Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:45   #9196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNomad View Post
Hello BHPians
I have been considering a purchase of Vento TDI Manual / Skoda Rapid - and in two minds which way to go ; I have test driven both cars - and the Skoda Rapid seems more fun to drive than the Vento !!
Since they are mechanical twins, there is very little to differentiate as such. However, Skoda every now and then comes out with more "editions" that may have an influence on the fun brand part.
Just curious to know, if you have done a test drive of the DSG variant?
From one satisfied (driving the Vento 1.5 TDi DSG) customer, I can talk of only good things about the DSG TDi variant.

Quote:
1. Skoda Rapid felt more fun to drive - but Skoda after sales & support is pure horror as per innumerable posts in this Forum ; Is the VW Service / Support any better than Skoda in the long run ? I usually keep my cars for at least 8/10 years and like to maintain them as good as I can
As per this Cardekho article, VW has 108 service centers whereas Skoda has 75 service centers across India.
So, there is a marginal inclination towards having more and better options for VW support. Having said this, it also depends on the dealer situation in a particular city.

Quote:
2. Skoda Rapid Onyx and Vento TDI Highline both seem to be costing almost same - so no major differentiator there (at least financially)
That's correct. The base prices / top variants of the diesel variant are priced quite close.
Skoda's top variant is actually the 1.5 TDi "Edition" whereas that of VW is the "Highline Plus". The autobox could add approx INR 1.20 lakhs on top of the manual variant.

Quote:
3. Some BHP-ians commented that the Handling and Ride in new Vento is somewhat lessened than the 1.6L mill from previous generation - whereas Skoda seem to retain the same characteristics with suspension / ride quality ; Can this be a major differentiator in the long run ? within City and highways / rough terrains ? In my short test drives I couldn't make out the difference , hence the question !
I doubt if that is really the case, based on my own experience. I bought the 1.5 TDi DSG Vento in Sept 2015 and as part of buying decision, I had driven other previous gen cars too.
Launch of the 1.5 TDi (and taking out the 1.6 engine) had little to do with suspension changes/handling as such.

Quote:
5. VW has more dealerships / service centres across India than Skoda - though I will most likely use FNG services later but it will be important for first 3/4 years at least ;
As mentioned above, there is not much to choose from, but VW has a slight edge in this regard. If you eventually end up buying one, I would suggest to avoid FNG unless the issue is trivial.

Quote:
Therefore - my question is , considering all aspects , would you suggest a Vento highline TDI Or a Rapid Onyx !!
Go for the Vento if you want to take in consideration the service center point considering your city dealer situations.
Else, the Skoda is more stylish in terms of the exterior.

And yes, do take a test drive of the DSG also, just for the heck of it (if not done already). You might be pleasantly surprised
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:55   #9197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNomad View Post
Hello BHPians

I have been considering a purchase of Vento TDI Manual / Skoda Rapid - and in two minds which way to go ; I have test driven both cars - and the Skoda Rapid seems more fun to drive than the Vento !!
Hi, since you have decided to pick on VAG cars; also be mentally prepared for 80 percent reliability; 20% chances of leaving your stranded somewhere.

Well when unfortunately that 20% kicks in; in that 20%, 80% chances of warranty and insurance will play a role along with your skills at ASS to get claims. And no dents on pockets since yours will be a new car under warranty. The remaining 20% is brutal and can cause bills of any figures and weeks-months downtime.

We have a Jetta and a Rapid (Pre face-lift) at home. Before we got our DSG Rapid we did TD of Vento. Just like you somehow or placebo effect we felt Rapid was better.

We have done 55K in our Rapid in 2 years; and I did a ~4K on Jetta with 0 mechanical issues so far.

And even today I cannot take my eyes off the Rapid Onyx edition (Both red and Blue). Looks are absolutely subjective. I hope ours are alike here.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-g280vjik_skodarapidonyxedition_625x300_20_september_18.jpg

I can tell you the differences I experienced at Bangalore between the cousins in terms of ASS. Literally none! No mechanical issues in either of the cars so far. Touchwood!

Just once we had to replace/repair the DSG unit when we suffered water logging at Koramangala. We literally had to fight with insurance folks and the ASS because they were pointing at each other for the claim. my cousin had to escalate this to Skoda and get things done.(1 Month downtime)

This might have happened with VW as well!

When they're good; they are equally good; and when bad they are equally bad as well.

All in all, post 2016 the services have improved and the horror stories have reduced but not brought down to 0 with respect to both Skoda and VW. Yes; there are FNGs who do the job decently like the Bosch for instance. But sticking to ASS till end of warranty is good.

Also; please try the DSG once. It is technically 2 manual transmissions controlled my a unit. One of the best out there. We scolded the Sales rep for getting the Automatic during our test drive but ended up buying it! That's how beautiful and comfortable it is.

So, in short pick one which makes your turn back after you park it. Since the interior and mechanical stuffs are very similar in these 2; my pick would be Rapid Onyx!

Last edited by sangam_mm93 : 23rd November 2018 at 12:20. Reason: adding points
sangam_mm93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 16:29   #9198
BHPian

Guys thanks a lot for your insights and experiences with Vento & Rapid !!

yes I test drove the DSG as well , its pure fun accelerating the DSG , I reached 110/120 in no time and the car holds steady on speed ;

I should also mention that the brakes are very good on both these cars ; I applied brakes from 100+ speed and both cars stopped in straight line , there was no nose diving on breaking , either ;

For reliability between DSG and Manual in Vento and Rapid - I think I will stick with the Manuals for now (though - the DSG is more fun - no doubt about that ) either way , as I will be using the car everyday , long outages due to spare parts non-availability , Or issues with service center are something I would like to avoid if I can ;

As of now (Nov. 2018) - there are no Skoda Dealerships or Skoda Workshops in Noida , So for all Skoda Car maintenance within warranty period - one must travel to Delhi or Gurgaon which is no small task ; But I have been told there will be one shortly (in a couple of months maybe) ;

(Again , typical of Skoda Dealers I guess) - I have not received any price quote from them yet after test drives ; Sometimes - I wonder if they are interested to sell their cars at all ; Unfortunately - this also shows how little control Skoda have on their Dealerships rather than Maruti or Hyundai ;

I also noted from their hand-outs that they have jacked up their prices for Rapid Ambition Model but Skoda website still shows the old price !!

I will wait a few more days for Skoda to come back with a price quote and all otherwise I'm going to VW;
TechNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 01:30   #9199
BHPian

Hello BHPians
Got myself a 2011, 35k done Vento petrol last month. Due to a tight schedule I couldn't take it to the garage for a general checkup yet as the oil levels were normal and the car ran perfectly fine.
I plan to take it for a full service now as the brakes are lacking bite and the oil isn't in a good condition. Should I go to the ASS or an FNG?

If FNG then Please recommend an FNG near Bandra, Mumbai.
Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2018, 08:40   #9200
BHPian

Vento petrols are rather simple than their diesel counterpart assuming you are not talking about TSI engine.
Did you went through a full checkup when you purchased it? If you know about history of car than you can figure out what are the things you need to take care in next service. My experience with FNG has been much much better than VW service center but you need to find a good one.
With FNG they have the time to look at all the small niggles in the car and objective will not be get money from your pocket.
So I suggest FNG and search little bit to get a good one.
karansm4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 12:49   #9201
Distinguished - BHPian

Gents, have a budget of 9.99 ex-showroom BLR for a manual VAG diesel sedan. Looking to keep for 7+ years and to be exclusively driven by a chauffeur. Quality of interiors and back seat comfort a very high priority. Usage ~50% highway so ride quality important. Monthly mileage ~1000 km.

Qualifying cars are the Vento Comfortline or the Rapid Active. Which one?!
Old 2nd December 2018, 23:39   #9202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Gents, have a budget of 9.99 ex-showroom BLR for a manual VAG diesel sedan. Looking to keep for 7+ years and to be exclusively driven by a chauffeur.

Vento Comfortline because of 7 years warranty. With Germans the more you can get Extended Warranty, the better.

Might as well look at Hyundai Verna Crdi. Fresh and better car for chauffeur driven.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:21   #9203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Vento Comfortline because of 7 years warranty. With Germans the more you can get Extended Warranty, the better.

Might as well look at Hyundai Verna Crdi. Fresh and better car for chauffeur driven.
But back seat comfort and ride quality?
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:43   #9204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gents, have a budget of 9.99 ex-showroom BLR for a manual VAG diesel sedan. Looking to keep for 7+ years and to be exclusively driven by a chauffeur. Quality of interiors and back seat comfort a very high priority. Usage ~50% highway so ride quality important. Monthly mileage ~1000 km.

Monthly driving of 1000 km + manual + diesel + chauffuer driven - you can choose either of the Vento or the Rapid, in my view.
Since no DSG variant is being considered, there should not be any tentativeness about the gearbox maintenance and hence the 7 year warranty (currently offered by VW) is not too much of a mandatory option.
But, if you still want a peace of mind proposition and are looking to stretch ownership period for 7+ years, then Vento is the way to go.
However, with the recent developments going on at VW Group India, one will not be surprised if Skoda cars also start getting the 7 year warranty option soon.

And both the Vento / Rapid should very well address the ride quality factor plus provide good back seat comfort, especially on the highways. I can vouch for that from my Vento's experience.

On the last point of ~1000 km monthly driving, since it is not a very high number - you may still want to re-think on long term fuel savings accrued because of supposedly low diesel prices (in today's terms) vs. the higher delta price that you may have to shell out upfront for a diesel car (as compared to a petrol car) and future supposedly higher maintenance for the diesel car.
If the maths isn't too compelling, then you you might to consider a petrol car as well.

Just my $ 0.02.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:10   #9205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Monthly driving of 1000 km + manual + diesel + chauffuer driven - you can choose either of the Vento or the Rapid, in my view.

And both the Vento / Rapid should very well address the ride quality factor plus provide good back seat comfort, especially on the highways. I can vouch for that from my Vento's experience.

If the maths isn't too compelling, then you you might to consider a petrol car as well.
Well captured, thanks! Specifically on the petrol vs diesel issue I am a bit stuck. The 1.6 petrol in the Rapid is a dull performer and neither is it hugely fuel efficient plus a slow seller. The only real option is the Vento 1.2 TSI but that is hugely over-budget and would be criminal to hand it over to a driver from day 1

So don't really see any option but the diesel manual. Tending towards the Vento Comfortline as it is well-priced at 9.99L ex-showroom BLR.
Old 3rd December 2018, 15:02   #9206
BHPian

Quote:
So don't really see any option but the diesel manual. Tending towards the Vento Comfortline as it is well-priced at 9.99L ex-showroom BLR.
Last month; for a close friend of mine; I was quoted for Rapid MPI Ambition for less than 9.5 including all offers including the loyalty bonus as we already had a Rapid in family. I am not sure if such an offer is available with VW.

But my friend restricted the budget to 8 and went for i20. During delivery of this car; I checked the new Verna - very beautiful car. I found it Elantra-ish. Also; they told me they were no much discounts on Verna.

And if you compare variant to variant the VAG cars give you more in many aspects after all discounts.

I don't see VW giving cash offers as good as Skoda right now.

Since it is Chauffer driven; the DSG/Auto option can be easily eliminated which translates to one less thing to worry about.

City driving - Due to the light steering I felt Verna was better and less straining. I will never want such light steering on highway though. But rear seat comfort was not really as good as Rapid/Verna. Also the hump is more protruding and can cause some damage for 3 folks.

For the usage you mentioned Verna definitely pitches in but Vento CL/Rapid Active seem apt. If you can bargain some more I think you may get Rapid Ambition as well.

Last edited by sangam_mm93 : 3rd December 2018 at 15:03.
sangam_mm93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:38   #9207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But back seat comfort and ride quality?
Ride quality better than Vento/Rapid twins. Seat comfort as well since using it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 08:29   #9208
BHPian

Understood there's a Vento newer version coming in. Any updates on that? Is it worth trading of a 2012/2013 Vento for the new version?
Old 5th December 2018, 08:49   #9209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Understood there's a Vento newer version coming in. Any updates on that? Is it worth trading of a 2012/2013 Vento for the new version?
Didn't you already do this once (Vento trade for an older one)? Or am I confusing you with someone else (maybe @prabhuferrari)

Btw I'd probably not do it if in your shoes. No views on the changes wrt the new model btw
Old 5th December 2018, 14:31   #9210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Didn't you already do this once (Vento trade for an older one)? Or am I confusing you with someone else (maybe @prabhuferrari)

Btw I'd probably not do it if in your shoes. No views on the changes wrt the new model btw

No I didn't :-)

How is the 1.5L Diesel? I don't think it has to undergo the emission scandal surgery!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks