Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2018, 14:27   #9181

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hi guys, i'm looking to buy a pre-owned vento diesel(Manual). Confused between 1.6 tdi and 1.5 tdi. Have heard about the injector and EGR issue that's prevalent in the 1.6 tdi mill. Has the issue been resolved in 2014 models?
Old 21st October 2018, 15:30   #9182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroan View Post
Hi guys, i'm looking to buy a pre-owned vento diesel(Manual). Confused between 1.6 tdi and 1.5 tdi. Have heard about the injector and EGR issue that's prevalent in the 1.6 tdi mill. Has the issue been resolved in 2014 models?
You might want to consider the DSG variant also, if your driving necessitates comfort over long distances on frequent basis.
Besides the gearbox, I think you might want to consider cars post 2015, since there were some decent changes in that year (it's a different matter that VW ships way too many refreshes). And the injector-plagues have been seemingly put to rest also.

Coming on the back of 54k km on a DSG 1.5 liter TDi, I can vouch for the comfort and near-long term reliability of the vehicle.I have the 2015-facelifted model.

Are you having any other consideration in terms of daily /monthly kms, traffic patterns to encounter etc. ?

Last edited by JoshMachine : 21st October 2018 at 15:49.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 15:38   #9183

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
You might want ro consider the DSG variant also, if your driving necessitates comfort over long distances on frequent basis.
Besides the gearbox, I think you might want to consider cars post 2015, since there were some decent changes in that year (it's a different matter that VW ships way too many refreshes). And the injector-plagues have been seemingly put to rest also.

Coming on the back of 54k km on a DSG 1.5 liter TDi, I can vouch for the comfort and near-long term reliability of the vehicle.I have the 2015-facelifted model.

Are you having any other consideration in terms of daily /monthly kms, traffic patterns to encounter etc. ?
Thank you JoshMachine for the inputs, i'm shying away from DSG cause of the DQ200 issue which was reported by others, but wouldn't mind considering if it's issue has been addressed.

In terms of my daily running, its around 50kms within city. I'm looking at clocking an avg of 3000 kms per month.
Old 21st October 2018, 15:43   #9184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Injector issues were only with the 1.6 engines produced between 2011 and 2012; the VW recall (silent, not announced) was for the vehicles belonging to those period only. EGR issue possibly is also for that period based cars only; but not sure. However it's well established, if this comes up; a FNG approach works just fine. Either way, don't think I have noticed either of the issues coming up for vehicles beyond 2012 based.

There are other factors between 1.6 and 1.5; the vehicles had also changes (although superficial but still relevant), suggest you also focus on those and make an informed decision on the condition of the vehicles you have at hand.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:04   #9185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you JoshMachine for the inputs, i'm shying away from DSG cause of the DQ200 issue which was reported by others, but wouldn't mind considering if it's issue has been addressed.

In terms of my daily running, its around 50kms within city. I'm looking at clocking an avg of 3000 kms per month.
Barring one-odd issues (which seem to have been addressed diligently), the gearbox travails have been dwindling in the recent past on this forum and elsewhere as well.
As I mentioned, I also own a DSG 1.5 TDi Vento and it has been an absolutely delightful, problem-free experience for the past 3+ years with the odo inching now towards the 55,000 km mark (related thread of my ownership, just in case you want to have a quick look)

For daily running of 50 km / monthly 3000 km, diesel engine is warranted. However, with the ever increasing fuel prices and the differences reducing between petrol-diesel, you can revisit the case for opting either.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 23rd October 2018 at 12:27.
Old 26th October 2018, 18:59   #9186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is 2011 1.6TDI High line variant. The odo is 141K kms. I drive 66kms per day within the city. For driving pleasure and initial pull, 1.6 it is. Period.

After getting addicted to my car, my BIL had purchased Rapid edition X. He is not happy and claims mine is better than his 1.5TDI. Though it 100CC difference, it is little weak and pulling post 100km is little sluggish.

My piece never had Injector problem so far. Buy an example with extended warranty which would keep you safe.

Yes, the pricing between Petrol & Diesel getting closer day-by-day, but the mileage you get on Diesel is a DOUBLE DIGIT within the city limits, which is not in the case of petrol. Might TSI get that kind of mileage? I'm not sure.
With your kind of running, I would vote for Diesel any day.
Ramsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 12:29   #9187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Yes, the pricing between Petrol & Diesel getting closer day-by-day, but the mileage you get on Diesel is a DOUBLE DIGIT within the city limits, which is not in the case of petrol. Might TSI get that kind of mileage? I'm not sure.
With your kind of running, I would vote for Diesel any day.
I had 1.6 TDI variant 2012 model and now have 2018 model TSI model. I miss 250 NM torque, but that said 175 is still sufficient enough to give thrill drive. Mileage wise, I get around 12-13 kmpl in Bangalore traffic and 16+ on highway where as I used to get 19+ on TDI on highway. TSI is decent in terms of mileage compared to any other petrol car in the segment.

Asked this in other thread, no answer yet, hence posting it here. Please help if you know.
I had 2012 Vento TDI Manual, replaced with Vento TSI DSG in January 2018. I wanted to enable audible lock/unlock confirmation along with blinkers but has been informed from service center that this not possible with new car (In 2012 Vento it was enabled). Can someone please confirm?
Thanks in advance for help.
Old 31st October 2018, 20:42   #9188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveup View Post
I had 2012 Vento TDI Manual, replaced with Vento TSI DSG in January 2018. I wanted to enable audible lock/unlock confirmation along with blinkers but has been informed from service center that this not possible with new car (In 2012 Vento it was enabled). Can someone please confirm?
Its possible.

Ask Workshop to plug their VAS machine and enable these features.

OR you could get in touch with someone who has the VAG reader cable of RossTech or its imitation to enable these features.
Old 2nd November 2018, 12:52   #9189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if I'm late to reply. I just recently came to know that my cousin's Vento has crossed 1.6 lakh KM's. It is a 2014 1.6 TDI Highline.

The only issue he had was a fuel pump failure at around 40k kms. This was because he used to fill up the fuel tank only when it was nearly empty.

He's overall happy with the vehicle and plans to keep the car upto 3 lakh KM's (Not sure if he was being sarcastic).But he hasn't replaced the clutch, suspension or any other components. He hasn't had any issues with fuel injectors either.

We bought our 1.6 TDI just a month after him and have done 72k KM's. Overall the car has held up well beyond our expectations and still feels solid. Wish to keep it for upto 10 years totally.

But we've been facing a peculiar issue recently: once the car has warmed up, on feathering the throttle between 1000-1500 RPM, the engine gives a jerk. It happens when I release the accelerator too. Quite annoying honestly. Any idea why? The mileage has reduced a bit and the car feels lethargic.

Anyone else facing this?
Old 9th November 2018, 08:18   #9190
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone got the rear seat (interior) light switch replaced at the service center/outside? Noticed this last week when I sat in the rear seat (probably only the third time in my 7+ years of ownership) and saw the switch was broken!

Will head to the service center sometime later; trying to understand alternatives if any.
Old 9th November 2018, 16:41   #9191
BHPian

All,

Recently got to drive my relative's Vento 1.6 petrol with TC automatic gearbox (MH12 HL series) over 1200 plus kilometres. Overall mightily impressed with the performance of this vehicle - superb stability, quiet cabin, torque on demand from the 1.6, 6 speed auto gearbox helped deliver good mileage @ 20 kmpl.

Below listed are the pros & cons per me:-

Pros:-
1. No substitute for cubes - 1.6 litre engine is phenomenal
2. Excellent stability, well controlled pitching movement, minimal roll
3. Very comfortable front and rear seats
4. Voluminous boot, gobbled up luggage of 5 adults easily
5. Excellent mileage for a 1.6 engine

Cons:-
1. Low ground clearance, underbody was scraping a lot on the pothole ridden Ajara - Amboli - Kudal road. Wished for a few more inches of clearance.

2. Over-assisted steering, felt light even at 80 kmph, built up weight past 90+
3. Low seating, all occupants specially my father would curse everytime when getting in our out.
4. Puny ORV Mirrors - should have been plus size, specially the LHS. Does not help with the length specially when reversing.
5. IRV Mirror - again should have been plus size. The size and the raised surface behind therear seats makes reversing difficult.

As said above, overall enjoyed this vento.

Regards
Nikhil

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th December 2018 at 11:54. Reason: Formatting
nsbhagwat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 09:25   #9192
BHPian

Anyone here running on Stage 1 remaps for 1.5TDI DSG for both ECU and TCU? Also, anyone with specific TVS Engineering Netherland DSG Stage 2 remap since Stage 1 is a tweak on very few attributes.
I know quite a few on manual but not automatic. So even first-hand information from your friends/colleagues would really help.

Things to know.
  • Who did the remap (TCU / ECU)
  • Since when
  • How many kilometres covered
  • Any major issues/niggles
  • Would you recommend (YES/NO)

Thank you in advance.
Old 15th November 2018, 09:37   #9193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Recently got to drive my relative's Vento 1.6 petrol with TC automatic gearbox (MH12 HL series) over 1200 plus kilometres.
Regards
Nikhil
Thanks. Its reassuring for me. Having booked Rapid 1.6MPI AT I have been getting lot of flak from near and dear for booking a ageing Rapid that too an old Petrol and that too old Torque converter. My observations were similar to yours, but most of the cons except for the ORVM have been addressed in the Rapid.

Last edited by aadya : 15th November 2018 at 09:38. Reason: grammar/correction
aadya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 18:59   #9194
BHPian

Hello BHPians
I have been considering a purchase of Vento TDI Manual / Skoda Rapid - and in two minds which way to go ; I have test driven both cars - and the Skoda Rapid seems more fun to drive than the Vento !!

My decision making is stuck on the following reasons -

1. Skoda Rapid felt more fun to drive - but Skoda after sales & support is pure horror as per innumerable posts in this Forum ; Is the VW Service / Support any better than Skoda in the long run ? I usually keep my cars for at least 8/10 years and like to maintain them as good as I can ;

2. Skoda Rapid Onyx and Vento TDI Highline both seem to be costing almost same - so no major differentiator there (at least financially) ;

3. Some BHP-ians commented that the Handling and Ride in new Vento is somewhat lessened than the 1.6L mill from previous generation - whereas Skoda seem to retain the same characteristics with suspension / ride quality ; Can this be a major differentiator in the long run ? within City and highways / rough terrains ? In my short test drives I couldn't make out the difference , hence the question !

4. Skoda Rapid Onyx got 16 inch Black Alloys whereas Vento has 15 inch alloys ; Maybe a few more minor differences here and there ;

5. VW has more dealerships / service centres across India than Skoda - though I will most likely use FNG services later but it will be important for first 3/4 years at least ;

Therefore - my question is , considering all aspects , would you suggest a Vento highline TDI Or a Rapid Onyx !!

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th December 2018 at 11:54. Reason: Formatting
Old 21st November 2018, 21:06   #9195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNomad View Post
Hello BHPians
I have been considering a purchase of Vento TDI Manual / Skoda Rapid - and in two minds which way to go ; I have test driven both cars - and the Skoda Rapid seems more fun to drive than the Vento !!
Well, both are a hit or miss depending on your luck. Both Skoda and VW have their dodgy dealers and service advisors. I have/am experienced/experiencing both.

Drive both vehicles back to back preferably on the same road and go for YOUR heart.

8-10 years is a substantial part of a human life.

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st November 2018 at 21:09.

Most Viewed