies like VW to make us pay for their bad mechanicals.
Old 7th October 2018, 14:40   #9172
BHPian

How much did you pay for getting your Vento back in shape? Can you share the quotation as well if you can.. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarsh10 View Post
This is an update on my 2011 Vento TDi.
My car has done only about 50,000 kilometers so far. Last week while returning from a highway try one of your injectors gave way. I was a good 100 kilometers away from any city so I continued driving after speaking the my regular SA. The car went into a safe mode of sorts, wouldn't go beyond 2000 RPM in any gear with a lot of jerking.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th December 2018 at 11:55. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 7th October 2018, 23:57   #9173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFanatic View Post
How much did you pay for getting your Vento back in shape? Can you share the quotation as well if you can.. Thanks
The injectors itself was for 23k, there was some labour charge also which I unfortunately do not remember.
utkarsh10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 12:55   #9174
BHPian

Quote:
The injectors itself was for 23k, there was some labour charge also which I unfortunately do not remember.
This is the exact same reason I sold my 2012 Vento TDI and bought TSI highline plus in 2018. Not advised, but Vento Diesel injectors are available at 50% cost outside market. Worth enough to explore. My cousin replaced 2 of his Injectors from such source and they are working fine from past 2 years.
Old 14th October 2018, 00:52   #9175
BHPian

From the related posts all across the forum, what i could gather is that 50,000 on the Odo is something after which one can expect surprises anytime from the Vento.

Mine is just about to reach the mark in another 2-3 weeks or so. I seriously wish my TDI highline 2012 doesn't inject and make a hole in my pocket at least until it crosses 1,00,000 on the Odo.
Old 15th October 2018, 14:34   #9176
BHPian

Has anyone tried exploring new data plug from VW connect? Looks like interesting add on for the car
Old 15th October 2018, 14:59   #9177
Senior - BHPian

My fan bearing has gone bad and it makes a lot of noise. Its 2011 model with 100,000 Kms. I think twice my AC wouldn't work in ORR traffic due to improper cooling or something.
This is the second time I am having some issue with the fan. Need to overhaul my front suspension also in addition to doing something with one of the injectors. Really not something to enjoy :(
Old 19th October 2018, 18:43   #9178
BHPian

Vento owners,
I'm looking to upgrade the headlamps on my Polo GT. I wanted to know how good are the Vento's LED headlamps if I were to get them retrofitted. Can one you please post an image of the throw and brightness? Thanks in advance.
Old 21st October 2018, 01:00   #9179
BHPian

Another update on my 2011 Vento with about 53k kilometres on the ODO.
One of the power window motors have given up and have received a quotation of roughly 11k + labor to replace it from the VW ASC. I am told that this is fairly common issue on older VW cars.

I'm pretty certain that this was the final blow. Don't think I'll be keeping this car for too long now. Sometimes stuff like this forces one to move away from the Germans and look into the ever reliable Japanese stable.
Old 21st October 2018, 13:18   #9180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I'm pretty certain that this was the final blow. Don't think I'll be keeping this car for too long now. Sometimes stuff like this forces one to move away from the Germans and look into the ever reliable Japanese stable.
Hey utkarsh, sorry couldn’t PM you since you still don’t have 25 posts. But I’m looking for a 2011-13 Vento with 40-60k kms on the clock. Let me know if you are selling it in Bangalore.

Most Viewed